Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 12/29/2015 10:00:37 AM EDT
Police in California can seize guns without prior notice starting Jan. 1

Family members who believe a loved one poses a danger to themselves or others will be able to ask police to seek a temporary “gun violence” restraining order from a judge beginning Jan. 1. The order would allow police to seize the person’s guns for 21 days.

Under the new law, a restraining order could be issued without prior knowledge of the person. In other words, a judge could issue the order without ever hearing from the person in question, if there are reasonable grounds to believe the person is a threat based on accounts from the family and police.

After three weeks, the person can challenge the judge’s decision.
View Quote

So on the word of a family member you can't get your guns taken away then in three weeks have to go to court to prove your innocence to get them back, I could have sworn in the US a person is presumed innocent until proven guilty according to the law.

Seems to me the issuing judge is the one that needs to go to court and prove the person stripped of their rights was guilty not the other way around.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Fucking bullshit!
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#2]
...another reason to hate that State.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh boy, here we go.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:06:20 AM EDT
[#5]
When Dear Lord?  When, oh when, is the San Andreas going to let go?
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Police in California can seize guns without prior notice starting Jan. 1

Family members who believe a loved one poses a danger to themselves or others will be able to ask police to seek a temporary “gun violence” restraining order from a judge beginning Jan. 1. The order would allow police to seize the person’s guns for 21 days.

Under the new law, a restraining order could be issued without prior knowledge of the person. In other words, a judge could issue the order without ever hearing from the person in question, if there are reasonable grounds to believe the person is a threat based on accounts from the family and police.

After three weeks, the person can challenge the judge’s decision.
View Quote

So on the word of a family member you can't get your guns taken away then in three weeks have to go to court to prove your innocence to get them back, I could have sworn in the US a person is presumed innocent until proven guilty according to the law.

Seems to me the issuing judge is the one that needs to go to court and prove the person stripped of their rights was guilty not the other way around.
View Quote

Or if I want to rob you safely, I can just report you and then invade your home at my leisure.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Uhh yeah.  They took an oath.  No way would cops violate a constitutional amendment.  Highway to the tinfoil zone.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Time to hide guns from the family.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:26:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#10]
21 days? More like you are never getting it back.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:32:04 AM EDT
[#11]
No due process. What do we call people that take other peoples' property from them without due process? Thieves.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#13]
another reason to squirrel a few guns and ammo away..... somewhere hard to find... like oh, say.. in some pvc pipe?

" in before if you gotta bury them, its time to use them crowd"..... who says you cant bury them AND still use them? you dont have a shovel?
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Not without games.  They would regulate it down to only a few hours of a few days of a month when a special appointment would allow you to get your gun back, without mags or ammo.  

Two is one.......  Definitely time to have a gun stash.  Keep one at a friends safe, one in a safe deposit box, one in a zip lock in the trunk, hidden furniture compartment, cookie jar,  etc..........

CA already has a special gun gestapo.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Where's Lex Luthor when you need him?
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#16]
CoC prevents my reply.

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I know for a fact my ex wife would have used that just to fuck with my life when we were getting divorced.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
CoC prevents my reply.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm pretty much at a loss to say anything about this that wouldn't get me locked, banned, or possibly arrested.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:06:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I know for a fact my ex wife would have used that just to fuck with my life when we were getting divorced.
View Quote

id say approx 50% of divorces definately would end just like that..
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:07:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Just as bad as the family violence law with regards to firearms.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Fear not.
The Federal judiciary will zealously guard our rights.
They will never allow such a travesty to stand!
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Can this law be fought and struck down in this day and age? Personally, I don't think it can.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:08:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#24]
CA gun owners need to flee the state. Sadly, most won't until they hear the truck tailgates banging, and by then it's too late.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:12:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Fear not.
The Federal judiciary will zealously guard our rights.
They will never allow such a travesty to stand!
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:13:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
When Dear Lord?  When, oh when, is the San Andreas going to let go?
View Quote

With the luck we've been having, everything east of the San Andreas is probably going to crash into the ocean and they'll be the only ones left .
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We would live in a great country if all the police enforced the provisions in the BORs as strenuously as they do drug and gun laws.
View Quote

What's your theory on why they don't?
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#28]
This will not be abused at all.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Where's Lex Luthor when you need him?
View Quote

He's sitting in the governor's mansion
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:16:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Federal preemption, federal preemption, federal preemption.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:16:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She tried to get my guns in the divorce!  I "sold" them to my buddy to save them.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:17:49 AM EDT
[#32]
What a depressing state to live in.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:22:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:23:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Hmm ex husband wants to kill ex wife and family, they own guns he calls police says he feels they are endangered by them having guns, they lose guns, ex husband goes and kills family. This is just one great outcomes of this bullshit. How do they prove it's family? Say a home invader wants to target some homes, knows guns are there could they have them removed before home invasion spree?
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:23:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Seriously though, you don't get to arrest people when you protect their rights. That is why.
View Quote

Nor does it generate revenue.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Slouching toward a totalitarian communist police state one law at a time.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
...another reason to hate that State.
View Quote

Says the one who won't post his own state.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote

This.

You'll probably have to go get a sign off by a licensed psychiatrist (who probably won't do it, out of fear of being wrong) or something like that, before the judge gives them back.  No doubt, there'll be guns that end up missing or damaged...

Also, how will they find all your guns?  What will be the "confiscation procedure?"  Polite, afternoon request by one or two cops...OR....a full on midnight raid with the armored Humvees and SWAT teams?  How thoroughly will they search the house?

How well do you have to know someone in order to call police and tell them that the person is unstable and needs to de-armed?  What if I see a muslim in full garb, acting weird and mumbling something about snackbars?  Can I call police on that person?

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:35:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Day 22.

"Sorry, the property room officer is on extended leave.  We don't know what he did with his key."
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:35:35 AM EDT
[#42]
They legislated the shit of some safety "feels" on this one
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:37:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We would live in a great country if all the police enforced the provisions in the BORs as strenuously as they do drug and gun laws.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GXE_n2q08Yw]]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GXE_n2q08Yw
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.  And then, they would use the fact that your house got "raided by the cops" for having a "massive arsenal" - against you in the family court.  

Her attorney:  "Clearly your honor, the father should not be allowed to have any custody of the children.  He was recently raided by the swat teams for having numerous high-powered, deadly, black assault-rifles, and tons of ammo.  We don't know what he was plotting.  We propose supervised visitation, once he's been deemed mentally stable by at least 3 court-appointed therapists."

You:  "But, but, but....SHE called the cops on me to make me look bad - I didn't do anything wrong!!!"

Judge:  "The court finds the spouses request reasonable.  The mother hereby is granted full custody of the children, and has full control of any visitation.  The father will pay 30% of his gross income in child support and spousal maintenance until further notice."

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:45:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What a depressing state to live in.
View Quote

Says another who won't own up to his own state. Complete bullshit. Probably has to have his car inspected by the government for "safety" every year or has to get government permission to obtain a "license" to exercise one or more of his rights.

Ahhh but it's easy to claim you live in a "free state" when you don't post it; that way others can't note the hypocrisy. There should be a rule that says if you criticize another's state you must post your own.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
CA gun owners need to flee the state. Sadly, most won't until they hear the truck tailgates banging, and by then it's too late.
View Quote

Thanks for your concern, but what we really need is full incorporation of the Second Amendment so we can beat the crap down in court.  In the meantime we will fight with what we have.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#47]
This article says Texas has the same law and CA used it as a precedent to pass theirs. Indiana also had a similar law that withstood a court challenge.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/Texas-clarifies-mental-crisis-guns-policy-4908331.php
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Just wait until that family member becomes someone who just doesn't like you.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#49]
I wonder how fans of this policy would feel about the state seizing their children without notice based on an unsubstantiated claim.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 12:02:21 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Yep, CT has had a law like that for years. CA is just playing catch up.
View Quote
There's some worse gun states than CA. Like NY, NJ and now CT

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top