Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2003 1:19:35 PM EDT
Hows the economy there? Taxes? Freedom? Would you move outta there if you could? And why? We have been looking to move for the past year and have been looking at different places I do have a friend that live in Buckeye. Any input would be appreciated. I posted this in the Az. forum but it will get more exposure here Thanks in advance.PG
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#1]
License fees for new cars are too high. Otherwise, not too bad. AZ is NFA friendly, has a Shall Issue CCW law and permits open carry. So, it ranks very high for gun freedom. It's hot as hell in the summer, but I wouldn't live anywhere else.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Larry,
What's "too high?"
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#3]
It is expensive to drive a car here sometimes...

Most of the younger people around my age want to live in Kalifornia (not me though) but all fo the Kalifornia people are moving here...

Gun laws here are pretty great most of the time...there are a few wierd things during different hunting seasons if you are out in the desert or woods.

It's hot here most of the year, but I don't notice anymore unless the snowbirds or californians bring it up.

Other than that stuff there is a lot to do in the cities or out in the woods.

PS...most of Buckeye is a hole right now, but it is growing fast, cheapd land and cheap nice houses...its going to explode when Glendale finishes the new stadiums I bet.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#4]
People drive like maniacs in the Zone, and the summers are way damn hot.  Other than that I love the state.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
People drive like maniacs in the Zone.
View Quote

That is no joke.  I was there last summer for four days and saw at least three accidents each day, and two as they happened.  Just crazy.

That said I love it there when I visit and would like to live there some day.  We were looking at a second home in Nevada but my get one in Suprise instead if the wife doesn't lose her job.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I've lived in AZ all my life, since 1968.

The damn state is growing more liberal by the minute and crime is on the rise. Huge influx of illegal aliens dragging down the economy. My wife and I are starting to think about Montana.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The damn state is growing more liberal by the minute and crime is on the rise. Huge influx of illegal aliens dragging down the economy. My wife and I are starting to think about Montana.
View Quote

Man Montana thats a move from Az. cold fu#%##ng SNOW SNOW and did I say COLD I am in the NE now and can't wait to head SOUTH. PG
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 3:56:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I retire in 4 1/2 years, Then I'm moving back to Texas!
The Kaliban have all moved East and taken over this state.
NO STATE TAX IN TX!
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Flagstaff, and further north, is some of the best climate in the country, IMO. It's high enough that the summers are much cooler, winters aren't too bad, and with all the pines it reminds me more of Colorado than Az.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sadly, I feel the same way. I have lived here all my life as well, since 1965.
We are considering moving as well, and are looking at options and states. The damn kali liberals, snow birds, illegals and ancient AARP retirees are turning this state liberal fast.
It's sad because I really like AZ, especially the wide range of climates. As someone else mentioned, northern AZ is almost heaven.
Maybe Texas, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho.....hmmmmmm
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:35:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Flagstaff, and further north, is some of the best climate in the country, IMO. It's high enough that the summers are much cooler, winters aren't too bad, and with all the pines it reminds me more of Colorado than Az.
View Quote

But the town is so run-down and looks like such a dump.  And they have that train running though it at 70 mph.

If I could live anywhere in AZ, it's be Flagstaff, but that's faint praise.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:42:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I give one big vote for Arizona.

Lived back east (N.J. and Penn), lived in Orange County, CA, and currently live in Phoenix.  I love AZ.  

Back east.  Cold and flying bugs.  Do not need it.  

CA.  I would move back to CA the day I win about 100 million in the lottery and can have a nice house on the beach.  If you are not on the beach, then there is no reason to put up with all that is bad in CA.  I would also need to be able to have a house in another state like AZ for my guns to live in.

Now, there are bad things about AZ and that all relate to the growth.  Of course, growth means jobs.  And we have them here.  The only states that might be better than Arizona are in the northern Rockies and they too cold for my blood.  Also, I do not know if there is any economic growth in these other regions.

Is AZ to hot.  I like to go outside year round.  While it gets hot in AZ, it is nothing a little water won't fix.  Yard work, jump in the pool.  Hiking, jump in the creek.  etc...  Any by the way, pool life is a good life.  Any if you want fishing in creeks, two to four hours away and you are in some nice pine tree covered mountains with great views.

Now, you have to understand my preference.  I will take the heat over snow any day.  If you like snow, you can always get to it during the winter in two hours.  Snowboarding in three hours.  But you do not have to live in it, and you do not have to drive in it, and you do not have to dress for it.  And remember, women who live in the desert are thinner than women in the snow.  It is just a fact of life.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#13]
It sucks BAD here! DON'T COME!!!!! To........HOT.............HELP!!!
AB
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Sadly, I feel the same way. I have lived here all my life as well, since 1965.
We are considering moving as well, and are looking at options and states. The damn kali liberals, snow birds, illegals and ancient AARP retirees are turning this state liberal fast.
It's sad because I really like AZ, especially the wide range of climates. As someone else mentioned, northern AZ is almost heaven.
[blue]Maybe Texas, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho.....[/blue]hmmmmmm
View Quote

Don't ya think about the F'ing SNOW and cold is it really getting that bad and if so what is getting bad? Taxes state income tax is what? 5%  Excise taxes? Gun Laws? Fu@%#ng Ca. I have to say I am in Ma. and WE SEE THE RIPPLE EFFECT OF CA. COMBINED WITH OUR OWN STUPID SHIT HERE ALSO. Man I wanna get the F'ing hell outta here  
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#16]
It smells funny in Gilbert!
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Avoid Cochise County like the plague. It is one of the most corrupt, dirty sh.. holes I have ever experienced. F... that S.E. corner.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:55:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Man Montana thats a move from Az. cold fu#%##ng SNOW SNOW and did I say COLD I am in the NE now and can't wait to head SOUTH. PG
View Quote

If you're looking for a better climate, check this..(Good Pro-gun laws..)

[url]http://bandonbythesea.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I've lived in Tucson since 1981, and I really like it - not too big (Phoenix) not too small.

I'm not happy with the influx of Californians liberalizing the government (move away from oppressive government just so they can institute the same damn thing [i]here[/i]), but overall it's a very nice place to live.

I would prefer to live in Northern AZ where there are some trees and the summers are cooler, but I'm an Electrical Engineer specializing in control systems, so the work is in Southern and Eastern Arizona.  I could probably get a job in Phx, but I'd rather get a sharp stick in the eye.

I lived here over five years before the summer heat really got my attention.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:43:21 AM EDT
[#20]
BTT for the Sunday shift
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Northern Arizona is full[;D]. Please move on.

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#22]
In Phoenix, jobs are little tough to find.  It depends on your field.

Taxes are normal.  Sales tax is around 8%.  Property taxes aren't too bad.  Registration for cars SUCKS.

Housing is pretty cheap.  $150,000 buys you a nice 3 bedroom house.

Gun laws are some of the best in the nation.  CCW, Class 3, no waiting periods for purchases, and you can have a loaded gun in your car without a ccw.

Summers get a little hot.  Anything above 105 is pretty hot.  Below that is tolerable.  Great place to live. I wouldn't live anywhere else, except in the summer time ;)
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:32:00 PM EDT
[#23]

If you move here your car insurance will double. Phoenix has about the highest auto theft rate in the country. I had my truck broken into about a year ago. And last Thursday someone broke into my work van and stole some of my tools. We also have three of the most deadly intersections in the country. ( 19th. Ave & Nothern, 7th. st. & Bell, 32nd. st. & Greenway). We also have the seconed highest death rate of pedestrians in the country. And the people of Az. voted in a Dyke as governor. We also have the most fucked up drivers in the country.  RED means go in Arizona and if you pass someone while doing the speed limit. Plan on that person that was driving slow to race to get back in front of you.

Other than the above I enjoy living in Arizona. If they try to and get restricted gun laws here though, I'll move to Texas.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:34:25 PM EDT
[#24]
The dyke got voted in governor because the republicans nominated a mormon
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:41:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The dyke got voted in governor because the republicans nominated a mormon
View Quote

Uh... no - not exactly.

Once [b]AGAIN[/b] a third-party candidate (Independant Candidate Mahoney) SPLIT THE CONSERVATIVE vote and we wound up with the "Greater Of Three Evils" [;D]

When the FUCK will these third-party conservative candidates learn that [size=3][b]IF YOU CAN'T WIN THE REPUBLICAN PRIMARY - YOU ARE [RED]NEVER[/RED] GONNA WIN THE GENERAL ELECTION!!![/B][/size=3]
You're just gonna FUCK it up for EVERYONE and let a LESBOCRAT win [stick] [chair] [pound]

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#26]
All of this talk of AZ again... I've been looking at land there (in the North) so I may visit you soon Rockdoc!!! LOL.

...but I have wondered about the job situation there. As it is now I have a govt. job but have an electronics background. So there may not be much work for me in the north but I would still like to have land there.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 12:41:37 AM EDT
[#27]
I love AZ too. Althpough keep in mind that as far as the anit-gun morons comming in from cali are going to have a hard to ruining our gun laws. In the AZ constitution it says that no area can pass more restrictive laws than the state. And it says in our state constitution that everyonr has the RKBA.

As far as a place to live, I am in Queen Creek. Kinda nice but it is far from everything in PHX. Although housing is cheap and its suppost be be the next big delevloped area.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 1:51:42 AM EDT
[#28]
    I've lived here all my life, 30 years.  My complaint has always been the summers.  I don't fair too well in the heat, and it gets damn hot!  It's common to walk outside and wonder where the oxygen is.  As noted above, the car registration is horribly expensive.  The traffic is my biggest complaint nowadays.  I live in Phoenix and it's impossible to get anywhere in the valley.  When I was 16 we actually had rush hour and bad traffic during certain times of the day, now it's all day!   Also a lot of bad drivers and bad attitudes.

I'd say for the most part Arizona is still a good place to live however.  The growth is getting out of hand and will someday force me out I'm sure.  Everyone seems to come here for one reason or another.  The east and north to get away from the cold, the liberals to ruin the state, and the Hispanics (mostly illegal) to work, among other things.  

The best part of Arizona for me is the gun rights are better than most states.  The police also don't freak out on gun owners who are otherwise normal-looking non-suspicious citizens.  The sidewalk folds up too early in my opinion, but I'm a night owl.  Excellent green forests up north (approximately 200 miles) with lots of camping and shooting.  Very little good fishing, however, I only fly fish and AZ sucks for that IMO.  Is Arizona better than Nevada?  I think so.  NV is so depressing to me, very desolate and too much desert.  NM is also not someplace I've ever liked much.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top