Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 12/30/2015 7:52:19 AM EDT
Can't sleep, watching The Patriot again.

What if 5 grunts are defending Aunt Charlotte's plantation home against 50 of His Majesty's finest Dragoon horsemen?  Who wins?

England brings:

Any and all equipment a force of 50 Dragoons would have in the time of the American Revolution.

'Merica brings:

-M4s/M16s and M9s only, one DMR any kind.  Say 6 standard mags on each guy.

-No MGs, SAWs, frags, claymores, AT4s, mortars, close air support, etc.

-No radios or comms of any kind besides shouting at each other.

-No nvgs or thermals.

-No kevlar or sapi plates.

-Fire extinguishers

Can our troops defend the plantation and defeat all the cavalry?  Support your answer.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 7:53:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  
I support my answer with WW1 and the Boer War and god damned common sense.

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 7:56:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Can't sleep, watching The Patriot again.

What if 5 grunts are defending Aunt Charlotte's plantation home against 50 of His Majesty's finest Dragoon horsemen?  Who wins?

England brings:

Any and all equipment a force of 50 Dragoons would have in the time of the American Revolution.

'Merica brings:

-M4s/M16s and M9s only, one DMR any kind.  Say 6 standard mags on each guy.

-No MGs, SAWs, frags, claymores, AT4s, mortars, close air support, etc.

-No radios or comms of any kind besides shouting at each other.

-No nvgs or thermals.

-No kevlar or sapi plates.

-Fire extinguishers

Can our troops defend the plantation and defeat all the cavalry?  Support your answer.
View Quote

7s a combat load, you fail. Dragoons win.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 7:57:57 AM EDT
[#3]
US wins when the Brits stop for a "brew-up".
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 7:58:08 AM EDT
[#4]
5 grunts w/ 180 rounds of 5.56 each? (Not even counting pistol ammo)

vs.

50 guys with muskets or blunderbusses?

The grunts win. No question about it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:00:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Spaceman Spiff crashes on the plantation, pursued by a horde of vile Zorgs, who wipe out both the dragoons and the grunts in the ensuing violence.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:01:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Depends. After a cup of Earl Grey each Dragoon is worth 2 regular men
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:03:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spaceman Spiff crashes on the plantation, pursued by a horde of vile Zorgs, who wipe out both the dragons and the grunts in the ensuing violence.
View Quote

Man, I didn't even think about Spaceman Spiff

I'm going to go with this - it's just good common sense.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:04:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Even the shittiest shot could nail a horse @500m, walking cavalry aint too effective

They won't even get within musket range before they're all dead
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:05:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Even the shittiest shot could nail a horse @500m, walking cavalry aint too effective

View Quote

Just to be pedantic for a moment, dragoons aren't really cavalry.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:08:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I would assume that Aunt Charlotte's plantation home would offer some positions of cover… possibly even a rooftop position…
With that being the case I’d wager that as few as 2 maybe even 1 well trained modern rifleman could emerge victorious in the a battle with 50 18th century British Dragoons.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:08:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not sure there's even 100m of open space approaching Aunt Charlotte's plantation home.  Oh and it's nighttime.

Is it a close fight, or does technology and 240 years of refining warfare tear the redcoats asunder?
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:10:48 AM EDT
[#12]
You'd really only have to kill a few at what to them would seem to be inhumanly long range before the rest broke and ran.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:11:24 AM EDT
[#13]
The only advantage the dragoons have is mobility, although horses can also be surprisingly quiet in the bush (something the Rhodesians and Portuguese used to their advantage in modern Africa).  Given that mounted charges have in the 20th century routed troops possessing repeating rifles and machine guns, I would imagine that if the terrain allows for their movements to be masked until the dragoons are in close enough proximity that the dragoons might well have a chance.  If they have to advance a good distance in the open then they are almost certainly screwed.  If they fought dismounted, they would almost certainly lose as well.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You'd really only have to kill a few at what to them would seem to be inhumanly long range before the rest broke and ran.
View Quote

Depends on their appreciation of the relative force levels.  Drop a few of them beyond musket range, and they might just assume the plantation is defended by more than five people armed with rifles.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:14:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Need pictures of Aunt Charlotte to determine if she should be defended.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:16:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:17:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not sure there's even 100m of open space approaching Aunt Charlotte's plantation home.  Oh and it's nighttime.

Is it a close fight, or does technology and 240 years of refining warfare tear the redcoats asunder?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're changing the parameters of the problem.

Night time, no night vision, no armor, and no ability to utilize the range advantage?  Yeah, the chap in charge of the dragoons may just decide that whatever the initial importance of the plantation as an objective is meaningless given the apparent rate of fire of what the defenders are employing, restrict the bulk of his remaining men to containing the place, and send a couple chaps off to get a whole mess of friends to storm the place.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:18:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Night time, no night vision, no armor, and no ability to utilize the range advantage?  Yeah, the chap in charge of the dragoons may just decide that whatever the initial importance of the plantation as an objective is meaningless given the apparent rate of fire of what the defenders are employing, restrict the bulk of his remaining men to containing the place, and send a couple chaps off to get a whole mess of friends to storm the place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah my bad.  I was watching that scene where the Dragoons approach at night and the kid is on watch.  I should have specified.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yes.  

View Quote

Now what a damn minute! You guys here @ AR15.com says we can't use common sense, that it was last seen in the 80's.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Five drunken heavy sixes covered in cheetos dust and shame could win in the scenario you have designed.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:23:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
5 grunts w/ 180 rounds of 5.56 each? (Not even counting pistol ammo)

vs.

50 guys with muskets or blunderbusses?

The grunts win. No question about it.
View Quote

This.  Maximum effective range of muskets are like 100-200 yards and that's a stretch.  Modern rifles would pick them off at 400 yards till they run away.  This is no contest.

ETA: Even with added parameters, grunts still win.  After seeing full auto fire coming from the defenders position.  The dragoons haul ass out of there after taking some losses.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:23:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yes.  

View Quote

you obviously don't know what the hell you are talking about.
history is dumb and proves nothing.   50 well trained musketeers could fire 150 shots a minute. that's a lot of ~50 caliber shots at almost 1000 pfs!

compared to your pathetic little .223 bullets going twice as fast with each guy able to deliver a mere ~100 rounds per minute (of those tine bullets)

you, sir, are clearly out of your lane here.

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:24:28 AM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/lMdCNvm.jpg

Somethings (2) are worth defending
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I missed the reference to the plantation from The Patriot.  If they come up on the place suddenly like that they could very well overwhelm the defenders, provided that they are all outside.  If they are not, good luck to them trying to clear them out (then again, they could just fire the house).
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:30:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Five drunken heavy sixes covered in cheetos dust and shame could win in the scenario you have designed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait one fucking minute....

.... What about the dried sticky sheen of spilled mountain dew that has dried on my bare cheeto dust covered belly?
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#26]
5 grunts easily.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:52:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I missed the reference to the plantation from The Patriot.  If they come up on the place suddenly like that they could very well overwhelm the defenders, provided that they are all outside.  If they are not, good luck to them trying to clear them out (then again, they could just fire the house).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh, if the rate of fire of the defenders is discovered, I think firing the house is going to be right out.  I think the number of acceptable losses would go up (and the number of reinforcements requested,) as the desire to secure control of whatever the defenders were using would be quite high.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:58:28 AM EDT
[#28]
A full auto burst overhead and the dragoons hightail it the fuck out of there.

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:02:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Are the grunts allowed to draw cocks on the walls of the plantation shithouse? if  yes- Morale is high, grunts win.  If no - E=4 Mafia sits this one out, Dragoons draw 18th century grafitti on shithouse walls
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:02:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Not a proper T/E for the American Infantry.

If there are four, there would be a SAW and M203 and NVG/IR lasers all around.

Make it a WWII fire team, if you want them neutered.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:05:57 AM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/lMdCNvm.jpg

Nice! I'd defend the shit out of her!
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Spaceman Spiff crashes on the plantation, pursued by a horde of vile Zorgs, who wipe out both the dragoons and the grunts in the ensuing violence.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Unless the dragoons have artillery, they all die. Defenders take zero casualties.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Army wouldn't even use half of their ammo.

Do the Brits know what they are up against, and adjust their tactics, or just swoop in and get ground up like hamburger?
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Not a proper T/E for the American Infantry.

If there are four, there would be a SAW and M203 and NVG/IR lasers all around.

Make it a WWII fire team, if you want them neutered.  
View Quote

Yeah, I'm going with the guys who fought and killed the Japs at night.

Again, all dragoons dead and zero friendly casualties.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#36]
How about one guy with an ar15 and 8 mags?

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#37]
The local Pub wins!
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe your standard 3 gunner that shoots better than mil/le could do it by himself.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:36:24 AM EDT
[#39]
But what are the rules of engagement?  
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#40]
I did not see any time limit in OP's engagement parameters for this.

After initial contact could the Dragoons regroup then........

Surround and starve them out.

Dig narrow trenches till close range then toss fire on structure.

Adapt to siege tactics utilizing nearby timber for source material.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:42:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
But what are the rules of engagement?  
View Quote

England: Destroy the house, kill all occupants with extreme prejudice.

'Merica: Destroy enemy combatants with extreme prejudice.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:43:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gimme 8 surefire 60's and I'll do it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:44:12 AM EDT
[#43]
season 1 episode 3 of Revolution featured one bolt action dmr with a bag of ammo devastating a musket militia group
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Dragoons win, the grunts are stuck in a SHARP class.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote

This.  Plus with the volume of fire, they'd think there was a battalion guarding the house, not five guys.

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Fire extinguisher to create a smoke screen and run like hell cuz I don't know what round can take down horses and pierce the sabers
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Unless the dragoons have artillery, they all die. Defenders take zero casualties.
View Quote

Even then, not necessarily.  Field Artillery tactics and technology started changing drastically once modern rifles came about, because rifleman could often engage artillery crews at the gun's effective range, especially for a point target and a light gun.  But that process really got going over a hundred years later.  

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#48]
If the grunts are on their toes and engage His Majesty's Dragoons before they reach the house, no problem, turkey shoot.

If they are sampling the wine cellar and get surprised, all bets are off.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 10:11:15 AM EDT
[#49]
A more interesting discussion would be the reverse. 50 dug in soldiers armed with muskets vs a small group of modern equipped soldiers(just M4s) attacking.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#50]
More interesting question...

Could those same 5 grunts with the same load out have changed the outcome of the Battle of the Alamo?

Assuming they were fighting alongside the existing defenders.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top