Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2016 2:05:27 PM EDT
does that allowance usually cover fuel? Or do I need to ask for a gas card in my negotiations?
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Usually a car allowance is just the cost of the car.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Usually does not include fuel.

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Usually just the car and any required insurance unless they specifically cover it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Get an electric car, and charge it at work.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#5]
My neighbor has an "allowance" from his company.  I think it's $400.  They tell him he can do whatever he wants with it.  He's expected to use his personal vehicle daily for traveling around the Metroplex

Drive a paid off 4-banger that's good on gas and might end up with some extra money each month out of the deal.

Drive a $60k F150 and they'll make the first $400 towards your payment each month.  Insurance, gas, bro tires & lift are on you.

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#6]
In my experience, company cars usually come with fleet cards - car allowance just means money towards car payment.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#7]
My last employer paid me an allowance that was for their use of my POV. They also paid for the fuel.

My current employer gave me a credit card that I can use at my discretion; so if I use my POV for company biz, I can gas it from the card.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Say "no" to the allowance.  Take the tax deduction yourself.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#9]
mine does not include fuel.  

depending on the company and allowance amount some include fuel with it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Say "no" to the allowance.  Take the tax deduction yourself.
View Quote

?? why say no to money?   He can still take a deduction for mileage over the allowance amount.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
does that allowance usually cover fuel? Or do I need to ask for a gas card in my negotiations?
View Quote

fuel is separate.

you will pay taxes on your vehicle allowance check, just FYI
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#12]
My company pays car allowance plus cents per mile for everything else.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:09:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Construction superintendent here. I get $100 a week plus fuel. I use fuel for personal use too as long as it's within reason.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#14]
An allowance is just that, money to you to offset whatever you spend for business travel on your car. Depending on how much business driving you do, it can be worth it or you may be taking a loss, unless you itemize on your taxes for the amount over the allowance.

The company gets an advantage as they deduct the allowance as an expense and you pay taxes on it because it will either be in your W-2 or 1099'd to you.

If they just pay you the standard mileage money, you "should" pay taxes on it, but it won't be on your W-2 or 1099.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#15]
OP you need to ask.  It might include gas, or it might include the fuel-only expense rate which is like $0.10/mile vs. $0.50/mile.  Could also be nothing.

Some companies also have requirements on what you drive if they are paying for it.  My old company required a 4 door built in the US, which eliminates more than you think.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top