Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2016 4:06:43 AM EDT
Hopefully not a dupe...............

The U.S. Army is touting a new and improved lubricant for small arms ranging from the standard M4 carbine to the M240 machine gun, officials said.

"Unlike the conventional “wet lubricant” known as CLP (for cleaner, lubricant and preservative), the new product uses a dry surface treatment known as durable solid lubricant, or DSL, according to a press release on Tuesday from officials at Picatinny Arsenal in New Jersey.

The push to develop the new technology dates to 2003, when engineers realized soldiers were experiencing problems with weapon stoppages in sand and dust environments, including in war zones in Iraq and Afghanistan, if cleaning procedures weren’t followed, the release states.

The new durable solid lubricant developed by engineers at the U.S. Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center, or Ardec, uses a dry surface treatment that’s applied during the manufacturing process and has the potential to improve performance on any number of small arms while decreasing maintenance, according to the release.

Adam Foltz, an experimental engineer at the center, explained the differences in the technology.

“With typical wet lubricants, soldiers need to reapply in order for the weapon system to function properly. Soldiers also have to regularly clean off carbon residue that builds up from firing and it can be tough to clean,” he said in the release. “Our DSL has a high wear resistance and a low friction coefficient, so it’s easy to clean off anything that builds up. You can use a steel brush to knock off any residue, and you don’t even have to worry about reapplying anything.”.......................
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:12:13 AM EDT
[#1]
What unicorn farts is this?

Teflon or some shit?

CLP works just fine.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:13:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Nothing against you RDak, but I'm so tired of every year seeing a "durable solid lubricant " and it's eventual downfall, I just don't care.

Silicone, Graphite, and other "miracles" have been around for decades, this new and improved crap is nothing more than typical snake oil salesmanship.

Remember FrogLube?

the new technology dates to 2003, when engineers realized soldiers were experiencing problems with weapon stoppages in sand and dust environments,
View Quote

And how the heck will this replace a good cleaning?
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:15:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll stick with 5w-20 synthetic.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:15:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Dry and caking is better than wet and sloppy?
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:17:28 AM EDT
[#5]
AGNTSA
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:36:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Meh, dry film lube and CLP works just fine for me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:37:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nothing against you RDak, but I'm so tired of every year seeing a "durable solid lubricant " and it's eventual downfall, I just don't care.

Silicone, Graphite, and other "miracles" have been around for decades, this new and improved crap is nothing more than typical snake oil salesmanship.

Remember FrogLube?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Remember FrogLube?

the new technology dates to 2003, when engineers realized soldiers were experiencing problems with weapon stoppages in sand and dust environments,

No problem...........this was a semi troll post to be honest with you.

I have no idea if this stuff is good, bad, what it comes in, how to apply it, etc.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:43:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have no idea if this stuff is good, bad, what it comes in, how to apply it, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remember FrogLube?

Apply it? It sounds like it's applied at manufacturing. Wasn't it Anderson or someone who produced "no lube needed" rifles for a while?

I don't know what the verdict was on those.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:45:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Apply it? It sounds like it's applied at manufacturing. Wasn't it Anderson or someone who produced "no lube needed" rifles for a while?

View Quote

I have no idea............just got the message in my email box with the linked article.

It does seem to be something done when the gun is made though.

Will there be an aftermarket treatment made available.............I don't know.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:49:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Infarted spectromegraphitron analysis will reveal that this is actually just powdered sugar dyed black.

Five more years of lubricant development and we'll be able to bake a cake in the field with nothing but cleaning supplies, tin foil and a bumpfire stock.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:49:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I wonder if it's anything like the old Hoppe's Dri-Lube
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:56:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remember FrogLube?

Yeah it was. RF-85 or some shit like that. Verdict was it does not work for shit. Stoppages within the first 500 rounds etc.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:08:16 AM EDT
[#13]

In before Frog Lube.........

Edit:   Damnit.  Not even close........

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:10:30 AM EDT
[#14]
If i could sell some bullshit like that to the government we would all go on a cruise and purchase a few islands. One for shooting, one for drinking and one for holding prisoners.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:24:07 AM EDT
[#15]
NiB
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:28:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Uhhhmmm . . . No thanks . . .

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:34:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll stick with my left over supply of CLP from when I was in the Army...has a NSN # on it.. I wonder if I can order more when I run out.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:36:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'll stick with my left over supply of CLP from when I was in the Army...has a NSN # on it.. I wonder if I can order more when I run out.
View Quote

The Breakfree CLP works just fine.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:47:10 AM EDT
[#19]
you know.. i wonder what would happen if you threw the BCG into a tumbler with a bunch of moly...  wonder if it would hold up at all
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:47:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I recently aquired a bottle of Cerakote dry film lube, haven't looked yet at application, waiting to get my mini mill fully straightened out first, all my goats started having kids, and I need to build a new shelter first.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:49:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Speaking of lube and coatings.....I was thinking today why we don't coat the inside of the upper receiver where the BCG rides with chrome, NiB, TiN....ect?

Wouldn't it be easier to clean that way? And it's not like it gets as hot or receives as much pressure as the bolt itself.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:58:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Dry and caking is better than wet and sloppy?
View Quote
Guns should be the same as sex, wet and sloppy.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:19:31 AM EDT
[#23]
ITT we learn about people who don't keep up on technology as applicable to coatings, as well as people who don't know much about POL.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:20:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
ITT we learn about people who don't keep up on technology as applicable to coatings, as well as people who don't know much about POL.

View Quote

I don't keep up with acronyms either.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:21:31 AM EDT
[#25]
I for one welcome our new graphene overloads.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:50:36 AM EDT
[#26]
It will work every bit as good as the much vaunted ACU and the Vegetable Omelet MRE. Mobil 1 anybody??
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:53:41 AM EDT
[#27]
I've been using Mobil 1 grease and oil since the Fireclean thread. I also have Canola and Coconut oil in the kitchen if I run out The Mobil one stuff I already had so no cost really.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:01:40 AM EDT
[#28]
I suspect is some variant of a Nickel Boron type coating.

READING is fundamental, its not a lube the soldier applies, its a coating applied to the part at manufacturing.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:02:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I suspect is some variant of a Nickel Boron type coating.

READING is fundamental, its not a lube the soldier applies, its a coating applied to the part at manufacturing.
View Quote

I think this is more in line with what it is.

I couldn't find out any more about it though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:03:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It will work every bit as good as the much vaunted ACU and the Vegetable Omelet MRE. Mobil 1 anybody??
View Quote

The Advanced Combat Uniform isn't too bad (now, I think they fixed the whole crotch blowout thing), unless you meant Universal Camouflage Pattern. That... was neat.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:17:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Speaking of lube and coatings.....I was thinking today why we don't coat the inside of the upper receiver where the BCG rides with chrome, NiB, TiN....ect?

Wouldn't it be easier to clean that way? And it's not like it gets as hot or receives as much pressure as the bolt itself.
View Quote

My LWRCi upper is coated inside.

And yes, it makes it easier to clean, but it's a piston rifle so there's not much to clean anyway.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:27:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

the "new" coating have been around on the civilian side long before any dod testing. Since they have been around, they also have been proven shit for the most part.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#33]
I still use LSA, getting a bit hard to find.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:32:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Wire brush? I pass.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Five more years of lubricant development and we'll be able to bake a cake in the field with nothing but cleaning supplies, tin foil and a bumpfire stock.
View Quote

That's progress I could get behind!
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:42:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Off topic but for you guys who go camping now and then..........you take the spent wood ashes and sprinkle them on the oily skillet, mix a bit of water and you have a low grade soap.

Rinse with a bit more water and VOILA............semi cleaned out pan!!

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#37]
I am going to respond to the next RFQ with my sustainable, renewable, eco-friendly gun lube. Studies have already shown that if you charge enough for it, and put it in a neat little bottle, people will buy it...

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:52:06 AM EDT
[#38]
This shit was supposed to be a feature of the m-16 when it first came out, wasn't it?
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Only took them 13 years to develop? Making the sidearm replacement program look bad.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:59:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:01:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Is it FireClean, Frog Lube or Militec?

ETA - Or NP3, Nickle Boron, Titanium Nitrride or Black T?

None of which will actually be the commercial formulations so they can avoid paying royalties to anyone.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
get behind
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

lubricant

get behind
Giggity.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:08:47 AM EDT
[#43]
When I was a team leader I got so tired of having squad leaders tell my dudes about running weapons dry because of sand in Iraq. I was the heretic telling guys wetter is better. Especially the 249.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Oh look another lubrication thread - already lots of panties are getting twisted.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

10w-30 here.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#47]
I will stay with my old school breakfree clp and Mobil 1      50/50  mix
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:19:22 AM EDT
[#48]
They should use coconut oil
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top