Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2001 9:06:42 AM EDT
I was at my step daughters high school play the other day, and I found myself wondering if I was the only one armed. I was there with my wife to be, my brothers, my mom, my fiances mom and my dad. Being a reasonable man, I would never allow harm to come to these people or anyone else for that matter. Since prudence would dictate that  schools are high risk areas, I would be an unresponsible person if I allowed something to happen to them.
Anyone else put reason and moral obligation above law?
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#1]
That IS illegal in my state.

Breaking THAT law in my state could possibly compromise my gun ownership rights....

I AM NEVER UNARMED......
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 9:10:17 AM EDT
[#2]
[;)]
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#3]
If you admit something like that you might as well admit that you sell crack to kids. I agree with your principles but if anything would piss off an anti it would be the idea that someone is carrying in a school. I think even if you did save the day and keep many people from being killed you would still be portrayed as a bad guy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#4]
no question about it, Rickyj is right you could save the whole fucking planet and still be dragged over the coals for it.  But the idea is this you and yours are still alive and safe. It would suck but it would be worth it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I do.  It's illegal to have a gun on school grounds but I keep one in my truck 24/7.  I could be busted if it's found.  Like you, it would never be pulled out unless needed.  Out of sight, out of mind I always say.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Glad to see I'm not the only one [:)]
I can give a crap less whether I piss an anti off or what they think or would think of me if I had to defend someone with it. I don't live my life worrying what people think.
Quite frankly......I'm betting on the fact that should I prevent a tragedy the news will read something like this......."and the district attorney has decided not to procecute"
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Goes to show how much things have changed.  When I was in High School, during deer season there would be an announcement for everyone to take their rifles out of their cars and lock them in their lockers so they wouldn't get stolen.  Imagine THAT today, eh?

Heard the same thing from people my age and older all over North and South Dakota.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Frownwed upon in Nevada. I might have something in the car when I stop by but not on me. The High school in town has signs on several doors stating the complete state ordinance pertaining to this.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 11:49:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Another thought. I think that school and church are places that you should carry. As we have seen, a great place to raise havoc. With no one to stop them until the run out of ammo or come to their senses.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I can give a crap less whether I piss an anti off or what they think or would think of me if I had to defend someone with it. I don't live my life worrying what people think.
View Quote

I do not disagree with carrying a gun in school, but I think announcing the fact that you carry in places where it would be illegal is inappropriate. Carry the weapon concealed and no one will object, because they do not know. A weapon should be carried for the protection of yourself and others, not for intimidation. So the only time that anyone even needs to know that you have a gun is when you use it in defense. Announcing that you carry a gun in school is inappropriate, you may not care what the anti's think of you but out of respect for other gun owners please keep this a secret between you and your gun.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Crossing Guard Ninja does.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey check out this logic!

I LIVE about 500 feet away from a public HS down the street. Coming out of MY OWN APARTMENT building one day a cop saw me with my rifle case and asked me what I was doing. I stopped and told him I was going to the range. He asked to see my rifle. Thinking that he just wanted to compare notes and shoot the shit, I showed him my Bushmaster AR-15, opening the case on the trunk of my car. His eyes quickly grew WIDE and he said, "Do you know taht you're currently violating federal law by having an assault weapon near a school?".

I almost puked on him right there and then.

I collected myself, and politely asked this idiot to explain what he expected me to do, after all, he had SEEN me come out of the building and I SAID I lived there.

His reply?

"Don't let anyone see you again."

So now, I wonder, sitting in my living room with my AR, am I violating federal law??????

SAMHAIN44
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Rickyj, Ravyn didn't *necassarily* say it was illegal. I didn't hear anything. Hear what?

Some states DO allow this, and it is not a big deal. Maybe not where he is, but I think he was just pondering wheather or not more people (legal CCW adults) carry while in a school, even if they aren't supposed to. I don't have any kids and haven't had to go to a school lately, but if for some reason I did, I would still probably CCW. Why, because as long as it stays "concealed" and I wasn't going to be staying long, it wouldn't matter to me since I don't plan to get searched by a cop before I go into the school. Does it matter if it's a school to me? No, somebody could decide to go on a shooting spree anywhere.

Also as a legal CCW permit holder, a responsible adult, and soon to be husband, he was perfectly in his right to be carrying a defensive weapon. Does it REALLY matter if you happen to be in a school, a movie theater, the grocery store, the gas station, or your home?? No, crime and violence can and do happen anywhere at any time.

Anti-gunners would have people even like yourself believe it is wrong to carry in school, even if that belief is simply because it is "against the law." All that means to me is that there is just one more unjust law to deal with. Down here we have signs on the doors of most state property or at least military property that says "No privately owned firearms allowed". Huh?? So we have government issued machine guns, rifles, pistols, 50 cals, 9mm's, and thousands of rounds of ammo in there, but I can't bring in with me one 8 shot .45??? WTF? If I want to do something illegal is that sign going to stop me? No way. For that matter someone could just lock and load the government stuff if they were going to do something illegal. Stupid law.

Lets face it, if guns are not to be allowed in school, then only the crazy-ass columbine type kids will have guns in school, KNOWING there is no one there to stop them. If there was even 2 teachers armed in that school, there wouldn't have been half the casualties. Maybe not everywhere, but MORE GUNS NEED TO BE IN SCHOOLS. People can disagree all they want, but I think the more criminals know that regular people carry guns, even in school, the less likely they are to commit such crimes.

For all we know some 16 year old contemplating shoting up his school with his grandad's rifle could have been surfing the boards and changed his mind, now seeing that folks CCW in schools, legal OR NOT for that state.

Anyway, my $.02
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 1:36:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Rick,
I agree that concealed is concealed and I've carried concealed for almost 20yrs. I carry everywhere that I can regardless of law or ordinance. I appreciate your comments but I HAVE no respect for a gun owner who won't exercise thier right. I'll do everything within my power including stepping on peoples toes to keep my state as opposite as I can from the PRK.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 1:39:27 PM EDT
[#16]
M4guy..........thanks for the help.......and yes it is illegal in PA.......so is murder, but a law hasn't stopped that yet either.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Samhain44, you are such a bad person. Not only do you have one of those violence causing assault M16's or whatever they are, but you are bringing them to a school and promoting school violence. All those kids will pick up the subliminal evil causeing radio waves from your rifle and start causing mischeif. [;)]
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Ravyn, I will have to remember that "murder is illegal" statement. That is one of the best pro-carry statements I've heard in long time.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Sam,

Most all cops will understand the stupidity of such a law and will not give you shit about that.  Without being there it sounds like he was giving you some good advice.  If some neighbor sees you walking around with it in your yard and freaks out, it could be sticky if the wrong rookie is sent to investigate.  Legally you probably wouldn't have too bad a probalem, but you don't want to find out.  Everyone here will agree that its a dumb-phuck law.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#20]
My older brother is a law enforcement officer, and I go to a Crim Justice College, so I have the upmost respect for L.E., but in NY there is VERY LITTLE faith left in the "common man" (or woman)'s right to own a firearm. If anyone out there knows NY law or even federal law, could they tell me if I'm in violation by owning a firearm because I live so close to a school?

I don't want to move... 'sob'....

SAMHAIN44[pissed]
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 1:54:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Sam, the Federal law makes an exception if you live w/in the "gun-free school zone."  You are allowed to lawfully possess a gun, even in your car, yada yada yada.  You just can't do anything with a gun relative to the school.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#22]
You all might want to read this article...

[url]http://www.sptimes.com/News/042101/TampaBay/Teacher_brings_gun_to.shtml[/url]

You ain't gonna believe it.....

[sniper]
The Sniper
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My older brother is a law enforcement officer, and I go to a Crim Justice College, so I have the upmost respect for L.E., but in NY there is VERY LITTLE faith left in the "common man" (or woman)'s right to own a firearm. If anyone out there knows NY law or even federal law, could they tell me if I'm in violation by owning a firearm because I live so close to a school?

I don't want to move... 'sob'....

SAMHAIN44[pissed]
View Quote

if you are within 500 yards (or somthin like that)of "school property", yes that means grass too, you are in violation of state ordinances. but just between you me and the bean post, i dont think anyone cares unless you actually live in school property.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I carry my kinber to class at OU. Not even my roommates know..Never leave home with out it
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I think you guys misunderstand what I am trying to say. I believe that he is completely within his rights to carry a gun in school (birth rights at least). In Colorado we have safe zones and you are not allowed to carry a gun on school property. That said if he feels like carrying a gun to school more power to him. I do not have a problem with a person carrying a gun anywhere, hospital, church, school, whatever. What bothers me is stating publicly that you carry in school. While I understand that there is nothing wrong with this the anti's do not. Saying "I am going to carry a gun to school and there is not a god damn thing you can do about it", portrays someone who is aggressive and probably mentally unstable (due to the extremely small possibility of a life threatening situation occurring at a school) Note that this is not a flame and I do not believe that this would be true. But I do think anti's would believe it to be true. I think a much better thing to say would be, "I carry at all times for self defense". We as a group need to realize that the "you can have it when you pry it from my cold dead hands" is not going to work without the support of a majority of Americans. If you go around telling everybody who is antigun that "it is my right and if you try to take it away I will kill you" it scares them. It makes us look like the criminals and people are eager to accept "protection" from the government from these dangerous people. We tried it with the assault weapons ban, at least I believe there was resistance correct me if I am wrong, and it did not work. Had we spent that energy showing more people that it was a stupid law that would have no effect, that a tiny number of crimes are committed with these guns, etc., it probably would not have passed.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sam,

Most all cops will understand the stupidity of such a law and will not give you shit about that.  Without being there it sounds like he was giving you some good advice.
View Quote

Everybody might want to read this article:

[url]http://www.sptimes.com/News/042101/TampaBay/Teacher_brings_gun_to.shtml[/url]

Also I posted this link under the topic "Teacher brings gun to school"

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=18285#lastPost[/url]

[sniper]
The Sniper
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#27]
1) My rifle club all carried rifles at one time or another in our cars on Mondays
2) Does even Charles Schumer think some kid going to school to take out as many students as possible is going to care that they might tack on five more years for carrying a "weapon in a safe zone"
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 5:07:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I've gone to pick up or drop off my daughter at school with rifles in the trunk of my car. I don't know if I was violating any dumb laws, but I do know that the school and all it's inhabitants were far safer with me there than without me there. [:)]
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By The Sniper:
Quoted:
Sam,

Most all cops will understand the stupidity of such a law and will not give you shit about that.  Without being there it sounds like he was giving you some good advice.
View Quote

Everybody might want to read this article:

Also I posted this link under the topic "Teacher brings gun to school"

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=18285#lastPost[/url]

[sniper]
The Sniper
View Quote

Hey Sniper,

I responded on the other thread.  Two different situations.  One is his home, the other is in the middle of a school.  The sub pretty much forced the guy's hand.  

Maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe cops back east are buying into the antigun BS more than here in the west.  I've never knew a cop who would make a big deal about a guy going from his house to his car with a cased rifle. If he was moving his lawn with it slung over his shoulder every day and harrassing the school kids walking by on the sidewalk, that's another story.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 3:56:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Rick,
your playing right into the antis hands. Think about what you are saying. Or, more to the point........what you won't say. You as a gun owner are espousing the mindset of "lets go hide in the corner and maybe no one will bother us". I'm done with that. I am a responsible gun owner and DAMN proud of it. I shout it from the highest mountain. Get out of the corner Rick, and tell those communists where you stand and what armament you stand with.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:50:43 AM EDT
[#31]
look at it this way.  With the number of school shootings growing ever larger I think that teachers should have the  right to atleast have a fighting chance.   who would have ever thought "TEACHING the most dangerous job in America".  I would rather be a cop i DC than a teacher.

[heavy]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Ravyn, I totally agree that it is your right and that you should be able to shout it from the rooftops. I think that we arguing the same point but in different ways. We cannot go hide in the corner and survive as a group, but standing atop the mountain as a tiny minority will do us no good either. We need to get as many people on our side as possible, without the support of many more people I don't think we will win the war. I don't think that most Americans are against the rights of gun owners, but by being aggressive we could change that for the worse. We can stand our ground without giving an inch and still teach the average person the truth. The people voting against these guns have no idea what they are, or what they do, their only pictures of them come from Hollywood and antigun propaganda. We can break more gun laws by showing the public their flaws then we can with a bring on the laws and I will fight them attitude. Your last post makes me think that our beliefs are the same, so I probably just got the wrong idea on your first post. I am on your side [not a commie :) ].
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Since I'm a police officer I carry a gun everytime I go to a school in uniform.  If you do carry a gun to a school, definetly make sure it's well concealed.  I don't know of any school that allows firearms anywhere in the country.  Some high school ROTC rifle teams may be the exceptions.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 4:52:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Rick,
I'm sure we're on the same side. Its alittle different for me since I'm kind of spoiled where I live. I live in PA. More people own guns in this state than not. I understand your arguement but respectfully disagree. (to an extent). I don't do an "in your face" arguement with non gun people but I certainly don't back off of a discussion. Truth is truth [:)]
Sf46.......I've been carrying for many years......believe me....its well concealed. I don't look for trouble[:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top