Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2016 11:03:55 PM EDT
Happens sporadically after the vehicle idles for around 5 minutes.  Vehicle is a 2008 Honda Odyssey.  There is a putrid burnt rubber kind of smoke to go along with it.

It was at the dealer all day Monday and they could not reproduce the problem or see any damage.  They did take my money though.

Youtube video
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:14:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:17:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sounds like a bad AC compressor cycling. Did you have the defroster on?
View Quote

Climate control was set on auto for 73 degrees.  Defroster wasn't selected.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:18:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Bad fetzer valve
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:18:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Wiper fluid is low
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:19:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Tough to say without actually being there but I would have to guess A/C compressor or a fan problem causing high head pressures.
Seen plenty with timing belt tensioner noises but never a smell associated with it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:20:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Bad bearing in an idler pulley?  bad accessory pulley?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:23:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Gnomes.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:25:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't they have a known serious long term problem with cylinder deactivation?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:26:34 PM EDT
[#9]
AC compressor is about to go out.  It's cycling on, and due to age or gunk built up inside of it, it won't spin freely when the clutch locks the pulley and you are hearing the belt drag on the pulley.  The smoke is it dragging across the pulley.  Disconnect the power wire leading to the compressor or plan on walking when your belt destroys itself on that compressor pulley.
Same exact thing happened to my daughters '98 CR-V.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:27:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Pissed off Japanese hornets.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:30:52 PM EDT
[#11]
The gawd awful valvetrain noise or the flatulent satan noise?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:31:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Tough to say without actually being there but I would have to guess A/C compressor or a fan problem causing high head pressures.

Seen plenty with timing belt tensioner noises but never a smell associated with it.
View Quote
That is what it sounds like. But it is near impossible to tell from audio.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:31:44 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 for AC compressor
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:33:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm going with timing belt idler because reasons.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:34:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Liquid slugging A/C compressors sound like flatulent satan and burn serp belt rubber. Usually a bad reed valve if the system is plumbed and charged correctly.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:34:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
Ha-ha the top end sounds rough as hell on that old dog doesn't it?

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:37:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Don't they have a known serious long term problem with cylinder deactivation?
View Quote

Yeah they had a programming issue that led to a class action lawsuit.  Didn't hit me until about 115k.  One of the spark plugs disintegrated into the head.  They had to rebuild that side no charge.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:39:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm going with timing belt idler because reasons.
View Quote

I had it replaced with the timing belt service at 105k.  At about 175k they told me it was leaking .  They didn't seem to think this was the timing belt though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:47:00 PM EDT
[#19]
The second time startled you.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably supposed to have an adjustment every 60k.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:49:57 PM EDT
[#21]
a/c compressor trying to cycle and not happening, pulley freezes and belt slips and makes burning smell.

or your car is a transformer trying to switch to warthog BRAAAAP mode.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:17:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
AC compressor is about to go out.  It's cycling on, and due to age or gunk built up inside of it, it won't spin freely when the clutch locks the pulley and you are hearing the belt drag on the pulley.  The smoke is it dragging across the pulley.  Disconnect the power wire leading to the compressor or plan on walking when your belt destroys itself on that compressor pulley.
Same exact thing happened to my daughters '98 CR-V.
View Quote

Thanks for the input everyone.  I'll try to get it disconnected tomorrow morning.   Inspection is up in June and I have leaking timing tensioner, bad O2 sensor, suspect control arms, bad rear hoses, and now AC compressor  

I should be at about 190k by then so I guess I got my 32k out of it.  Probably just going to drive it up until June and then donate it to charity.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:17:23 AM EDT
[#23]
The best course of action if to remove one part and if the noise does not stop you put that part back on, then you take off the next part.
You do this over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over until you identify the problem.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:27:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Clearly there is an A-10 Warthog somewhere in your engine bay.  

As the other said, something is seizing and causing a belt to drag.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:30:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Honestly, it startled me as well.  I didn't get my headphones on for the first one, but that second one was so loud because I was fixating on the valve train noise.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:32:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Angry hamsters.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:36:01 AM EDT
[#27]
A/C compressor.  Might as well go ahead and get a new belt, chances are the existing one is already fried.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:37:49 AM EDT
[#28]
So the dealer opened the hood and didn't see anything wrong.
That's about all they did and they charged you for it.

I would have pulled the serpentine belt off and inspected it and even smelled it, if there was no 'burnt rubber' smell I would suggest that Anitcitzen1 is correct.

That timing cover needs to come off and you will probably find burnt rubber residue all over the inside.
That residue will be from the timing belt.
Either an idler is seizing up or the water pump is, both of them will eat the timing belt.

Cross your fingers and hope that when the belt fails that the pistons in the engine don't eat a valve or 12 or shove them right through a couple of cylinder heads.

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:38:10 AM EDT
[#29]
That AC compressor made you jump at the end, didnt it? lol
Really got to get a stethescope on it when its happening to be sure.
Locate your ac compressor, while the engine is running with the defrost on, you will notice the clutch engage and disengage. Now next time the noise is happening, you know where to look to see if the noise is consistent with the compressor clutch operation.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:38:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Happens sporadically after the vehicle idles for around 5 minutes.  Vehicle is a 2008 Honda Odyssey.  There is a putrid burnt rubber kind of smoke to go along with it.

It was at the dealer all day Monday and they could not reproduce the problem or see any damage.  They did take my money though.

Youtube video
View Quote

Don't take it to a dealer, take it to an independent that can actually fix something.  Go to the dealer for the cheap oil changes when you first buy a vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:44:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Part it out.  Buy a bicycle.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:46:54 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

So the dealer opened the hood and didn't see anything wrong.

That's about all they did and they charged you for it.

I would have pulled the serpentine belt off and inspected it and even smelled it, if there was no 'burnt rubber' smell I would suggest that Anitcitzen1 is correct.

That timing cover needs to come off and you will probably find burnt rubber residue all over the inside.

That residue will be from the timing belt.

Either an idler is seizing up or the water pump is, both of them will eat the timing belt.

Cross your fingers and hope that when the belt fails that the pistons in the engine don't eat a valve or 12 or shove them right through a couple of cylinder heads.

Just my $.02
View Quote
This man has seen one or two of those melt down at the machine shop.

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 1:05:14 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Honestly, it startled me as well.  I didn't get my headphones on for the first one, but that second one was so loud because I was fixating on the valve train noise.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Same, I clicked and didn't have my speakers on and missed the first one. I got bored and looked at the TV when the second one happened, twitched back toward my monitor all WTF WAS THAT?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top