Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2001 9:02:43 PM EDT
I have a american security fire safe with a key pad. After I got It home I wondered how I would open the safe if the key pad melted off? Daaa
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Cannon with dial combo. 500lbs, Fire proof(yeah right)
was an internet special for $700. Had to pick it up
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 9:26:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Sportsman Steel.
No complaints except that it's too small.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one Browning safe but could use about 2 more.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Browning Gold fireproof [pyro]
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 9:54:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Got a question for you guys with safes. Are you concerned about weight, and anyone put their's in the basement? And how did you get it down?
I live in an old house and I'm afraid of the weight. Also, my basement has flooded before. How bad would water hurt a safe, and would the guns inside be damaged.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 9:56:48 PM EDT
[#6]
My family does not have a safe we have a secret room. Not fire proof, but what it lacks in fire proofing it makes up for in coolness.

Kyle
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 1:31:38 AM EDT
[#7]
i've got a KNAAK storage box ordered (the kind you see in contractors trucks) 24 X 24 X 60--i worry about my guns when i leave them out in garage waiting to be cleaned.  hopefully it will be enough to keep the hit and run door kickers from carrying my goodies off.   Its got recessed pad locks-piano hinge ect.....What do you think of these?????   Dick
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 3:01:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Browning Pro-steel.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 3:30:03 AM EDT
[#9]
National Security Magnum Plus

[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1100113&a=8841731&p=28762301&Sequence=0[/img]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 4:20:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got a Bear not fire proof, but big heavy and relatively inexpensive.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 4:26:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Got a question for you guys with safes. Are you concerned about weight, and anyone put their's in the basement? And how did you get it down?
I live in an old house and I'm afraid of the weight.
View Quote

My brother had the same situation. What we did was, got a bunch of 2x4's, went under the steps and cut the wood to length for each step, so that every step had a post in the center of it.
Then we took some old blankets and lined the steps (to give a surface to slide on, also provided protection to the safe finish). Put the safe on it's side and attached towing straps. (Luckily, we had a Straight shot from basement door to an extior door) Attached tow straps to safe and the pick-up truck. Pushed the safe over the first step with the driver keeping Strap taught and when safe was on same angle as steps, driver just let it lower until it got to the bottom. Viola, safe in basemant.  

Quoted:
Also, my basement has flooded before. How bad would water hurt a safe, and would the guns inside be damaged.
View Quote

Didn't have this problem. You could get contractor grade plastic sheeting and put it under the safe so that you could form a big baggie if needed. Or, what i would do is get some Clear silicon sealent (4 or 5 tubes) and if water start getting in the basement, just glob the sealant on.

I have a Fort Knox, with Key pad entry.

Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:58:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I have an AmSec (American Security)
880lbs.

Lucky enough to have easy access to the basement through the garage. Basement is finished (insulated and air conditioned/heated). Only took three of us to get it into position.

When I was buying my safe the dealer was telling me of the first safe he delivered into someones basement. It was well over 1200lbs. They had 5 guys and had to completely support the stairs. When they got it down the steps they removed the cardboard wrapping they had left on to keep from damaging the paint and sure enough they had the wrong safe. Dealer ended up eating the difference. Keypad lock, pre-installed light and 5-spoke handle.

Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:33:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:43:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I have an old bank Vault in an old bank building with a security system outside and inside the vault...works great.

Of course it helps to have relatives that sell property and you can purchase these places dirt cheap.

[rocket]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Heritage - 950lbs; no complaints; except for my wife. It almost killed her getting it in the house; I wished I could have helped but I told her I was afraid I might injure my trigger finger.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Have a Browning Gold as well.  Crookshanks, I have an older home too and was also afraid of the weight.  Rightly so!  After getting it into the house I had to go under the house and push the floor back up with jack stands.  That kinda sucked.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Cannon T40, 975 lbs. I just bought it last Saturday, and it gets delivered tomorrow. The warranty on the Cannon's is one reason I bought it.

"Cannon's lifetime Warranty is included in the price of every safe. It covers repairs to damages caused by attempted break-ins, fire incidents and actual break-ins. This warranty coverage is in-home. This means that, if your safe can be repaired in your home. it will be - at no cost to you, the customer.

In the event of substantial damage beyond repair in your home, Cannon will cover the opening of your safe. This will allow you to empty the contents before sending the safe back to the factory for a replacement or repair. (Most safe damage can be repaired in your home.)"

So if the electronic lock melts off, they come out and fix/open it for free. Then I truck it over to the factory (about an hour away) and have it repaired for free.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Liberty Safe (Washington modle) 45 cubic feet and about 1200 lbs. It took 2 profesional safe movers 3 hrs to move it from the front stoop to the basement. They had to extend the top stair so they could lean the safe back far enough to get it down the stairs. They also had to build up the stairs to take the weight and remove the railing. They had A electric dolly that would "shoot" the safe down the stairs several rungs at A time. All in all The best 100 bucks I ever spent. They told me not to call them to try to get the safe out and to sell it with the house if and when we sell. By the way I am REALY glad that I bought this safe. I feel much better knowing that my guns are kept in a safe and secure spot and I thank my wife for nagging me to buy a quality safe.
My house has never flooded but I did build A 8 inch high  pedistal that the safe was mounted on and I got A battery powered back up sump pump and A generator just in case I loose power during A storm.
Pokey
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#19]
National Security Classic Plus.  Black Cherry with Black Chrome.  Sweet.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Liberty Safe for me too. About 750 lbs or so. Burgandy with gold locks and letters. It was supposed to be a 24 gun model. And it will hold 24, but only it they don't have buttstocks :) Things are a little cramped with less than that. Whatever you think you need, double it, and save dings on your stocks.
It is a good feeling to have a secure safe. It also has a warranty that covers repairs if someone attempts to break in it.
I loaded it in the back of a Ford Explorer laying flat. When I unloaded it at home, I backed up to the front door steps, and layed a old formica covered counter top from the rear bumper of the truck to the floor of the front porch. The safe was still inside the cardboard box. My teenage daughter and a STRONG boy friend of hers helped me slide it up the plywood counter top. The plywood protruded onto the porch by a few feet. I place a 4X4 piece of wood so that when the safe slid off the end of the plywood it would "cam over". After moving the truck, we were able to set the safe upright using the leverage of the plywood. Once upright, and with a hand truck, I could tilt the safe enough to allow me to enter the front door. After it was inside on the carpet, I could push it to it destination. (Just behind the front door in the front hall.) It was not that tough, just took a little more head scratching than muscle.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 3:46:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Frontier Wrangler

765#

Damn door seemed like it weight about 450lbs though.  If I ever move again, I think I'll sell the safe with the house and buy a new one.  Probably will just buy a really BIG safe and build the house around it.........
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Fort Knox

Tyler
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Is there any place that includes delivery of one of the larger safes??  I have a family member who is wanting one for a large collection.

Who has really good prices??
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Homack 8 gun yes i know but its better than nothing.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I've got 2 Amsec's  12-gun model upstairs, larger model downstairs (can be made to hold 30-guns) Got the big one downstairs using a come-along, I put some 1x12's I borrowed from a friend,(he had a pile of 'em) using drywall screws screwed them to the steps and had a peace of 2-1/2 pipe cut longer than the door frame and had a eye welded on it, (done this at work, I'm a pipefitter) is a sraight shot downstairs from garage, loaded safe up,  hooked come-along up to pipe across door frame, and doen she went a click at a time.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#26]
cannon (big one)
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I've got an American Security 8 or 17 gun convertible firelined.  I took all the shelves and gun rack out and can barely fit 13 long guns. 2AR's with scopes and 1 without must take up more room the maker intended.  Put safe in closet by self with a handtruck.  Wanted a larger safe but this one barely made it through some doorways in new house, model larger safe would have needed door trim removed and wouldn't have fitted in closet.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:05:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Browning Sterling and Homak
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:14:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Homack 8 gun yes i know but its better than nothing.
View Quote

Ditto
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Fort Knox, $1500 seven years ago, Black with gold trim.  Looks good in the house.  Just a tad pricey but it is fire-proof and after getting robbed one time the money doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a Browning Pro-Steel that was given to me by my parents as a wedding gift 10 years ago. Only problem is that I have since outgrown it and am now considering either purchasing a second vault or removing the lower shelves in this one to accomodate more long guns and storing my ammunition in a seperate lockable cabinet.

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/029/9S/qS/Ri/3b90688.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Liberty Safe also....The "Texas Safe" varity, a great safe, fire proof, lifetime warranty, 16 gun capable, great looking all that good stuff, BUT.........how I wish I'd got at least the next size bigger...
 Hired the safe company to delivery for $125.00 when I bought it...moved about a year later and had a couple of friends do the job for $20.00....now I need to buy $105.00 worth of paint...next move its the pros..no doudt..Russell[B)]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 8:09:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 8:34:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Cannon baby!
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 9:04:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Homack for now. Got a sweet deal on a Browning Fireproof.  Buddy is moving, wanted a new Safe, so I got his old one for 1/3 the price of a new model.  Damn thing is maroon tho, might have to get a few cans of John Deere Green!

[>]:)]

Hey, wheres my smilie.  What'd I do wrong now??
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 9:10:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Liberty Lincoln 35 with electronic combination and light kit. Really like it.[beer]
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Bought a National Security Magnum Plus back in 90' exactly like the one 7 has, best safe out of all the major brands I looked at IMHO. Just worries me when I think about moving it, what a pain, rather sell it with the house and build a walk in Vault in the cellar of new home.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 10:28:14 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a 1932 Mosler, double combination. just guessing it weighs about 4,000 lbs. looks like one of those old safes in the western movies. i got it out of a local post office that was remodling. gave 1500 for it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top