Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2001 10:44:44 AM EDT
How many people have you had success with, in showing them that guns are good?  I have personally converted 3 people, one of them is my wife.  

Also, how many more people have you been able to encourage into owning their own guns?  (rather than sitting by the side until they lose their RTKBA).  Personally, I've done this to 3 as well (2 are new to this mix, the third is my wife).  

Just as some will try to get people to convert to their religion, we must constantly work to educate, and convert people into the understanding that guns are not evil.  What have you done to encourage that?
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Can I count myself?

Up until 5 months ago I was fairly much a liberal/libertarian.  A lot of it had to do with some of my internet business stocks though, so I was mostly thinking selfishly on one thing  (proliferation issue).

Then I got my gun, and for some reason I started to see the light.  I realized liberals were idiots, liberals were trying to take away my mom's job, and liberals didn't want me to own my weapon (or if I did, have a 10 round magazine with a 5 round limiter in it).

I dunno what it is, but "the AR15 changed my life!".  Do I get a prize now?

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I have converted 2 people.  Although, my GF does not see the need for more than one gun.  She has her gun now, and that's fine with her.  Still have some deprogramming do perform on her.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Not counting family, I recently converted a co-worker.  His wife is a nice lady, but very anti-gun, animal rights, vegetarian, etc., so I had my work cut out for me.

I took my buddy shotgun shooting a few months ago, and he has since purchased a shotgun, pistol and rifle.  Last month, he joined the NRA.

His wife is slowly coming around too.  She has shot the pistol, and is interested in having me teach her the finer points of shotgunning.

Bud
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I have converted at least two people. Neither of them own guns yet, but one wants an AK.

Kyle
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 11:04:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I have only converted one...Who bought an AR.
But more importantly, my wife converted one...ME! Yes, several years ago I was a bed wetting, gun hating, liberal...but I have seen the light!!! I am fully in love with our Constitution (ALL OF IT) and especially our Bill of Rights. We are both members of the NRA (and I secretly send extra money with all those annoying fund raising mailings they always send!!!! HEHEHEHEHE)
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 11:41:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I imagine that I have converted lots of people.  I wear cool T-shirts with stuff like SHOOT TO KILL and SNIPER: IF YOU RUN YOU'LL ONLY DIE TIRED and camo pants while angrily repeating clever phreases such as WHAT PART OF INFRINGED DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND!?!?  a lot to people while calling them "sheeple."  Then I proceed to outsmart them and put them in their place.

They usualy call me an "atavism" or "nearenderthal" or stuff like that while leaving, but their just pissed because they know I'm right.  Idiots.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Let's see...

I talked two people into buying AR's before the deadline in PRK.  Neither was anti-gun, but had no interest in rifles until I explained that they were going to be outlawed by the forces of evil.
I taught my Mom to shoot @ 55yrs old. She particularly likes the AR because it is egonomic, accurate, and has mild recoil  even though she was agast when she first saw it (She recognized as being a so-called assault weapon from TV).
I taught my 2rd Cousin's daughter to shoot the AR (w/ .22lr adapter)  They do a damn good job of brainwashing in the schools, she was real nervous, but had fun and even wanted her picture taken w/ rifle to show her friends.

Cheers
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Several but not enough. I work at it all of the time.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 12:06:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I have converted my Wife and my Mom.  I converted my wife about 11 years ago.  She was afraid of and hated Handguns.  Now she carries one.  My Mom was never crazy about my gun habit but never said anything about it.  We started talking one day and when we were done I had convinced her guns weren't evil killers and She went from voting for Gore to voting for Bush!  How about that!
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 12:08:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Awesome stuff!  Of course, you all know that every one that you convert to being a gun owner, is one less than we need to argue with at a later point in time.  And much like (gag) Amway, or the shampoo commercial, if you get them to shoot, they'll get more to shoot.

One rule I always have when I'm inviting people, if you are shooting my guns as my guest, and you have never shot before, I will *NOT* take your money.  Pay your range fees if you must, but ammo, gun cleaner, all that is on me.  I've got a few more that were pro-2nd, but they haven't shot before, nor purchased, so I'm not sure if I would say that they are converted...  Here's hoping though!!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 1:19:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh, I'm sorry, I thought this was a continuation of the 'Jesus Saves, Jesus Saves' thread.[:D]

Eric The(Sorry, Again)Hun

Link Posted: 4/26/2001 6:59:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Over the last seven years, I have introduced at least eleven people to guns.  With one exception, they had never touched a firearm, but had a great time shooting.

I have also talked at length about the RKBA, and have had varying degrees of agreement from them.  At least no one is actively anti-gun, and many are now quite sympathetic.

My greatest success?  My dear wife.. she was never anti-gun, but now loves shooting.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I think I had a hand in converting quite a few. Because of my recently renewed interest in firearms, I have influenced several people at work. At least two of them bought ARs before the CA ban because of my prodding. Several others at work also renewed their interest and a couple bought CMP Garands. My wife now also owns an AR, and my kids shoot with me when we can.

Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:04:32 PM EDT
[#17]
If you are going to do conversions, do it right.
[URL]www.wetworx.com/ar15md.shtml[/URL]
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:17:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Every weekend I try to distribute as many firearms to our inner city youth as possible. I feel the need to own multiple firearms, especially in the city, is paramount to our success as a society. Also, I sometimes teach the new firearm owners the basics of the "drive-by" shooting technique. It is a difficult technique to master, but with a little practice and a big car(preferably a six-fo Impala)it can be done. We then move on to more advanced techniques such as the "Car Jack", a curoius combination of firearms handling, close quarters combat, and high speed driving. Also I spend a great deal of time on one of my personal favorites, "The Knockoff" this maneuver only requires a liquor or convienent store, a handgun, ski-mask, and a 40oz. of Old English Malt liquor. As you can see I have converted many a would be "honest citizen" into a full fledged "menace to society".

THIS IS ONLY A JOKE, DO NOT FLAME ME FOR BEING A LIBERAL. I CAN ASSURE YOU I AM ONE OF THE MOST PRO-GUN INDIVIDUALS ON THIS BOARD.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:33:08 PM EDT
[#19]
ive converted NONE
cuz everyone i know is already Pro-gun
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:51:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I've converted a few (about 4 or 5) two of which made firearms purchases and one of the two bought an AR and two Ak's.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 11:56:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Just this last Saturday I went to the range to work some bugs out.  There was already 3 young guys shooting when I got there.  Probably just turned 21 cuz they each had their 1st handguns with them.  They were all showing off trying to be "stylish" while shooting. When I walked past them to get to my bench,I nodded and said " nice toys you guys got there ." With big grins they all said "Thanks Dude"...Well, their grins turned to looks of  disbelief when I unpacked my Olympic 20" Colt barreled AR, my 16" Carbon-15 with all the goodies, my tube stock/pistol gripped AK-47 and a suitcase with filled mags. Immediately they all got a little uneasy (I look a little scary myself... shaved head & goetee) but continued their shooting. After they were sure I wasn't going to kill them ,they gradually started to show a little interest in my "toys." One of the guys even ran a bowling pin all the way out to the 100 yard mark because he couldn't believe I could hit it. I hadn't even gotten to sight in the guns yet but figured I'd give it a try anyway...On the 2nd shot it dropped. After it hit the ground I bounced it around a few more times with the other 28 shots. These guys were so amazed, they didn't stop smiling the rest of the day. After that, they came over and introduced themselves, shook hands & asked about the guns.We bullsh.tted about 1/2 hour & then got back to shooting. I told them I had to get the guns sighted in first, but, after that, the three of them could shoot 1- 30 round mag thru my Olympic AR ,  10 rounds each.They almost fell over, & couldn't say "YES" fast enough.  After sighting it in I called them over to shoot, explained the controls, safety, etc... and let them shoot. They all did real good &  thanked me several times and each shook my hand again. I couldn't believe 1 mag could make 3 guys so happy ! It was a great feeling and I would gladly do it again & again. Felt sorry for the last shooter though, cuz the first 2 guys were so happy shooting they lost count of their shots, only 8 were left for him. Didn't matter to him, he was happy faced too ! As they were leaving, they again thanked me for letting them shoot, and all swore they would buy an AR-15 as soon as they could afford it. I told them they were all very good shots & reminded them of the threat to our 2nd amendment, their age and their ability to vote.

click below for pics of my "toys"[:)]

[url]http://community.webtv.net/YULLOSE/artystoys[/url]          
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 12:03:11 AM EDT
[#22]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=14730[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top