Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2003 7:31:03 PM EDT
So I counted about 5 pretty bad hail dings on my car. They aren't the end of the world, but I'd like to get them removed if possible.

So should I bother with the ding king? I looked up some reviews on the net, and it got mixed reviews. Doesn't sound like it's really made for smallish sized dings...

Anyone ever gotten dings repaired? How much would it run me do ya think to get 5 dings repaired?

I still haven't gotten ahold of my insurance yet (State farm). I have collateral insurance, but I don't know what my deductible is (it ain't cheap)...

Shawn
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:47:22 PM EDT
[#1]
We had a pretty bad hailstorm a while back here in E.TN/SW.VA...windows, roofs, cars,trucks,barns, everything got smacked. Area was declared a disaster so insurance companies (the good ones) started paying off quick.

Now the bad side: Every Tom,Dick & Harry opened up a "Paintless Hail Damage Repair" shop. These guys swooped into the area like locusts, got to be you couldn't sling a dead cat without hitting somebody wanting to fix your dings.

How much will it cost? That depends on your vehicle and its insurance rating. One dent in a Lexus may cost the same as 50 in a Geo Metro.

Make sure you use someone reputable, ask them how they are going to repair the dent. Avoid the "dry ice" guys, yeah it'll pull out small dings but, from what I've been told, when your car's surface heats up in the summer you'll notice the paint is separating from the metal too.
I'd consider somebody local (repairshop/dealership/etc) that way if you have trouble, at least you have somebody to go back to for help.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:52:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd get the estimate, get the insurance check and buy a gun. Thats what my friend did. My 65 Chevy was in the same parking lot and there was just alot of broken ice around it!
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:12:47 AM EDT
[#3]
High-impact dings stretch the paint and it often detaches from the metal.  If insurance pays only for paintless dent repair, and later on you have paint peeling off in sheets (ie: after you pressure wash it) then you won't be reimbursed for that.  Tell them up front you want dents fixed (use PDR where possible) and car painted.
Also - beware of the lazy PDR people - they often just drill a hole somewhere to insert their tools, instead of removing vents, etc.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:22:31 AM EDT
[#4]
A buddy of mine had his new Dodge Ram in a TEXAS hailstorm a few years back.
It must have had 100 HUGE dents in it!
He settled with the insurance company, pocketed the $ and then went and bought 100 of those "bullet hole" stickers and put a sticker in each dent!
It had a 3-dimensional effect and looked terrific!
He bought a bunch of neat guns with the $ he got from insurance!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top