Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2016 9:41:20 AM EDT
Cleared a rifle that I keep loaded and noticed that the round in the chamber had a very light strike on the primer, I'm assuming from where the forward momentum of the firing pin caused it to hit the round whenever I chambered it. Is this normal and I just never noticed until now? Haven't checked any of my other rifles to see if this is the case.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:42:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Normal
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:42:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Perfectly normal.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Floating firing pin.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:44:33 AM EDT
[#4]
don't listen to them, this IS a problem. Your rifle and ammo are unsafe. dispose of them immediately. I'll IM you my address
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Normal.

For optimal reliability, don't rechamber a round too many times. The primer can degrade and be less reliable with repeated chamberings.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Cool just checking. Never noticed before, as 99.9999% of the rounds I chamber I don't see until the brass is already empty

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Can be normal, may depend on how the round is fed when the bolt is dropped. More likely if you slide the round into the chamber through the ejection port vs. letting it get stripped from the mag which would slow everything down some.

Not enough mass (I guess, momentum maybe?) behind the pin itself to light it off.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Perfectly normal.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:46:15 AM EDT
[#9]
All of the above.

I don't make it a habit of re-chambering the round. IDK if eventually anything would happen but it just doesn't seem like a good idea.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:48:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Cool just checking. Never noticed before, as 99.9999% of the rounds I chamber I don't see until the brass is already empty

Thanks.
View Quote

Are you using the charging handle or using the bolt release to chamber a round?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:57:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Typically just let the charging handle go, unless I'm reloading at the range.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:13:06 AM EDT
[#12]
First hundred posts nailed it
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#13]
GD is calming way down. he got an answer with the first post.

nobody said send it to me for inspection.

oh and for the 101st time it's normal.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Can be normal, may depend on how the round is fed when the bolt is dropped. More likely if you slide the round into the chamber through the ejection port vs. letting it get stripped from the mag which would slow everything down some.

Not enough mass (I guess, momentum maybe?) behind the pin itself to light it off.
View Quote

I seem to recall that chambering a round without magazine inserted results in enough momentum to cause a slam fire.  I think it happened to somebody on arfcom.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top