Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2003 1:59:11 PM EDT
I am about to buy a safe and was looking for input on which type of lock I should get.  With the E-Lock, the combination can be changed, but then you have the battery to contend with.  With the dial comes having to dial the combination in every time.  What do you guys prefer?  The safe I want is the granite finish but it has the E-Lock while the safe with the dial lock has the glossy finish paint and the fancy design on the door.  The granite finish is $500 less than the gloss, but I am weary of the E-Lock.  Suggestions??????
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#1]
You can change the combo on the dial.
Are you concerned with the electronics or the battery?  Batteries are usually accessible from the exterior of the lock.
I prefer mechanical myself.  Electronics, while extremely reliable, fail without warning.
 If you are a tin foil kinda guy, how you gonna protect it from EMP?

My suggestion is this.  Tell the place selling the safe to switch the locks.  If they won't, go somewhere else.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#2]
my safe has the dial lock, having to dial the combo each time ist so  bad.
i have never seen anyone complaining about the electronic combo.
for 500 bucks less i would go with the e-lock.
i am sure the e-lock has some kind of warranty, and has been tested.
the granite finish looks better in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a electronic lock.. I like it as it is quick to acces if you need to.

just my $.02
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Try opening your safe in total darkness.  The electronic lock is faster and you can punch in the combination by feel.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#5]
worry more about spending money on thicker steel.

doors are relatively secure regardless of the lock type (i prefer the plain mechanical combo...but that's all in what you like). sides, back, top and bottoms are easily swazall'd into on the 10-12 gauge boxes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 2:24:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I use to have a combo, now I have electronic and like it allot better.  Quick to open.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#8]
My safe came with a dial, changed it to a keypad, never looked back. I think it was around $100 to change it over, plus I sold the dial lock back to the vendor.
What can I say, I'm used to punching keypads all day at work :P
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You can change the combo on the dial.
Are you concerned with the electronics or the battery?  Batteries are usually accessible from the exterior of the lock.
I prefer mechanical myself.  Electronics, while extremely reliable, fail without warning.
 If you are a tin foil kinda guy, how you gonna protect it from EMP?

My suggestion is this.  Tell the place selling the safe to switch the locks.  If they won't, go somewhere else.
View Quote

EMP? bah no need
EMP requires a long line to pick up the inductive charge and deliver it to the component to be effected by it. which means if a EMP goes off powerlines will pick it up and send it to your house and toasted any active electronics. however it will only affect ones PLUGGED into the house electric. since the safe wont be it will need to be far, far, far closer to ground zero to be affected on its own. and if that happens.. you have bigger problems that getting to your guns... like living for another 2 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 3:07:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Try opening that electronic lock after the safe has been sitting in the middle of a fire for half an hour...
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Try opening that electronic lock after the safe has been sitting in the middle of a fire for half an hour...
View Quote

While this is a good thought, if you had a Cannon with the E-lock, they will send someone to your house to open it at no charge!

I LOVE the E-lock, and can open my safe in less than 2 seconds, which I don't think anyone can do with a dial.

Go with the E-lock, go with Cannon for the best warranty out there, and the best bang for the buck to boot.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#13]
No matter what lock you get, always ALWAYS keep a working flashlight on the top of your safe.

If you have an electronic lock, change the batteries every year.  Also change the flashlight batteries.   Make it your birthday and you won't forget to change batteries.

Link Posted: 4/18/2003 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Electric lock?  What if the SHTF and the power goes out?  You're unarmed!

Edited to say:  Oh, is it battery powered?  But still, batteries can die.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#15]
While this is a good thought, if you had a Cannon with the E-lock, they will send someone to your house to open it at no charge!
View Quote

Yeah, I'm sure they'll be delighted to send someone out to your house (and half a million other customers' houses – be prepared to wait for your turn) after the S has HTF...Just give 'em a call...Oh, you say your phone isn't working, either? Gee, that's too bad – Maybe you can flag down a police officer to protect you...
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 8:53:57 PM EDT
[#16]

E-Lock..  lifetime warranty on mine...

I am in mine in less than 3 seconds..

And I have an switched LED light fixed at the dial, held by a magnet.  SWEET!  [:)]
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#17]
If an EMP device goes off, don't expect to get into your safe if it has an electronic lock.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#18]
If the SHTF so bad you didn't know it before it hit, you won't need to get in your safe 'cuz you'll be dead.
If the SHTF and you know 'cuz FOX or CNN gave you the heads up, you've got time to use your battery powered electronic lock.
If the SHTF and it was so 'hot' it melted your dial lock, uh, well, so you've got a 'foolproof' dial lock and you're dead.

The funniest thing I've ever heard about SHTF is from a Range Master who said, "the Shit has been gonna hit the Fan for 50 years and I haven't seen it yet!"

Get the safe you're looking at and lock up your stuff.  THAT'S the important part.
[;)]
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 9:14:58 PM EDT
[#19]
... I'm old fashioned. I prefer the mainstay S&G dial.

... That said, there are actually companies out there that market "crackers", like the one show below, that would open mine inside of a 1/2 an hour.

[img]http://www.mbausa.com/images/two.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 9:23:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a glow in the dark rat glued just above my dial, and a flashlight on top of the safe.

Don't get me started about Cannon's warranty.  It took me from Christmas Eve till last month to get a faulty lock replaced.  I've been nice...
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 9:36:39 PM EDT
[#21]
You folks that don't belive the S could ever HTF remind me of the folks who don't belive a gun could ever be useful against an intruder. Might as well turn 'em all in and let the police protect you!

An example: Terrorists set off a small nuke several miles from your house.  You're safely at work many miles away, but the thermal flash ignites hundreds of fires, one of which burns through most of the homes in your neighborhood. You return to find that the safe's still there, but the electronic lock is toast. Think the salesman that sold you the safe is going to send someone out to open  it anytime soon?

The whole point of owning guns is to be self-reliant. Why compromise that by depending on some locksmith that may or may not show up when you need him?
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Mine is both electronic and key, but it also holds only two handguns. [:|]

Edited to add: If I'm Home it's open.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 10:13:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 10:26:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Ummm... don't many e-locks have manual turnkey backups in case of electronic failures???

Link Posted: 4/18/2003 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Electric lock?  What if the SHTF and the power goes out?  You're unarmed!

Edited to say:  Oh, is it battery powered?  But still, batteries can die.
View Quote

Its funny this thread came up.

I just ordered a safe today, an AMSEC 6040.

The batteries can be replaced from the outside.

The solution is to keep a spare set of batteries on or near the safe.

As far as EMP is concerned, so of you missed NOVA5's post. EMP is not that big of a concern.

And from what I recall EMP won't effect things which aren't powered at the time, unless your in really, really close proximity and it a big explosion/reaction.

Its like worrying about a power surge distroying your computer while its not plugged in.

Basically EMP is like a power surge. It is induced upon long conductors (e.g.- power lines) causing a sudden rise, or spike, in the voltage.

Also regarding a fire hot enough to melt the dial. This would effect both types of locks. I have had other types of locks subjected to heat and the metal inside expanded causing the mechanism to bind.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a dial on the storage safe.  The safe is not intended for quick access.  However, ti is annoyingly incoveniently slow to access.  Therefore, I will get electronic on the next one.  

If you are worried about survivability of the electronics because of fire, I have heard some of the dial locks use x-ray transparent plastic (not heat resistant) parts inside.

For survivability from EMP or other failure you could get a second cheapo key box and into it you put your cutsaw and a generator to get into your other safe.  [:)]
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 10:46:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Ummm... don't many e-locks have manual turnkey backups in case of electronic failures???
View Quote

Don't recall seeing any.

If you have as bad a case of gun fondleitis as [b]Wolfpack[/b] apparently does (8 times a day? Sheesh!), you're probably better off with a safe that has both a medium-security key-operated lock and a high-security combo lock. Use the keylock when you're around the house, and use the combo before you head out for a night on the town.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
... However, it is annoyingly incoveniently slow to access...[:)]
View Quote

... Only if you're smelly drunk!
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 10:49:57 PM EDT
[#30]
It ain't always about SHTF stuff...what about the long holiday weekend or opening day of deer season?

Ever had a computer go down?..or a phone go bad?..or a calculator go screwy?...electronics get hiccups too.

So, while your buddies are all havin' a great time at the range or the huntin' trip...you're stuck at home cussin' that lock and waitin' on the locksmith to finish dinner before he can get over there to let you in.

Don't worry, I'm sure the guys will bring back pictures of all the 10 pointers they bagged while you weren't there.

PS: Congrats on buying a gunsafe(E* or dial), shows good gun ownership and responsible adult logic.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 10:56:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Ever had a computer go down?..or a phone go bad?..or a calculator go screwy?...electronics get hiccups too.

View Quote

I agree with you on that but I think it is less frequent with dedicated electronics, e.g. - A computer versus a calculator. While they can both calculate a "calculator" is more reliable and less complicated. Fewer things to go wrong.

Although i've never had a calculator act-up on me I have seen others calculators go bad.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 11:05:50 PM EDT
[#33]
There was a similar thread on GlockTalk. A professional locksmith replied that he would like ALL his customers to buy safes with electronic locks. Why? He explained that the locks, which are all made by the same one or two companies, fail like clockwork after about 4 years. It's not a battery issue--has to do the the touchpad circuits degrading.

I can see the usefulness of electronic lock for a small "bedroom" safe, but for your primary storage safe, a mechanical lock will last a lifetime and takes only about 20 seconds to open (if you don't forget the combination).
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 11:09:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
There was a similar thread on GlockTalk. A professional locksmith replied that he would like ALL his customers to buy safes with electronic locks. Why? He explained that the locks, which are all made by the same one or two companies, fail like clockwork after about 4 years. It's not a battery issue--has to do the the touchpad circuits degrading...
View Quote

... Yup, sometimes less is more
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 1:36:33 AM EDT
[#35]
I use the old fashion Dial Lock.
I saw the inside of a Electronic Lock after two years service and there was no way I would go that way.
The touch pad on the back of the keys appeared to be dry rotted.
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 1:45:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Dial which is impervious to EMP attacks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 3:26:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
There was a similar thread on GlockTalk. A professional locksmith replied that he would like ALL his customers to buy safes with electronic locks. Why? He explained that the locks, which are all made by the same one or two companies, fail like clockwork after about 4 years. It's not a battery issue--has to do the the touchpad circuits degrading.

I can see the usefulness of electronic lock for a small "bedroom" safe, but for your primary storage safe, a mechanical lock will last a lifetime and takes only about 20 seconds to open (if you don't forget the combination).
View Quote

Yep thats what I have read also so I went with the dial it takes about 20/30 sec to open if I had to do it again I would stay with the dial.
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 4:17:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes. Mine does, and its a (I know!) Sentry. It has the electronic key pad with manual key backup.
I love the keypad. I would never want to go back to dial type, especially since I am such a Slacker...
If it wears out in a few years I'm gonna have to eat crow...

[img]http://personalpages.tds.net/~eflanagin/safeclosed.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#39]
If the electronic lock uses a key as a backup, the security is never any better than the key lock (which ain't very good!). Essentially, the key lock becomes the weak link in your safe's security.

Again, the ideal arrangement seems to be having completely separate key and mechanical-dial locks. You use the key lock for quick access when you're around the house, and use the dial lock for maximum security before you leave home.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 2:26:28 AM EDT
[#40]
I just bought a Liberty safe with a dial lock.  But I have a pistol in a clock radio gun safe with a electronic lock .

[img]http://www.tlimages.com/images/users/2276/openclock.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top