Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2016 8:14:07 PM EDT
Need help from the collective.  I won't go into all the details, but suffice to say a local Ford dealership's body shop is trying to screw me on something they broke putting the car back together.  They did a great job on the repair and I've used them before and have been very happy with the results, that is what makes this so frustrating.  My question is, do major shops have SOP's that include inspecting/testing major systems to assure they are working before they start their work?  My bet is they have internal documentation that the sound system was working before they touched the vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Very unlikely.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never once had a body shop test anything when I took a car for them to do body work.  They look at the body and parts under the damage, then write up the estimate based on that.  Then do exactly the work on the estimate unless told to do otherwise.

Unless your car got t-boned by a train I can't see them testing the sound system of all things.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Lack of details makes answering your question unlikely
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I work as a tech for a dealer and have for the past 17 years. None of the 5 dealers would have checked your audio system before working on it. I usually do not touch a radio unless i need to turn it off. The only thing i do is note all damage to the exterior of a vehicle. If you think the dealer messed it up talk to your advisor. If he cant help you ask for his manager. If that doesnt work you can try talking to the owner or general manager of the store.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#6]
We don't.  Then again we're not a major shop.  We tend to notice if there's a dash light on but we don't check any systems we aren't working on.  I will say though we are a pretty honest shop.  If we break something, which happens, we fix it and the boss eats it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Ah, the body shop game...

The Body Shop Game
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:58:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ah, the body shop game...

The Body Shop Game
View Quote

I knew a guy in the body shop business like this back in WV..The sad part is he could have been very successful if he wasn't such a crook.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#9]
If a car comes into my shop with the radio on the only thing we do is turn it off. Don't change the customers station or crank the volume up, just simply turn it off. Want to piss a customer off? F' with their radio.

Now, what doesn't work on your stereo now that repairs are complete? Were the airbags deployed in the accident? That will occasionally screw a speaker or two.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#10]
What is wrong with the radio? Security lock? Did they pull the dash? Air bag with radio controlls on the steering wheel? Your leaving us it the dark here. Need more info.

If the radio comes on but all the words are jumbled and unintelligible, you just need to change the station to an English speaking station. Help this helps.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Dash lights are noted.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Blown fuse?
Security disabling feature when battery was disconnected?
Did they drill a hole through it?
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:20:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Unless we have a speaker or battery unhooked, I EXPLICITLY instruct my techs to NEVER touch a customer's radio.  I have had to many owners go fucking ballistic because a tech changed the station to find a clear signal to verify door speaker operation and forgot to change it back.

It would help to have more details.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:24:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I couldnt imagine a shop taking the time to record/video whatever all the systems on a car before working on it for an unrelated repair.

With cars built in the last few years, it would take an hour, and then require driving over 20mph to activate all the crash avoidance, lane departure, seat belt tensioning, camera activation, etc.

Think critically about this
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Why do people start a thread like this and then not check back in? Is the radio in a safe? Day two?
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:34:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Dealership ?

You've got problems.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:41:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Ah bodyshops, never has there been a bigger hive of scum and villainy.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Says the customer with the thousand dollar deductible and no thousand dollars...
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Says the customer with the thousand dollar deductible and no thousand dollars...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was painting with my broad paintgun

I know a couple that are stand up guys, if i'm not doing it in house I take it to them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:08:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I know a couple that are stand up guys, if i'm not doing it in house I take it to them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have seen that broad paint gun before. Funny stuff, I can do a $25,000.00 hit on a Lexus and the customer drives away all smiles saying  "see you next time". But paint a plastic bumper for a Chevy Cobalt and there will be hell to pay...LOL. My radio doesn't work, my tires are flat spotted and my alignment is out, my air conditioner doesn't work and my dash is lit up like a Christmas tree. That Inshorrance Man said you would fix all that. My lawyer said it wasn't like that before the wreck. And my car has 2500 more miles on it than when I dropped it off yesterday. And why did you wash it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top