Page / 7
Posted: 12/27/2015 1:15:47 PM EDT

I got hit with a pretty big fuck you from my health insurance company during
open enrollment last month. My out of pocket max for the year went up from
$4,000 to $12,000. My premium went from $410 month for a family of three to
$750 month. We now have a $75 co-pay on office visits and that is up from
$25. Our coverage is the same, I think. I don't see how we are going to
afford this new fuck you with our special needs son. It looks like 100% of
my take home pay, after cost of living expenses is fucking gone.

Total cost for our health care will be $1,812.50 per month not including
office visits. Fuck me sideways. I do not see how anyone can afford an extra
$2,000 a month just for healthcare. This situation is as fucked as fucked
can get. Now, if I decide to do without health insurance, I cannot afford to
pay out of pocket for my son's healthcare needs, and the IRS will just tax
me the penalty for not having health insurance. It is a fucked if you do
fucked if you don't ass raping.

This Obamacare scam cannot continue. Once single payer takes over, health
care will take a straight up nosedive in quality and availability. When does
the shooting start?

Is anyone getting bent over as bad as this?

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#1]
While I am not getting bent over the barrel I do know a few that are.  My mother is paying about $8K a year for just her.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:23:07 PM EDT
[#2]
It's shit like this that's another reason we never had any kids. The nation is lost and I'm running as light as possible to the end.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Deductible up, rates up, 2 hospitals rule this part of the state, one is no longer available.  All hale the new healthcare!
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn.  You did get hit hard.

My plan through my employer only went up like 7% this year (36% last year).

It's not working and it's got to be fixed.   For the handful that it is helping, 2x as many are probably in your position.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:25:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I was paying $600 a month with a $3000 deductible for my wife and I (no prescriptions/dental/eyecare just doctors visits and hospital visits) until obamacare changed that to $950 a month and $10,000 deductible. I couldn't afford it so I paid the $700 irs "fair share" penalty. This year my penalty is supposed to go up. Yah me!
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's shit like this that's another reason we never had any kids. The nation is lost and I'm running as light as possible to the end.
View Quote

... Me too
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I got bent over about two years ago..
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#8]
There may still be state programs that will cover your healthcare in the event of your becoming ill. It might be worth it to do some research, find out who pays for what and how much, then just pay the penalty to the IRS.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#9]
OP what plan are you on, bronze, silver, gold or platinum. Just curious, and at $1800/mo sounds like platinum. That price might be gold now since rates have increased

We were on Obamacare for a bit, and all the plans sucked
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#10]
The only way to win is to not play the game. [be employed]

That is the absolute truth.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:28:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you have any other insurance  options?
Do you have enough time or deployments in with the .mil to qualify for one of the Tricare versions?
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:30:02 PM EDT
[#12]
This is small beans compared to you OP, but it's the same principle. Two years ago my 99 year old mom paid $4 a month for secondary RX insurance. Now, it's $25.10.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was paying $600 a month with a $3000 deductible for my wife and I (no prescriptions/dental/eyecare just doctors visits and hospital visits) until obamacare changed that to $950 a month and $10,000 deductible. I couldn't afford it so I paid the $700 irs "fair share" penalty. This year my penalty is supposed to go up. Yah me!
View Quote

Ironic user name unfortunately.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:33:06 PM EDT
[#15]
14K/year for family coverage. Doubled over the last 7 years and coverage has gotten horrible. Wife had gall bladder out December 4 and everything resets Jan 1. She needs foot surgery so double the bill when that gets done. Our Representatives really need to be taken out back and flogged for hours. Then thrown in salt water.

Fuck em all.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#16]

It's happening to everyone, OP.  My turn is this time around.   Others will see it in the near future, if not hit already.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:35:25 PM EDT
[#17]
You got screwed big time, I hoped you enjoyed it.
I had no increase, wouldn't surprise me if we get killed next year.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP what plan are you on, bronze, silver, gold or platinum. Just curious, and at $1800/mo sounds like platinum. That price might be gold now since rates have increased

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I was adding up the total out of pocket plus monthly premium. My premium is now $750 a month. We usually hit our max out of pocket in May or June. I think it would be a silver level plan, not really sure. It is just the plan that covers what we need for our son and my wife. I can get seen at the VA since I am 70% disabled, but I have not heard good things about the VA ion my area and I avoid it at all costs.

Quoted:
Do you have any other insurance  options?
Do you have enough time or deployments in with the .mil to qualify for one of the Tricare versions?

I served 22 years Army Reserves, 10 of that was active if I add up my first three years active duty and my deployments over the last 15 years. I retired from the Army Reserves last year, so I cannot enroll in Tri-Care until I am 60, just another 18.5 years to go. I could quit work and go on welfare I guess.

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

the shooting start?

View Quote

well what did you expect? did you expect to not have to pay for all that privilege you've been enjoying over the years............? You're complaining about a leveling of the field?

You must be one of those greedy A-holes............Obama says you need to be knocked down  peg or two. It's not like he didn't warn everyone.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Maybe find a new job? The hospital my wife works at pays all of her insurance and my policy through my employer costs me around 200 a month for myself and two kids.

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It's happening to everyone, OP.  My turn is this time around.   Others will see it in the near future, if not hit already.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Our policy with Assurant health through USAA got cancelled as Assurant was purchased by one of the big companies (United Health Care I think). first thing they did is cancel all the single payer policies. I was able to add my wife to a policy I get through work but it is not cheap, the best option for now. I fucking hate everyone of these pricks in DC. Dems and Repubs, not one of them doing a damn thing to fix it while they get a tax payer funded Cadillac policy. Fuck them all. And they wonder why people are sick of their shit and supporting Trump.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The only way to win is to not play the game. [be employed]

That is the absolute truth.
View Quote

Truth right here.

My cousin has 2 kids by a prison dweller and she is a beautician that does nails. Probably brings in 20k per year. Gets housing assistance, heating assistance, electrical, ebt, and federal medical assistance. Lives very well and kids have no needs.

She used to get a 10k tax return every year. Paid in under $100 for the year in federal tax.

Makes me feel real good working 2 jobs.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

... Me too
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

... Me too

ditto
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's not working and it's got to be fixed.   For the handful that it is helping, 2x as many are probably in your position.
View Quote

It was never meant to work for us.  It was meant to collapse the system and have total government control of the health care rationing system.  Most of us AREN'T meant to be able to receive the same level of health care and insurance coverage we were once accustomed to, when this was still a great and good country.  Especially if you aren't of the right political affiliation, or right sort of job.  The pie is only so big, and is clearly incapable of ever growing any bigger.  So it must be rationed.   And some of you, or your loved ones will have to die unnecessarily early and perhaps painful deaths.  It is for the good of the ruling elite in the land.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is the reason I'm going to have as many kids as I can. Need some extra hands for my crew served weapons.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I used to have a $500 deductible and $160 per month and I could go to any doctor or hospital.  Now it's $7500 deductible, $345 a month and  
have to be in network.

I rarely go to the doctor.  I take no meds.  So when I do, nothing is covered because of the deductible.   In fact, I get nothing for paying more.  In fact, I and millions of others have lost the excellent  healthcare we once had.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Maybe find a new job? The hospital my wife works at pays all of her insurance and my policy through my employer costs me around 200 a month for myself and two kids.

View Quote

I work at a hospital too, and I am going to start looking for a new job that does this same thing. Not going to hold my breath though.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:44:58 PM EDT
[#29]
1,800 a month? wow you lucked out. We got stuck with 3000+ a month I have no idea how we are gonna pay it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Send mail to your reps with the hard numbers.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
1,800 a month? wow you lucked out. We got stuck with 3000+ a month I have no idea how we are gonna pay it.
View Quote

Premium is $750 a month. I just added the max out of pocket for the year of $12,000.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:47:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just as an FYI, the IRS's collection abilities with regard to the "shared responsibility payment" are very limited.  No levies, no liens.  Up in the air whether they can sue.  But generally, they are limited to collecting it from any refund you may be owed.  So manage your taxes such that you aren't owed a refund, and they will never be able to collect the shared responsibility payment should you choose not to pay it.*

* note that this is not to be relied on as legal, tax or financial advice.  Every situation is different, and you should consult your own professional service provider.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#33]
$750 per month for just one.  Basic package.

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm up to 6k out of pocket and just found out that they cover 90%, not 100% of hospital fees
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#35]
OP's on the hook for a possible $33,750?

that's not insurance, that's extortion.

oh, 13500, still a good lick.

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:49:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's so those without insurance can continue to get free shit.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:50:01 PM EDT
[#37]
My employer just announced last month that our premiums will jump 21% so are searching for a lower cost option.  Still,  I pay $402 per month for family coverage,  $4k defucktible. We don't use the deductible in a year.  No Co-pay for scripts.  Shit had to change for sure.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

oh, 13500, still a good lick.

View Quote

Yep. Legalized gangster shit. Pay us or else.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:53:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Try comparing it to tricare retired reserve.  It has a higher monthly premium but may have a lower deductable and co-pay depending on your situation.
http://www.tricare.mil/Plans/HealthPlans/TRR.aspx

Or best thing to do would be to find a job that offers paid health insurance or even a group plan with lower rates.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:54:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Part of the social engineering by the left.  people on welfare get all that for free.  Working people are forced to pay a lot for each child.  Working people decide they can't afford kids.  welfare recipients breed unchecked.  And what is the result?  There is part of that 'fundamental change' that obama promised.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It was never meant to work for us.  It was meant to collapse the system and have total government control of the health care rationing system.  Most of us AREN'T meant to be able to receive the same level of health care and insurance coverage we were once accustomed to, when this was still a great and good country.  Especially if you aren't of the right political affiliation, or right sort of job.  The pie is only so big, and is clearly incapable of ever growing any bigger.  So it must be rationed.   And some of you, or your loved ones will have to die unnecessarily early and perhaps painful deaths.  It is for the good of the ruling elite in the land.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.  Truth.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 2:03:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Truth right here.

My cousin has 2 kids by a prison dweller and she is a beautician that does nails. Probably brings in 20k per year. Gets housing assistance, heating assistance, electrical, ebt, and federal medical assistance. Lives very well and kids have no needs.

She used to get a 10k tax return every year. Paid in under $100 for the year in federal tax.

View Quote

That right there burns my fucking ass.

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Don't play their game:

Liberty Health Share

This Dr. is very knowledgeable, teaches you how to go outside the system and get the same or better healthcare.

DR Elaina George

Hope this helps. Good luck , thats alot of cheddar to be paying out.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

the shooting start?

View Quote

My out of pocket max for the year went up from  $4,000 to $12,000. My premium went from $410 month for a family of three to $750 month.

Unpossible, now what are you going to spend your average $2500 year savings on?

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#46]
It's going to get to the point where no one goes to the doc unless life or death situation.

At that point, the health system won't be making the cash they are making currently.  And the .gov will be bitching the system is not supplying the needs of the "poor", because working folks will not be paying in enough.

Expect uncle sam to step in with the "answer", which will be neither the answer, or the direction that is good for anyone who actually works and is responsible for themselves.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 2:21:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

My out of pocket max for the year went up from  $4,000 to $12,000. My premium went from $410 month for a family of three to $750 month.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the shooting start?

Your employer isn't paying anything toward your health insurance anymore, that's the scam they wont tell you. You are paying all the premiums and on top of that, unless you have a severe health issue, your insurance provider isn't paying for anything either. They have it figured out as far as the average yearly payout and set the out of pocket amount just above that. You are paying for literally NOTHING unless you come down with cancer or something else that will require many trips to the hospital or Dr. Even then, the co-pays will cover a lot more of that cost  then they will ever tell you.

It's just like car insurance, since you legally HAVE to have it, there isn't that much competition to drop the costs down on drivers that fall into low risk classes and can show excellent driving records.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I work at a hospital too, and I am going to start looking for a new job that does this same thing. Not going to hold my breath though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah your monthly insurance payment is slightly more than the mortgage payment on my 2600 sq ft brick home that we built three years ago.

No way I would do that.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the shooting start?

I know right!

Just think how bad I would be screwed if Obamacare didn't save me from those ridiculously high premiums and max out of pocket deductibles.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Sounds like everything is going according to plan.....

BTW were are a married couple with no kids (in part due to our knowing what the future holds) and have been relatively isolated from this mess due to our HSA, but we've been warned that we should expect to start seeing increases this coming year. We've also had the ability to negotiate fees by paying cash, usually resulting in significantly reduced bills often less than half had we used insurance.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top