Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 4/26/2003 5:37:49 AM EDT
Okay fellas, gear up, here we go...

Almost every thread that has anything to do with the Army will invariably be trashed by some jarhead, so let's just get it all out.

I'm going to wait a little while to throw in my .02, I want to see what you guys got for me.

Link Posted: 4/26/2003 6:39:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Okay fellas, gear up, here we go...

Almost every thread that has anything to do with the Army will invariably be trashed by some jarhead, so let's just get it all out.

I'm going to wait a little while to throw in my .02, I want to see what you guys got for me.

View Quote

Interservice rivalry aside.  The US Army and USMC have different missions and different purposes.  Sort of apples to oranges.  Realistically they can't be compared.
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 6:40:04 AM EDT
[#2]
[:D]Like this one will be the "Mother of All Interservice Rivalry Threads".  Dream on.  Trashing folks in the Army is like matching wits or beating up on the kids who ride the short bus.  There's just no sport in it.

Besides, I've got a whole day's worth of Birthday Sex to enjoy!
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 6:57:10 AM EDT
[#3]
...all in fun maybe....when the shtf...we know they work together.....
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 7:03:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 7:23:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Let me be the first to post it...

IBTL

[X]
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Marines against kids on the small bus...sounds just about fair!

Happy Birthday, Preach.
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 7:25:39 AM EDT
[#7]
right behind you Sarge.

IBTL!! [bounce]
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 7:28:51 AM EDT
[#8]
When I still wore green, Unless we were in the local bar seeing who could do more shots, we were all brothers.  When it got down to it, and it hit the fan I didn't care who was coming to back me....just as long as he was there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#9]
The Army and the Marines have different jobs.

In the Rummie years, though, the army is trying to be just like the Corps.

His stupid decisions will kill a lot of our boys 20 years down the pike.
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 8:00:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Almost every thread that has anything to do with the Army will invariably be trashed by some [red]jarhead[/red]
View Quote

Didnt you hear? Their was a new law passed prohibiting calling Marines jarheads.

Jars retain things [;)]

echo6
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 8:04:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
And since marines can only match wits with kids who ride the short bus, this thread should die early.
View Quote

Quoted:
Didnt you hear? Their was a new law passed prohibiting calling Marines jarheads.
Jars retain things [;)]
View Quote

Minimum AFQT score allowed by the Army: 31

Minimum AFQT score allowed by the Marines Corps: 32

How 'bout that, huh? [:)]

This is an official image from the Army:
[img]http://www.bliss.army.mil/LocalUnitLinks/32aamdc/images/EOhP4.JPG[/img]

Pretty Scary, huh?
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 8:07:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
And since marines can only match wits with kids who ride the short bus, this thread should die early.
View Quote

Quoted:
Jars retain things [;)]
View Quote

Minimum allowed AFQT score by the Army: 31

Minimum allowed AFQT score by the Marines Corps: 32

[url]http://www.bliss.army.mil/LocalUnitLinks/32aamdc/images/EOhP4.JPG[/url]

Minimum allowed AFQT score by the Army: 31

[red]Minimum allowed AFQT score by the Marines Corps: 32[/red]

View Quote

hehehe...
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 8:16:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I agree that they have completely different missions, that's always been my whole point. I can never get the Marines here to understand that the Army is huge and specialized into different fields. Yes, I think every soldier should be a rifleman first, but that's just not how the Army beaurocracy sees it. (Marines, you have always gotten high marks from me on that one)

I will give the Marines this also: your Dress Blues are world class and pretty much can't be touched by any other uniform in my opinion. The Army makes a sad attempt to come close with our dress blues, but theyre pretty much just a glorified blue tuxedo.

Link Posted: 4/26/2003 8:28:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I vote Army. I still think that too many Marines are too whiney after that whole MARPAT thing...
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Their missions are not THAT different.

"Locate, close with and destroy the enemy..."

Sound familiar?

I have met many soldiers and former soldiers who said that they didn't join the Marines because they thought it would be too hard.

True, there are some who join the Army instead of the Corps because of a family tradition, or the desire to be a Ranger or SF.  But that's a very small minority.

There are Army boot camps that have coed platoons, soda machines, telphones and couches in the barracks.
That's just wrong.
That's why some soldiers are the way they are.

Link Posted: 4/26/2003 8:34:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 8:42:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Exactly.

Busting each other's balls is traditon.

(though the soldiers in that illustration don't look to be too vulnerable in that department)

Here's the "Army Service Ribbon", that EVERY soldier has to wear...
[img]http://www.usarotc.com/medals/mdimages/Image67.gif[/img]
Seems pretty clear to me.

Look! These folks must have just graduated from Army Basic...
[img]http://www.cnn.com/US/9605/21/gay.reax/flag.lg.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 4/26/2003 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#18]
To try and make a division based upon service is pathetic at best.

There is no doubt that a Marine out of boot camp is a well trained and motivated trooper.  Better than his counterpart out of Army boot camp.  However many of the Army troopers go on to be support personnel.

If you compare an Army combat arms soldier against a Marine you will find very little difference.  The Army has Advanced Infantry Training.  By the time you get out of the school you are a damn good rifleman and are very familiar with all kinds of weapons.  You don't make it through the school without being highly motivated.

The better comparison is not the average Army soldier vs the average Marine but the average Ranger/Airborne/Infantry against the average Marine.  That is comparing apples to apples.

The United States Army can very well take on any enemy in the world.  It is just that they are larger, more equipped and have many more cooks and clerks to get them the equipment.
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#19]
IBTL +1

BTW- I was going to join the Marines but I passed the ASVAB test...

Seriously, if the Marines are so good, why are they dependent on the Army for much of their training?

For example, the Corps has to train their Field Artillery people at Field Artillery Training Center at Ft. Sill, OK.

Their ADA troops have to train at the Air Defense Artillery School at Ft. Bliss, TX.

Airborne training? Ft. Benning, GA.

Link Posted: 4/26/2003 9:34:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[:D]Like this one will be the "Mother of All Interservice Rivalry Threads".  Dream on.  Trashing folks in the Army is like matching wits or beating up on the kids who ride the short bus.  There's just no sport in it.

Besides, I've got a whole day's worth of Birthday Sex to enjoy!
View Quote

Enjoy the sex, don't forget to switch hands or you might cramp.
View Quote

[ROFL2][ROFL][LOL]
Ah! I'm laughing so hard!
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
See the above post that cites the Army's LOWER ASVAB REQUIREMENT.

Seriously, if the Marines are so good, why are they dependent on the Army for much of their training?

For example, the Corps has to train their Field Artillery people at Field Artillery Training Center at Ft. Sill, OK.

Their ADA troops have to train at the Air Defense Artillery School at Ft. Bliss, TX.

View Quote

There's no doubt the Army is very large, and has the above mentioned schools.  That the Marines do not have their own armor, arty, etc. schools is irrelevant.

What is NOT irrelevant is the fact that Marines consistantly finish in the top of their classes at these schools, competing against and beating out soldiers at their OWN schools..

Link Posted: 4/26/2003 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Cincinnatus:

That 32d AAMDC picture is a low blow. As I pointed out in the Lynch thread, this unit is so many echelons above reality as to not be comparable in any way to the USMC. There doctrinal mission supports the entire theater - this includes Marines!

Unfortunately, yes, they do wear Army green. You win on that point. I will argue that if the USMC had that mission, you would face a similar situation, however.

What vthe fuick is up with those berets? Why do I have the feeling that if the picture went down lower, the guy with the rifle would have a finger rested squarely on the trigger? Ugghh!!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 9:58:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Unfortunately, yes, they do wear Army green. You win on that point. I will argue that if the USMC had that mission, you would face a similar situation, however.
View Quote

Are saying that "if the USMC had that mission", that the Corps would be forced somehow to adopt a kinder, gentler Boot Camp, like that of the Army? [:)]

Would the Corps somehow have no choice but to lower its PT and ASVAB standards to that of the Army?

Quoted:
When I was inthe 82nd, we were told we couldn't call them "jarheads" anymore. It was proven  that you can fit a brain in a jar.
View Quote

Again, please try to read the above posts.
It has already been revealed that the Army has LOWER ASVAB score requirements than the Marines.
(...and those cheap, lime-green polyester shirts, too)
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Marines  229 years of tradition, unhampered by progress  [:D]

Aviator
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 10:01:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 10:01:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Ok..ok..did'nt the 3rd ID get to Baghdad before the expeditionary Marines??? Did'nt the 3rd ID go through the "heart" of the Iraqi Republican guard at Karbala?? [:D] Did'nt the 3rd ID take-over Saddam's palaces before the you-know-whos???[:D]

IBTL [LOL]

I'm just kidding jar...errr..Marines.[;)]
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ok..ok..did'nt the 3rd ID get to Baghdad before the expeditionary Marines??? Did'nt the 3rd ID go through the "heart" of the Iraqi Republican guard at Karbala?? [:D] Did'nt the 3rd ID take-over Saddam's palaces before the you-know-whos???[:D]
View Quote

Funny how the Marines were given the route to Baghdad that was most populated.
Makes sense, though.

[img]http://www.bliss.army.mil/LocalUnitLinks/32aamdc/images/EOhP4.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 10:08:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Enjoy the sex, don't forget to switch hands or you might cramp.
View Quote

I'll have to keep that in mind.  But so far the only thing that got a cramp is my tongue[:P]....right after my wife's 5th encounter of the Almighty One this morning.  It's her birthday too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 10:08:50 AM EDT
[#32]
A marine recon platoon was on patrol when the lt. noticed a lone special forces soldier standing on a hill top in their area. The lt. told two of his men to go take out that man.

They promptly ran as fast as they could toward the sf soldier. Just before they got to the top, the sf soldier ran over the other side of the hill. The two marines followed. For the next few miniutes there were bloody screams and dust flying in the air. Then as quick as it had started, it stopped and the sf soldier came up on the hill top. He brushed off his bdu's, straightened his beret, crossed his arms and stood there looking at the marines.

The lt., pissed, called for a squad to go get that sf soldier. They promptly ran as fast as they could toward the sf soldier. Just before they got to the top, the sf soldier ran over the other side of the hill. The marine squad followed. For the next few miniutes there were bloody screams and dust flying in the air. Then as quick as it had started, it stopped and the sf soldier came up on the hill top. He brushed off his bdu's, straightened his beret, crossed his arms and stood there looking at the marines.

The lt. was really hot now. He ordered the rest of his platoon to attack the sf soldier. Determined that the recon was far superior to the one sf soldier they had blood in their eyes as they ran up the hill.Just before they got to the top, the sf soldier ran over the other side of the hill. The marine's followed.

For many miniutes there were bloody screams and dust flying in the air. It continued and continued. Finally there was one lone marine crawling back to the lt., all bloody and beat about the head and shoulders. His bdu's were torn, cuts were all over his body. The lt. asked for a sit.rep.

The lone marine, bloody and beaten replied in a forceful and fearful voice "Sir, run, its a trick. There are TWO of them!!"
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Two Marines boarded a quick shuttle flight out of Dallas, headed for Houston.
One sat in the window seat, the other sat in the middle seat.

Just before take-off, an Army soldier got on and took the aisle seat next to the two Marines.

The Soldier kicked off his shoes, wiggled his toes and was settling in when the Marine in the window seat said, "I think I'll get up and get a coke."
"No problem," said the Soldier, "I'll get it for you."

While he was gone, the Marine picked up the Soldier's shoe and spit in it. When the Soldier returned with the coke, the Marine in the middle seat said, "That looks good, I think I'll have one too."

Again, the Soldier obligingly went to fetch it and while he was gone, the Marine picked up the soldier's other shoe and spit in it. The Soldier returned and they all sat back and enjoyed the rest of the short flight to Houston.

As the plane was landing, the Soldier slipped his feet into his shoes and knew immediately what had happened.

"How long must this go on?" the Soldier asked.

"This fighting between our services? This hatred? This animosity?

This spitting in shoes and peeing in cokes?"

[:D]

Aviator
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Are saying that "if the USMC had that mission", that the Corps would be forced somehow to adopt a kinder, gentler Boot Camp, like that of the Army? [:)]

Would the Corps somehow have no choice but to lower its PT and ASVAB standards to that of the Army?
View Quote

Bingo!

The USMC depends on the Army and Navby for higher echelon support, schools, etc. tehse all = soldier / sailor billets that must be filled by those other services, not only to support themselves but to support you. This means a bigger service with more overhead. This means recruiting much larger numbers per year. There are only so many people you can pull in with the USMC image and advertising philosophy. You have to depend on Susie soccer mom amnd others to fill the seats otherwise. If you fail to understand this concept, than maybe all those jarhead jokes are truer than I thought.
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Hey, the Marines are coed....
View Quote

"Coed"?

Do you really want to address that issue?

How's that Coed Army Boot Camp coming along?
Great idea, really.
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
IBTL +1

View Quote

Because the Marine Corps has no Field Artillery Training Center, no Air Defense Artillery School, and no Airborne school either.  Since the methods of indirect fire, air defense, and airborne are the same, why waist money on every branch of the service with duplicate training?  
The Marines have Assault Amphibians Vehicles(amtracks), the Army does not.
The Marines have their school for the AAV's, the Army does not need one.  If the Army did, they would either train at Camp Delmar on MCB Camp Pendelton, or the Marines would set up and train the Army on their use on an Army post with the space available.  Once again, this saves money.

As far as airborne training, all branches of the service use Fort Benning.  Including the Air Force, and they are the ones with all those aircraft.  Go figure.

Bilster
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 10:19:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Bingo!

The USMC depends on the Army and Navby for higher echelon support, schools, etc. tehse all = soldier / sailor billets that must be filled by those other services, not only to support themselves but to support you. This means a bigger service with more overhead. This means recruiting much larger numbers per year. There are only so many people you can pull in with the USMC image and advertising philosophy. You have to depend on Susie soccer mom amnd others to fill the seats otherwise. If you fail to understand this concept, than maybe all those jarhead jokes are truer than I thought.
View Quote

So you're saying that you guys are bigger, weaker and dumber because you have to serve us.  This frees the Corps up, so that we can be "fewer", stronger and smarter.
Makes sense to me.
I see your point.
We do appreciate it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Marines don't even have anyone smart enough to become combat medics, they have to borrow theirs from the Navy...

Aviator

Link Posted: 4/26/2003 10:25:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:
Jars retain things [;)]
View Quote

USAF:42
How 'bout that, huh? [:)]

[url]http://www.bliss.army.mil/LocalUnitLinks/32aamdc/images/EOhP4.JPG[/url]

Pretty Scary, huh?
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 10:25:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Seagoing bellhops...some mission
nice pic ex murph LOL
Remember where that retirement check comes from
Dept of the NAVY
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 10:28:34 AM EDT
[#41]
And believe me, the Marines and I appreciate all of those in the lesser services that help to serve and support our glorious Corps.
[:)]
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 10:32:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

USAF:42
View Quote

Actually the minimum AFQT score required by the Air Force is 40.
That's special enough, you needn't exaggerate.

The Navy's, like their dim comrades in the Army is also 31.
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#43]
And we appreciate it.  And those of us that are in they AF enjoy watching you guys PT while we drink beer.[:D]  Cheers!
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 10:49:09 AM EDT
[#44]
ARMY=

Ain't
Ready to be a
Marine
Yet

Why do sailors have tatoos on their backs?  To give Marines something to read! [beathorse]

Link Posted: 4/26/2003 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Seriously, I love those Army uniforms.  I like the colorful patches and decoratrions, and the tabs sewn all over the place, very classy ...and to top it off those fabulous little berrets!  How Super![snoopy]
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Bam!
[img]http://www.usm.edu/arotc/images/retire1.JPG[/img]
[img]http://www.csulb.edu/org/armyrotc/pictures/pt-buddy/samson.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.csulb.edu/org/armyrotc/pictures/pt-buddy/pt-buddy-start.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
And believe me, the Marines and I appreciate all of those in the lesser services that help to serve and support our glorious Corps.
[:)]
View Quote

[img]http://www.wiredvideo.com/img/cat.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Note that the above pic of the Army squad in class C's is an ROTC unit, not active.

Anyway, to address the notion that Marines attend Army schools and constantly finish at the top of the class...well, you know that the Marines they send to Ranger School, Airborne, etc. are usually already Recon Marines before they ever get to go, so...you're comparing Recon Marines to guys just out of Army boot. I have a SEAL friend who stated the same obvious, that when SEALs attend Airborne school they seem to finish at the top. Gee, ya think?

Besides, I've heard many times on this board that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. That's why the Marines went to nametapes on their BDU's.

I believe that you should compare Marine Infantry to Army Infantry, definitely not Rangers. The Rangers have much more capability and advanced skills. They truly are special operations in nature. MEU-SOCs are special in name.

And lastly, yes your average Marine is more gung-ho than your average soldier. Definitely. They spend alot of time around sailors and that's enough to make anyone feel superior.

(out of all fairness, please notice that I do capitolize Marine, it is a title and I respect that.)

Link Posted: 4/26/2003 11:44:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Note that the above pic of the Army squad in class C's is an ROTC unit, not active.
View Quote

Yup, the future LEADERS of the Army.
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I believe that you should compare Marine
And lastly, yes your average Marine is more gung-ho than your average soldier. Definitely. They spend alot of time around sailors and that's enough to make anyone feel superior.
View Quote

Having worked with and been exposed to both Army and Navy units I would say the average sailor is far more professional then the average soldier.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top