Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2016 6:34:50 PM EDT
That city law requires them to post "No Concealed Handgun" signs and prohibit CCW as a matter of law and they are a Gun Free Zone required by law.

Can anyone verify this?  Sounds like bullshit to me, but it is Shitcago.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#1]
They charged me $40 for a glass of house cab.

I'm voting Cruz.  His wine has to be cheaper.

TC
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
That city law requires them to post "No Concealed Handgun" signs and prohibit CCW as a matter of law and they are a Gun Free Zone required by law.

View Quote

That's bullshit.

Trump is so awesome he invalidates all laws he doesn't agree with.

He knows people, brilliant people.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 6:38:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Jeb has the best guac.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 6:48:07 PM EDT
[#4]
link?
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wouldn't doubt it....
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Chicago makes places with a liquor license post the no guns allowed. This is in conflict with state law because of preemption.

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
link?
View Quote

Link?  I googled the fucking phone number and called and said:

"Hi.  I'd like to visit and I have a concealed weapons permit.  Is this a gun free zone?"

And the individual said "Yes".

And I said "Is that a decision from management or the owner?"

And the individual said "Its a policy.  99% of the buildings in Chicago are gun free zones.  It is a city law."

And I said "So if I understand you correctly, Chicago city law requires you to be a gun free zone and put up "No CCW" sings?"

And the individual said "Yes, it is a law."

I think that is a load of bullshit, but I cannot find a clear list of city ordnances concerning CCW.  I think it is a policy of either management, etc.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#8]
What on earth would make you think you need a firearm in this city?
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Chicago makes places with a liquor license post the no guns allowed. This is in conflict with state law because of preemption.

View Quote

So the next question is if the establishment enforces the law, rebukes or rebuts it as such due to preemption, or supports the law as a matter of policy.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

There it is...
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

If they have a restaurant or bar inside of the hotel. (Which I figure they do) that makes more then 50% of their income off alcohol then they are required to post the sign.

http://concealedcarryandme.com/where-can-i-carry/concealed-carry-and-restaurants/
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#12]
nevermind!
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

So the right to bears arms should be voided in certain localities?
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#14]
You'd think that with all the money he's donated to liberal politicians, he could've gotten an exception, assuming he actually gives a damn about getting rid of 'gun-free zones'.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. They didn't go over 3k like many at Arfcom anticipated.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:26:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

If he won't fight a bs and illegal (preemption) city law for his own property what makes you think he will lift a finger to defend the 2a?

Oh I forgot. He will defend the 2a just as vehemently as he opposed the SAFE act.....

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#17]
In your room they cannot prohibit you from keeping a loaded firearm on your person. It is considered a temporary domicile. The same applies to your car as you drive through the state. If you can legally carry in your state you may keep a loaded firearm on your person as your traverse through Illinois, but you are not allowed to leave your car with the firearm loaded. It must be sorted properly, in a case, etc. My understanding is that you can bring the firearm into the hotel, properly cased and unloaded and then load for your protection during your stay in the room (don't leave it loaded and uncased while not in the room though). It's a crappy situation as I'd rather have the firearm with me at all times while in chicago, but if it is posted it is posted. There are those that would say concealed means concealed but that's bordering on legal advice which I am not giving.

There is no city law that I am aware of that causes them to post the sign outside of any issues that would arise from alcohol sales. And as it has been mentioned previously, preemption would prevent that law from retaining any power.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:28:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone needs their sarcasm meter calibrated...
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You'd think that with all the money he's donated to liberal politicians, he could've gotten an exception, assuming he actually gives a damn about getting rid of 'gun-free zones'.
View Quote

Are there many carry permits in Canada?  
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not enough of them
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If he won't fight a bs and illegal (preemption) city law for his own property what makes you think he will lift a finger to defend the 2a?

Oh I forgot. He will defend the 2a just as vehemently as he opposed the SAFE act.....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just going to play the devils advocate for a moment. Note I am not a trump fan. But I am a business owner.

First off, CCW in general just became Chicago legal if I remember right? Few months ago maybe a year? He's been a bit preoccupied with running against the liberals, A.

B. He owns a business. It's going to cost him at least a few million to fight that law tooth and nail all the way up to whatever court he's going to need to go to. With that, it's going to make every other regulation they have in cook county come down on him, even harder. Every inspector, every contractor, every thing would cost him more.

He has a board to answer to. Or at least investors that will ask him: Why the fuck are you spending millions to fight this?

At the end of the day, running a business, you have to pick your battles. Money doesn't grow on trees

In theory, what he's doing could very well be pro 2a. What better way to legalize CCW in all of his hotels then to become president and make the DoJ take those cases to court. Instead of a private business. If the AG steps up and says those signs are illegal, his investment in becoming president vs. Fighting at city haul court, just became more worth while.

Again, devils advocate.

Edit:

The only thing Trump has done historically is use the laws to his advantage. Specifically tax law, bankruptcy law and investment law.

On a net worth of 5 billion, he could spend $500m (10%) on getting elected to president. If he can change the tax law just enough to save him 5-10% on any taxes, he'd recoup his investment in becoming president very fast.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:46:16 PM EDT
[#22]
From the Illinois Concealed Carry site...............
9)    Any building, real property, and parking area under the control of an establishment that serves
alcohol on its premises, if more than 50% of the establishment's gross receipts within the prior 3
months is from the sale of alcohol. The owner of an establishment who knowingly fails to prohibit
concealed firearms on its premises as provided in this paragraph or who knowingly makes a false
statement or record to avoid the prohibition on concealed fire
arms under this paragraph is subject to the
penalty under subsection (c5) of Section 101 of the Liquor Control Act of 1934.

(10)   Any public gathering or special event conducted on property open to the public that requires the
issuance of a permit from the unit of local government, provided this prohibition shall not apply to a
licensee who must walk through a public gathering in order to access his or her residence, place of
business, or vehicle.

(11)   Any building or real property that has been issued a
Special Event Retailer's license as defined in
Section -3.17.1 of the Liquor Control Act during the time designated for the sale of alcohol by the
Special Event Retailer's license, or a Special use permit license as defined in subsection (q) of Section
5-1 of the Liquor Control Act during the time designated for the sale of alcohol by the Special use
permit license
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I lived in Chicago for years. People dont realize how much "muscle" the Chicago political machine has. Stand up against their policies and they send out the cops, health department, building inspectors, etc, etc, etc. They will make running a business impossible if not in compliance. They are pretty much like the mafia and a large number of them are connected to organized crime or the gangs.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#25]
It's Shitcago.
What do you expect when you live under Rahm Emanuel?
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you don't possess an Illinois CCL "out of state permit / non resident permit " , you can't carry in illinois anyways.   Latest Info I can dig up is 18 out of state card holders and 131142 in state residents as of 9/10/2015.  

Chicago politics puts a lot of heavy handed pressure on business's to post the GFZ cards. "You don't want to have problems getting your business permits and yearly inspections done ?"   Post your business  
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:00:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

"Hi.  I'd like to visit and I have a concealed weapons permit.  Is this a gun free zone?"

And the individual said "Its a policy.  99% of the buildings in Chicago are gun free zones.  It is a city law."

And I said "So if I understand you correctly, Chicago city law requires you to be a gun free zone and put up "No CCW" sings?"

I think that is a load of bullshit, but I cannot find a clear list of city ordnances concerning CCW.  I think it is a policy of either management, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
link?

It was a joke, lighten up Francis.  Every time I post that I just saw something on Fox News breaking alert I get called a liar by certain people here if I don't post a link to what I saw on my television.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:31:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It was a joke, lighten up Francis.  Every time I post that I just saw something on Fox News breaking alert I get called a liar by certain people here if I don't post a link to what I saw on my television.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
link?

So, the joke is on you?

Sorry.  I don't keep up with your link problems.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:55:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
9)    Any building, real property, and parking area under the control of an establishment that serves
alcohol on its premises, if more than 50% of the establishment's gross receipts within the prior 3
months is from the sale of alcohol. The owner of an establishment who knowingly fails to prohibit
concealed firearms on its premises as provided in this paragraph or who knowingly makes a false

(10)   Any public gathering or special event conducted on property open to the public that requires the
issuance of a permit from the unit of local government, provided this prohibition shall not apply to a
licensee who must walk through a public gathering in order to access his or her residence, place of
business, or vehicle.

Section -3.17.1 of the Liquor Control Act during the time designated for the sale of alcohol by the
Special Event Retailer's license, or a Special use permit license as defined in subsection (q) of Section
5-1 of the Liquor Control Act during the time designated for the sale of alcohol by the Special use
permit license
View Quote

But there is no way that the sale of liquor makes up 50% or more of the total revenue of the Hotel, so subsection (9) would not be applicable.......
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:36:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Chicago code 4-60-140 k requires liquor licensee's to prohibit the carrying of firearms in their place of business.

http://chicagocode.org/4-60-140/

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:41:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

But there is no way that the sale of liquor makes up 50% or more of the total revenue of the Hotel, so subsection (9) would not be applicable.......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

business, or vehicle.

permit license

Which was my point in posting it.........typical way of doing things in Chicago.............THE CHICAGO WAY
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Chicago code 4-60-140 k requires liquor licensee's to prohibit the carrying of firearms in their place of business.

http://chicagocode.org/4-60-140/

View Quote

The prohibition against the carrying of a concealed firearm on the licensed premised shall not apply to:

a.

persons holding a package goods license; or

b.

premises on which the carrying of concealed firearms is permitted by:

i.

individuals authorized to carry a firearm under Section 24-2 of the Illinois Criminal Code of 2012;

ii.

retired law enforcement officers qualified under federal law to carry a concealed firearm; or

iii.

the owner, lessee, tenant or operator of the licensed premises or the agents thereof.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top