Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2003 4:15:22 PM EDT
When I was about 16, or 17 3 friends & I were making a run from Wisconsin to S.D. on our annual fireworks buying trip. My friend Steve, & I were in the back seat of the candy apple red 73 charger. My other friends, Greg, & Richard were up front Richard driving Greg's Charger. Richard was a notoriously bad driver, but when your young you don't always protect yourself very well. Richard pulls out to pass a slow car, & in the distance we see an oncoming car. (2 lane highway) At 1st we didn't say anything, but Richard wasn't making any attempt to stand on the 383 4 barrel muscle car as he was yakking it up with  Greg & hadn't noticed that the oncoming car is  getting close real quick. At the last second Steve,& I start screaming at the top of our lungs for him to pull in. He does, no accident. He's like what? Steve & I are royally p.o.'d at him, & he is totally oblivious as to why. Things calm down, & Steve & I start talking, & turns out we both had our lives flash before our eyes that moment. It's hard to explain, just quick fractions of seconds of life events, family,& friends at a dizzying rate of speed. Never had it happen since, but I found out where that expression came from that day.
Has your life ever flashed before your eyes? [red]& why?[/red]
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 4:26:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#2]
yes, motorcycle accident,a bad one. I was looking at the light at the end of a tunnel kind of thing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 4:29:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes.  But it was reprehensibly short.  I had to call for a rerun.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 4:34:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Nope.  Both times I have been confronted with what seemed like imminent death or grievous bodily harm, the only thing that passed through my mind was "this is gonna hurt."
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd have to say it's flashed in front of me 3 times so far.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know!  Maybe it did ... and I just didn't notice!
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#8]
It did, and it was so lame I changed the channel out of boredom.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#9]
[size=6]Flashed???    It's the goddamned daily afternoon movie!![/size=6]
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#10]
2` Aircraft accidents and all I could think is "This is gonna hurt".

I was shot when I was 16 and nearly kicked the bucket...yea I saw the light but funny thing is your not scared, Ill I thought about is if I get out of this Im going to ask a cheerleader out as soon as I get back to school. Wierd what goes though a guys mind.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2003 6:51:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nope.  Both times I have been confronted with what seemed like imminent death or grievous bodily harm, the only thing that passed through my mind was "this is gonna hurt."
View Quote

Same here.  Is my life so boring it's not worth a best times episode at the end?[:(]
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd have to say that the closest I got to a "life flashing by" situation would have been on the bird, getting ready to Jump into panama in Dec '89. Mostly I recall thinking that if I got it outside the bird it would be incredibly better than if the bird went down with me in it.
I didn't really have any regrets, just anxiety over whether I'd let my buddies down.
When I hit the ground, I was way to busy to dwell on my short life (I was only 19)- I was literally living for the moment.

another time, I rolled in a ford Aerostar: my only thaughts were " dad's gonna have my ass!"
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 7:07:35 PM EDT
[#13]
One time when I was straining really hard cuz the turd just wouldn't budge...
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes.  14 y/o.

I got wrapped in the solar cover on the pool underwater and couldn't get out.  The more I struggled, the worse I became entangled.

I finally realized that it was over, came to a Peace with that and stopped struggling.  The cover parted and I was free.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 7:49:58 PM EDT
[#15]
16 years old.  ANFO.  Gasoline.  Cigarette.

And that's all I have to say.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 8:06:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
16 years old.  ANFO.  Gasoline.  Cigarette.

And that's all I have to say.
View Quote

Story and pics please.[:D]
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Ran out of gas and was putting on fumes on the eWay right lane at 3AM. Just when I attempted to pull to the shoulder I get creamed by a semi at 75 MPH. With the car crumbling Violently behind me, noise and glass flying everywhere in EXTREME slow motion, My life flashed before my eyes in yes, Dizzying speed, I thought "this is gonna hurt" I came to peace with myself to accept the final minutes of my life(the wiedest type of calm I've ever experienced), Just waiting to buy the farm when the car ended in the median with the help of some crucial steering. Once shit stopped moving and crunching I looked behind my head rest to see jagged shards of metal one inch from my head.[:o]

Somehow I walked away with that one with minor whiplash. I had a knew restored faith in God after that one.[:o]

My dad who got hit a year following wasn't so lucky.

Link Posted: 4/19/2003 4:39:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'd have to say that the closest I got to a "life flashing by" situation would have been on the bird, getting ready to Jump into panama in Dec '89. Mostly I recall thinking that if I got it outside the bird it would be incredibly better than if the bird went down with me in it.
I didn't really have any regrets, just anxiety over whether I'd let my buddies down.
When I hit the ground, I was way to busy to dwell on my short life (I was only 19)- I was literally living for the moment.
View Quote

Damn, I'd like to hear more of that story.  I remember very well being at my girlfriend's house watching the Army go into Panama.  Heard some hair-raising tales from a guy I worked with about his experiences there.
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 5:12:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yes.  14 y/o.

I got wrapped in the solar cover on the pool underwater and couldn't get out.  The more I struggled, the worse I became entangled.

I finally realized that it was over, came to a Peace with that and stopped struggling.  The cover parted and I was free.
View Quote
The hand of god, not your time, not the place.
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 5:15:39 AM EDT
[#21]
When I was around 11 my parents took me to a water slide (first one i'd ever seen)I had to try it.as i was entering the last turn out of nowhere came a man and really plowed me.one secound later ,seemed like i was knocked out under water.In very quick succsessions I viewed my life.I wish I had the vocabulary to properly describe it.I'd have to say fight for your rights and searcher for the truth has it pretty close to what I had.amazing experience.
Link Posted: 4/20/2003 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#22]
yup almost fell down into a 3 story elevator shaft under construction while on the roof running some  cable.

all the general contractors did was lay some corigated metal over the hole  and nail it in a few spots.

didnt see my life flash but i sure said many an explative as i felt the snow under me give way.

you would be amazed  what an inch of snow can hide
Link Posted: 4/20/2003 10:34:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Rolled down a 3 story sand embankment into a mud pit in a chevy 4x4. Thought nothing but, "Oh fuck! Ohfuckohfuckohfuckohfuck"

Shared a bottle of whiskey with a bum that watched it happen and pulled the three of us out.
Link Posted: 4/20/2003 10:50:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Has your life ever flashed before your eyes? [red]& why?[/red]
View Quote

Nope, bullet hole and two operations in as many days, nothing.
Link Posted: 4/21/2003 12:19:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes, have fallen down a couple of steep hillsides while hiking.  Once saved myself from going over a cliff with a last-second ice axe arrest.  Another time I was saved by my Spyderco, which was tethered to my pack, getting caught between two rocks and acting as an anchor to stop my fall.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#26]
My life flashed before my eyes in a dream once.  it was the most realistic dream I have ever had.  It was a plane crash.  A 747, I was sitting next to my girlfriend and the jet started to plummet.  All I can remember was a sense of absolute terror.  I reached over and grabbed her hand as my life flashed in front of my eyes.  

It was an instantanous flash of memories.  I felt an overwhelming sense of tragety that my life was going to end this way.  The impact was enourmous.  It was It was the loudest most jarring thing you could ever imaging,  But the instant it hit my vision went red, then black.  I died.  I tried to grab my girlfriend's hand but it was just blackness, I had no arm, I had no body.

Then I woke up.  It was the most tramatic dream I have ever had.  the worst part is I was supposed to fly on a 747 with my girlfirend the next week.  I canceled the trip.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#27]
A trip Rocky Point, Mexico a couple of years ago proved to be a memorable trip. After kicking around downtown all day with friends and our kids, (Myself, my wife, Jxx and his wife. Our two young boys and their 2 young boys and) (Names have been x’d out to protect the not so innocent.) We stop for dinner and decide to go shoot off the fireworks we had collected throughout the day. Not wanting to travel back across town to where everybody else goes, as Jxx was not feeling well. Must have been the water! He He He. We decide to go out onto a road that leads to the estuaries near our condo. This about was 9:30 pm. We are approached by a full sized Chevy truck moving at a slow pace down the sandy road we had pulled off of over a large sand berm. As it gets closer I tell everybody to get in the vehicle. They climb in and I stand in the driver’s side door with my hand on the key. Since the headlights are shining towards me I can hardly make out whom it might be.

I start the SUV. Truck gets closer. I ease myself into the drivers seat with one foot still on the ground. Truck stops about 30 yards from us and sits for a few seconds. Suddenly the doors open and men jump out of the back of the truck. Then the worst of my fears comes true, they are wearing hoods and have M-16s and FALs and start towards us. Banditos I think to myself. Well I don’t have to tell you how stupid this was but I shut the door, slam the gear in drive and jump the berm hauling ass down this sandy road. I get a head start because they all run back to the truck and start after us. By this time the kids screaming, wives are crying, Jxx and I looking at each other trying to decide what to do next. We are headed down a dark road that we know only leads us farther from the city and neither one of us are that familiar with the area. At this point I see my life pass before me. (Not really but it is required for this thread.)  

We decide the best thing to do is pull over and hope for the best. I pull over, by this time they have caught up to us. I stop the vehicle and put it in park. I extend my hands out the window in the universal sign of surrender. This is where I visualize .223s and 308s coursing through my body. And everyone else in a crime seen pose with blood and bullet holes all over.  I look over my left shoulder and see that it is the Federalies. Sons of bitches. Hoods are gone and long arms are down at their sides and shit eating grins across their faces. On the inside I was fuming mad but I played it cool and got us out of there as quickly as possible. What I realized later was that I was not scared, Yeah the adrenalin was pumping but I think I got to a point where I knew we didn’t have a choice but to go through with whatever it was that would happen. I’m just glad it turned out ok and nobody got hurt. I think my friend’s wife hates me now but what else was I to do.

Not to steal the thread but what would you have done?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#28]
I've done a lot of stupid things in my life, but never had my life flash before my eyes. I understand the ANFOs comment, but that is nothing compared to trying to make R.D.X. in  a garage and having an unnamed person thro a cigarette in. Was pushed off a five story apartment building, landed on a matress, lit my hand on fire washing it with gasoline once. The worst was when I was flying my home built helicopter, and the rear rotor came off. I didn't happen to have a camera at the time, so no pictures.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, to start it off, I was being stupid. I was about nine or ten at the time, and I was riding my bike on the sidewalk. I needed to cross the road to go to my house, so I decided that this was as good of a place as any. Well, it wasn't. I crept up to the street (one way street) in front of this big white van. I was peeking out and I didn't see anything, but I didn't see all the way down the road. I started across it when a big Dodge Ram comes down the road. Anyway, I had the option of freezing, jumping off my bike, or pedaling like hell. I chose the last. I wasn't fast enough though, and this woman, who didn't brake until the last second, hit me. I saw a long black-walled spherical tunnel with light swirling towards the end...and at the end were pictures of things I had done....not my entire life but bits and pieces. I woke up about fifteen minutes later, but I think the tunnel part was only the moment of impact. Luckily, I walked away fine and my foot was just a little sore. It was my dumbass fault, but a lesson learned at a low cost, luckily.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here, Have almost met my maker twice, never saw any thing Flash, I just remember everything going in slow motion and thinking "this is gonna Hurt Like HELL"

I was in a Bad wreck and you could see it coming for seems like an eternity before contact was made. Same thing with the fall, took forever to reach the ground
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top