Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/22/2016 8:05:45 AM EDT
Russia wants to fly over US with advanced digital cameras

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Russia will ask permission on Monday to start flying surveillance planes equipped with high-powered digital cameras amid warnings from U.S. intelligence and military officials that such overflights help Moscow collect intelligence on the United States.

Russia and the United States are signatories to the Open Skies Treaty, which allows unarmed observation flights over the entire territory of all 34 member nations to foster transparency about military activity and help monitor arms control and other agreements. Senior intelligence and military officials, however, worry that Russia is taking advantage of technological advances to violate the spirit of the treaty.

The request will put the Obama administration in the position of having to decide whether to let Russia use the high-powered equipment on its surveillance planes at a time when Moscow, according to the latest State Department compliance report, is failing to meet all its obligations under the treaty.
View Quote

Not much of a position for Obama, of course he will allow it,  and no doubt why they want to now instead of after the election.

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:06:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Are they promoting go pro?
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:10:57 AM EDT
[#2]
How big of a check will Obama cut them to undermine the security of the US?
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#3]
It's part of the Open Skies Treaty, that's right there in your quote. I guess Obama could withdraw from it, that would be a nice little surprise.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#4]
so the ruskis don't have google earth yet
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:13:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Why the fuck would we sign the open skies treaty?
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:15:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Ask your boy Bush the First.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:28:16 AM EDT
[#7]
If it works both ways..
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:41:10 AM EDT
[#8]
What do the Russians want to see? Miami Beach? Maybe see how busy Fed Ex is, more trucks for Russians to drive I guess.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#9]
This has been going on for decades.  Why the concern now?
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:46:27 AM EDT
[#10]
This is a ridiculous treaty that may help undermine US sovereignty.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:49:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

As I understand equipment changes have to be agreed on by both parties.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

google earth is open to anyone, if we really want to hide something I'm sure its already hidden.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Can I have the overflight schedule?  Need to know when to go outside, drop pants and bend over.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:12:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Can we shine green lasers into their cockpits?

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:14:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

google earth is open to anyone, if we really want to hide something I'm sure its already hidden.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would imagine sensors in the visual spectrum would be the least of everyone's concern.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:20:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Probably want to fly over California. Then they'll give the film to the LAPD so they can take his marijuana away again for the third time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:20:48 AM EDT
[#18]
All citizens should have infinite access to ordnance. Then the true American patriots could shoot down these sovereignty destroying flights.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:22:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google Earth does not allow for reading cigarette packs' labels or underground scanning.  

This is likely part of the "second term's more flexibility" and the airplanes and satellites will likely also have nukes and other stuff.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:27:05 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't think this is as bad as the article makes it sound.  A little quick wiki research on Open Skies shows:

• Observation aircraft may be provided by either the observing Party or (the "taxi option") by the observed Party, at the latter's choice.

• All sensors used in Open Skies must be commercially available to all signatories. Imagery resolution is limited to 30 centimetres.

• Imagery collected from Open Skies missions is available to any State Party upon request for the cost of reproduction.

I'm a lot less skeptical now than I was 5 minutes ago.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Google Earth does not allow for reading cigarette packs' labels or underground scanning.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither does the open skies treaty.  Limited to 30cm imagery, and no sensors for underground scanning.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:41:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because you want to fly over Russia doing the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Sure Vlad...come on over...

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:47:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Which means that Hussein is all for it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Why is this in the last paragraph of the article?

The treaty, for instance, obligates each member to make all of its territory available for aerial observation, yet Russia has imposed restrictions on surveillance over Moscow and Chechnya and near Abkhazia and South Ossetia, he said. Russian restrictions also make it hard to conduct observation in the Kaliningrad enclave, said Rademaker, who believes Russia is "selectively implementing" the treaty "in a way that suits its interests."
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Good   we will be able  to see the fema camps
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:06:32 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
Someone assumed we had, and would always have, a huge technological advantage?

Perhaps it's still true...
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#28]
As long as Russia is playing fuck fuck games with the treaty, we should disallow them full viewing of our country.

This seems pretty simple.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#29]

Why do you want to kill Americans?  
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:56:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Why is this in the last paragraph of the article?

The treaty, for instance, obligates each member to make all of its territory available for aerial observation, yet Russia has imposed restrictions on surveillance over Moscow and Chechnya and near Abkhazia and South Ossetia, he said. Russian restrictions also make it hard to conduct observation in the Kaliningrad enclave, said Rademaker, who believes Russia is "selectively implementing" the treaty "in a way that suits its interests."
View Quote

If that's true

Done deal...Fuck you and go home.

Obozo will welcome him in and pay him to do it...Vlad be the him.

I smell fish in the air...sum ting not white.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:56:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was wondering how many FBHOs would be posted before this blnugget was revealed.

Also this is related to something Eisenhower wanted to do, but the Soviets shot it down.

Not really sure what we have to hai from this, other than the possibility of a false sense of security.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#32]
IF we don't allow it with planes they will do it with satellites anyways.

non event
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Add this bull crap to the list of things that need to be undone the first week of Trump's presidency.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#34]
embrace the insanity
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:47:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Allow it on condition that the photos are available to hunting websites within 24 hours.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It's part of the Open Skies Treaty, that's right there in your quote. I guess Obama could withdraw from it, that would be a nice little surprise.
View Quote

the quote also mentions that Russia isn't fulfilling all the terms of that treaty.

I'd consider forcing them to comply before granting the fly-overs.  That should give us time to paint a nice rosy picture for them
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
As long as Russia is playing fuck fuck games with the treaty, we should disallow them full viewing of our country.

This seems pretty simple.
View Quote

This. It blows my mind that we would even agree to something like this in the first place.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote

Its a Slow news day as its in between primary's so they can't talk about Trump all day long.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Russia will ask permission on Monday to start flying surveillance planes equipped with high-powered digital cameras amid warnings from U.S. intelligence and military officials that such overflights help Moscow collect intelligence on the United States.

Russia and the United States are signatories to the Open Skies Treaty, which allows unarmed observation flights over the entire territory of all 34 member nations to foster transparency about military activity and help monitor arms control and other agreements. Senior intelligence and military officials, however, worry that Russia is taking advantage of technological advances to violate the spirit of the treaty.

The request will put the Obama administration in the position of having to decide whether to let Russia use the high-powered equipment on its surveillance planes at a time when Moscow, according to the latest State Department compliance report, is failing to meet all its obligations under the treaty.
View Quote

Not much of a position for Obama, of course he will allow it,  and no doubt why they want to now instead of after the election.

View Quote

Obama's position? On all fours with his ass in the air, ready to take on whomever wants to drill him.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quiet time
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:03:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure their not interested in the stuff on Google earth.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because it's under the Obama administration, and many people are still under the illusion that he is the first president to undermine this country. Though he is still probably the worst.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

We get far more out of it than the Russians, probably.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
All citizens should have infinite access to ordnance. Then the true American patriots could shoot down these sovereignty destroying flights.
View Quote

I think if I can intercept one with a quadcopter or a rented Cessna, I should be allowed to.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#47]
We should shoot it down and say hey just a little pay back for Gary Powers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Get your drone loads ready boys.
If I knew the time and place of the fly over a nice little sign in a large open field would great them.
F- - K you.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

So now that they can't simply buy this data from Hillary they have to go out and get it themselves?

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:28:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding.  We would actually follow treaty limits.  As for Russia, trust but verify.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top