Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2001 9:00:10 AM EDT
I want a FAL, but I can't afford the DSA, and  fear the Century's. Has anyone tried the L1A1 built on the Imbel receivers?
Also, shouldn't the original L1A1's be allowed into this country because they were all built as Semi-Autos?
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I've heard about some bad-mojo concerning Imbel's heat treating and hardness.  It could be just hype.

A few years ago I had two Century Imbels that ticked along perfectly.  I sold them, because I ran out of cheap .308.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#3]
It's all hype, I've built hundreds of FALs of varying types and seen exactly 2 bad Imbel receivers. Both were promptly and apologetically replaced by TDW. D.

New pics on site now and message board coming soon!
www.azexarms.com
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 4:13:30 PM EDT
[#4]
The FAL being modelled by our own Miss Magnum below is a Centruy gun.
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1069148&a=12667483&p=47017417&Sequence=0[/img]
It has an Imbel receiver and came with the thumbhole stock.  The receiver itself is cut for metric mags, but is also cut for the folcing cocking handle and the top cover legs of the inch gun.  All the parts are inch, including the barrel, which uses the breeching washer.  The muzzle threads were cut-off and recrowned by Century.  

I installed a US inch gas piston and First Sons Enterprises hammer, trigger, and sear.  I also use the US follower and floorplate for metric mags, since that's what the receiver is cut to take.  That allowed me to use the original Brit furniture.  The gun itself runs great.  

The inch guns are semi's, but only because the various users installed a semi-only selector.  On a genuine inch gun, if you swap the selector with one from an L2/C2 you have a select-fire weapon.  So that pretty much validates the BATF view that it's a machinegun.  

I have found Imbels to be fantastic receivers to build on, and would not hesitate to even try another Century if I could physically examine it before purchase.  

Ross
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 4:18:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey Missy your cute, I sorta pictured someone a .....bigger. The 'Magnum' creates an image.
Not a come on, I`m happy.[:)]
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a FAL with L1a1 front end, a half-inch pattern Imbel receiver (folding cocking handle-metric mags only), and a STG lower.  The ultimate Frankengun.  It is reliable, but the finish obviously doesn't match from one end to the other.  Even with 168gr BTHP Sierras, the best it will shoot is about 3 MOA.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#8]
If I were you, I would put the extra few bucks in and buy a DSA STG58A.  I just got mine and it looks and runs like a brand new factory gun. It cost me $795 and $15 for shipping.  It came in a hard case with the all the paper work and a new mag. I think its definitely worth it, especially if you are used to the fit and finish of most ARs.  I think you will be disappointed with a CAI rifle. It doesn't look as nice and some don't shoot well. Why take out Rosie when Pam will go?!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top