Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2003 1:50:05 PM EDT
I am making a batch of boudin and can't find any casings. To make a traditional boudin it should be stuffed into a natural casing for ease of storage, etc. I have been just breading and deep frying boudin balls, and that tastes great but it would be better to have it the old fashion way. Any ideas where I could find some casings in the south Tennessee, north Alabama area? I have looked in the yellow pages for slaughter houses and meat packers but the local ones that I called had none. Maybe the great minds here could point me at a source? Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:53:08 PM EDT
[#1]
www.sausagecasings.com

OMG! I posted that as a joke, but there really is a website! [url]www.sausagecasings.com[/url]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:54:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought you were gonna ask about the impressionist painter
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 2:00:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Butcher shop?

Specialty food store?

maybe even a supermarket (if they have a market for the 'do it yourself'-er)?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 2:08:51 PM EDT
[#4]
you mean like this (buy them at any butcher shop that makes their own sausage):

[img]home.wi.rr.com/antigov/guts.jpg[/img]

looks kind of gross there,

but they look better like this:

[img]home.wi.rr.com/antigov/country_sausage.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the responses. I have tried the shops that I could find close to me but will keep looking. Not many processors make cased sausage around here I guess. They all make "pan" sausage though. Maybe I have found a niche. There aint no HOT BOUDIN signs around here like back home. Hot dam! I'm gonna get rich when I get these punkin rollers hooked on one of my favorite dishes.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#6]
what kind of meat/seasonings goes into it?

maybe I'll try to make some next fall
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Pork meat, pork liver( I hate the shit but you can't make boudin without it and you don't really taste it too bad), white or yellow onions, green onions, salt, black pepper, red pepper, Old Bay, and rice. It's stuffed into the casing after it's cooked and eaten hot or refrigerated and steamed to serve at another time. Every culture has it's hamburger and this is the Cajun version of a "hamburger". Readily available at many stores and even gas stations across south Louisiana.I will send you the recipe if you want it. Lemme know.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Cajuns don't use Old Bay. Thats a yankee thing. I know... I'm a bonified Coonass and DAMN proud of it.

God I miss the cooking.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cajuns don't use Old Bay. Thats a yankee thing. I know... I'm a bonified Coonass and DAMN proud of it.

God I miss the cooking.
View Quote

watch out for the PC crowd. I seem to remember them getting their panties in a bunch at the word "coonass".

A shitload of my mom's uncles and cousins are redneck "coonass" LA dwellers. I can probably get a good recipie from them if I want to try it.

What the hell is "old bay" anyway.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I only had Boudin once. It was at the Boudin King in LA. I didn't really care for it that much, the description I had heard was not even close. I was expecting something spicy. We were chatting with the owner & she told us what was in it. That was enough for me! I don't like liver no way, no how!
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What the hell is "old bay" anyway.
View Quote

Its a spice mix popularin the Northeast & Chesapeake bay area for clambakes, crab boils & other such stuff.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Saying Cajuns don't use Old Bay is like saying Cajuns don't cook Mexican food. I like Old Bay and use it alot. It's my recipe and I like it. You can make your boudin any way you like my coonass brother.

The Arbour family has been in Louisiana since the Grand Derangement in Acadie. Got off the boat in the port of New Orleans and got a land grant in what is now West Baton Rouge parish and Iberville parish. Got family history back to the first Arbour that went to Acadie from France in 1668. I was born south of I10 and all that. Is that coonass enough for you mon Acadian frere?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:40:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Boudin ROCKS! I make my own too and I'm a yankee. I don't add Old Bay either. I eat the stuff with eggs for breakfast..Wakes you up when you hit the cayenne! Yee haw!

There are a lot of mail order sausage places to get caseings...Check em out..

Ever have Boudin Rouge? Made with pig blood!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Boudin is indeed OUTSTANDING!! I acquired the taste for it when I was stationed at Ft. Polk, LA.  If you don't mind sending a copy of the recipe for it, I'd sure enjoy making a batch.
Thanks!!
John
[email protected]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#15]
You bet, J_F. As soon as I get home this evening.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:15:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Nearly every grocery in my area has casings, dried in small quantities. Fresh stuff available at any processing plants. I order from  sausagemaker.com
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:22:38 AM EDT
[#17]
I use a fresh frozen casing.It runs $3.95 and will stuff 25LB. They sell it in grocery stores here in OK. I used to be able to get fresh in a tub that is salted but I can't find it anymore. The frozen stuff works great but if ya don't make 25lbs at a time its wasteful. TheSausageMaker has a better deal but ya gotta pay shipping and Handling. I've ordered from him for about 18 years now but he has gotten high as hell on stuff but if ya want to know about sausages read Rytek Kutas' book! I try and find it locally now. Ummmm Boudin!![hail2] Edited to add I paid 19.95 for my 3 pound stuffer....hehehe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top