Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2003 8:51:23 PM EDT
It is time to teach my eight and six-year-old the basics of shooting. I’d like to start them on an air gun. Which model can you recommend? And where is the best place to get it? Thanks in advance,
FRIZ
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#1]
FRIZ:

E-mail me!

AFARR
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#2]
any city dwellers use an air gun to get in practice without having to seek out a range?

been thinking about this

i've 25 feet down in the basement, couldn't hurt
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Red_Beard:

Get a box, fill it with plumbers putty  at least 6" deep, put it on a piece of Plywood to ensure any fast moving pellets don't make it through, and go to town.  The size of the box depends on how accurate you are--at about 10 meters (just over your 25'), the standard air-gun distance, accurate rifles can keep them all in less than a 1/4" (if you can).  If you want to try quick shots that might go awry, then try a bigger box.

AFARR
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I've heard some good things about Winchester air-rifles
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#5]
On my rifle team we practice with airguns.. though we use top of the line Beeman guns.  They are SUPER accurate.  What do you expect for a $1000+ price tag.  They are really nice to use since they are pre-charged, and easy to load.  

I would reccomend one of those new Airforce Talon rifles.  They are really sweet, and silenced to.  And only cost around $400.

If you want a cheaper gun you could try a benjamin sheridan rifle or rws.  They are decent to.  From my experience with airguns you get what you pay for.

Link Posted: 4/28/2003 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
any city dwellers use an air gun to get in practice without having to seek out a range?

been thinking about this

i've 25 feet down in the basement, couldn't hurt
View Quote

I never used a rifle on the move. Standing still at the range or seated, even on a private range it was always static. About 2 years ago or so I was going to shoot a 3 gun match and I needed to practice. I started stopping at pawn shops and looking at air rifles. I ended up with two rifle,benjamin sheridan and a beeman great deals on both 1/3 the cost of new and now use them to pratice snap shots and moving inside and shooting on the move. All this in my garage. I place 2nd in a recent run and gun rifle stage at a IPSC match so I guess it has helped alot.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a BSA SuperSport and it's a great rifle. .22 lead pellets fly at 700-800 fps!
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep.  I use a Beeman GT600 I got at Dicks for $100.  It will put 3 pellets in a sub-1 inch group at 30', which is fine for my purposes:  Practicing trigger pull while I'm watching TV.  Anybody have a decent air pistol?  Years ago I had a Daisy 15-shot CO2 repeater that I remember was fairly accurate (by that I mean I could hit a tin can at 30-feet with a good number out of a clip).  I need to work on the pistol accuracy now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Gamo.  They have a youth model.  600 FPS is fine, too much power makes cocking difficult.

Putty makes a silent backstop with little lead problems.  Yes, lead is a problem with air rifles, especially the high-powered ones.

Link Posted: 4/28/2003 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Get him a pre-ban version with a Nerf bayo. lug!
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#11]
[url=http://www.geocities.com/bbmachinegun/review10.htm]This[/url] [;)]

Seriously, I first got a Crossman something or other when I was like 7, its a great gun that is pretty cheap, it still runs like its brand new too. Beeman makes some good stuff too.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 2:02:50 PM EDT
[#12]
My Suggestion was the HW 30 from Beeman.  Light, fairly powerful, 0.16" c-t-c rated.  

Have a Beeman/FWB 300S with the Beeman SS2 scope, and a BSA SuperSport in .177.  Both excellent guns.  I have also in the past had a Beeman R8 (one of those things you regret selling afterwards) and a Beeman P1 (jury's still out on that one).  All of the rifles are very accurate (the P1 was also), the FWB 300s has the edge by a good margin.  You could practice with any of them easily indoors (get the putty thing instead of the metal pellet traps--it is much quieter, and you don't have to find lead fragments that splash back.  

AFARR
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 2:05:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Any airguns with sights similar in shape to AR sights?
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Fritz,

If you are having them shoot outdoors, I would suggest a plain old Daisy "Red Ryder" type BB gun for them.  My 11 year old still has a bit of trouble with my little Daisy barrel break pellet rifle, but the little ones should be able to do just fine  with a Red Ryder.  If they will be shooting indoors, get a pellet rifle to reduce the chance of riccochet from the hard BB's.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#16]
My first Air gun was a Crossman 760... a few years later my Dad let me step it up to a Daisy 880, that baby was SWEET!!!

That was 20+ years ago so I don't even know if they make those models anylonger.... but boy do I remember those, what fun they were!!

Link Posted: 4/28/2003 3:07:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Get a benjamin Sheridan Silver Streak 20 cal.
As much or as little power as you want. (pump)

With this particular air rifle I have taken 50 yard kills no sweat. 20 cal drops every small critter I have shot at. Its quiet, accurate, and the trigger... sucks. Even though the trigger sucks I have been able to maintain great success with this rifle on small game.

Good rifle.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My first Air gun was a Crossman 760... a few years later my Dad let me step it up to a Daisy 880, that baby was SWEET!!!

That was 20+ years ago so I don't even know if they make those models anylonger.... but boy do I remember those, what fun they were!!

View Quote
My best friend had a Crossman 760.  I [i]hated[/i] to pump that sucker up, so I got the Daisy 880.  And you're right!  It [b]was[/b] SWEET!  It finally died when I got an oversized BB - it went in the chamber OK, but it split the barrel and jammed.  [:(]
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I've got a Benjamin .177 that I got for Christmas when I was 8 years old, (I'm 41 now). It still hits like a sledge-hammer, but it's a bitch to pump-up (8-10 strokes).

(Bad Ju-Ju for dealing with stray cats)
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 3:27:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I would recommend it be of the CO2 variety. I have an RWS 48 and there is no way someone under 11 or 12 is going to cock it. the same goes for the barrel cocking ones.

Another idea is a .22 LR and use the Aguila Colibri rounds. The Colibris have no powder and shoot a 20 grain .22 bullet at 375 fps for the standard and 500 FPS for the Super Colibri. A pellet trap will stop them. Fun practice in the garage or backyard and they are quieter than the RWS.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#21]
How much do you want to spend?

Where will it be used- outdoor, indoor, both?

Is this something for your children only, or do you want to use it also?

If price is not a big issue, I would vote for the Beeman R7. Very quiet, easy to cock, and has superb accuracy. If you want something that will work and is inexpensive- Daisy Red Ryder. I say avoid pump-up guns, you should be shooting, not exercising.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Get an airsoft gun.
Exact replicas of real guns, don't penetrate skin, and fun to shoot stuff around the house.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Gentlemen:
Thank you for your advice.
Regards,
FRIZ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top