Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2016 8:46:52 PM EDT
and by good I mean informed or knowledgeable about how the mechanics of a gun works...  this shit is frustrating.

1. So many people that will either bad mouth a product when they are doing something to cause a malfunction. (IE bad mags, bad ammo, not following manufacturer instructions)

2. Bad mouth a bad product that really is bad but when they describe why its having that malfunction they are totally wrong.

3. Give good ratings of a product by explaining away a malfunction.

4. Speak or type as if they are coming from a background full of knowledge but get half of what they say wrong.

5. Reviewers that don't understand that some guns can be made to work. (regardless that I think that manufacturers need to fix their mistakes.)

Are there any good reviewers out there that are actually into firearms as more than just a hobby with advanced firearm mechanic understanding?

This is not meant to take away from some of the actual good reviewers out there but they are few and far between.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I watch videos of people that bought the gun with their own private money and used it extensively. There still some youtubers that are guileless.

I no longer watch Hickok45, MAC, IV8888, etc. because they've been bought. If they weren't downright bought, their opinions have been slighted because they either unknowingly give an altered opinion or they give things a pass because they didn't pay for it on their own. As in words, they are biased if they intend to be or not. Shooting guns is fun, shooting FREE guns and ammo is always a positive bias.

I'd give a Hi-point 10/10 if I didn't have to pay for it and had an ammo sponsor and it worked when it needed to. But it doesn't make it a treasure.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I like reviews by Patrick Sweeney.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Gun Rag writers are reluctant to say something bad.  No advertising dollars follow if they do.  Even the gun rag media is agenda driven.

I trust a good interweb site moar.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:00:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I watch videos of people that bought the gun with their own private money and used it extensively. There still some youtubers that are guileless.

I no longer watch Hickok45, MAC, IV8888, etc. because they've been bought. If they weren't downright bought, their opinions have been slighted because they either unknowingly give an altered opinion or they give things a pass because they didn't pay for it on their own. As in words, they are biased if they intend to be or not. Shooting guns is fun, shooting FREE guns and ammo is always a positive bias.

I'd give a Hi-point 10/10 if I didn't have to pay for it and had an ammo sponsor and it worked when it needed to. But it doesn't make it a treasure.

View Quote

I work in the firearm world so people ask me for my opinion all the time. I tell them right off the bat that I am a Beretta fan boy and I am biased towards Beretta's because I love that company so much.

But I am not just speaking about the big time reviewers but rather the guy that the only gun he has ever owned is the one he is reviewing and he is just filling it with all kinds of horrible (read wrong) information.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:03:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Just buy things with proven track records, not what some YouTube celebrity says. Easy.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Gun Rag writers are reluctant to say something bad.  No advertising dollars follow if they do.  Even the gun rag media is agenda driven.

I trust a good interweb site moar.
View Quote

I am speaking more of internet videos and blogs.

then on some of the videos or blogs the comments really hurt my head with all the "Expert" advise.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:05:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
and by good I mean informed or knowledgeable about how the mechanics of a gun works...  this shit is frustrating.

snip
View Quote

this is arf in a nutshell

couch commandos that regurgitate bullshit that another member post
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:08:54 PM EDT
[#8]
TNoutdoors9 is a pretty good channel,  he has some humor but buys all the stuff.

seems like a straight up guy.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Nutnfancy from what I've heard buys his own guns and will actually say if they suck or not

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip

I can deal with ARF because for all the bullshit there are plenty of knowledgeable people on here. A nice selection of gun experts that I can ask questions of and get good answers.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nutnfancy from what I've heard buys his own guns and will actually say if they suck or not

View Quote

yes but a gun expert he is not.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Most recent review I watched was Colion Noir going over the new Sig Legion. Man do I want one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:23:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I just watch 3 or so youtubes for a gun I am interested in.  There are plenty of  real people that bought X with their own money and give an honest review. If they pack it with sand  and peanut butter just move on to the next review. This guy Sootch00 does good reviews I guess.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I despise the times that I have to watch a gun or reloading youtube video, either reviews or for support. They all start the same; a cheesy drawn out logo animation with obnoxious music. This intro lasts about 30 seconds too long. Followed by some variation of "Heeeeeey, this is so and so here with a (insert subject)".  This will devolve into a cacophony of "uh uh uh" as they demonstrate the lack of preparation they have put into their video. Followed by shaking camera, poor lighting, and rambling about the most mundane details that have nothing to do with the subject at hand. If you can suffer through the video, you are then treated to an "outro", usually complete with a cringe worthy sign off from the host and a repeat of the obnoxious music and amateur animated logo. I strongly believe that the problem of illiteracy and incompetence is more widespread than previously thought.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:46:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Old_painless is who you seek, that and truthaboutguns.com
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I like AK Operators Union. If something is shit, he'll say so.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:04:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Truth about guns has its own jewels of   by some of their writers and a lot of the commenters.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:06:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Truth about guns has its own jewels of   by some of their writers and a lot of the commenters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree and in a review you have to swift thru the bullshit. They at least post pictures of proof and what not. The comments well there's a reason I don't scroll down that far
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:10:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True. But he does have more experience than most Joe blows and is honest. He will bad mouth gear after giving it an honest chance. He does give some good data, you just have to get past the extra words in between. But he definitely makes sure you know he can't be bought. Lol I think he's actually burned some bridges because hes bad-mouthed pet brands.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I despise the times that I have to watch a gun or reloading youtube video, either reviews or for support. They all start the same; a cheesy drawn out logo animation with obnoxious music. This intro lasts about 30 seconds too long. Followed by some variation of "Heeeeeey, this is so and so here with a (insert subject)".  This will devolve into a cacophony of "uh uh uh" as they demonstrate the lack of preparation they have put into their video. Followed by shaking camera, poor lighting, and rambling about the most mundane details that have nothing to do with the subject at hand. If you can suffer through the video, you are then treated to an "outro", usually complete with a cringe worthy sign off from the host and a repeat of the obnoxious music and amateur animated logo. I strongly believe that the problem of illiteracy and incompetence is more widespread than previously thought.
View Quote

This, and often they haven't used it long enough to render any sort of opinion other than "It looks really cool and its so badass".   So then for the next five minutes you're treated to the poster jabbering about the painfully obvious like how cool things like the flip up sights are (as he fiddles with sights while camera shakes like he's having a seizure for two minutes), and noting with particular interest the stunning fact it has a barrel, and that "the rail is pretty cool too."

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:48:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted: This guy Sootch00 does good reviews I guess.

View Quote
lol, I have never seen him do a negative review.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:06:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: This guy Sootch00 does good reviews I guess.

I like his ideas and vids... But yeah I've never seen a negative one ether and it does seem like he sticks to certain pet brand's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top