Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/16/2016 11:01:55 AM EDT
41F may be finalized, but the forms necessary to implement it have not been. They will be published in the Federal Register on 2/17/2016 with a 60 day comment period.

Sixty days is all the time you have to get a comment in. Before you copy and paste something to send in, be aware that the agency is required to respond to all UNIQUE comments, arguments, challenges, or questions. In other words, 10,000 copies of the same letter requires them to answer it once. 10,000 unique questions or concerns requires the agency to answer all 10,000. I don't really care if you ask them how this will impact interstate commerce in aluminum and titanium, common components of suppressors, and if such an impact on commerce has been reviewed by other departments and any decrease in revenue having been figured into the federal budgeting process, just come up with something other than a form letter.

This is our chance to delay implementation of 41F, possibly until after the election.

Here are the pre-publication notices of the forms.

Application for Tax Exempt Transfer and Registration of Firearm

Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm

Application to Make and Register a Firearm

I would encourage all of you to request copies of each of the forms from Mr. Gary Schaible. His name may be quite familiar to some of you:

If you have additional comments especially on the estimated public burden or associated response time, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions or additional information, please contact Gary Schaible, Industry Liaison Analyst, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), 99 New York Ave, NE, Washington, DC 20226 at email :

[email protected]
View Quote

I will update this post with links to the draft forms once they are released to either reginfo.gov or regulations.gov.

UPDATE #1

From what I can tell, the new forms are still not available at ATF.gov, reginfo.gov, or regulations.gov. If one of you sees them online before I update again, please PM me with the links.

You can request copies of the forms by sending email to Gary Schaible ([email protected] or [email protected]).

In order for your comments to be considered, they must adhere to the rules. I'm going to quote one of the Federal Register notifications and then add a few extras:

Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your

comments should address one or more of the following four points:

1. Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;

2. Evaluate the accuracy of the agency’s estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;

3. Evaluate whether and if so how the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected can be enhanced; and

4. Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.

View Quote

Extras:

5. No profanity. They won't publish your comment if you use profanity, and if they don't publish it they aren't likely to bother responding to it. Profane comments serve no purpose other than wasting your time.

6. No form letters. It is better for you to write your own message, even if it is short, for each comment or concern. They have to READ these comments and RESPOND to unique ones - form letters do absolutely nothing but make BATFE's job easier.

7. Read #1 - #4, above, closely. Ask questions that fall into one or more of those categories. Ask easy ones. Ask hard ones. Ask questions that will require research to answer. If you think up a question while sitting on the toilet, bust out that iPhone or Android phone and pop off another email to [email protected]! Think of one while driving? Send another email when you get where you are going! Fire for effect, but make no mistake, the goal here is to overwhelm BATFE and DOJ's ability to respond.

Update #2

I found the forms.

Application to Make and Register a Firearm (Form 1)

Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm (Form 4)

Application for Tax Exempt Transfer and Registration of Firearm (Form 5)

Update #3 - Responsible Persons Form 5320.23

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/national-firearms-act-nfa-responsible-person-questionnaire-omb-number-1140%E2%80%93new/download

<Untacked - the rules for tacked threads specify that the person who is tacking the thread must also specify when the thread is to be untacked -Z>

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#1]
OST and subscribed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for gathering all this and explaining how they are only going to reply to the same question once.  

Would it be possible to compile a list of the Pros and Cons of 41F?
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 11:54:01 AM EDT
[#3]
In.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Wasn't it originally going to be 180 days?
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

You are correct, in a manner of speaking.

41F, which is to go into effect in July (180 days after publication in the Federal Register), requires changes to ATF Forms. Those changes require separate publication and review/comment periods. That is what this thread is about.

Essentially, 41F is impossible without those new forms, and those new forms are not yet approved and have not yet gone through their comment period.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:16:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

41F, which is to go into effect in July (180 days after publication in the Federal Register), requires changes to ATF Forms. Those changes require separate publication and review/comment periods. That is what this thread is about.

Essentially, 41F is impossible without those new forms, and those new forms are not yet approved and have not yet gone through their comment period.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. And I will add that from everything I've heard, the ATF is already working on a very tight timeline to get this in place in time. An overwhelming response here could put a hurt on them and their ambitions.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll comment again, although I never received a reply to my last comment which was one I wrote myself.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:18:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yep. And I will add that from everything I've heard, the ATF is already working on a very tight timeline to get this in place in time. An overwhelming response here could put a hurt on them and their ambitions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It took them well over a year to respond to our 41P comments.

We have 60 days to pile on enough UNIQUE questions, comments, concerns, and clarifications to keep them busy until the next president is sworn into office.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'll comment again, although I never received a reply to my last comment which was one I wrote myself.
View Quote

I believe in the "Comment a day keeps the 41F at bay" plan.

"How will this revised Form 1 take into consideration the needs of blind gun owners exercising their constitutionally enumerated right? Will a braille version be produced?"

"Will this new form be translated into Farsi, Arabic, and Pashtun to accommodate legal gun ownership of new citizens?"

"What Federal assistance is available to aid underprivileged gun owners in completing these forms?"

etc. etc. etc.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Tagged.  I'll put a comment together.

Something I did last time, I started with a form letter, then I altered it and added some of my own.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:32:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Something I did last time, I started with a form letter, then I altered it and added some of my own.  
View Quote

What we really need is a random comment generator. Sort of like the random comic generator (click here to waste time and laugh) only useful for our purposes.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What we really need is a random comment generator. Sort of like the random comic generator (click here to waste time and laugh) only useful for our purposes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

feed a Markov text tool the comments from last time
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#14]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fascinating idea. I've never written a Markov tool, but the potential here is essentially a weaponization of the comments process. A motivated public, with the right toolset (e.g. a generator that produced sufficient random work product as to be indistinguishable from manually written comments) could easily cripple a department's ability to respond.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Fascinating idea. I've never written a Markov tool, but the potential here is essentially a weaponization of the comments process. A motivated public, with the right toolset (e.g. a generator that produced sufficient random work product as to be indistinguishable from manually written comments) could easily cripple a department's ability to respond.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

they're easy to write and the training corpus is digital, so... all you need are people to copyedit before they sign the comment.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

they're easy to write and the training corpus is digital, so... all you need are people to copyedit before they sign the comment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or an app version "Click here to submit a comment".

To the best of my knowledge, there is no limit to the number of comments an individual can submit.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:21:01 PM EDT
[#17]
What is 41F?  I guess I hadn't heard of this one...
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:21:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the heads up. I'll write something unique
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

41P became 41F.

Whether this happened as a result of some form of obfuscation or as a result of a typo, I do not know.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
It's the final version of 41P.  This is the rule that makes Trust submissions include fingerprints.

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
41P became 41F.

Whether this happened as a result of some form of obfuscation or as a result of a typo, I do not know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

41P became 41F.

I thought it was because P was for Proposed and F was for Final.

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:28:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

41P became 41F.

That would be logical.

I assumed it was a typo. That would align more with what I expect out of BATFE.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#23]
So I assume the only way to respond is by emailing the email address listed at the top, like there is no website to leave the comments?
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:46:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

41P became 41F.

This is true
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So I assume the only way to respond is by emailing the email address listed at the top, like there is no website to leave the comments?
View Quote

The webpage will likely be up tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:54:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I've got this thread bookmarked. I'll do a few comments a day once it goes live.

FATF
FBHO
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Tag.

Thanks Undefined.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:57:00 PM EDT
[#29]
It makes it easier for individuals why should I care? I got mine.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

they_they_came_for_me_poem.pdf
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Trading one freedom for another is not how we win.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 2:25:49 PM EDT
[#33]
skin tagging
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 2:31:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm not convinced we should oppose 41f as written.  It makes it slightly more difficult for trusts, MUCH easier for individuals.  The longer 41f is delayed, the longer most citizens in Illinois will have to wait to get SBRs.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#35]
This makes me feel stupid, because I don't speak Federal Process, but essentially the workflow of "submitting a comment" is:

Once published to the federal register, comment period opens

1. Write your comment based on the documents linked in the OP
2. Submit those comments to [email protected]

?
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 2:41:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This makes me feel stupid, because I don't speak Federal Process, but essentially the workflow of "submitting a comment" is:

?
View Quote

Comments can also be submitted online. The pages for that won't be available until tomorrow.

I posted this a day early.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm not convinced we should oppose 41f as written.  It makes it slightly more difficult for trusts, MUCH easier for individuals.  The longer 41f is delayed, the longer most citizens in Illinois will have to wait to get SBRs.
View Quote

The longer it's delayed the longer E-Forms is useful for Form 1 makers.

I'm not saying one is more important than the other.  But I do have an idea which would put more NFA items in a greater number of peoples hands for a given period of time, if that were a goal.  I would personally submit 10 over the next year if I had a year.  I will likely only submit 5 before July.  But I do see your point.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Comments can also be submitted online. The pages for that won't be available until tomorrow.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

?

But, once they're published, emailing a comment to that address is a valid way of submitting a comment?
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 2:44:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

The goal should be to delay and rewrite it such that all it does is remove CLEO sign off.

It is easier to get a watered down rewrite if the full version never goes into effect.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

But, once they're published, emailing a comment to that address is a valid way of submitting a comment?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

?

Yes, that is correct. Once they are published you will be able to see the actual proposed forms as well (instead of just the notice that they wish to change them).
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats a good question for them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 2:49:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The goal should be to delay and rewrite it such that all it does is remove CLEO sign off.

It is easier to get a watered down rewrite if the full version never goes into effect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

Furthermore, I want them to be forced to clarify 41F's impact on eForms.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yes, that is correct. Once they are published you will be able to see the actual proposed forms as well (instead of just the notice that they wish to change them).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

?

Thanks.

I'll get my comments in order, unique for each form.  

If time allows, I will write more unique comments and post them here for others to submit.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
41F may be finalized, but the forms necessary to implement it have not been. They will be published in the Federal Register on 2/17/2016 with a 60 day comment period.

Sixty days is all the time you have to get a comment in. Before you copy and paste something to send in, be aware that the agency is required to respond to all UNIQUE comments, arguments, challenges, or questions. In other words, 10,000 copies of the same letter requires them to answer it once. 10,000 unique questions or concerns requires the agency to answer all 10,000. I don't really care if you ask them how this will impact interstate commerce in aluminum and titanium, common components of suppressors, and if such an impact on commerce has been reviewed by other departments and any decrease in revenue having been figured into the federal budgeting process, just come up with something other than a form letter.

This is our chance to delay implementation of 41F, possibly until after the election.

Here are the pre-publication notices of the forms.

Application for Tax Exempt Transfer and Registration of Firearm

Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm

Application to Make and Register a Firearm

I would encourage all of you to request copies of each of the forms from Mr. Gary Schaible. His name may be quite familiar to some of you:

If you have additional comments especially on the estimated public burden or associated response time, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions or additional information, please contact Gary Schaible, Industry Liaison Analyst, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), 99 New York Ave, NE, Washington, DC 20226 at email :
[email protected]
View Quote

I will update this post with links to the draft forms once they are released to either reginfo.gov or regulations.gov.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads-up, emailing him now to request forms and will be submitting comments.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Serious question. Not trolling.
Why exactly are we trying to delay 41F?
The inability to file form 1's electronically.
Trusts have to send prints and photos.
Other than that what are the negatives?
I think 41F is a good thing. It enables people in states that have CLEO that won't sign be able to obtain NFA items.
I have a trust I use for my NFA purchases and I will just amend it so that I am sole trustee with my beneficiary being my child.
Only I will have to send photo and prints. Same as an individual.
So why delay?

Tagging for answer.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#46]
tagged , in , all that good stuff
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Why you guys tryin' to delay my freedoms and stuff?
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I'm not convinced we should oppose 41f as written.  It makes it slightly more difficult for trusts, MUCH easier for individuals.  The longer 41f is delayed, the longer most citizens in Illinois will have to wait to get SBRs.

You are gambling that we would get a President who would pay any attention to this stuff once elected.  We already have a work-around for multiple trustees - multiple trusts, and add the extra trustees after the stamp for the new item comes back.  Getting rid of the CLEO signoff is huge, and will get many more folks into the NFA game who wouldn't otherwise.  I agree that photos & fingerprints is a pain in the ass, but given that we can do both @ home, and only for a couple of trustees, I don't see this is a battle worth fighting, particularly in an election year w/ the Supreme Court in the balance.  Our energies are best devoted on the wider front than this specific skirmish that we've largely already won.  And the longer we delay the implementation the more we penalize the folks in Illinois.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Serious question. Not trolling.

Why exactly are we trying to delay 41F?

The inability to file form 1's electronically.

Trusts have to send prints and photos.

Other than that what are the negatives?

I think 41F is a good thing. It enables people in states that have CLEO that won't sign be able to obtain NFA items.

I
have a trust I use for my NFA purchases and I will just amend it so
that I am sole trustee with my beneficiary being my child.

Only I will have to send photo and prints. Same as an individual.

So why delay?

Tagging for answer.
View Quote
This is not the thread you're looking for.  We have other threads, un-archived, with this very topic discussed to death.

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
You are gambling that we would get a President who would pay any attention to this stuff once elected.  We already have a work-around for multiple trustees - multiple trusts, and add the extra trustees after the stamp for the new item comes back.  Getting rid of the CLEO signoff is huge, and will get many more folks into the NFA game who wouldn't otherwise.  I agree that photos & fingerprints is a pain in the ass, but given that we can do both @ home, and only for a couple of trustees, I don't see this is a battle worth fighting, particularly in an election year w/ the Supreme Court in the balance.  Our energies are best devoted on the wider front than this specific skirmish that we've largely already won.  And the longer we delay the implementation the more we penalize the folks in Illinois.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:  I'm not convinced we should oppose 41f as written.  It makes it slightly more difficult for trusts, MUCH easier for individuals.  The longer 41f is delayed, the longer most citizens in Illinois will have to wait to get SBRs.

You're welcome to not participate.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top