Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2003 7:21:28 AM EDT
Not a "how to" [:D]  so much as info on past church shootings.

I'm doing a "position paper" for my churches leadership on concealed carry, and want to be able to document that shootings in churches is a real concern.

(thereby validating the need for concealed carry in church)
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone???
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#2]
found this with google

[url]http://www.angelfire.com/in/GodsWarning/News/Churches.html[/url]

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#3]
[url]http://www.domini.org/openbook/home.htm[/url]

here's stuff from outside the US, don't know how helpful that would be in argueing for carry here in the USA
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not a "how to" [:D]  so much as info on past church shootings.

I'm doing a "position paper" for my churches leadership on concealed carry, and want to be able to document that shootings in churches is a real concern.

(thereby validating the need for concealed carry in church)
View Quote

Are you actually concerned about a shooting in church, or do you just think it's a PITA to stash it before attending?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I want to be able to protect myself, my wife, and others no matter where I am.

I want to know that my Christian brethren are not so blinded by anti gun propaganda as to not see the truth that guns save lives.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:28:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I've heard of 'em in CA, (and a synagogue), and texas, not to mention all the church arsons and "hate crimes". It is an individual Christian Man's [b]DUTY[/b], to defend himself, his family, and his friends. Does one abandon his Christian duty when he enters the House Of The Lord??
God Forbid!! [snoopy]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Following are a few instances and relevant facts pertaining to church violence:

On Sept 15, 1999, a lone individual entered Wedgweood Baptist Church of Fort Worth, Texas with a firearm, against state law, killing  seven people, and wounding  seven others in an eight minute long attack. We can only speculate what difference could have been made had state law allowed  one of the attendees to have a self-defense firearm on his person. The unarmed parishioners were at the mercy of the killer as he moved throughout the church sanctuary, hallways, offices and rooms randomly killing and wounding teens and adults alike, while making demeaning comments about Baptists' religious beliefs.

On July 24, 2000, a man walked into a Savannah, Georgia church and stabbed his estranged girlfriend to death in front of church members. The man had been arrested a week earlier  at the St. John's Baptist Church following an argument at the church with the woman.

From April – July 2001, 10 Southern Illinois churches were  the target of gunfire. Eight of the churches were in the Carbondale area.  The attacks were carried out after dark during evening services, the perpetrators speeding away in a vehicle before police could be called..

On March 10, 2002, a priest and 73-year old parishoner were killed by a lone man who entered the Lynnbrook, NY York church and fired multiple shots with a rifle. A parishoner and off duty police officer were able to wrestle the rifle away from the shooter.

On December 1, 2002, a man burst into St. Mark’s Catholic Church of Richmond, CA and shot a man attending services with his wife and daughter, after attempting to rob him.

On February 23, 2003 a man entered a Phoenix, AZ church and began randomly firing shots toward the front of the church. There were no injuries reported. The incident apparently was caused by a domestic dispute between the shooter and a church members daughter.

On March 23, 2002, a destrought man entered  a Pasadena, Texas Pentecostal church and shot four people, after the woman he had been stalking for weeks had refused his advances. Desperate to stop the harassment, the family of the woman had been meeting with the pastor for counseling when the gunman burst into the church.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Personal experience right here.  A pastor and deacon from my previous church was killed by a former church member with psychological problems.

Please email me if you need full details.  Suffice it to say that a CCW might have been useful and ultimately did make a difference.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top