Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2003 7:34:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I've read, their whole fleet is airbus. They keep all their jets the same to lower upkeep costs.  You only need to have mechanics trained on one type of plane. You only need to buy and stock one type of parts.

Not many airlines can spare the money to change over to a completely new set of planes. I don't think any airline can afford it right now. They're all in the crapper.

Plus, airbus is owned and operated all over europe, not just france and germany.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#2]
When I fly via commerical aviation,  I fly only in American jets.  I won't fly in an Airbus.   Boeing, McDonnell-Douglas, or Lockheed L-1011's for me!

But I don't fly via commercial aviation very often.
It's been years, actually.

Except for one L-1011,  I've so far only flown in Boeing products.

CJ
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#4]
[url]http://www.jetblue.com/learnmore/pressDetail.asp?newsId=174[/url]
New York, NY (April 24, 2003) - JetBlue Airways
Corporation (Nasdaq: JBLU) announced today that it has placed an order with Airbus for the purchase of 65 new A320 aircraft, with options for a further 50 new aircraft.

The newly ordered aircraft will be delivered starting in 2004 and running through 2011. In addition to the 41 aircraft already in service, JetBlue already had 46 A320s on firm order. With today's order for up to 115 additional aircraft, JetBlue's fleet could grow to as many as 202 A320 jetliners by 2012. [V]

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I wonder if any of you know that Airbus, being an illegal monopoly as defined by U.S.A. laws, have a treaty with our federal government giving them an exemption. Boeing use to complain about this and lobby to set guidelines on removing the exemption at a certain point, but now it appears that they decide to fight fire with fire and embarked on an acquisition spree.

Airbus came about because the European aircraft industry makes stupid mistakes that are costly. Some examples are the British Comet and the Concorde SST. They were so far behind, they decide that only way was to form a multi-government subsidized AC-manufacturer
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 10:53:47 PM EDT
[#6]
JetBlue is based in my hometown of Melbourne, FL.

Maybe I'll drop by their office and give the CEO a wedgie for not Buying American.

CJ
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone know where those Greyhound buses are being made?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 11:15:10 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Well Im going to guess most of thier busses are Prevost Which are made in Canada.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 11:17:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do not know now, but the last Greyhound I was in (1996) had a 6cyl Detroit (probably a 6v71)  
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 11:19:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well Im going to guess most of thier busses are Prevost Which are made in Canada.
View Quote

[size=6][b][RED]BOYCOTT!!![/RED][/B][/SIZE=6]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I think that someone will probably end up complaining about someone threatening to "boycott." Well, I for one am all for it. Companies have this idea that they can do whatever they want in search for the bottom line and no one is going to call them on it. We buy their stuff, have a problem with it, call them to complain, and what happens? Absolutely nothing! They transfer you to a voicemail box and forget about you.

What other means of accountability is there for these companies, and how else can we customers show them that we're tired of dealing with people who don't care about us and are ready to start dealing with people that do?

BTW, have you noticed that we're not even considered customers anymore? No, now they call us "consumers." Kinda makes it sound like they're not there in a business relationship with us, they're just there to feed us so that we can continue our consumption. BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT!!! Once half of the companies go about of business, maybe some people will realize that they need to treat their customers a little more seriously.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 11:46:15 PM EDT
[#12]
OK after further reserch I contract my previous statement...
Greyhounds Busses are All made by MCI Which is based in Manitoba Canada, Thier is also a Plant in North Dakota.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:38:34 AM EDT
[#13]
If it ain't Boeing
I ain't going
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:09:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:22:05 AM EDT
[#15]
In a way we should be rooting for Airbus, because the bigger they get, the bigger the drain on Europe's tax coffers, and the sooner they'll hit the crisis point... (you see, that "illegal monopoly power" comes from taxes they aren't paying, and wasteful contracts they shouldn't be getting :)...
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:55:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I do not know now, but the last Greyhound I was in (1996) had a 6cyl Detroit (probably a 6v71)  
View Quote

6V92 maybe?
6V71's were gone a long time in 1996.

Jay
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:51:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

[size=6][b][RED]BOYCOTT!!![/RED][/B][/SIZE=6]
View Quote

LOL.............

Greyhound is OWNED by a Canadian company guys!!

So it makes sense that the buses are made by us as well...

Soon we will run your economy!!  Its just a matter of time!

LOL!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I only fly BOEING. My brother works for them.
Mrs. Wildweasel
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:08:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#21]
They aren't mexican. [;D]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Delta Air Lines does not have the first forgien jet. they are all Boeing and McDonald Dougles which is own by Boeing now.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Greyhound is OWNED by a Canadian company guys!!
View Quote

Laidlaw is a canadian company?

hmmm...
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 12:25:12 AM EDT
[#24]
This has got to be the dumbest thread I have ever seen. Airbus is in fact a French/German company. Where, one the other hand you have the US companies like Boeing and MD. I am a mechanic for a major airline. We have a descent share of both Airbus and Boeing. They both have thier perks. While Boeing is the traditional workhorse of the air. Airbus has so much awesome technology that it takes to the sky. Also, when you make a stupid post like this, think about everything first. The amount of avionics alone in each aircraft has got to be somehwere around 5-10 million dollars. Honeywell & Rockwell Collins come to mind. One of which is in my hometown. Both of which are American companies. The engines on the aircraft, IAE V2500 are a combined effort between 4 top companies. One of them being Pratt and Whitney. The other engine variant is CFM another joint effort between 2 companies, one of which is General Electric. I can go on and on. So next time think about what you say. In the end you may hurt Americans, such as me. If you dont fly my airline, they sell less seats, they cut flights, they cut aircraft, they cut jobs. In closing, Airbus is my favorite type of aircraft, because of the amazing systems onboard. Just take a look at my login name.......

Robert
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 3:04:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This has got to be the dumbest thread I have ever seen. Airbus is in fact a French/German company. Where, one the other hand you have the US companies like Boeing and MD. I am a mechanic for a major airline. We have a descent share of both Airbus and Boeing. They both have thier perks. While Boeing is the traditional workhorse of the air. Airbus has so much awesome technology that it takes to the sky. Also, when you make a stupid post like this, think about everything first. The amount of avionics alone in each aircraft has got to be somehwere around 5-10 million dollars. Honeywell & Rockwell Collins come to mind. One of which is in my hometown. Both of which are American companies. The engines on the aircraft, IAE V2500 are a combined effort between 4 top companies. One of them being Pratt and Whitney.
View Quote
Isn't good old P&W owned by a Canadian company now?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top