Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2016 8:27:24 AM EDT
Anyone else can't sleep when the wind is blowing strong? I can hear it outside and I can hear my house creaking with the gusts. Squeeeeeek squeak from the attic trusses. I just stay up thinking my house is going to fall down. Does anyone else stay awake in wind storms too?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:35:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I sleep just fine knowing that my home has been through 2 major hurricanes in the past 10 years and just lost a few shingles.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:50:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I sleep just fine knowing that my home has been through 2 major hurricanes in the past 10 years and just lost a few shingles.
View Quote

Is your home made of 2x4s and plywood like mine? I have tiles on my roof that I feel will slide or fall off in the wind. I have lost some before
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:00:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I cant sleep in heavy rain, I think "what if the sump pump doesnt kick on..."
but the sump pump is in the basement under the bedroom and I can just hear it kick on and off so I just lay there listening for it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:03:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
but the sump pump is in the basement under the bedroom and I can just hear it kick on and off so I just lay there listening for it.
View Quote

Heavy rain keeps me awake too. Your basement floods that much to keep it running all the time?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:22:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Heavy rain keeps me awake too. Your basement floods that much to keep it running all the time?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no but it would if the pump didnt run.
house is built into a hillside.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:26:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hhhmmm  I thought those pumps were only if water gets in the basement?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:32:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why not get an alarm for high water level?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:36:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Is your home made of 2x4s and plywood like mine? I have tiles on my roof that I feel will slide or fall off in the wind. I have lost some before
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must have a south west home built with south of the border no fucks given labor.

I have a home built with good old American pride in 1965 with "real" 2x4's (not 1-3/4 X 3-1/2) and we get winds gusts of 60 mph on a regular basis. with sustained winds of around 20-25 regularly.

I sleep like a baby and actually look forward to foul weather days.

Sorry about your house OP. I hope it doesn't fall on you and your family.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't like strong wind, mostly because my house is pretty well surrounded by trees.

So the answer is "Yes, I don't sleep well when it's very windy."
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the whooshing sound from the trees.  Very relaxing.   However, when it gets strong enough to make a rumbling noise and shake the windows, it's a little harder to get to sleep.

If it caused my house to creak and squeak, that would probably keep me awake as well.   But thankfully, only the toilet water moves up and down.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I sleep fine.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Only Monday thru Thursday
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#13]
The bedroom under the peak of my house creaks the most. Sould I worry and have someone look at it or leave it alone? House had been standing for 11 years
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I sleep fine.
View Quote

Lucky
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:12:40 PM EDT
[#15]
You would hate living in Kansas.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#16]
If I stayed awake because of high winds I would never sleep around here.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:15:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I love storms, strong winds lightnening, etc.

House is rock solid, so I just snuggle down and ride it out.

Course, the last windstorm took out 25 ft of fencing, including a 16x16 8 ft cement pilaster filled with cement and rebar.

I can't even budge it, have 3 "kids" coming over to help re-set it.

Already dragged back the 10 ft section that went 50 ft and stopped just before it took out our new picture window.

But yeah, slept through it like a baby.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#20]
The only thing that keeps me up is rain.  I'm so paranoid of water damage to the house rain, or even a faint dripping sound, drives me mad.

Me, after a thunderstorm:

There's nothing wrong with the roof.  It's a phobia I guess; rooted in the knowledge that I don't currently have the means to fix a disaster.  Maybe it's Freudian.  IDK.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:43:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I sleep right through everything....  My wife said that if a tornado blew the roof off....  I'd still be in bed sleeping.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:33:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You must have a south west home built with south of the border no fucks given labor.

I have a home built with good old American pride in 1965 with "real" 2x4's (not 1-3/4 X 3-1/2) and we get winds gusts of 60 mph on a regular basis. with sustained winds of around 20-25 regularly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My home was built in 1993. I live right on the gulf coast and Hurricane Rita (strong CAT 3) and Hurricane Ike  (strong CAT 2) came right over us. Nothing more than a few shingles lost each time. Wind doesn't bother me one bit after my home stood up to both of those storms.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:40:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Wind, rain... better than any white noise machine.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:41:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Tonight after midnight we're supposed to have very bad weather and high winds with a tornado watch. Our bedroom is underneath a giant water oak. I wish I had a roll cage over my bed, I might wear a helmet to bed.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Go right to sleep.

Lived where winds over 100mph are common.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:44:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Have had some pretty good storms here but, nothing good enough to make the house talk back. I sleep good.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:46:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I live in a VERY windy area.  It only bothers me if it gets 45mph+ which does happen a few times a year.  My house is only 3 years old.  The windows start to howl around 40mph.  45mph is when I start to worry I might lose one, or lose one of the gates or my whole fence outside.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#28]
To the contrary, I sleep like a baby when the wind is howling - more so than when it's not. No idea why.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is another one. When it's raining heavy, it's like a barbiturate to me. I'm out like a light. Just thinking about it is making me sleepy.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:49:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I can sleep through anything.  I married a good Baptist woman so as not to sleep through the 2nd Coming.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This is another one. When it's raining heavy, it's like a barbiturate to me. I'm out like a light. Just thinking about it is making me sleepy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And what is this basement thing?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:54:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

White noise.

I actually sleep with a fan. I can't always count on mother nature to provide her soothing relaxation.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:55:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I notice I worry about shit like that a whole lot more since I became a homeowner.

When I was living at home with the parents, it was "Cool!  Rain!"
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:59:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Keep me awake? No. But I despise wind. Fuck wind.

I don't know how Indiana deals with that BS.

My house is surrounded on all sides by windbreak and down in a small knoll.

Did I say FUCK WIND!?

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Keep me awake? No. But I despise wind. Fuck wind.

I don't know how Indiana deals with that BS.

My house is surrounded on all sides by windbreak and down in a small knoll.

Did I say FUCK WIND!?

View Quote

This. My concern is loosing power, then needing to get up, start the Genny and running the cords. I'm getting old.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:12:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Go right to sleep.

Lived where winds over 100mph are common.
View Quote

Do they build the houses differently when wind speeds are normally that high?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I sleep great with storms.
I cant sleep without my dog and a gun.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:20:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I notice I worry about shit like that a whole lot more since I became a homeowner.

View Quote

Yep I have to investigate every  noise since I became a homeowner
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:24:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Wind, rain... better than any white noise machine.

View Quote

The truth. I wish my house had a tin roof like the one we lived in when I was a kid. A thunderstorm is like a lullaby to me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:38:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Anyone else can't sleep when the wind is blowing strong? I can hear it outside and I can hear my house creaking with the gusts. Squeeeeeek squeak from the attic trusses. I just stay up thinking my house is going to fall down. Does anyone else stay awake in wind storms too?
View Quote

Nope I love it, sleep like a log when its blowing.

J-
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:42:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah,  "CRASH!"

"Oh fuck, that sounded expensive."
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:10:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Neighbor had a roster that crowed at all hours. You could never sleep with the window open, and even when it was closed you could still hear it.
It was either kill the roster or find a way to cancel it out. A fan was the answer and now I never sleep without one.  It pretty much cancels
everything out, the only thing that wakes me up is when the occasional bear starts in on the garbage can bin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top