Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 2/17/2016 5:08:00 PM EDT
Almost every one of them is so interested in bus-lines, trains, etc. I know part of it is because of all the greenie bullshit, but it's clearly more than that.

Hear it all the time. We need to really invest in MARTA, blah blah blah. Fuck MARTA.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#1]
The love the smell of unwashed assholes and despair.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:09:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Almost every one of them is so interested in bus-lines, trains, etc. I know part of it is because of all the greenie bullshit, but it's clearly more than that.
View Quote

ONE LOVE...

ONE VEHICLE..

ONE PEOPLE..

and feelz
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#3]
They are interested in public everything. Public vs. Private. Control vs. no control. It's also a way to give kickbacks to fellow travelers.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#4]
too poor to buy things like cars, homes, soap, etc.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Collectivism.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#6]
It lessens the individual's liberties.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I think Marx was fond of public transport.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:13:35 PM EDT
[#8]
They like being mugged, you know contributing back to the under privileged and all.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#9]
control.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#10]
More government.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#11]
All part of the give me everything.

Give me education.

Give me healthcare.

Give me money.

Give me food.

Give me rent.

Give me a cheap place to rent.

Give me somewhere to go.

Give me a way to get there.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Because their theory overrides your choices.

Their choices, on the other hand....
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd kill for a decent mass transit system in DFW
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#14]
One more little piece of the control puzzle.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#15]
A lot of young professionals live downtown in large cities. In these places, cars are often a liability. Hard to park them. The only practical way to commute is by public transportation. No wonder they want more investment in public transportation. It's pure self-interest.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Collectivism.
View Quote

This.  Take transportation out of the hands of individuals and put it into the hands of the government.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#17]
They want to eventually do away with single family dwellings, and individual vehicles (at least that you can control)
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Hear it all the time. We need to really invest in MARTA, blah blah blah. Fuck MARTA.
View Quote

It absolves them of the personal responsibility of having to provide for their own transportation.

Transportation will be available to them without effort.

Instead, society at large is made to care for them in this regard, they enjoy that in all aspects of their lives.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I wouldn't mind having a lower cost option than flying, and a faster option than driving to get further across the country. Bullet trains would be sweet to get from Cincy to OKC in a matter of hours.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bingo.  It's the liberal Superfecta.

Attack individual liberties
Attack private (automotive) industry
Concentrate people into cities under "their" government, make suburbs nonviable
Control the behavior of people when they are forced to use it (carry weapons on the train? oh no no no)
Graft-laden boondoggle of a clusterfuck to build it, funding overseen by people too stupid to succeed in private sector
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:17:47 PM EDT
[#21]
FPNI!
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Public transport almost always means public unions and union construction jobs. Since democrats almost always control big city government this gives them patronage jobs to hand out, and a reliable vote farm.  If you don't like your public transport you have to go to the government to get it fixed, which provides more opportunities to extract rent.

Plus they just like collectivism, and hate individualism. People in cars making up their own minds about how to live, and the ability to punch out of a jurisdiction when they go full tard is bad.

PJ O'Rourke:

We became sick and tired of our cars and even angry at them. Pointy-headed busybodies of the environmentalist, new urbanist, utopian communitarian ilk blamed the victim. They claimed the car had forced us to live in widely scattered settlements in the great wasteland of big-box stores and the Olive Garden. If we would all just get on our Schwinns or hop a trolley, they said, America could become an archipelago of cozy gulags on the Portland, Ore., model with everyone nestled together in the most sustainably carbon-neutral, diverse and ecologically unimpactful way,

But cars didn’t shape our existence; cars let us escape with our lives. We’re way the heck out here in Valley Bottom Heights and Trout Antler Estates because we were at war with the cities. We fought rotten public schools, idiot municipal bureaucracies, corrupt political machines, rampant criminality and the pointy-headed busybodies. Cars gave us our dragoons and hussars, lent us speed and mobility, let us scout the terrain and probe the enemy’s lines. And thanks to our cars, when we lost the cities we weren’t forced to surrender, we were able to retreat.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:18:29 PM EDT
[#23]
They like Europe and since Europe goes everywhere by train or bus and cars are expensive as well as gas, let's be just like Europe.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#24]
It's a great way to get the charming inner city types out to "enrich" the suburbs.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#25]
If people are not buying cars or spending money on fuel that is money the Govt can take and put to better use...
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Because their theory overrides your choices.

Their choices, on the other hand....
View Quote
They hate sprawl

They hate wight flight

They hate your SUV that by the way destroys the planet. Ban it..

They hate your freedom
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#27]
It's the fastest way to get around Chicago sometimes.  With that being said if I'm not drinking I'm driving because I'm an adult.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

It allows poor people from the shitty part of town to get over to the nice part of town.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Agenda 21 is our future.  Public transportation for all.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#30]
liberals are adults in search of new and better parents.

parents drive their kids around.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  It makes you part of a herd instead of an individual.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#32]
They're obsessed with how things are in Europe without understanding, or caring, that the only reason why Europe has such good public transport is because it is almost prohibitively expensive to get a driver's license, and then a car and then insure it, mainly because taxes and fees are high to pay for the public transport.   The left absolutely refuses to conform to the uniquely American ideals of personal responsibility and individual freedom.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's a great way to get the charming inner city types out to "enrich" the suburbs.
View Quote

This.

Spread the suffering.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Feels Man.

Feelings trump Logic every single time.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:26:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Because the majority of liberal thought comes from large cities and they have no idea that mass/public transit is of no use to the other 95% of the country.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:26:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tell the class what MARTA stands for.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:28:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Personally, I'm all for it.

Turning an hour each-way commute into 2 1-hour naps is amazing!

And Houston does it right, they are one-way bus lines running into the city in the morning and out of the city in the afternoon. They only drop at large centralized parking lots away from neighborhoods. Keeps the trash from riding the buses.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:28:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
They want to eventually do away with single family dwellings, and individual vehicles (at least that you can control)
View Quote

Multi family dwellings really are safer against velociraptor attack.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#39]
It's all about control.  
They want us all to live in government approved housing in the cities where they can keep an eye on us.
They want us to use govt. approved transportation to go to govt. approved places at govt. approved times.
Other than that, stay home, stay quiet, and pay your taxes.

We'll tell you when you can go anywhere.

It's for the common good
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It absolves them of the personal responsibility of having to provide for their own transportation.

Instead, society at large is made to care for them in this regard, they enjoy that in all aspects of their lives.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the nanny state mentality. They tend to shy away from responsibility.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Easier for them to get from point A to point robery without having anyone get plate information .
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#42]
What better way to infest nice neighborhoods than to tax people to bus in the ghetto.?
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Let's scum expand their territory.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The decidedly politically incorrect writer Paul Kersey once referred to the MARTA as a government jobs program for people who were unemployable in the private sector

I just think of it as transportation welfare: The people who pay for the system don't use it, and the people who use it don't pay for it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Have any of you ever really lived (not just visited)in a large dense urban area? We do not have many of them in the U.S. like in other parts of the world but such areas are growing here.

An effective mass transit system is much more efficient and functional. A car is a tool for getting out of such a place, not getting around such a place.   It is also cheaper to build and maintain light rail/bus system than the road systems required by urban sprawl cities.  (government graft aside)

I  would rather live in a place where I can have my own car and the area supports that but in lots of places that is not the best option.  Having said that, I agree that packing people into dense urban areas does create condition where people are easier to control and there is no doubt that packing people in tight tends to make people want lots of rules and services, which is understandable but leads down a never ending shitty path towards bad things.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
too poor to buy things like cars, homes, soap, etc.
View Quote

Most of the hippies I know that support public transportation actually have very nice cars. Most were raised fairly wealthy and went to good colleges. Part of that white/privileged guilt thing I think.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#47]
They are too busy driving their Subaru Forester.
Public transportation is for everyone else.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't think there is much of an argument to be made against light rail well-implemented in a large, crowded city.

However, it isn't always the answer and it certainly isn't the ONLY answer.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#49]
I figure they like it because it's free and they hate the rich white devil for having a nice car

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#50]
If you dont have a job you cant afford a car
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top