Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2015 3:18:03 PM EDT
I 'm thinking I'm getting kinda conned by my local Ford dealer and would like another opinion.
Wife wanted a new vehicle so went to local, long time in business, Ford dealer and ordered a 2016 Mustang. Gave a $2000 deposit on credit card. Salesman told me that Ford says expect 10 weeks for delivery but most times is less than that. I ordered on Oct. 6 so mid Dec. delivery. Fair enough.
He emails me in Nov. and says car will be here Nov. 15. That comes and goes so get a voicemail about the 20th from salesman. Ford is saying there is a "conveyance breakdown" and delivery now Nov 28 to Dec 2. He claims that the railroads are busy and the conveyance is train breakdown and needs rescheduled.(???)
Dec. 15 and I send salesman an email. Where is the car? His reply is GM will call Ford and find out. No word back.
Sent another email last week. His reply is that Ford is holding Mustangs in plant for a software update which should be done by now.
He did send me a order confirmation in early Nov that shows the VIN of Mustang and my name which leads me to believe the car was built.
So, am I getting the run-around by dealer and if so, what would their motivation be?
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#1]
If you find someone on here from another dealer, they should be able to run a VIN.

I had a similar problem, only to find out that Dodge was completely incompetent and lost my truck for over a month.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll be ok OP. Now, cmon, deliver us the specs/build of your mustang. And pics of an equivalent 'stang would help.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 3:25:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Not much the dealer can do to get the manufacturer off of their ass to actually build and ship the car you ordered, unfortunately.

Why did you decide to special order one?
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 3:31:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Not many 2016's on the lots then and no convertibles of course this time of year.
Ordered all black GT Premium conv. with 401A group and voice Nav. 3.55 rear axle and auto trans because wife struggles with a manual. Oh, and upgraded to the 5 spoke wheels.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not many 2016's on the lots then and no convertibles of course this time of year.
Ordered all black GT Premium conv. with 401A group and voice Nav. 3.55 rear axle and auto trans because wife struggles with a manual. Oh, and upgraded to the 5 spoke wheels.
View Quote

Sounds really good Why didn't local dealers in your area have much of a selection? That doesn't sound like a very unusual option choice. Isn't 3.55 standard on the GT anyway?

Good luck to you getting your wife letting you drive it
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I 'm thinking I'm getting kinda conned by my local Ford dealer and would like another opinion.
Wife wanted a new vehicle so went to local, long time in business, Ford dealer and ordered a 2016 Mustang. Gave a $2000 deposit on credit card. Salesman told me that Ford says expect 10 weeks for delivery but most times is less than that. I ordered on Oct. 6 so mid Dec. delivery. Fair enough.
He emails me in Nov. and says car will be here Nov. 15. That comes and goes so get a voicemail about the 20th from salesman. Ford is saying there is a "conveyance breakdown" and delivery now Nov 28 to Dec 2. He claims that the railroads are busy and the conveyance is train breakdown and needs rescheduled.(???)
Dec. 15 and I send salesman an email. Where is the car? His reply is GM will call Ford and find out. No word back.
Sent another email last week. His reply is that Ford is holding Mustangs in plant for a software update which should be done by now.
He did send me a order confirmation in early Nov that shows the VIN of Mustang and my name which leads me to believe the car was built.
So, am I getting the run-around by dealer and if so, what would their motivation be?
View Quote

If you had a VIN assigned in Nov you should have had your car by now, it's usually only a couple of weeks from then to build it and a couple more weeks to ship it to the west coast.  The only reason you wouldn't is if some of the options you wanted are on production hold/restriction.  When you look at the order confirmation does it have a build date assigned?  That's the only way to know if your car has actually been built or is even scheduled to be built.  Also Flat Rock production is shut down from Dec 23 to Jan 4 so if it hasn't been built yet you're looking at another month at least.

You can check here to see if one of your option codes is restricted. http://www.arifleet.com/resources/manufacturing-updates/lead-times-downtime-production-delays/
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Ford salesperson here. We just took delivery of a 2016 coupe about two weeks ago. There are no delays that I am aware of. If you want, im me your vin and I'll plug it into our vehicle visibility and see what it says to confirm or deny what they are saying.

If you have a car on order the dealer wants it to show up as bad as you do trust me. That way they can deliver the car and get the deal done. There is no benefit to the dealer to string the deal out.

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a friend who ordered a Mustang GT several years ago. When it didn't show up, he got the run around from the dealer. After a few weeks he found out they marked it up and sold it to someone else.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#9]
here is my problem with the story.

If it was a train issue, THEN the factory is holding it, that sounds fucky. Unless they are saying they had trouble getting it onto a train.

The question I would ask, is, how would they (dealership, ford, whoever) benefit from stringing you along?

That would drive what I did next. I'm betting its a combination of lack of giveafuck plus general incompetence holding things up.

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Everyone keeps assuming that if the story the dealer is giving is true, they have to be benefiting in some way.  Not necessarily.  It could be a case of a tall tale to cover up incompetence.  I.E. the OP gave the Dealer $2k and the dealer just didn't put the order in right away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top