Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2001 4:14:31 PM EDT
I cant believe I have to move to NJ!!! I've been living in PA for over a decade and have enjoyed having a CCW, many an assault rifle and frinds with neat, full-auto/silenced weapons. Now, due to new job I need to move to Jersey. From what I'm told I cant have any assault weapons! No magazines over 15 rounds! or carry a gun....I'm in disgust!!!

I presently own 4 very well kept pre-ban AR's.
Now, if I fully strip the lowers, keep them appart from the uppers; are the lowers still considered a firearm? In all logic, a fully stripped lower (as I see it) cant be considered a firearm. Right? I mean, if I was walking down the street with a fully stripped lower, I wouldnt be charged with brandishing a firearm, since it cannot be made to fire alone.Right?

In addition, some guy at a gun store also told me to put in a wooden dowel into the 30round mags, limiting them to 15 rounds or less. Thereby making them legal. Is this true?  

If anyone has any insight into this very upseting dilema, please enlighten me.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 4:17:25 PM EDT
[#1]
There is no place in New Jersey you can commute to from PA.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

In all logic
View Quote

HA HA HA HAAAA HAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

There's your whole problem; you're using logic!  It'll never work.

Receivers are firearms for Federal law.  Hence no mail-order stripped lowers.  As far as NJ state law goes, you may be a pioneer.  Why not leave them in PA with somebody?  In a safe deposit box?
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 4:24:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to commute from Pennsy to Hackensack.
it was worth it just to keep my quality of life.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 4:30:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Jet A New JOB!!!!!!!

I grew up in the PSRNJ (Peoples' Scoialist Republic of New Jersey) and left several years ago.[:D]

I had the unfortunate pleasure of returning this past weekend for a funeral.[:X*]  (The visiting of the PSRNJ was the worst part of the whole ordeal!)

As for the questions about PSRNJ laws I'm sorry but I can't help you there other then to tell you that the US Constitution states the people have a right to keep and bear arms.  Any law that violates that is unconstitutional.

I would seriously try to get another job rather then move to teh PSRNJ.

Good luck!

edited for fat fingers
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm thinking if it were me, I would find a new job...
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#6]
That's why they let you into NJ for free, but you have to pay to leave. I'm with PBR on this one... the state is only about 70 miles wide. Commute.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Three little words...
FIND ANOTHER JOB

I know it sounds harsh but SCREW New Jersey

Good luck
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes you can block mags to 15 rounds with whatever you like (I use empty shells - dowels bind the spring).

No you may not own ANYTHING pre-ban in the way of firearms.

You cannot get a carry permit - consider it impossible.

A lower is a firearm - period.

Be careful of even having the parts to make a pre-ban gun. NJ sucks.

I'm not joking - technically the law states that a semi-auto BB gun with a resovoir of BBs (Like we all had as kids) is an ASSAULT SHOTGUN because it shoots "non-fixed ammo".

I live here - my advice is commute or get another job. I'm looking to leave as soon as I can convince the wife.

-LevelHead-
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife is dragging me to New Jersey for a week in September.
The only thing I was looking forward to is the "Sopranoland Tour", but it sounds worse there than PRK.
Looks like the only weapon I will be able to carry is my boxcutter to protect myself.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 6:38:18 PM EDT
[#10]
mtnpatriot      get A New JOB!!!!!!!
               Good luck!
luckydogonfire
I'm thinking if it were me, I would find a new job...  
AAA+
Three little words...
FIND ANOTHER JOB
LevelHead
No you may not own ANYTHING pre-ban in the way of firearms.
SS109
My wife is dragging me to New Jersey for a week in September.

as for what i was going to say, its been said. no job is worth the tyrany.
ss109 hate to say it, leave her behind if she wants to stay.

Link Posted: 4/26/2001 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I say get yourself a cheap used little rice burner  Then commute if possible.

living in jersey is like crossing the bridge of no return.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Lived there for 30 Yrs.
I left 7 Yrs. ago.
I will never go back!
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 8:08:49 PM EDT
[#13]
MAYDAY!!MAYDAY!!! Warning Will Robenson!welcome
to my Nightmare....man if you must work in PRNJ
commute if you work in Northern Jersey Try Easton PA not a bad town.As for me their is no escape I married a Jersey girl.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, job transfer? That's fixable. Thing NOT to do is fall for a NJ gal who won't here of moving out of the "Garden State", and move there from PA...wasn't into rifles when I did, and PRNJ is OK with out of state pistol imports (at least for now). Couple of years ago, stumbled across a BUSHMASTER carbine in a PRNJ gunshop, found out it was legal, and then started discovering the extent of my mistake in leaving the Free State of Pennsylvania.....

In addition, some guy at a gun store also told me to put in a wooden dowel into the 30round mags, limiting them to 15 rounds or less. Thereby making them legal. Is this true?
View Quote

Yes, it is true. Permanent or temporary, if the mag is blocked to 15 rounds, it's PRNJ kosher. Agree with a previous post about dowels binding, take the time to make a wood block (or metal if you're a machinist) that won't block the mag.

If its only the job making you move and you have any skills that don't require licensure by the state, stay in PA.

Forget CCW in PRNJ.

Do not bring in "preban" parts of an "assault weapon"

As bad as PRNJ is, you can still own decent "post ban" "assault weapons" that aren't specifically named on "Ze Verboten List"....Examples?  Well FN-FAL you're a criminal--DSA Medium Contour, you're OK. All post ban guns not on "Ze List" are OK. If not on "Ze List", PRNJ law mirrors '94 assault weapon law...no bayonet lug, no flash hider and pistol grip? OK. (ex. bushmaster, Kahr Arms version of Thompson). no bayonet lug, no pistol grip, flash hider? OK (ex. M1A)

Hey, it could be worse. You could be transfered to California. Then you'd really be screwed [;)] Welcome to Purgatory, Bro! Shoot me an email if you need a place to shoot and you're south of Trenton....
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Things are not all bad in NJ. Here this will cheer you up.

[URL]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=18247#lastPost[/URL]
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#16]
This may help: http://www.homestead.com/njccw/njgunlaws.html

As long as the rifles are not marked "AR-15" as they were on some 1960's Colts, you could replace the barrels to get rid of the threaded barrels, flash suppressors, and bayo lugs. Put a fixed stock to get rid of the adjustable one and your legal.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#17]
do whats right for your family, if that means moving to NJ then so be it, the NJ Gunners could use another progun vote
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 2:41:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Every Time I Cross That Jersey line I Start
Humming "Back In The U.S.S.R"

Commute My Friend.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 3:01:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I live in NY and once you live in a place like this for a long time something happens to you. I am here 35 years and it has taken a great toll on me. I want to leave but now I have ties. Wife, kids in school, business. It gets harder and hareder to leave the best thing is not to come then you wont ever say I want to leave one day. No joke quality of life is price less. I don't know what kind of job or money you make but anti gun states tend to be restrictive on other issues also. Taxes,Fees, permits,licenses,housing cost,car insurance,property taxes,gas prices,tolls ect so it is not just guns. If you think you will be unhappy try what ever has to be done not to go to Jersey. I think NJ is worse then NY. NY is no vacation. My gas and electric bill will knock your socks off. House prices will make your kids run. I think the NY metro area is a bad place I am just here cause my grandfather settled here when he came from Italy. I will get out of here one day even if it kills me trying!!! See the mind set you get into. Think before you make the move. It could also affect your marage if you are married. This sounds crazy but these places are no friend of hard working,gun loving Americans. Again, it is not just guns!!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 5:58:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm goin' there today for the weekend...  'course I'm coming from MA where the gun laws are bad, but not NJ bad...
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:37:54 AM EDT
[#21]
How about the rumor that Hollow Point Pistol Ammo is illegal also?
Any truth to it?
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:17:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Hollow point ammo is only illegal to posess for illegal purposes.  Clear?  Didn't think so.

It's sold in all the gun shops, used in competitions all the time, legal to possess, Cops use it, I use it.  It's even legal to shoot a bad guy with if every other aspect of the shooting is squeaky clean.  If a criminal uses it in a criminal act, it's another charge they can ding him with.

Jersey City Armory has a website with links to several NJ law sites, including the ass gun laws.  Try [url]www.jcarmory.com[/url] or [url]www.ammoman.com[/url] for links.

I've got 22 years in NY & 6 in NJ.  None of it near NYC.  Don't confuse NYC & NY state.  Very different places, attitudes & laws. Actually, I was amazed at all of the shooting clubs & competitions in NJ after hearing all the stories.

Enjoy,
Norm

Here's the site with links I was thinking of.  [url]www.nationalccw.com[/url]  The NJ links are at the bottom of the page.  HTH
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 11:37:45 PM EDT
[#23]
[bold][red][center][size=6][-!-!-]FUCK NEW JERSEY![-!-!-][/size=6][/center][/red][/bold]

I live in NY, and as bad as things are for shooters here, NJ SUCKS! At least if we cleared the commies out of NY State, we'd have some real estate worth hanging on to! Jersey smells like...like... Jersey! Drive down the Palisades or the Garden State and you too will wonder what the hell Bruce Springsteen has to sing about. Ever wonder why they CHARGE you a toll to come into NY, but it's FREE to go to Jersey? The broads are sleasy, the cities are like Beiruit, and the Air is like breathing a shit fog. The taxes are high, as is the insurance and the gas and electric. There's no space, no culture, no history, no past, and  no future. The best thing we could do to that state is to cut it the hell off like a malignant tumor, and push it into the Atlantic in the direction of CUBA!

SAMHAIN44
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 3:03:06 AM EDT
[#24]
i cant believe my wife and i are planning a trip to nj. my brother is stationed there at the Naval Weapons Station...wait...

thats it! thats why they have strict rules with weapons!  they goddamn got enough nuclear bombs in that friggin place for everyone!
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 4:05:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Geez, I must have it backwards.   [:\]  I live in NJ and commute over the river to work in PA!  Yet I've got a number of handguns, an AR, a Garand some .22 rifles, a couple of shotguns and shoot a couple of times every week.  What an I doing wrong? [;)]

Norm
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 5:09:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Norm G:
Geez, I must have it backwards.   [:\]  I live in NJ and commute over the river to work in PA!  Yet I've got a number of handguns, an AR, a Garand some .22 rifles, a couple of shotguns and shoot a couple of times every week.  What an I doing wrong? [;)]

Norm
View Quote

You are in NEY JERSEY!!  Ha Ha Ha

[:D]
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:05:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
[bold][red][center][size=6][-!-!-]FUCK NEW JERSEY![-!-!-][/size=6][/center][/red][/bold]

I live in NY, and as bad as things are for shooters here, NJ SUCKS! At least if we cleared the commies out of NY State, we'd have some real estate worth hanging on to! Jersey smells like...like... Jersey! Drive down the Palisades or the Garden State and you too will wonder what the hell Bruce Springsteen has to sing about. Ever wonder why they CHARGE you a toll to come into NY, but it's FREE to go to Jersey? The broads are sleasy, the cities are like Beiruit, and the Air is like breathing a shit fog. The taxes are high, as is the insurance and the gas and electric. There's no space, no culture, no history, no past, and  no future. The best thing we could do to that state is to cut it the hell off like a malignant tumor, and push it into the Atlantic in the direction of CUBA!

SAMHAIN44
View Quote
Wow! Those are some pretty broad generalizations! As someone that lives south of the "Mason Dixon" line in NJ (Exit 8 on NJTP),I can assure you that the WHOLE state is nothing like what you described.I have noticed a HUGE influx of ex-NY'ers (the same folks that put Hillary Clinton and Chuck Schumer in the Senate)around the area I live in.Sure,the gun laws are absolutely insane here and I would never defend them,but when you live in a VERY densely populated area (D.C. to Boston corridor),it is becomming almost impossible to compete with Democrap voters that want politicians to make all their decisions for them.Sleazy broads?You watch too much Sopranos.I'm pretty sure if you're trying to find a sleazy broad,you'll be able to find one in any of the 50 states.You're statement about cities like "Beirut",sadly,is true in many cases.But I'm sure there are many once-nice places in the country that have been destroyed by various problems (overcrowding,Section 8 housing,industry,etc.).I always find it amusing how most people that have never been here think the whole state looks like the area around the Newark Airport.Look up the richest communities in the country and see how many are in the PRNJ (Upper Saddle River,Alpine,etc.).Enjoy your freedom while it lasts.The tri-state area liberals will eventually make it out to your town (once Broward,Palm Beach,and Dade counties are full.....hehe)and contaminate it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:14:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
As long as the rifles are not marked "AR-15" as they were on some 1960's Colts, you could replace the barrels to get rid of the threaded barrels, flash suppressors, and bayo lugs. Put a fixed stock to get rid of the adjustable one and your legal.
View Quote

God how I hope that you are not serious. Anyone that would dare bastardize a rare orignal Colt Commanche in such a manner just to appease a craphead politician should be strung up by nuts and caned. They definitely have no business here.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:31:41 AM EDT
[#29]
If you need to get rid of some pre-bans to a good home where they will be cared for and lovingly stroked and massaged until shiny and juic...oops was thinking preban and got excited...
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:40:03 AM EDT
[#30]
"NEY" Jersey?   I'm sure there's some humor in there somewhere, but I'm missing it.  Wouldn't be the first time.  

Samhain44 needs to get past Newark.  Almost anything more than 15 miles west or forty miles south of NYC is pretty decent, air & crowd wise.   The range up in Cherry Ridge (Highlands on the map) is absolutely beautiful.  

The biggest crop in the garden state is new houses for the NYC people who want to "live in the country".  

Norm
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 7:43:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

SAMHAIN44
View Quote

Believe it or not, lots of ex-NYC patriots (like me) found refugee in NJ. Yes gun control is tough here, but noting like NYC, I can legally own an  AR15 anywhere in the State, they are banned in NYC ,that is way I left. Funny, but most of NYC actually fits your description of NJ. And not all NJ is bad, that is why we have to stay and fight for our rights, and eventually ‘liberate NJ”.

Link Posted: 4/30/2001 8:02:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Amen Norm!Once you get past the urban sprawl...it's not hard to find out where the "pineys" with Bushmasters hang out....hehe.Never been to Cherry Ridge,but Range 14 at Ft.Dix is pretty cool too.Rifle range is only 200 yds.,but every time I've been there,the guys with semi autos outnumber the bolt action "hunting rifle" guys.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I live in NY I hate it. I have relative in NJ and I always said it was a great stae outside of its gun laws. I here the fishing is great and nice hunting. I always like visiting them. They live in pompton planes. I can't move there though. I have vowed to move to a pro gun stae when I leave this s it hole. Texas or Florida. I am leaning towards Texas after talking to some of you guys on this board. Some caution to you people in Florida. many NYers are moving to south Florida and shifting the balance in power. You might just experience what I live with in the near future. I hope not for your sake Florida is very nice.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#34]
I live in NJ. I advise you NOT to move here. I dont like it, the only reason I'm here is, wife has family here,(another reason to scoot) and I'm getting payed too well to turn my back on it. I'm being bought to stay.
Thats OK, I'm building a pretty nice nest egg, and will move to Maine, or Pennsylvania(or another free state) in the near future.
If you move here, we do have some pretty decent ranges. DO NOT SHOOT IN THE WOODS!!! I've been to court (traffic ticket) and witnessed people getting BIG fines for shhooting in the woods.
I'm in the pine barrens, so you wouldnt think this would be a problem. Well theyre popping up the cookie cutter houses for the G.D. people from NYC so they can feel like they live in the country. It's getting worse.
Eric
PS  I dont think there is a law stating that you must register whatever you bring. Food for thought.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#35]
God! I never thought I'd ever be defending PRNJ, but after reading drivel posted by Samhain44 about how wonderful life is in Calcutta on the Hudson a/k/a NYC, I want to barf. At least I assume you live in the Rotten Apple...if you live upstate, you've probably never been south of Jersey City, in which case your comments are more understandable. PRNJ gun laws are ridiculous, but have more holes in them than a swiss cheese, if you're smart enough to look into them. NYC is Orwell's 1984 incarnate. And BTW, what's wrong with sleazy broads? Get much more for your money my man than with a nice church going NYC goodie two shoes (if there is such a woman in NYC)[;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top