Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/22/2016 4:43:03 PM EDT
Can't decide if I want to trade my car (2012 focus W/ 72K) for a truck or not. It's worth about 8K on trade in, and I can get a 2000-2004 silverado or F150 for that. I'd like to stay under 130K miles for the truck. What say the hive?

I like tundras, but out of my price range.

Should I do it?
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Both of those model year GM and Ferds are going to be real needy.

The bubble F150 is also the shittiest version of that model type.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you a man? If so you need a truck. Ditch the chick ride.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 4:48:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Why would you trade a 2012 car for a 2000's worn out truck?

I was going to try to convince you to join the Truck Master Race, but that just sounds like a terrible idea.

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Both of those model year GM and Ferds are going to be real needy.

The bubble F150 is also the shittiest version of that model type.
View Quote

Not my favorite body style either, but and older body style will have more miles, and the newer ones are too expensive.

Have any better suggestions for models?
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't do it
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 14 crewmax Tundra.  Other than owning a Wrangler for 8 months in 2001, I have never not owned a pick up.

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was going to try to convince you to join the Truck Master Race, but that just sounds like a terrible idea.

View Quote

Because I miss driving a truck, traded my old ranger when I went to college since I was driving over 14K miles a year with little income. Now working full time, commuting less, and miss the flexibility, and ride of a truck.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Do you need to haul or tow anything? Also be ready for every motherfucker you know asking you to help them move once you get a truck. Keep the car, take the gas and repair money you save and buy a truck with it when you can afford a decent one. Easy decision.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#9]
If you can justify the truck, sure.

99-07 Silverados were good trucks with generally reliable powertrains and well documented problems with clear and cheap fixes and/or corrections.  Owner history will play a bigger part in a truck that old than anything else.

If you don't have an impending lifestyle change that would merit a truck, I would say "nah, better not."  

This is coming from a guy who has two trucks, two SUVs, and a car.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Because I miss driving a truck, traded my old ranger when I went to college since I was driving over 14K miles a year with little income. Now working full time, commuting less, and miss the flexibility, and ride of a truck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand you want a truck, but if you can't get one at least as new as the car you are driving I would wait it out.

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#11]
2007 or 2008 tundra.

Love my 2008 rcsb 2wd tundra 5.7
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Do you need a truck?
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you need a truck?
View Quote

NEED: No

Would it be very convenient for hunting/range trips/projects?: Yes
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 5:02:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Trade ins don't work that way.  The dealership isn't going to trade you straight across.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you need a truck?

Then you want an SUV, much more practical.  A truck bed will be wasted space for most of your day to day life.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 5:10:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Good luck, used truck prices are nuts.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Trade ins don't work that way.  The dealership isn't going to trade you straight across.
View Quote

If they bought the truck for 7500, and then can sell my car for 8700 they'll straight trade me.

Sucks I'd have to go through a dealer, but not sure how else to get the truck I want, and sell my car, and work everyday in the mean time.

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Good luck, used truck prices are nuts.
View Quote

QFT Ended up buying a new '14 carry over for 5-6k more than places were asking for 2010's with 100k miles.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Nobody is going to give you 8k for a 2012 Focus with 72k miles, unless they jack up the price of the truck you  want, making you think you got 8k.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#20]
It's easier to wash blood out of a truck bed.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol

Some people like sportiness..

Solution? Get both.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 5:14:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nobody is going to give you 8k for a 2012 Focus with 72k miles, unless they jack up the price of the truck you  want, making you think you got 8k.
View Quote

Focus SEL

All the packages, leather, moon roof, premium shit. I could get it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Is the car paid in full?

Can you justify car payments?

Trade the car for $8000, and buy a $16,000 truck.

That should be around $150/mo on a 5 year note plus tax, tag, title, doc fee, advertising fee, xtra-profit fee, buy the owner a boat fee, BOHICA fee, and all other fees.

So I guess about $500/mo
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 5:19:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Is the car paid in full?

Can you justify car payments?

Trade the car for $8000, and buy a $16,000 truck.

That should be around $150/mo on a 5 year note plus tax, tag, title, doc fee, advertising fee, xtra-profit fee, buy the owner a boat fee, BOHICA fee, and all other fees.

So I guess about $500/mo
View Quote

Car is paid off, don't want another payment, currently saving for a house down payment.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you need a truck?

I think you can get away with a SUV.  I had a pickup years ago and I just never used it like I thought I would.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 5:21:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Depends on your commute OP.  Don't expect gas to stay cheap, it will go back up.

That said I really wish I had a truck right now.  I bought a house less than 3 miles for work.  So if I got a truck and gas went back to $4.00 a gallon I wouldn't be screwed.  Where before I was driving 95miles round trip every day for work.  Having a truck + $4.00 gas would have totally f---ed me.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 5:22:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Hell no. Save up and buy one if you want an older Silverado. I wouldn't ditch a newer car that probably gets insane gas mileage for a truck that's old enough to be in middle school.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Unless you find yourself saying I wish I had a truck often, I wouldn't do it.

Cars are more comfortable to drive and usually get better gas mileage.

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Unless you need a truck, stay with what you have.  You'll save money in the long run.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Keep car, try to find a used truck if you really want a hunting and hauling rig. I have a 1997 k2500 I bought to replace by 2012 z71 silverado that I traded for a Subaru. Driving a truck that size sucked and back then took a lot of gas. The 97 I am making a project to paint it and use for house projects extra vehicle. I bought for 2K needed some work so I got $3200 total in it making it reliable and safe to tow a trailer  ( new rear springs, ubolts, fuel sending unit, front wheel bearings, calipers , embrace cables, etc.)
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 5:30:00 PM EDT
[#31]
can your car do this?

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#32]
If you are already looking and pricing trucks, I think you have already answered yourself.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I wouldn't if I were you.

8k will get you a beater truck and not much else.  Stick with the paid for and reliable car till you are in a better position to buy a better truck.

But you obviously know this.  You just want to be told otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a 2003 Silverado and I'm not a fan

It drives like a boat and it gets about 17mpg highway (for a straight, flat highway) and about 12mpg city.

HOWEVER
On the bright side, it is a very large couch and you can't tell you are going 60+mph, really smooth ride
Plenty of space and super comfy (and lots of cup holders)
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Mad sick IFS flex yo.  That's like 4" of suspension droop in the rear too.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Mall speedbumps sometimes feel that big.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Hey, any time you all want to take your stock truck up the Waterfall at Box Canyon, just say the word.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Keep the car.  Buy a beater truck.   That way you always have a backup.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#39]
For those asking if OP needs a truck.  Do you need a gun?
I've once made the stupid mistake to sell a truck and go with a car instead.  Never will do that dumb ass mistake again.
I've had small and big trucks.  Sedans, econobox, vans, suv's, several jeeps, even a Fj40,   I always seem to get back to a truck.  Because of kids I have a Super Crew F150.
Nothing can question the versatility of a truck.  Everyone has needed a truck numerous times.
Not only for the obvious use of hauling cargo, they serve multiple roles.
For me cargo always tend to be exactly 2 inches higher than what ever will fit in a full sized SUV. Trailering is a great option but my experience shows trailer tires suck, the suspension too harsh (seen some expensive damage).  Trailers are great to haul whatever you can't in the bed.  For me is a RZR.  For those with SUV saying they use trailers, know the drawbacks.  And wish they had a truck.
Full sized are the best.  Besides cargo, trucks are the best camping rigs.  If towing a trailer or camper, I've done a lot a bed camping.  Use a pop up canopy as shelter.  
Use the tailgate to cook on, hence "tailgating", Used the bed as a shooting platform, a work platform, better than a step ladder.  In certain circumstances, were allowed, it's a people hauler.  My full sized trucks are the best to view 4th of July fireworks from whatever place I can park and watch them.
I mean, can you do this with your Focus?:

And nothing says you had to buy a newer model truck either.  You can pick up a well used pick up, trucks will out last cars by a large margin.  Older, maybe shop for lower miles.  They truly are indispensable.  

Military uses far more pickups than any other vehicle.  A HMMWV is essentially a 5/4 ton pick up (yes that's not a typo,  Before HMMWV we called the five quarter tons) and before that they were GM trucks.

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I've once made the stupid mistake to sell a truck and go with a car instead.  Never will do that dumb ass mistake again.

I've had small and big trucks.  Sedans, econobox, vans, suv's, several jeeps, even a Fj40,   I always seem to get back to a truck.  Because of kids I have a Super Crew F150.

Nothing can question the versatility of a truck.  Everyone has needed a truck numerous times.

For me cargo always tend to be exactly 2 inches higher than what ever will fit in a full sized SUV. Trailering is a great option but my experience shows trailer tires suck, the suspension too harsh (seen some expensive damage).  Trailers are great to haul whatever you can't in the bed.  For me is a RZR.  For those with SUV saying they use trailers, know the drawbacks.  And wish they had a truck.

Full sized are the best.  Besides cargo, trucks are the best camping rigs.  If towing a trailer or camper, I've done a lot a bed camping.  Use a pop up canopy as shelter.  

Use the tailgate to cook on, hence "tailgating", Used the bed as a shooting platform, a work platform, better than a step ladder.  In certain circumstances, were allowed, it's a people hauler.  My full sized trucks are the best to view 4th of July fireworks from whatever place I can park and watch them.

http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/texas-plumber-discovers-his-old-ford-f-250-is-now-used-by-terrorists-as-anti-aircraft-gun-platform-video-90251-7.jpg

And nothing says you had to buy a newer model truck either.  You can pick up a well used pick up, trucks will out last cars by a large margin.  Older, maybe shop for lower miles.  They truly are indispensable.  

Military uses far more pickups than any other vehicle.  A HMMWV is essentially a 5/4 ton pick up (yes that's not a typo,  Before HMMWV we called the five quarter tons) and before that they were GM trucks.

View Quote

Not everyone needs a truck. The gun thingy holds no water here. I need a car much more than I need a truck so I drive a new car and my truck is a 1998 4X4 that does those things I need a truck for.

Why would I want to drive even in this day of cheap gas my 11 mpg truck everyday when my car gets 40 mpg.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/texas-plumber-discovers-his-old-ford-f-250-is-now-used-by-terrorists-as-anti-aircraft-gun-platform-video-90251-7.jpg

View Quote

Ignoring the illogical appeal to emotion regarding guns, you are missing the crux of the argument. You are making a trade off when you choose a vehicle.  If someone goes 5 years not having a use for a truck, then wakes up one day thinking they want a truck, they can use all sorts of convoluted logic to justify it.  In the end, the real question is what makes the most sense?  I own a truck and a car.  When I use a vehicle, 99 times out of a hundred, the car is the better choice.  Of those times where the truck was a better choice, I could have made do with the car, borrowed a truck from a friend, or rented one.  If I did not have those options, it would make sense to keep the truck.  If I was going to buy a new vehicle, it would make sense to buy a new truck if I needed one.  That isn't the case for me, and if it isn't the case for OP, it would be foolish to buy a vehicle that is inferior most of the time.

Do you have anything to back up your claim that trucks "outlast" cars by a wide margin?  Much of what determines how long a vehicle is on the road is how much the owner is willing to spend to keep it there.  In the case of vehicles used for business, there is a financial incentive to keep it on the road well past the point where a personally owned vehicle would have been scrapped.

The military issue is absurd since they have drastically different needs than your average driver.  An MRAP would be fun to own, but finding a parking spot downtown is a hell of a lot less frustrating with a Focus, and you will be able to buy a lot more ammo with the money saved on gas.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#43]
I bought 04 my ram for 12k with just over 60k miles.You could look for something like that
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#44]
I would keep the car, I drive nothing buy trucks, but I would keep the car.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Do you need a truck?
View Quote

Just what I was going to ask and, by the way, I have a truck and don't have a use for it other than it's a 1967 (fleet side, long bed, 4x4) that I've had since, well, FOREVER.

When I lived on our farm a truck was judged by the amount of hay it could carry or how well it could get through muddy fields.

All us young guys wanted to get a muscle car and leave the muddy ole' truck at home.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Find an old squarebody Chevy before prices get nuts on them, or early 90's Ford/Chevy as an additional vehicle.  Keep the dependable car.  

I find that if I depend on one car, that fucker will be broke down all the time.  2 or 3 spare crappy cars that aren't necessary seem to run forever.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#48]
You can look down at all the cars while sitting in traffic.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:13:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

You'd be a lot more of a man if you did what you feel like instead of what other people expect.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:50:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

These Toyota guys kill me with their "off road" vehicles.

A fucking Nissan Rogue is just as capable when both are in stock form.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top