Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2016 3:27:52 PM EDT
Bought the kit 7 years ago to use for a 7.62 carbine build.  Actually bought three kits.  The 7.62 Tok has never functioned properly and I built one kit into 5.45 (had to buy the barrel separately) only to sell it later.

Bought a barrel last year from AKBuilder.  Project was always on the back burner.  Finally installed the barrel but found I had the head space way off as it ripped the casing in half.

Reset the head space and it wouldn't extract.  Did a little underside trimming of the extractor and it works fine.

Thing puts out on hell of a fireball easily visible in the day time.

Could have purchased one for less trouble a few years ago.  But I like projects.  It's just something men my age (60) have done all our lives.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 3:29:37 PM EDT
[#1]
.223 "AK-74" ?!?

Link Posted: 2/21/2016 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I seriously considered building/buying an AK-74 in 5.56 but my local gunsmith told me horror stories about such guns never running correctly and that convinced me to stay on my original course of finding a Gallil to have an AK style gun in 5.56.

If you've got one up and running you have my congratulations and admiration.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want an AK in .223, which is common in the former Soviet Bloc as their MBR and you like to make stuff, do it.

Don't let nay-sayers stop you from having fun.

From my understanding, the AKBuilders barrel is as good as they get.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#4]
The Yugo M85 is what you seek
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#5]
No pics no care.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#6]
In before some fuckin idiot tells you to buy something when you already built what you want.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In before some fuckin idiot tells you to buy something when you already built what you want.
View Quote

Like a Sig 5.56?
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Cost was low.  Used a NODAK receiver which was $75.  Barrel was a little over $100.  Kit was only $150.  Counting bits and pieces, I have about $400 in it.  Mags will be at least $25 each, but I won't need more than a half dozen.

Is it as good as an AR?  Not in my opinion.  The AR as we all well know is the the Lego of killing machines.  Get a good receiver and a good parts kit and you would have to work very hard to make a bad AR.

Build an AK, other than sticking a parts kit on a receiver which is work in itself, and go wildcat by trying some mods?  Pain in my old ass.

Glad I did it.  I've built a dozen AKs over the years.  This one is my last.  It was real.  It was fun.  And at times it was real fun.

But after putting together better than a dozen ARs, why would anyone want to go any other direction?

I'll keep my AKs:  Bulgarian side-folding stock in 5.45; an ass ugly Egyptian parts kit build in 7.62x39, and now this bastardized Bulgarian in 5.56.  I guess I need to count my Romanian-built PSL54 in that it is AKroid spitting forth 7.62R.

But for fun, none of them can compare with my 9mm NFA carbine, my 300 Blackout pistol, a couple of nondescript M4geries, and my early full-length, no forward assist, no deflector, three-prong lovely with triangle HGs and the black stock w/o the storage compartment.

Building guns is fun.  As we know from Brother Old Painless, shooting guns is even more fun.  But there is a certain deep pleasure from owning many guns that shoot many things and many different ways.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 9:53:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No pics no care.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/21/2016 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No pics no care.

It can't be said enough
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:00:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No pics no care.

Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:03:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I kick myself for not buying a new SAR 3 years ago when I purchased my SAR1.  Mags were available and not too expensive back then also.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:05:48 PM EDT
[#13]
WHERE ARE THE PICTURES?!
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:06:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
WHERE ARE THE PICTURES?!
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Pictures are hard...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top