[#1]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:13:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:14:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

THANKS!
I just needed that stuck in my head after having not heard it for 20 years!
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#4]
maybe your son feels that his personhood is being invalidated by the white male patriarchy

so the fears are just a manifestation of his marginalization by society

perhaps a little age-ism is going on

are you forcing gender roles on him unfairly?

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#5]
You have to desensitize him.

Show him this

ETA:

And this

And even this

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's a children's film on the subject that should help him confront his fears.  Good luck
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I would tell my little one, the monster under the bed fears me and she has nothing to worry about. She used to say you better hide monster my dad is coming. Kids are two much.

Now she is 9 and the other day we had a mouse in the house, and she told me not to worry that she could kill it.  All while telling her mom the mouse fears her. Guess it worked then.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:16:25 PM EDT
[#8]
hide in the closet and jump out in the middle of th night, if you do this enough times they will get used to it and not be scared any more
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#9]
When I was young I had an almost paralyzing fear of the dark. I was a completely normal kid otherwise (keep telling that to myself anyway ) but always was terrified to be alone in the dark.

The only thing that changed it was getting older. Think early teens. No amount of reasoning could make me less scared. I knew there was nothing to be afraid of, but that didn't help a bit.

My oldest daughter inherited it from me. She's 11 and won't go upstairs alone even during broad daylight sometimes. Has yet to sleep alone in her room (she makes my 9 y/o son sleep in her room). My wife doesn't understand because she didn't have this fear when she was young, but I let her get away with stuff because I remember how paralyzing the fear of the dark can sometimes be.

He'll grow out of it. Eventually.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:18:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#11]
My old man would hide under the bed just before bedtime so that he could reach up from below and scare the shit out of us after mom read us a bed-time story and turned out the lights.

Maybe that's why I'm so broken
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#12]
After having a kid, I'm realizing that the behaviors of a kid and a very loyal dog are similar in some aspects. A dog would wait by the door or look out the window at you if you went outside to get something from your truck and bark at whoever gets within 100 yards of you. A dog would get up and try and find you in the house if you were there when he fell asleep but no longer are, now. A dog likes it when his whole pack is home and is on edge when not. Obviously your son is not a dog nor does he actually act like one. They're not the same by any means. But just like a dog with separation anxiety, once he realizes (after much repetition) that you are coming back and he is safe, it'll probably subside to an extent.

But I honestly have no idea what I'm talking about. This is 100% speculation.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:21:14 PM EDT
[#13]
So hiding in his closet and scaring the shit out of him hasn't worked?
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#14]
My father used to say that there is nothing out there that isn't more scared of you than you are of it.  Then he would go make me water the cows late at night, after a while you just got used to it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Baba-DOOK-DOOK-DOOK!
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't know, all I had to do was tell them there wasn't anything in the house in the dark that wasn't there with the lights on and it was Daddy's job to keep the house safe.

I've never bothered with sheltering my girls from scary stuff on TV, beyond telling them I'm watching scary grownup stuff and they shouldn't watch if they don't want to see scary stuff.

Kids never had unusual fears, or nightmares. Had some issues when my dad died suddenly, they were close, but that passed quickly.

They had a night light until they were about 4, then it burned out and they didn't seem to care after the first night..
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:25:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I guess I didn't get anything from your post that details his fear of the dark.  For example, my daughter loves to get her flashlight and follow me outside when it's dark.  It's not fear, I think she just loves playing with her flashlight that I got for her.

My 5 year old will do the same thing if I suddenly disappear.  I generally just tell her that I'm going to bathroom, other room, etc and that seems to solve the problem.

Does he actually say he's afraid of the dark?

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
hide in the closet and jump out in the middle of th night, if you do this enough times they will get used to it and not be scared any more
View Quote

Lmao my dad did something similar once when I was little.

He hid under my brother and I's bunk beds and grabbed me when I peeked under after hearing a noise.

Scared for life.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#20]
A friend of mine had a similar issue with his son.

First thing he did was go to an army navy store and bought an old gas mask.  You can imagine the rest.

The kid ended up ok.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:27:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:27:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm not buying a cow  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My father used to say that there is nothing out there that isn't more scared of you than you are of it.  Then he would go make me water the cows late at night, after a while you just got used to it.
I'm not buying a cow  

I'd like to hear you explain the need for a cow to the wife

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think you could convince me that imaginary monsters are more scared of me than I am of them. That is, after all, most likely the thing of which most kids are afraid.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#25]
My dad handed me a .45 and told me not to be a pussy.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:29:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So hiding in his closet and scaring the shit out of him hasn't worked?
View Quote

I did that hiding in the bathtub in the bathroom with the lights off.   3 years ago.   Kid still won't go in a dark bathroom.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I was always scared there was an alligator under my bed

But then again we were in south florida and we had alligators in the yard

YMMV
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:30:53 PM EDT
[#29]
My five year old son did this for a while, now my 95lb lab sleeps beside his bed every night and all is good in the world.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#30]
give him this.

he will loose his fear of things in the dark.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Ask him: you know how in a video game it says "you cannot sleep when enemies are nearby?"

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Above all dont make a big deal out of it - he will pick up on it and it wont help anything.

When we were kids, every time there was a real bright full moon Dad would get us out doing stuff around the farm, which was his way to show us "there is nothing there that isnt there in the daylight." You might try that.

When I got up a little older we had hunting dogs and Dad got us into it, and you got to where you really enjoyed being out in the dark. Times are diff now, I know... just go easy on the little feller and try not to put him in scary situations and cut off the damned tv. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#33]
NODs
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:33:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Give him someone to be in charge of.

A cat will do.

He will be so hard at work trying to herd the cat around he won't have time to be scared of the dark.

Besides, you can tell him cats can see in the dark and if the cat is relaxed he should be too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My hot tub and my favorite tree, neither of which my wife liked, just disappeared on separate days when I was at work. I would not give the cow much of a chance  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not buying a cow  

I'd like to hear you explain the need for a cow to the wife

My hot tub and my favorite tree, neither of which my wife liked, just disappeared on separate days when I was at work. I would not give the cow much of a chance  

On the bright side, you might get steak that night.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#41]
1. Lock him in a very dark closet.
2. Wait for son to start crying.
3. When he stops crying, let him out.

Repeat until he stops crying.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A watch that he can't tell time on and a jammomatic pistol? I guess he would like the flashlight  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
give him this.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/ledsleddiv/012_zpsb7d6c061.jpg
A watch that he can't tell time on and a jammomatic pistol? I guess he would like the flashlight  

Forget being scared of the dark, if your 3 year old hasn't been taught a failure drill yet, you gave failed as a father.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
give him this.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/ledsleddiv/012_zpsb7d6c061.jpg

Forget being scared of the dark, if your 3 year old hasn't been taught a failure drill yet, you gave failed as a father.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#44]
just do this.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:37:45 PM EDT
[#45]
My son just turned three and gets a bit freaked out if there are weird shadows but overall he has been good.   I just put him to bed and say I'll come check on him, he is usually out after 15-20 minutes.  

He will look for us if we leave the room for any extended period of time but overall he dont give a shit.   I just give him a heads up, "hey buddy I'm just running upstairs or downstairs"  I usually get an "ok dad or ok hulk" (I'm the hulk, mom is spiderman and he is either superman or batman)

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#46]
This should be the official children's discussion thread.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Here you go
View Quote

This. Green eye privilege will cure it in no time.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:42:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My son learned about shadows from Curious George (someone has to raise this kid) and they don't bother him.  

I got him a helium balloon and turned off the light, the balloon was kind of like an ominous floating head in the dark
"take this?"
'YES PLEASE!" from under the covers

I freaked out and punched the funking balloon in the hall that night when I went to the shitter
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My son just turned three and gets a bit freaked out if there are weird shadows but overall he has been good.   I just put him to bed and say I'll come check on him, he is usually out after 15-20 minutes.  

He will look for us if we leave the room for any extended period of time but overall he dont give a shit.   I just give him a heads up, "hey buddy I'm just running upstairs or downstairs"  I usually get an "ok dad or ok hulk" (I'm the hulk, mom is spiderman and he is either superman or batman)

My son learned about shadows from Curious George (someone has to raise this kid) and they don't bother him.  

I got him a helium balloon and turned off the light, the balloon was kind of like an ominous floating head in the dark
"take this?"
'YES PLEASE!" from under the covers

I freaked out and punched the funking balloon in the hall that night when I went to the shitter

we currently have a life size stormtrooper ballon floating in the house, I hate that fucking thing.

I am also sad to admit I have seen just about every fucking episode of Curious George
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top