Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2001 11:05:01 PM EDT
PENANCE FOR THE PAST
Reparation for Southern Americans?
Petition drive seeks congressional action on 'atrocities' of Civil War

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Mary Jo Anderson
© 2001 Mary Jo Anderson

In the wake of the state of Mississippi's April 17 flag referendum, a petition drive that seeks reparations for Southern Americans is building steam.

The League of the South has collected 10,000 signatures since April 6 as part of its effort to gain a hearing in the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate on behalf of "all Southerners and their families who suffered atrocities during the [Civil] War and the years of military occupation that followed
[url]http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=22555[/url]
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 12:21:07 AM EDT
[#1]
When I was a little boy, my Great Grand Daddy told me that his paw rode off to fight in the war of northern aggression on an old horse.  After the war he returned on the same old horse.  

I later found out that he fought in the 9th Mississippi cavalry under Major Steede.  

I am not sure of which battles he fought in, but I know he fought against Sherman and his unholy rape and pillage campaign.

I personally have a very high regard for the service my family provided to Mississippi.  I have no real personal connection between my heritage and the presence of the Confederate Battle Flag on the Mississippi state flag.  I will not be signing any war reparations petition either.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 4:17:52 AM EDT
[#2]
So I'm a '[i][b]Neo-Confederate[/b][/i]'?

Well, now, if that don't beat all!

Reparations, Hell, I say we torch their cities![BD]

Eric The(Yeee-Ha)Hun
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 4:45:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Good, I'm all for it. About time the shoe was on the other foot!

Let's make it at least $1,000. ea so I can get another AR with some ammo.

Lee: "I wish those people would just go away and leave us alone."  (Even now, I wish that)
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 4:56:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So I'm a '[i][b]Neo-Confederate[/b][/i]'?

Well, now, if that don't beat all!

Reparations, Hell, I say we torch their cities![BD]

Eric The(Yeee-Ha)Hun
View Quote

Heck,You all don't need to burn down Our cities!
The As**oles living in Them are doing it for You/Us already!
Hell! Here in Detroit, It'd be an improvement!
kinda' like people used to "Burn out the vermin".

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 5:01:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Makes as much sense as reparations for blacks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 5:02:17 AM EDT
[#6]
HUNTSVILLE, AL--For the 135th straight year since Gen. Robert E. Lee's surrender at Appomattox, representatives for the South announced Monday that the region has postponed plans to rise again.

[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1477694&a=11126868&p=47300848&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]
Above: Three of the estimated 45 million Southerners who have not yet gotten around to rising again.

"Make no mistake, the South shall rise again," said Knox Pritchard, president of the Huntsville-based Alliance Of Confederate States. "But we're just not quite ready to do it now. Hopefully, we'll be able to rise again real soon, maybe even in 2001."

Pritchard's fellow Southerners shared his confidence.

"Yes, sir. The South will rise again, and when it does, I'll be right up front waving the Stars and Bars," said Dock Mullins of Decatur, GA. "But first, I gotta get my truck fixed and get that rusty old stove out of my yard."

"Lord willing, and the creek don't rise, we gonna rise again," said Sumter, SC, radiator technician Hap Slidell, who describes himself as "Southern by the grace of God." "I don't know exactly when we're gonna do it, but one of these days, we're gonna show them Yankees how it's done."

"Save your Confederate dollars," Slidell added. "You can bet on that."

The Deep South states of Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina, Louisiana, and Tennessee consistently rank at the bottom of the nation in a wide variety of statistical categories, including literacy, infant mortality, hospital beds, toilet-paper sales, and shoe usage. Even so, some experts believe the region could be poised for a renaissance.

"The way things stand, things in the Deep South almost have to get better. Otherwise, the people who live there will devolve into preverbal, overall-wearing sub-morons within a century," said Professor Dennis Lassiter of Princeton University. "Either Southerners will start improving themselves, or they'll be sold to middle-class Asians as pets."

[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1477694&a=11126868&p=47300847&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]Above:
The Kentucky state capitol.

"My constituents are decent, hard-working folk," said Sen. Jesse Helms (R-NC), despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, in his 22nd annual "Next Year, By God!" speech on the steps of North Carolina's capitol building. "We are a proud people who mayn't have all that much fancy-pants book-learnin', but we live and die with pride in our proud heritage and the dignity of our forebears."

Helms' speech was met with nearly 25 minutes of enthusiastic hoots and rebel yells by the 15,000 drunk, unemployed tobacco pickers in attendance.

Though Southerners are overwhelmingly in favor of rising again, few were able to provide specific details of the rising-again process.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 5:02:47 AM EDT
[#7]
"I don't know, I reckon we'll build us a bunch of big, fancy buildins and pave us up a whole mess of roads," said Bobby Lee Fuller of Greenville, MS. "I ain't exactly sure where we're gonna get the money for that, but when Johnny Reb sets his mind to something, you best get out of his way."

"Oh, it'll happen, sure as the sun come up in the morning," said Buford Comstock, 26, a student at Over 'N' Back Diesel Driving School in Union City, TN. "The South is gonna rise up, just as soon as we get together and get all our shit back in one sock. Then, look out, Northerners!"

"Yesiree," Comstock added, "one day soon, the Mason-Dixon Line will be the boundary between a great nation and one whose time done passed."
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 8:06:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Cible,
Your account of the South is outdated and shows extreme prejudice and bias.  You should get out more, open up your little closed mind.

No, on second thought, where ever your from -- STAY, GIRL, STAY!  Good girl.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 8:12:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I lived in Texas for a few years and I always heard that! as a mater of fact I blame my bad spelling on the Texas school system. I went there in 11 grade and we were learning shit from 9th grade. but anyhow you people need us where else would you get your beer and cheese from? so let it fly boys I need a good laughf
pluss if you didn't have the revinue from our older people moving down there to die you would be broke
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 11:17:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted by garry - pluss if you didn't have the revinue from our older people moving down there to die you would be broke.
View Quote

Yeah, right, and if'n y'all didn't git our oil and gas, y'all would freeze to death in the dark! In May![:D]

And [b]Cible[/b], I didn't see any 'smilies' on your post.  Could that mean you actually think that way?

[b]Reddog6[/b] - No one ever thought that way but Yankee trash and those poor benighted souls who thought that all modern civilization ended just East of the Hudson River.  Think of all the intelligent people who refer to the South, the MidWest and West as 'fly-over' country.
Not a very impressive list, is it?

Eric The Hun
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Given that southerners consistantly control the presidency and the congress, I's say that the South has already risen.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 11:32:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
And [b]Cible[/b], I didn't see any 'smilies' on your post.  Could that mean you actually think that way?

Eric The Hun
View Quote

Eric, if I actually thought that way I'd be making more money as a writer.  I unabashedly lifted that piece from the Onion, as I have done before.  This time, I just forgot to give them credit:
[url]www.theonion.com/onion3613/south_postpones.html[/url][:)]

Reddog, you're an idiot with no sense of humor.[:)]

Edited to add a smiley for Eric [size=5]AND REDDOG[/SIZE=5].
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted by Cible - Edited to add a smiley for Eric.
View Quote

[b]Much grass, Amigo[/b]. I appreciate your efforts, 'cause we don't want to get that (not) recent unpleasantness started up all over again just for the lack of a smiley!

As in 'Smile when you say that, Mister.'[:D]

Eric The(Happy)Hun
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#14]
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1100113&a=12664563&p=47021559&Sequence=0[/img]
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Cible,
Your account of the South is outdated and shows extreme prejudice and bias.  You should get out more, open up your little closed mind.

View Quote

And you should get out of the trailer every once and a while and acquire a sense of fricken humor! [:D]
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#16]
The South may try to rise again one day, but they will never win the war. I hear all their tanks crews are trained only to drive in ovals, which means they will never make it out of South Carolina.[;)]

sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 1:08:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Originally Posted by garry - pluss if you didn't have the revinue from our older people moving down there to die you would be broke.
View Quote

Yeah, right, and if'n y'all didn't git our oil and gas, y'all would freeze to death in the dark! In May![:D]

[b]Reddog6[/b] - No one ever thought that way but Yankee trash and those poor benighted souls who thought that all modern civilization ended just East of the Hudson River.  Think of all the intelligent people who refer to the South, the MidWest and West as 'fly-over' country.
Not a very impressive list, is it?

Eric The Hun
View Quote

Eric: Just a quick note - We Michiganders, as well as the surrounding states of the Midwest do not consider ourselves 'Yankees' but rather 'Midwesterners.'  A Yankee is a POS from the New England area and we're not very fond of them either [;)].  Just thought you'd like the clarification.

Michigander in Maryland
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 1:08:41 PM EDT
[#18]
The South is rising again, because it is being flooded with Yankees. All the rust belter liberals carpetbaggers are messing up everything

I like the tank crews not being able to mix in a left hand turn.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally posted by MIerinMD - Eric: Just a quick note - We Michiganders, as well as the surrounding states of the Midwest do not consider ourselves 'Yankees' but rather 'Midwesterners.'
View Quote

Right you are, Sir. I would never think that any group would [b]voluntarily[/b] assume that dreadful appellation.

No Sir, Yankees rightfully know who they are, and appear to be right proud, too!

It's like that scene in the movie '[i]Ride With the Devil[/i] where one Southerner announces that the Yankees are bound to win the War, because 'they won't stop fighting until everbody thinks the way they think.'

We're just fly-over country, is all.

Eric The Hun

Link Posted: 4/26/2001 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Man Cible, that was damn funny, good to see I'm not the only one here who enjoys the Onion!

And as for the South vs the North vs the North east... come on guys, lighten up a little, we're all Americans here...
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Now now sgtar15, you know we got us some boys that can go real good in a straight line. At least for a 1/4 mile.[:)]

BMB
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 3:53:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Cible,  I'm the idiot, I didn't leave off the SMILEY FACE!!!!!

Come on, where's YOUR sense of humor?  Lighten up.  We can't all be as perfect as you.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 4:02:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Steve in VA,
Anytime you want to compare bank accounts or homes or jobs -- just let me know (smiley face to go here)
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 4:24:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Reddog,

Sure thing, but do you still remember where paw barried that tin box?  Also, I don't mind comparing homes- why don't you just come up here to VA since yours is mobile.  (big grin).

On a serious note, I'm glad you took my advice.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 4:26:02 AM EDT
[#25]
The only thing rising that I noticed when I was in the south was the smell of rotting garbage.  And to the meatballs that didn't notice the article from The Onion.  Get a life.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#26]
William Tecumseh Sherman was THE MAN. The South is already attempting to rise again, just ask McVeigh, and Randy Weaver via the federal interstate system.
You go against the Union and bring some butter for your toasty asses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top