Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2003 5:35:33 PM EDT
Even though my brother digs my two AR's, he still can't get over how EXPENSIVE owning an AR can be, especially if you like to have tricked out gear.

My $900 Bushy Dissy quickly became much more expensive to own as time passed:

1) PRI GEN III tube, $300 (I sold it to get other stuff).

2) PRI FRONT FIP UP SIGHT, $175

3) Sure Fire M962Sxxx 9-volt light with 6" tape switch, $270

4) GGG UFIR Rail, $50

5) About 7,000 rds (3,000 SA plinking ammo, 4,000 XM193 for storage), who know how much I've spent on this!

6) Cleaning equipment (Dewey rods, solvents, etc).

7) Mags...need I say more?

Now, I still want an AIMPOINT M2, a KAC RAS M5 (Hopefully, ARMS or KAC make a rifle length FF rail system ala SIR and RAS II soon), GGG cantilever mount, ACOG TA31 or TA11, and Battlegrip...for BOTH RIFLES!  This can get expensive.  And this stuff is JUST BASIC stuff.  Nothing at all like the TRICKED OUT SPR's types and all out M4-types out there.  THEN there's ammo...it's crazy I tell you, crazy...

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Werd. I've spent well over 3k for my two AR's.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Not including loaded ammo, or reloading components and tools, I've got over $2k tied up in mine.

Sonofabitch [i]shoots[/i] though.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes it is expensive and it is like a drug addiction. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#4]
It just gets worse.  I'm up to 5 now and I still have another upper that will probably end up with a lower of it's own bumping me to 6!
Not to mention all of those wonderful C&R deals that I can't seem to pass up.  I have no idea how many guns I own now....
I got the monkey on my back!
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
...it is like a drug addiction. [:D]
View Quote
And in the eyes of many in Gov't [i]{cough}Fineswine{cough}[/i]- it's even worse than drugs.

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a much better investment then Enron, UAL, or Worldcom!

AR15 $900
Case of .223 $130
Pissin off a liberal...  Priceless

Freedom isn't free, It just went up another $650
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...it is like a drug addiction. [:D]
View Quote
And in the eyes of many in Gov't [i]{cough}Fineswine{cough}[/i]- it's even worse than drugs.

View Quote

Mac you are right [b] Those Bastards[/b]. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#8]
If you use Quicken, it will shine a bright light on this subject for you. Since 04/1999, I've spent $17,003.67 on firearms, accessories, and ammo. Don't tell the wife. She will not understand.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#10]
You got off easy on your post.  Last year I made the mistake of saying that my ARs were a "hobby".  I had about ten guys jump all over me.  Everything from "My ARs are my weapons" to "we don't have a Consitution to protect your hobby".
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't want to talk about it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Spade: I want an Aimpoint scope for my Armalite.
Mother: And how much will that cost
Spade: 'bout 300 bucks
Mother: 300! Don't they make cheaper scopes?
Spade: Well, yes
Mother: Why don't you get one of them.
Spade: Well, you see, this is a [i]special[/i] scope for....
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL. Wait till you start buying Zeiss.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#15]
LOL - Shooting guns is a cheap hobby of mine.  Screw guns, try racing cars.  Man, I used all kinds of rationale for purchases, usually under "Safety Equipment".  That was my scape goat.

700 for a helmet
500 for a suit
gloves, shoes, nomex socks, tow vehicle, trailer, spare parts, hotel rooms, bar tabs, yada yada yada.

As my dad said, "Sure is better than having a drug problem."  True, but I think a coke habit would be cheaper!

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Even though I'm on my own (have been for 6 years or so) I still tell my parents that each of my guns only cost about $400/ea.  They have no clue about the market price for an AR or for that matter anything else.  My Dad will gladly shoot half my ammo w/ me, as long as he doesn't know how much I spent on the guns or the ammo.  I don't think they see firearms as a legitimate hobby.  They're gonna be really pissed next time I go home and take the lil' sis out for her first shoot w/ an AR and she decides she wants one!
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:49:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh, heck, you want an EXPENSIVE hobby?  Just become an audiophile/videophile and you'll know what it is to drop a wheelbarrow full of money in a hurry!

A million dollar home theater system (for the equipment ONLY) is within the realm of possibility.

But I think I'd rather have a million dollar arsenal.   Including a couple of tanks and lots of class III stuff.

CJ
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

But I think I'd rather have a million dollar arsenal.   Including a couple of tanks and lots of class III stuff.

CJ
View Quote

Oh yea! [:P]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Being 16 without a license and an AR is even worse. All my money is going to paying back my father and he lets me keep a little bit for ammo. When I mean a little I mean a little. I worked 2 1/2 hours today and I earned a box of Remington UMC (20 rounds). That will be gone tomorrow....

Sucks not have a license and the only work around being for your dad. He doesn't pay very well [BD]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:05:53 PM EDT
[#20]
AR's are not a hobby, they are an investment or so I tell my wife.  Who has caught themselves saying:
"I got this for 800, but I could sell it tomorrow for a 1000."(but I never will unless it is for another project)
"Think of this as an investment"
"They did not make very many of these"

If you really want something that cost a ton of money, try having a family.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

and in the event that law enforcement officials are ever inspecting your home for some reason or another it will be all over the media about how they found a "cache of deadly assault weapons" and a "large stockpile of ammo" ... then the neighbors will be seen on the news talking about what a nice person you seemed to be, and they never in a million years imagined that you could be so dangerous (even though you probably were the best suited for protecting the area from criminals) and blah blah blah.

I don't know what I hate more ... liberals, or the media

but, I digress.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#22]
When I bought my house I transported my Guns in my truck as the movers followed me with the furniture to the new home. After the movers had left neighbors started pouring in to introduce themselves.
I had the doors opened in my SuperCrew F-150 and when they walked by my truck their eyes got the size of half dollars.
I just explained I don't like thieves and I like to shoot guns, needless to say I don't have much company.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I love shooting my AR, but what kills me is the cost of the ammo-$200 a case may sound like a good price, but Russian ammo for AKs is soooomuch cheaper- like half! I have shot all sorts of Russian .223 through mine, but, compared to USGI ammo, the accuracy is lacking- nothing better than US ammo for US guns!

If you really want to save money on shooting, shoot flintlocks, and cast your own ball for it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Wait until you start paying your own way!

Bob

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Being 16 without a license and an AR is even worse. All my money is going to paying back my father and he lets me keep a little bit for ammo. When I mean a little I mean a little. I worked 2 1/2 hours today and I earned a box of Remington UMC (20 rounds). That will be gone tomorrow....

Sucks not have a license and the only work around being for your dad. He doesn't pay very well [BD]
View Quote

Your Dad is a very smart man and the older you get, the more you will realize it. Hopefully you will see this before he is gone.

Bob

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#27]
It's a great hobby!!
1. You support your gov't (RKBA)
2. You help deter crime
3. It's an investment
4. Keeps the neighbors away
5. It's fun
and so on.......
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:58:27 PM EDT
[#28]
You want to get really expensive hobbies? Try:
collecting rare art or coins
yacht racing (sail or power)
flying
auto racing
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 10:08:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Factoring in what the pre-ban reciever is worth, [b]just[/b] my hard-use carbine alone is worth about $3200.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:44:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Shooting is fun.  But shooting and hitting the bullseye consistently is even MORE fun.  That's why it makes sense to reload, because you get high quality ammo (match grade, really, if you use the right components) and can load up a thousand rounds of it for 200 bucks.   Ammo that performs that well in a factory loading is a buck a shot,  so reloading is five times better a deal.

CJ
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:55:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Hobby? I thought it was a way of life...

[:D]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Try collecting cars.  That eats up cash almost as fast as a boat.  The AR collection is to fill time between car acquisitions.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:49:06 AM EDT
[#33]

You guys spend too much on your AR's [:E]

I think I have $1100 in one preban and $850 in another (when I bought them)

All I added was a JP trigger in each and a .050" front sight.

I don't think I have much more than that in the DCM rifle I built and I had a custom barrel turned.

Ok, all the extra uppers I have don't count, do they? [BD]

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Well this is a hobby that can save your life. What reason do you need more?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Wait until you start paying your own way!

Bob

View Quote

That's the worst part, I am!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Yeah, I guess there are more expensive things you can get into, but as an AR nut and a graduate student this thing really hits the ol' wallet!  But some of you guys have some really deep pockets, so it's not as bad for you guys...lucky bastards!  

But unlike some other stuff you can get into, at least the AR bug can actually save your life and that of others (At least that what I tell my mom who just can't understand why I sink so much money into these things!).  Yes, indeed, quite a utilitarian obesession I think!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top