Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/17/2003 8:52:35 PM EDT
First let me say that I don't believe in Ghosts. I believe, as is written in the bible, that immediately after your death your soul is kept in waiting (either in paradise or Gehenna) until the day of judgement, and until then there is no contact between where you're at and this world. (Luke 16:26) "And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence."

That being said, I have a story of my own. My brother and I were driving home one day in broad daylight, though it was foggy and raining. We were coming towards a stoplight on a four-lane highway and just as we reached the intersection an old lady stepped over the center median and in front of my car. My brother yelled "Watch out!" I slammed on my brakes, convinced an impact was inevitable. Stunningly it appeared as if we drove RIGHT THROUGH HER. We got out and looked around but didn't see anyone on or anywhere near the road; just other cars. We couldn't believe it. We agreed that both of us couldn't have imagined her. To this day he believes it was the ghost of an old woman, while I choose to believe it was just one of those things that can't be explained.

Like I said, I don't believe in ghosts but I love ghost stories. Anyone have one of their own?
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 8:57:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Never seen a ghost but I've met so many people who have, and the stories are so similar, I definitely believe in their existence.
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#2]
You weren't coming home from a bar, were you?
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes. I've "heard" and "felt" things. By "felt" things  I mean I've had that little alarm bell go off in my head that screams something is here and it's not right. My dad claims I'm widly paranoid.

Anyway, people in my family, whom I trust, have seen stuff.

In our house in Buffalo: My dad is making breakfast on a Sunday morning. I'm just a wee little Spade, so I'm in my room doing wee little Spade things. My mom is fixing up my older sister for church in the upstairs bathroom.
Well, my dad is cooking, and older sister, Laura, walks by him. He turns and asks "Laura, what do you want for breakfast." She giggles and goes running out of the room. This annoys my father, so he followes her through the French doors into one of the front rooms, that only has the one door (but once did not). Laura is nowhere to be found, apparently hiding from dad. My dad is now infuriated, and does not want to deal with such nonsense. So he yells up to my mother to come down and deal with her daughter. My mother informs my dad that Laura never left the upstairs.
This was also the room my mom's desk was in. She could never work after dark because she felt somebody looking over her shoulder.

Also, in my grandparents house, which is 200 years old and the oldest house in the Valley, well, you get chills. I still don't linger in the front rooms (the "old" part of the house) after dark. Also, the piano every long once in a while plays by itself and an ashtray once jumped at my mom and aunt. My mom's cousin, who weird stuff constantly happens to much to his great annoyance and fright, won't enter the house without a Bible, and will not spend the night.

I have lots of weird stories, but Cowboy Bebop is on.
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#5]
about two weeks ago my wife and I were in the living room.. my wife had fallen asleep on the couch and I was watching TV...
some time around 3 am I hear " pst.. go look" in a faint but very clear voice.. I mute the tv and ask my wife what she said but she was still asleep. then again in a faint but very clear voice "psst.. go look"  
I go into my 5 years olds room just as she is rolling off the bed. I strech my arms out just in time and I give her a kiss and put her back in bed..
She wakes up and asks me to tell " Mario " good night.. and goes back to sleep.

I dont get scared anymore because ever since she has been able to talk she has mentioned this " Mario " .. seems Mario is looking out for my little girl.
she has never blamed any thing on him so we ruled out "imaginary friend" a long time ago.

Some times when family members kids spend the night they mention "Mario" in some way a couple of days latter. < example: we throw a party and people spend : cause thats just the way the partys go [:)] : the night their kids at some point mention "Mario" doing something or stopping them from falling while playing and running around. >
They never dwell on it.. just a simple "Mario is nice" Mario is Quiet"  And usually " WHO IS mARIO?

We have moved a couple times and it still happens.

I dont really now what to make of it.

Cluster
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I dont get scared anymore because ever since she has been able to talk she has mentioned this " Mario " .. seems Mario is looking out for my little girl.
she has never blamed any thing on him so we ruled out "imaginary friend" a long time ago.

Cluster
View Quote

Guardian angel of some sort or another, yo.

Link Posted: 4/17/2003 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah-one time on AR-15.com, somebody posted a link that took you to a house or something-and nothing happened. . . . but then all of a sudden, a ghost-face screamed across the screen!!!  Scared the SHIT out of my son and I!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#8]
When I was 9 my great uncle blew his head off with a 12 ga.

The night that it happened I remember vividly.  I went to bed, fell asleep and began dreamng that my mother was angry because I would not go to sleep and in my dream she kept saying, "I'm going to tell Uncle Vernon you won't go to sleep and he will be very angry"  Then the feeling like being hit in the head with a down pillow woke me up screaming.  My mom and dad rushed in and I told them about it, they said it was "just a bad dream".  Before my mom went back to bed the phone rang, it was her cousin calling to tell her his dad just killed himself.  And to call her dad(his brother).  

When I was 17 I came home from school sat at the table with a box of wheaties and a gallon jug of milk like I always did after school and before dinner.  I heard the phone ring, impulsivly I blurted to my sister, who was standing next to my mom at the stove, "Sis, Shannon is on the phone for you."  Now I had not picked up the phone but heard it ring and have no idea why I said this.  They both looked at me like I was a nut.  A minute later the phone rang, I answered.  It was my cousin Shannon calling for my sister.

The night my mother died I was spending at my grandparents, I was 19.  I had terrible dreams all night long and knew what had happened before anyone had told me.  

Sometimes when I go to bed I feel somebody near me.  Like when you were little and your mom tucked you in.  Usually when I have had a real rough time with something emotional.
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 9:58:51 PM EDT
[#9]

[blue]When I was about 10, my 9 year old brother and I were "taunting the spirits" in our bedroom by swinging a hanging lamp in a circular fashion and chanting "there is no devil" and "evil can't hurt us" etc. etc. (Don't ask, kids have wild imaginations.)

After what seemed like forever of this craziness (about a half an hour) the lamp was losing momentum once again and as I reached up to swing it again (still a good foot or so away) it made a wild, IMPOSSIBLE, arc into the wall and shattered!

Terrified and screaming we got the heck out of there and slept on the couch downstairs! Both with slightly damp shorts!

Over the next 10 - 15 years we tried to rationalize it and/or explain it away but we can't. It was the single weirdest event in my life. . .[/blue]

Link Posted: 4/17/2003 10:06:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
First let me say that I don't believe in Ghosts. I believe, as is written in the bible, that immediately after your death your soul is kept in waiting (either in paradise or Gehenna) until the day of judgement, and until then there is no contact between where you're at and this world. (Luke 16:26) "And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence."
View Quote
this, however, doesn't rule out ghosts.  just ghosts as we commonly define them (spirits of dead people and/or animals).  there is still quite a lot of room for angels (whether fallen angels (aka, demons) or angels of light) to fill a lot of the roles people identify with "ghosts."
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I was eight when one of my grandfathers died. To this day my mother insists he came and sat at her bedside one night not long afterward to say goodbye.
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yeah-one time on AR-15.com, somebody posted a link that took you to a house or something-and nothing happened. . . . but then all of a sudden, a ghost-face screamed across the screen!!!  Scared the SHIT out of my son and I!!!!!!!!!
View Quote

LMAO
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 10:18:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 10:20:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't have threads like this when it's late at night and I'm alone for the weekend.  

I'm scared cause ghosts can't be taken out by my evil black rifle.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 10:25:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Don't have threads like this when it's late at night and I'm alone for the weekend.  

I'm scared cause ghosts can't be taken out by my evil black rifle.  
View Quote
it can if you use +2 bullets.  +1 bullets won't work, and neither will silver.  but +2 bullets will, and so will +1 silver bullets.  but only if your rifle is black.  if it's purple, camo, or some other color, it requires either +3 bullets or +2 silver bullets.
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 10:28:59 PM EDT
[#16]
"Karl Malone say ghosts may be scary, but they don't bite!!"
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#18]
The summer after my 8th grade year, my mom's family decided to have a family get-together.  My grandfather had died the previous September and the family had not all been together since then.  We went to get my grandmother and she told my mom and aunt that she talked to George that night.  My mom (the youngest of 8 children) had a brother named George that drowned when my mom was 5 years old or so.  My grandmother had brain cancer and often talked about stuff that made no sense at all.  My mom and aunt both didn't think anything of it.  My grandmother said that George wanted her to come visit him, and she kept trying to go see him but never could make it.  She said she would walk a little ways toward him, and he would move further away.  My mom and aunt continued to help my grandmother get dressed while she talked about "going to see George".

After they helped her get dressed, we started to leave her house and we were walking out to the car.  My mom and aunt were both helping my grandmother walk down the sidewalk, while my dad locked the house.  About halfway to the car, my grandmother collapsed onto the sidewalk.  My mom and aunt both thought she had tripped and fell.  My dad wasn't too far behind them, and when he saw her falling he ran up and caught her and helped her to the ground.  They were asking her if she was OK and noticed she had stopped breathing.  My dad started CPR and my aunt ran in to call the paramedics.  The paramedics arrived and took her to the hospital where she lived about another hour.

I have never seen a ghost, but after hearing what my grandmother was saying, I do believe that we have some type of contact with something in another realm.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 10:37:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Beekeeper,
What you speak of is more likely one of the 5 other senses that you do not know is so developed.  There have been studies about this also.  It seems that we sometimes detect animals and such while hunting with a sixth sense.

As crazy as it sounds humans have keen senses of smell, sight and pretty good hearing.  We rarely use any of these to the fullest potential.  Largely we ignore the plethora of sounds, sights, and smells we encounter because if we automatically did not we would go into an overload of sorts.  

It is theorized that these occurances arise when our subconscious mind detects a primal stimulus that we ignore 99.9999% of the time.  You probably smelled or even seen the oppossum but didn't know it or didn't recognize it but the predatory nature of your subconscious did.  I have had this happen to me often.  There are also aural and visual stimuli that we normally ignore but when hunting they are tapped unconsciously.  Tell me you have never knew a deer was standing in a thicket and 20 minutes later it steps out?  You thought you saw nothing but there most likely was a visual que that you normally ignore but your instinctual predatory subconscious didn't.  Ever feel a deer behind your stand?  Truth is you probably heard it but the sound was so faint your conscious mind passed it off as background noise but the predator that lies in all of us has learned over eons to decipher the sounds of a 4 legged animal.  Even when we think we can't hear it.  I do believe that there is also some type of 6th sense that everyone has but I believe it declines rapidly after childhood.
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 10:42:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Watch a dog or cat, they always seem to be "looking" or "listening" to something.  Even when they are sleeping or it seems tere is nothing to hear or see.  They use their senses to the fullest potential.  Deer are the same way.  Granted they have greater sensitivity and range but imagine if we were to actually give thought to everything we encounter with our senses!  Watch a cats ears twitch even while they nap.  I read a bunch of this stuff when I was in college at the school library.  Just used to look up stuff for entertainment to pass the time once in a while.   It is theorized that animals, humans included, become oriented to sensual stimuli that is broken down into different queus.  For instance there was an experiment and it showed a chicken will hide when the shape of a raptor(long tail short head and wide wings) is shadowed traveling overhead but the same shape moved in the opposite direction resembles that of a long necked harmless migratory bird like a duck or goose and the chicken ignores it.  It is these that govern the action, or rather, reactions in animals.  I have seen deer spook at a squirrel in a tree and seen them walk right up to me while eating a chocolate bar.  I wish I could remember the references because it was really complicated biology stuff.  

Edited to add that it seems that hunters usually have an easier time haphazzardly wandering upon deer in the woods but when we realy sneak around looking for them it gets a lot tougher.  Like you walk up on that big buck while headed back to the truck in turkey season!  It is because we do not present the stimuli that they react upon as strongly.  Slow deliberate movement(stalking) is that of a predator.  Aimless and haphazzard travel is that of a grazing animal, non threatening.  See?  My buddy is a bio major I'll ask if he knows what we are talking about and see if I can get some reference material.
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 11:00:57 PM EDT
[#22]
BeeKeeper, I had that sensation, that intuition that insisted "LOOK OVER HERE" when I saw a UFO.

My sister and I were driving west though the Mojave desert on I-40 between the Arizona border and Barstow.  It was midnight, and I was just riding in the passenger's seat when got this thought "LOOK NORTH".

Looked out the window on my left at a dark mountain range for a couple seconds. Then a bright steady red light rose up over the range and hovered there.  The ridge was at least 10 miles away.  I pointed it out to my sister, because it was weird. Then it went from a dead stop to across the horizon in less than 2 seconds.  Nothing could move like that, it was unbelievable.  My sister saw it too. Might have never noticed it if I hadn't gotten that...impulse.
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 11:04:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I believe in aliens and UFO's but I think the majority of UFO's in the SW United States are classified black projects.  Now where this amazing technology originates is another story[(:|)]
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 11:10:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Raven,

Last fall I was scouting a deer stand in this huge hollow.  The canopy was pretty open so I could see the sky well.  Now we all know the sound of an object moving through the air.  Usually we see it when it happens.  Well something moved up through that hollow at immense velocity.  What ever it was it was big also.  It reminded me of the sound a glider makes, swiishhshshshss.  But this was more like the air was being ripped.  I heard it and immediatly thought a small plane lost power and was crashing.  I looked and nothing but I could hear it and tracked it's location as it moved up the hollow but there was nothing to be seen.  I got the fuck out of their and I will not go back.
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 11:51:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Treetop - me neither
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 12:04:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 1:45:20 AM EDT
[#28]

Back in my junior year of college, I used a ouiji board with my g/f at the time, her roommate and the roommate's b/f.  I was skeptical about the whole thing since I'd never used one before.  The g/f's roommate was the focus for the whole thing since she was more "into" it than the rest of us.  As a side note, this was in a pretty well-heated dorm room.  About 10 minutes into the session, the temperature in the room dropped a lot.  I sensed it dropped about 20 degrees or so.  The girl who was the focus got so cold that we had to put a blanket on her and when she spoke, her breath was visible from the cold.  It was like something out of "The Sixth Sense" but years before the movie was made.  We continued the session, said the proper goodbyes to the "spirits" or whatever and put it away.  I haven't used a ouiji board since then and have no desire to.

Link Posted: 4/18/2003 2:26:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This one time, at band camp . . .
View Quote

[lol] [lolabove]
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 2:29:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Me, after 6 months on midnight shift
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 3:27:07 AM EDT
[#31]
The Frogmore Light, on Frogmore Island, right outside of Beaufort, S.C. Scared the piss outa
me and some friends, still don't like to talk about it to this day.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 3:28:02 AM EDT
[#32]
When I was younger I had a couple experiences that went like this.

I'd be sleeping, and then it would feel like someone was sitting on top of me holding me down, with a hand clamped tighthly over my mouth.  I'd struggle, but wasn't physically strong enough to make a difference.  With some effort I'd finally be able to speak the name "Jesus" and whatever it was would disappear.  

There's authority & power in the Name.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 4:16:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Back when I was in high school, a freind and I borrowed a ouija board from one of his neighbors.  We played around with it for a while and decided to walk it back to his neighbors house.  On the way we walked past a parked car sitting along the street.  All of a sudden the car horn started blowing!  We both stopped and looked in the car to see if some one was hiding inside - no one there.  We ran the ouija board back to his neighbors, threw it on their porch and ran back to his house.  Scared the shit out of us!  I haven't touched a ouija board again after that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 4:47:30 AM EDT
[#34]
There's just one thing I can think of. Don't know how to explain ghosts exactly, wether violent events leave emotional "impressions" that some people can pick up or whatnot. Anyway here it is. Back home when I was about 17 I was at the hunting camp, now this area is very secluded, mostly old groth forest, but there were a few farms around that were abandoned and left tio the wilderness, so you can me walking along in the woods and come across foundations, partially grown over clearings you can tell were once fields, ect. I was planning on scouting the south ridge, but some of the old timers at the camp directed me to "a real good spot up river" Told me the trails to take and such. About 2 miles up river on this trail I come to an area I could tell used to be a fiels. Couple of long dead apple trees, rock wall, all the standard stuff. I snoop around looking for deer like usual, just as I notice an old foundation the hais stand on the back of my neck, now mind you I've seen and explored a few broken down abandoned farm houses in my time much to the chagrin of my mom, so this is nothing to me. I blow it off, but look around for an animal, sometimes I get that feeling when a predator is around. Nothing. I walk forward and feel like I hit a brick wall, feellike something's squeezing the air outta my lungs. No big deal, I've been hoofing a pack for miles, but the feeling gets worse. I'm not jumpy by any means, ask my fire team partner, but this spooked me. I began feeling like there was something around, maybe evil isn't the word, but definitely not friendly. Put it this way, I got a garand and I don't feel safe. I trie to blow off the feeling that "something's there" Just as I'm about carry on I feel like something brushed up against my back. I hoofed it, and the feeling didn't leave till I was out of the clearing. I kept turning back feeling like something was there watching me. I made it back to camp in record time, only the two old timers there, smiling. All one of them said was "Well boy, did you make it past the old farm?" They all knew. Apparently a man lived there alone in the 30's, making shine. Deal went bad with some american purchasers, and they took their time finishin him, or so tthe story goes. Point is I'd have no reason to be jumpy, no reason to have anything but deer on the brain and no knowledge of the story, and the old timers knew exactly where I felt that "presence" before I could tell them. Ghost, maybe, but definitely something. Make fun of me if you want, but I was there.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 4:54:12 AM EDT
[#35]
I seen one the other night, and that was approximately 48hrs after I was abducted by 3 aliens. Very strange[;)]
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 5:02:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Bought an old house to use as a business in 1994.

Was in the basement apartment painting.....
Heard loud footsteps up stairs and loud "HELLO....HELLO!"........
"Be right there!" I shouted back.
I was up the stairs in about 8 seconds, looking for whoever it was....
NOBODY WAS THERE.
The ONLY entrance was the front door and it was deadbolted from the inside.

Basement apartment again a few weeks later.....still working.
Radio playing in the next room tuned in on talk station.
Radio fades out........womens voice fades in...pleading "Help me......please help me...won't someone help me?......Help me.."
Voice fades out.....Talk radio fades back in...

Over time I heard many "footstep noises" in that old place.

Found out later there had been a bad fire upstairs, don't know if anyone had been hurt.

I was there, I heard it!
No visual sightings.
Something was there!
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 5:06:52 AM EDT
[#37]
As some of you may recall, I have a baby daughter who is now 7 months old. Several times, maybe about 8-10 times, actually, I will be holding, changing, playing with her or just watching her play on her own or whatever and she will stop what she is doing like something has caught her attention and just stare at, or a couple of times she would "track" something accross the room... Not a damn thing will be there. She does not get upset nor is she amused (which she usually is) she just watches for several moments. I don't know what the deal is but it Fing freaks me out a bit!! Really raises my cackles!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 5:46:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 5:52:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Okay here's mine....

In my teenage years, we moved into an old farm house in Feasterville, PA.  The house was built in 1831 it think?, anyway really old.  My room was fixed up in the top corner floor of the house.  When they were putting up drywall, they noticed that several of the timbers had been scortched by a fire of some sort.  Oftern times we would find old horse shooes, pottery, old chine, nails and etc.  So all in all a really old house.

So after my room was finished, I guess about a year latter, it was a cold winter day, so My room never had good heating, so the condensation from my breath would frost the windows on the inside.  I woke up looked over to the window and I see a perfectly shaped hand print in the window.  I put my hand up for conparission and it was larger than mine.  I thought nothing of it, thinking it was just my dad who is a fanitic with cleaning his gutters.  LOL

I got dressed and went down stairs, dad was there reading the paper in his bathrobe.  Funny that he would do gutters in his PJ's?  Asked him if he had done gutters this morningand he replied "no".  I told him about it and he just shrugged it off.  I never thought or spoke of it again.  

So my parents moved again after I had moved out, and the family happened to all be in the same place, somehow we got onto the subject of  the hand print in the frost.  Everyone started to chime in about experiences they had.
After I moved out, my youngest brother took over my room.  He woke up one night to see green hand prints across the celling.  He also saw a figure at the top of the stairs.  He didn't want to show the figure he was scared so he kept walking right up the stairs and right through it, i think he said it was chilly, but I don't remember.   My mom always felt a presence.  My brother-in-law is kind weird appernetly he comes from a family of witches.  He refused to go into certain parts of the house.  He felt a presence he didn't like, one especically one of those places was my old room.  My dad never said anything before, but he was in the basement once and got all freaked out thinking someone was watching him, he had to leave.  Several times my parents woke up to footsteps walking on the gravel drive, my dad would whip out the flash light only to see nothing.  They all at some point heard foot steps on the first floor walking through the rooms.    

While they were trying to sell the house, all the perspective buyers kept getting freaked out, insisting "there was someone or something", a presence there.  So it took them a long time to sell.  My parents called the former owners and they too had felt a presence.

I never felt a presence, If I had I would have kicked it's ass.

I live in a differnet house now, one with a blue toma-hawk throwning indian.  I tell that one laster.    

Link Posted: 4/18/2003 6:05:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Once, on Oprah, she asked the audience,"Who believes in ghosts?"  Most raised their hands.

The she asked, "Who has seen a ghost?"  A couple of dozen raise their hands.

Then she asks,"Who has touched a ghost?"  A few raise their hands.

Then she asks, "Who has had sex with a ghost?"  One guy raises his hand.

She calls him up to the mike and asks where he is from.  He says, "Vidor, Texas."  She says, "I can't believe you had sex with a ghost!!"

He says, "Ghost?  Ah heck.  I thought you said 'Goat'!"

Link Posted: 4/18/2003 6:11:26 AM EDT
[#41]
A few things come to mind for me.  One being a personal incident.

When I was about 25 I was living in a townhouse apartment here in NoVA.  I was peacefully asleep on night (no precurser bad dreams or anything) when I awoke suddenly, sitting bolt upright in bed, with this very BAD feeling that something VERY evil was in the room.  I don't know how to explain it, but I was very cold and every hair on my body was on end.  I have never been THAT scared in my life or felt fear like that either.  For some reason the only thing I could think of was to yell out "In the name of Jesus Christ - GET OUT!"  Literally in the blink of an eye, the presence/feeling vanished and the cold feeling instantly went away - poof.
Needless to say, I didn't really get much sleep that night afterwards.  However, it never happend again.

Several years ago friends of mine (a couple) had strange experiences.  The wife's mother (whom she was extremly close to) died of cancer just prior to her last daughter being born.  Everyone in the family had wanted the mother to live long enough to see her granddaughter, but it wasn't to be (or was it?).  Not long after the daughter was born, the baby would frequently look at or watch something in room and laugh/giggle happily.  This stuff happened continually for about a year and a half.  When they were at her parents home, the little girl, once she could crawl, would always go to the entrance of the hallway and sit there, staring down the hall towards the bedroom.  She would laugh and smile like someone was in the bedroom door talking to her.  Everyone in the family saw this and everyone thought it was my friend's mother (in spirit) coming to see her granddaughter.

Was any of this a result of ghosts?  Who know's?  I'm kind of an agnostic on ghosts - I neither believe or disbelieve in them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 6:42:15 AM EDT
[#42]
I was watching TV this morning when they showed still pics from a video which was supposedly Saddam Hussein in Baghdad on April 9th. Creepy.
[:O]
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 6:50:25 AM EDT
[#43]
I really have no opinion on the subject of ghosts and I know my dad isn't the person to believe in things unless he's personally experienced them, and he believes in ghosts. And here's why.

When he was around the age of 4 or 5 his dad (my grandpa) bought a house in the Central Ohio area. It was an old house and it needed a lot of work. Well my grandpa was quite the carpenter in his time and they worked their butts off working on this house and put a lot of hours into it. Well shortly after they moved in there was a lot of weird occurrences in the house. My dad was telling me about the nightly occurence. He would be asleep then would suddenly snap awake to the sound of footsteps, sounded like heavy workboots, and he would hear them approach the steps then they would start up the steps and one of the steps had a creak and it made the creak as the presence approached the landing at the top of the steps which was my dad's "room". At about this time he would have the covers pulled over his head ready to piss himself. The figure would go to the foot of his bed then walk off and check all of the other rooms and then back down the steps.

That was his personal experience but a couple times they found his sister (my aunt) sitting infront of the fireplace, her eyes all glazed where she hadn't got any sleep all night. Then she would tell long elaborate stories about 2 people should would talk to throughout the night.

He also recalled cold spots in the house and out in the yard he remembered walking around then all of the sudden the air would get really thick and it would feel like you were walking through a wall of vapor. Just thick air... there was actually resistance.

Once while my grandma was at work she started thinking something horrible was going to happen. She began praying right there at work, when she got home Dad told her how he was almost struck by lightning right there in the yard. Like 4-5 yards right infront of him.

Well after all of this they decided that this was not the place to be living so they decided to put the house up for sale. Well my grandpa has forgotten to turn off the pilot light or something to do with the heater and went down into the basement with is brother to check it out and they too heard the footsteps go all the way through the entire house, stopping in each room to check it out. Well my uncle and grandpa thought someone might be in the house so they went through the entire house and no one was to be found. They got out of there as quick as possible.

A couple years later the house burned down, no one was harmed in the fire.

Great thread.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 7:02:06 AM EDT
[#44]
So when I was in Infantry OSUT, I came down with pnuemonia. It really sucked and I was required 23 hrs a day bed rest. Needless to say, I was unable to go out for our week-long FTX with my Basic Training unit.

Now, we were housed in Starships (five company sized extentions coming out of a center unit which held Battallion HQ) during basic that had been there and trained Infantryman since the Vietnam War.

Now my whole company went out in the field and NOBODY was on profile except me, so I was the only one in the Company area.

We were housed in Bays, just like to ones in Full Metal Jacket, except that we didn't have bunk beds, each Soldier got his own bed, and wall locker. The bay was divided into two sides by having the wall lockers down the middle of the bay, so in order for you to see the other side of the bay, you have to walk over a little ways to see the other half.

So I was stuck there for 5 days alone, my only breaks from the bed were going to chow, and reading my Bible. Sheer boredom.

My first night was uneventful, but the second night was when things started "happening".

Now, the Battalion had 1 DS on duty per night, he made rounds and checked on the Soldiers to make sure there were no fights and things of that sort. We almost never saw him, because it was basically BS duty. Well, the second night a DS cam into my bay to check things out and make sure nobody was there. He was surprised to see me, but I explained my situation and he said goodnight and went about his rounds. That was about 11:00pm. At about 2:00 am I wake up to the sound of footsteps in the bay. Combat Boot footsteps make a very distinct sound on waxed linoleum.

So I called out- "Drill Sergeant? You there Drill Sergeant?"

No answer. The footsteps stopped. I figured he was fucking with me, so I waited thinking it may be the anti-biotics they gave me. Then I heard them again; Step, step, step.

So I though, fuck it, and got out of by bed and walked over to look down the other side of the Bay. Nobody there.

I figured I was just dreaming it, so I went back and got into bed.

The next night, I had just gotten into bed after doing some laundry downstairs and got out my Bible to read. I lay there in bed and am reading when I hear a faucet dripping. (My bed was closest to the latrine). I though maybe I forgot to turn the faucet off all the way, and went in and tightened the knob.

After I finished reading, and rolled over to get some sleep, I heard it again, but in the silence of the bay it seemed really loud. So I got up again, and turned the knob all the way off, agian. I started to feel kinds funny at this point, but figured I was just mind-fucking myself as I was alone in the bay and my imagination was running away with me.

At about 1-3 in the morning (I don't remember wxactally what time it was), I woke up to a toilet flushing. When I heard it, I had a very strong feeling of fear all over.

I called out "Who's there?" in a squeeky voice.
No answer.

I waited until the toilet stopped it's flush, and calmed myself down, figuring it's just old piping.

AFter laying ther for about 1/2 an hour, I was just about to get to sleep again, when I heard another flushing sound. I nearly shit my pants when I heard the handle being pulled again and again while it was flushing. You know, the sound it make when your toilet is broken and you try to flush it.

It this time I decided to be brave/stupid and run in there with the biggest, scariest object I could find at the moment. A broom. I went in there and flicked on the light. Nothing, nobody.

After I looked in every stall/shower I cursed myself for being an idiot and went back to bed.

The next night is when I started seeing and hearing things that I have absolutely NO explanation for.

Everything was fine until about midnight. I woke up to some yelling outside. I figured it was just the company next door getting a midnight smoking by their DS's. So I lay there trying to ignore them singing cadence and get back to sleep. Then I heard the strangest thing, "Vietnam". Now I don't know about you guys, but singing cadence with Vietnam in the verses is pretty rare in 1999. So I listened closer, and I quote becuase the absurdity is so apparent to me even today, "If I die in Vietnam, write a letter and tell my mom," As I got out of bed to go over to the window, the singing faded to silence. As I looked out window, there was nobody in the company area next door. Still trying to process this in my mind, I started to turn around to get back to my bed. As I turned, I saw a man standing all the way at the other end of the bay, he had on a Brown-Round, and a early 80's pickle suit with a white undershirt on. As I was asking myself "What the fuck?!?!" He said to me "What are you doing in my bay, Private??!?!" His voice was booming and terrifying. All at once I was speechless, and my knees gave out on me. I watched him turn around and walk into the DS office right behind him. After I got done getting up and getting a hold of myself, I walked over to the DS office and opened the door. Pitch black, and nobody in there.

With shaking hands, I decided to get my woolen and my winter PT's and go to the company next door. I explained to the DS that was there who I was and that I would like to sleep in one of his bays because I was having dizzy spells and was afraid I would fall or something. He said sure, and sent me to bed.

Never told anyone in my platoon, with the exception of my Battle Buddy.

-UHLEK-
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 7:30:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Edited to add that it seems that hunters usually have an easier time haphazardly wandering upon deer in the woods but when we really sneak around looking for them it gets a lot tougher.  Like you walk up on that big buck while headed back to the truck in turkey season!  It is because we do not present the stimuli that they react upon as strongly.  Slow deliberate movement(stalking) is that of a predator.  Aimless and haphazard travel is that of a grazing animal, non threatening.  See?  My buddy is a bio major I'll ask if he knows what we are talking about and see if I can get some reference material.
View Quote

I read an article along time ago about a hunter who would literally run through the woods to his stand every morning. After years of attempting to sneak in quietly he learned that this drove deer out of his area and he would not see one all day. When he began running to his stand, paying no attention to the noise he made, he bagged more deer. His thinking was as you say. By creeping into his stand he was perceived by other animals as a predator; but if he simply crashed through the woods he was perceived as a large animal fleeing. Oftentimes the loud noise would actually bring deer in to investigate the sound. I don't remember the article but I know he was a pretty successful hunter.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 7:31:17 AM EDT
[#46]
The Events marking Good Friday
Matthew 27:50-54
50.Jesus,when he had cried again with a loud voice, yeilded up the ghost.
51. And,behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;
52. And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose.
53. And came out of the graves after His resurrection and went into the holy city,and appeared unto many.
54. Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God
(The Roman officers attesting to this).....
He is risen.......
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 7:45:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I’ve had the same type of experiences Brohawk mentions.  Used to happen much more frequently when I was younger.  However, it has happened as recently as a few months ago.  The paralysis doesn’t last quite as long anymore and I can sometimes feel the condition coming on, if that makes any sense, and force myself completely awake.  It almost seems like some type of state where the body is asleep but the conscious mind is alert.  Totally weird feeling and, at times, very scary.  I can look around with my eyes, but can’t move anything else.
View Quote

I work in Sleep Disorders.
Do a web search on "Sleep Paralysis"
RF
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Every morning, in the mirror.

I'm a frightful sight before my SSS.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#49]
I enjoy being a sceptic ...particularly when it comes to denying the evidence of my own eyes , that being said , at this point in my life I CHOOSE to believe that when you are dead you are dead ... even though in my life I have seen and experienced evidence to the contrary... I CHOOSE to think this way , because it makes me sleep better at night ..(gotta love pullin' the wool over your own eyes)

Anyway , one that shook me up came from an Uncle of mine , it meant a little more , only because he is not the sort of person to believe in ghosts  , or anything of the sort , he is a very grounded , worldly guy , who likes money and his Harley... meaning he is not suggestable and does not WANT to believe...in fact this sort of experience will decidedly complicate your life ...this means a lot to me because it is far easier to discount stories when they come from some hipp-dippy new age wannabe ....who would love nothing more in the world than to see evidence that proves their belief system

Anyway , not gonna get int details suffice it to say he told me , quite freaked out I might add , about an encounter he had with my Grandfather the night after we buried him....so like it or not , this story I tend to believe ....

t
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Story 1: Attended a military school for the last 1/2 of 8th grade.

Was sick with a fever, and was in the school infirmary on bedrest for a few days.

At night, I would hear footsteps in the back hallway that led between the (two) two-bed rooms, and the shared washroom. Never saw anyone.

Also, there was an old sconce (wall lamp)that was original to the building that I would turn off before going to sleep. It kept getting turned back on.

And the school RN told me she hadn't turned it on when she checked on me that evening.

Heard later that a cadet had died of influenza or other some such in the infirmary back after the school first opened (1930's).

Story 2: Sometimes, when I was drinking, listening to CD's andlaying on the counch in my (then) "new" house (built in 1934), around o-dark early, I would [b]swear[/b] that I'd see a flash of a whitish cat running through the living room.

That same "what-was-that" you get when you try to see something that your eyes already registered, but your mind didn't classify.

Until my wife (then GF) moved in, [u]I didn't have any white, or partially white cats in the house[/u]. Told her about it one day, and she had thought it was her cat, until she realized that he was curled up on his perch, asleep.

Take it for what you will. I think that the "expanded" five senses theory is a good one, and that there are lots of things that we see on a daily basis, but do not [b][u]see[/b][/u](i.e. register conciously).

Of course, I also believe that the power of the spirit (and The Spirit) are beyond mortal comprehension, so I don't think we'll ever know WTF that "bump in the night" really was...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top