Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/7/2016 1:00:23 AM EDT
I'm thinking about ordering a stoeger coach gun from buds.
I'm seeing a little bit of info saying these can have problems.
does anyone know if the double trigger guns are more reliable than the single trigger ones or vice versa?

who has one?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:05:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Funny story, A buddy of mine had one of these side by side double barrels in 12ga and we had this life size plastic Santa Claus (no idea where he got that) anyway I put 2 slugs in and tried my best to pull both triggers at the exact same time. What ended up happening was a slight delay in the shots and some massive recoil. One shot was perfect center in the chest and the second due to the muzzle rise was right  in the forehead.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:06:29 AM EDT
[#2]
My brother and I both want to get a coach gun. Neither one of us is entirely sure why.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:07:35 AM EDT
[#3]
... keep one bedside, they're cheap - but effective
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:13:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
... keep one bedside, they're cheap - but effective
View Quote

The sad part is they're really not that cheap when you consider a Maverick pump action can be had for under $200.

@OP, coach guns are awesome. Get one.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:17:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Damnit, now you've got me watching Hickok45 videos on coach guns, which usually results in one thing...  

Tag for learning about coach guns.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:20:14 AM EDT
[#6]
buying a boomstick huh?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:20:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Sold a metric shit ton of these after I sold just one to a cowboy action shooter and he brought it to the local match. Get the one with the screw in chokes, hell of a gun.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:20:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Me and jack Daniels are going to discuss coach guns over the next few hours. By morning I bet one of us orders one.

Edit - the black hardwood/nickel finish looks fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:22:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Get both........barrels.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:23:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:24:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, the more I look into it it sounds like the double trigger design is inherently more reliable than single trigger guns.
the issue I keep seeing is that the right side of single trigger guns will light strike 50% of the time but the left is 100% reliable. They also have issues binding when opened.
I have seen no indication of this being an issue with the double trigger variants.

I was trying to decide between the century coach gun and the stoeger. (my marlin 336 and uberti cattleman need a buddy)
the stoeger just seems to be the more practical of the two in real world applications.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:28:45 AM EDT
[#12]
The only time mine bound up on me was when I would pull both triggers at once. They're not meant to do that though. I took the stock off of mine and disabled the auto saftey with a file. I sold it on the EE. Wish I hadn't.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:31:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Me and jack Daniels are going to discuss coach guns over the next few hours. By morning I bet one of us orders one.

Edit - the black hardwood/nickel finish looks fucking awesome.
View Quote

Jack's a sneaky sumbitch,you got to keep an eye on him,or both or all three of him.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:39:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well, the more I look into it it sounds like the double trigger design is inherently more reliable than single trigger guns.
the issue I keep seeing is that the right side of single trigger guns will light strike 50% of the time but the left is 100% reliable. They also have issues binding when opened.
I have seen no indication of this being an issue with the double trigger variants.

I was trying to decide between the century coach gun and the stoeger. (my marlin 336 and uberti cattleman need a buddy)
the stoeger just seems to be the more practical of the two in real world applications.
View Quote

I have a Cattleman too. Dammit OP, you aren't making this easy for me.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:44:03 AM EDT
[#15]
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/coach-gun-supreme-shotgun

Model-31481 is what you seek gentleman
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:47:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

the only supreme model buds has is the single trigger version
and I don't want a unreliable POS, so I need the double trigger one
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:49:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.shydasoutdoorcenter.com/stoeger-coach-gun-supreme-12-ga-20-bbl-double-trigger.html
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:50:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've not had a problem with a single trigger model. But you wants what you wants I understand, I'll take a single trigger and changeable chokes over a double trigger
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:52:18 AM EDT
[#19]
IDK Stoeger...

My pusher man sold me a Norinco Coach gun NIB before Y2K. IIRC $150?
Always shot good, kicked like a mule. Its lived in the Master bathroom for 15+ years. Just in case.....00 Buck.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:58:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I have wanted one with exposed hammers for years.

But I barely use shotguns enough to keep my Nova around.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:01:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Have one for many years . GTG
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:03:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Have one for many years . GTG
View Quote

Yep same here also this guy approves
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:07:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bought the 20ga century from sg. Wood is good,action is stiff but started loosening a bit more rounds I shot,nice large buttpad and real reasonable cost wise.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:07:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Gotta love that twice barreled smooth bore!
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:09:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Gotta love that twice barreled smooth bore!
View Quote

Why not three barrels?

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:12:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I bought the 20ga century from sg. Wood is good,action is stiff but started loosening a bit more rounds I shot,nice large buttpad and real reasonable cost wise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the big downside of the CIA guns are that you have to cock each hammer manually.
if you want a gun thatcan be used for HD that kinda kills it. it's already slow to load. that makes it twice as slow.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:13:20 AM EDT
[#27]

No problems to report with mine.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:14:38 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't use one.  But ask a SASS shooter who uses one.  Alot of them get used it that sport and they see tons of use.

SASS Forums:  www.sassnet.com/forums/

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:27:04 AM EDT
[#29]
I have one of the JSW2000's..

I don't think your supposed to shoot slugs in it.....

It will fire 3 inch magnums though.....

I keep it behind my truck seat with one 3 inch #4 buck, and one 3inch #1 buck.

I put over 60 pellets down range with one pull of the triggers.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:34:09 AM EDT
[#30]
I guess I should add that I think of it as a single shot, fire and forget weapon against a single threat..  Then I would transition to the Glock.

Against multiple bad guys, I suppose I could be conservative and fire one shot at a time.

I do keep a couple of boxes of shells in case I did get the chance to reload.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:40:25 AM EDT
[#31]
I wouldn't trust my life to a cheap double gun
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:49:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Nothing says "GIT OFF'N MY PORCH" like a double barrel 12 gauge...
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:53:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.shydasoutdoorcenter.com/stoeger-coach-gun-supreme-12-ga-20-bbl-double-trigger.html

Shit, you may have just ruined my life.....

speed
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:18:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

the big downside of the CIA guns are that you have to cock each hammer manually.
if you want a gun thatcan be used for HD that kinda kills it. it's already slow to load. that makes it twice as slow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want one for HD why the hell are you using a side by side at all?BD]

It is 2016, your using a design that predates metallic cartridges.  If you insist on a shotgun at least get a decent modern (kinda) design like an 870 or Mossberg 500, or better yet a Benelli M1 or M4.  Your running around with something Doc Holliday would recognize.  Even better, just get an AR.

What advantage does an unnecessarily heavy and unwieldy (because of the extra barrel, which was needed back in the days of non repeating firearms, but is a hilarious anachronism now) weapon with only 2 shots before a slow and awkward reload have over something lighter, more manuverable, and with far more rounds?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:21:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If you want one for HD why the hell are you using a side by side? At all?BD]

It is 2016, your using a design that predates metallic cartridges.  If you insist on a shotgun at least get a decent modern (kinda) design like an 870 or Mossberg 500, or better yet a Benelli M1 or M4.  Your running around with something Doc Holliday would recognize.  Even better, just get an AR.

What advantage does an unnecessarily heavy and unwieldy (because of the extra barrel, which was needed back in the days of non repeating firearms, but is a hilarious anachronism now) weapon with only 2 shots before a slow and awkward reload have over something lighter, more manuverable, and with far more rounds?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want one for HD why the hell are you using a side by side? At all?BD]

I don't. I just would rather have the more practical of the 2 if given the choice.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:40:52 AM EDT
[#36]
No problems with the double trigger version. Love the 20ga version its short and light perfect for hunting in thick brush. It's so short I've been asked if it's even legal I had to get out the tape measure to convince them the game wardens all seemed to know already though.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:48:10 AM EDT
[#37]
I got a 12 GA Russian made Tula coach gun with the old fashioned external hammers...badass
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:55:46 AM EDT
[#38]
I have one and love it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:01:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Funny. I was going to ask a question about their Condors as I just won one in a raffle I 110% forgot about.

That now makes a Benelli SBEII, Stoeger 2000, and now a Stoeger Condor -- is that a sign?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:15:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Funny. I was going to ask a question about their Condors as I just won one in a raffle I 110% forgot about.

That now makes a Benelli SBEII, Stoeger 2000, and now a Stoeger Condor -- is that a sign?
View Quote

yeah, after this I think I might have to get a short barreled O/U
maverick has one I was looking at, but it comes with hideous rails and a front sight post
the stoeger might have to me my pick then too
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:38:40 AM EDT
[#41]
I personally want a CZ hammer coach. I have a thing for color cased hardened guns.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:10:32 AM EDT
[#42]
I own two. One in 20 and the other in .410. We mostly use them for some short range plinking at a 4th of July picnic every year. We set up a reactive gallery and walk people through a series of water jugs, clay birds, empty bottles and bad fruit. The guns have held up wonderfully over the years (both are about 15 yo now). Both are the two trigger design. They both did require a little bit of a break- in. When new, the actions would often bind on a fired shell. I had an SASS gunsmith give the 20 a tweeking and it was fine after that. The .410 corrected itself after a couple hundred shells. Both run perfect now. If the action does bind, do not try and force it open. Instead, firmly rap on the bottom of the receiver just behind the forend a couple times. I believe most of the time, it is the firing pins sticking.

These are short range guns and the barrels may or may not be regulated to any predictable range so you have to experiment with different POA.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#43]
I have a Norinco with hammers.

Nobody needs a coach gun.

Everybody should have one though!

One of these

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:16:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That reminds me of the scene in "Zombieland" where they are trying to do a 21 gun salute to Bill Murray. The one guy has a double barrel and has to keep reloading. It pisses off his partners. LOL
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#45]
One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was selling a Rossi coach gun that I had.   Thing of beauty it was.    I have been looking for another one ever since.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Elderly shooters, anyone with weak hands, because of arthritis or MS, people who have difficulty racking slides or loading cartridges into magazines. For them, revolvers and break downs offer reasonable alternatives. An 80 year old with a snake charmer is still more dangerous than an 80 year old with a frying pan. There will come a time when most ARFcommers are too frail to operate most of their semi autos. Plan accordingly.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:35:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Single trigger stoeger's DO MISFIRE historically more then double triggers. Stoeger customer service deals with this all the time! Numerous Numerous threads on this subject go to the Shotgun World Forum.

I love doubles. All mine have two triggers!
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:40:07 AM EDT
[#48]
My buddy owned two of them and I had one. All were the double trigger models and were reliable. The coach gun was my buddies primary shotgun and he used it for sporting clays and hunting so the gun saw a ton of use. They kick like a mule with anything heavier than a target load, are really loud, and the fixed choke models are pretty useless as a bird gun past 20yds. It is possible to fire both barrels at the exact same time but it's difficult and you usually end up firing one right after the other.

Only real problem we had with them was the forearms would break. All three of the guns had the forearms split in two and mine was hardly ever shot.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:52:22 AM EDT
[#49]
I have one and it works well.

However I did see one used at a 3 gun match, not cowboy action, and the stock broke off. However that was very heavy use.

Why use a side by side in 3gun? Dunno but guy ran the course with a 1903 and GI 1911.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#50]
love my dog eared coach gun.

go shoot targets in the desert (coffee cans, soda cans) and before we leave everyone shoots the already shot up targets with the shotgun. More people walk away raving about the fun they had shooting the double barrel than all the other guns.

cases of rifle and pistol ammo get over looked for 20 bucks worth of shotgun ammo

the cz version is really nice but a 350 - 500 dollar version will be just as fun.

simple home defense especially for a senior (20 gauge)

"did you bring the greeners"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top