Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/10/2003 4:01:01 PM EDT
I recieved the following E-Mail from Bushmaster Firearms and believe this is VERY important to the continued RIGHT to Keep and Bear Arms. Groups such as HCI have publicly stated that if they could not LEGISLATE guns out of America they would LITIGATE them out. I am happy to see that the AL Senators are on board. ARE YOURS? IF NOT WRITE THEM!

MODS: TACK PLEASE.

From Bushmaster:

The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, S.659, is coming up for US Senate approval very soon and your support is urgently needed to help get it passed. The US House of Representatives passed it yesterday, but in the Senate we need you to contact your Senators to urge them to support this bill. There are several Democratic Senators, such as Senator Schumer (D-NY), that are threatening to kill the bill by filibuster, but this can be avoided by getting 60 votes. Currently there are 52 solidly supporting the bill.

These frivolous lawsuits against gun manufacturers for political purposes are a disgrace and abuse of our legal system. What some of these anti-gun groups have not been able to do through the voting booth, through lobbying, and through the media, they are now trying to accomplish by driving law-abiding gun manufacturers out of business through unfounded lawsuits and blackmail tactics.

The White House issued a statement strongly supporting this bill, saying it would "help prevent abuse of the legal system and help curb the growing problem of frivolous lawsuits."

Please call, email or write both your Senators today. Urge them to support the "common sense" legislation of The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, S.659

The following Senators are sponsors of this bill. Please be sure to thank them.

Sponsor:

Senator Larry E. Craig (R-ID)

Co-Sponsors:

Senator Max Baucus (D-MT)

Senator Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
Senator Wayne Allard (R-CO)
Senator George Allen (R-VA)
Senator Robert Bennett (R-UT)
Senator Christopher Bond (R-MO)
Senator John Breaux (D-LA)
Senator Sam Brownback (R-KS)
Senator Jim Bunning (R-KY)
Senator Conrad Burns (R-MT)
Senator Ben Campbell (R-CO)
Senator Saxby Chambliss (R-GA)
Senator Thad Cochran (R-MS)
Senator Norm Coleman (R-MN)
Senator Susan Collins (R-ME)
Senator John Cornyn (R-TX)
Senator Michael Crapo (R-ID)
Senator Elizabeth Dole (R-NC)
Senator Pete Domenici (R-NM)
Senator Byron Dorgan (D-ND)
Senator John Ensign (R-NV)
Senator Michael Enzi (R-WY)
Senator Bill Frist (R-TN)
Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC)
Senator Chuck Grassley (R-IA)
Senator Judd Gregg (R-NH)
Senator Chuck Hagel (R-NE)
Senator Orrin Hatch (R-UT)
Senator Kay Hutchinson (R-TX)
Senator James Inhofe (R-OK)
Senator Tim Johnson (D-SD)
Senator Jon Kyl (R-AZ)
Senator Mary Landrieu (D-LA)
Senator Blanche Lincoln (D-AR)
Senator Trent Lott (R-MS)
Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY)
Senator Zell Miller (D-GA)
Senator Lisa Murkowski (R-AK)
Senator Ben Nelson (D-NE)
Senator Don Nickles (R-OK)
Senator Harry Reid (D-NV)
Senator Pat Roberts (R-KS)
Senator Rick Santorum (R-PA)
Senator Jeff Sessions (R-AL)
Senator Richard Shelby (R-AL)
Senator Gordon Smith (R-OR)
Senator Arlen Spector (R-PA)
Senator Ted Stevens (R-AK)
Senator John Sununu (R-NH)
Senator James Talent (R-MO)
Senator Craig Thomas (R-WY)

The following Senators have not signed on to the bill and should be urged to support this legislation.

Senator Daniel Akaka (D-HI)
Senator Evan Bayh (D-IN)
Senator Joseph Biden (D-DE)
Senator Jeff Bingaman (D-NM)
Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA)
Senator Maria Cantwell (D-WA)
Senator Thomas Carper (D-DE)
Senator Lincoln Chafee (R-RI)
Senator Hillary Clinton (D-NY)
Senator Kent Conrad (D-ND)
Senator Jon Corzine (D-NJ)
Senator Thomas Daschle (D-SD)
Senator Mark Dayton (D-MN)
Senator Mike DeWine (R-OH)
Senator Christopher Dodd (D-CT)
Senator Richard Durbin (D-IL)
Senator John Edwards (D-NC)
Senator Russell Feingold (D-WI)
Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA)
Senator Peter Fitzgerald (R-IL)
Senator Bob Graham (D-FL)
Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA)
Senator Ernest Hollings (D-SC)
Senator Daniel Inouye (D-HI)
Senator James Jeffords (I-VT)
Senator Edward Kennedy (D-MA)
Senator John Kerry (D-MA)
Senator Herb Kohl (D-WI)
Senator Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT)
Senator Carl Levin (D-MI)
Senator Joseph Lieberman (D-CT)
Senator Richard Lugar (R-IN)
Senator John McCain (R-AZ)
Senator Barbara Mikulski (D-MD)
Senator Patty Murray (D-WA)
Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL)
Senator Mark Pryor (D-AR)
Senator Jack Reed (D-RI)
Senator John Rockefeller (D-WV)
Senator Paul Sarbanes (D-MD)
Senator Charles Schumer (D-NY)
Senator Olympia Snowe (R-ME)
Senator Debbie Stabenow (D-MI)
Senator George Voinovich (R-OH)
Senator John Warner (R-VA)
Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR)

Link Posted: 4/10/2003 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#1]
The Bill:

[url]http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/t2GPO/http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=108_cong_bills&docid=f:s659is.txt.pdf[/url]
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like Utah is already on board!
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#3]
BTT for a Tack perhaps???
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 5:22:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Both my Senators sponsored the bill, so I thanked them for doing it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry guys. You're gonna have to do it without Michigan.

The goobers we have in the Senate are big-government/nannystate/welfare pimps.

Stabenow makes pro RKBA noises but she'd eat broken glass before doing anything that would upset the TLA and Levin, well, the whole country knows what Levin is about.
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 5:39:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Can we litigate groups such as HCI out of existance? PLEASE?
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#7]
This is an excellent bill and my letter to Hillary Clinton asking her to support it will be on it's way shortly. When it was in the House the other day as HR1036 there were some heated debates over this bill and some of the more vocal supporters were Reps from NY. Too bad Hillary and Schumer don't get the message like they do, but I come to expect this from them. The bill protects the firearms idustry and dealers etc from lawsuits due to criminal misuse of thier products but I like the way it states that 'Citizens' have a right, protected by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, to keep and bear arms. I think if this bill becomes law it will be a good judge as to how well any new AW bans will do if they make it to the Senate floor.
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sorry guys. You're gonna have to do it without Michigan.

The goobers we have in the Senate are big-government/nannystate/welfare pimps.

Stabenow makes pro RKBA noises but she'd eat broken glass before doing anything that would upset the TLA and Levin, well, the whole country knows what Levin is about.
View Quote

I still think it is important to notify your anti gun Senators how many of us we are. When I am communicating with anti's, I also have my wife send notes so that they know women want guns and CCW laws.
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 8:17:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Does anyone else think this deserves a tack?

Folks, this bill would totally undermine the Anti's war plan. With all of the loud libs pissin and moaning over the war it could just get through. It would be a monumental event in RKBA.
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Does anyone else think this deserves a tack?

Folks, this bill would totally undermine the Anti's war plan. With all of the loud libs pissin and moaning over the war it could just get through. It would be a monumental event in RKBA.
View Quote

Especially given the statements that it will place in the US Code about the 2nd Ammendment...

These will be usefull in a future USSC case...

The libs will fight it tooth and nail, I sure hope that it makes it through...
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 8:46:22 PM EDT
[#11]
With 52 sponsor/co-sponsors, this bill has a very good chance of passing the Senate.  5-10 more co-sponsors and it's guaranteed.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
With 52 sponsor/co-sponsors, this bill has a very good chance of passing the Senate.  5-10 more co-sponsors and it's guaranteed.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
View Quote

Those 52 happen to be 'The Entire Republican Delegation'...

Unfortunately, the Demos seem to think they're still in the majority, and are going to fillibuster EVERY SINGLE conservative bill, just like Estrada's nomination... So it seems we need 60 senators to do anything major...

The question is: Where will the 8 pro-gun Demos come from???
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#13]
"Those 52 happen to be 'The Entire Republican Delegation"

Thats not true.  Sen. McCain in against it.  Since I live in AZ I will send him an email.  I really suck at writing letters though.  Does anybody want to let me use one of theirs that they are sending to another Senator.  I would appreciate it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I just looked at the list and there are 9 Democrats for it and 8 Republicans against it.

Also, Mods please tac this.  It's pretty important.
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Another vote for mods to tack this thread!

Arizonian's let's flood McCain's office.
Link Posted: 4/11/2003 12:02:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Yet another vote to tack this important thread.

Here are the letters that I will be sending to my Senators (Chuck & Hillary [banghead]) & to [b]Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist[/b] (it is important that he hears from us as well)...

Dear Senator Schumer,

As a registered voter & life long resident of our state, I would like to bring to your attention The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (S.659), & I strongly urge you to help bring this much needed legislation to a vote, & to vote in favor of it's passage.

S.659 is common sense legislation that will help prevent abuse of the legal system and help curb the growing problem of frivolous lawsuits. These frivolous lawsuits against gun manufacturers for political purposes are a disgrace and abuse of our legal system, and need to be stopped as soon as possible. Furthermore, these reckless lawsuits endanger legitimate American companies & jobs at a time when our national economy needs all the help it can receive.

The U.S. House of Representatives has wisely passed their version of this bill with overwhelming bi-partisan support, and I would urge you & your colleagues to follow suit. In fact, The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act already enjoys 52 Co-Sponsors (eight of which, are Democrats,) & I would like nothing more than to see my Senators from the great state of New York weigh in on the side of good sense, fair legal reform, and justice.

To this end, I once again implore you to lend your full & considerable support to the passage of The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (S.659).

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

XXXXX
View Quote

Dear Senator Frist,

As a registered voter & life long Republican, I would like to bring to your attention The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (S.659), & I strongly urge you, in your capacity as Senate Majority Leader, to help bring this much needed legislation to a vote, & to vote in favor of it's passage.

S.659 is common sense legislation that will help prevent abuse of the legal system and help curb the growing problem of frivolous lawsuits. These frivolous lawsuits against gun manufacturers for political purposes are a disgrace and abuse of our legal system, and need to be stopped as soon as possible. Furthermore, these reckless lawsuits endanger legitimate American companies & jobs at a time when our national economy needs all the help it can receive.

The U.S. House of Representatives has wisely passed their version of this bill with overwhelming bi-partisan support, and I would urge you & your colleagues to follow suit. In fact, The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act already enjoys 52 Co-Sponsors (eight of which, are Democrats,) & President Bush is on record as supporting this legislation. I would like nothing more than to see the U.S. Senate weigh in on the side of good sense, fair legal reform, and justice.

To this end, I once again implore you to lend your full & considerable support to the passage of The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (S.659).

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

XXXXX
View Quote

[i]Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist
461 Dirksen Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510[/i]

[red]Feel free to cut & paste, mix & match, and and generally cannibalize these letters for your own use. Whatever you do, WRITE &/or FAX (don't E-mail)!!![/red]
Link Posted: 4/11/2003 4:32:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Hey NYPatriot,

Just a heads-up, you spelled Frist's name wrong. Hope you haven't sent it yet.

[:)]
Link Posted: 4/11/2003 5:52:34 AM EDT
[#18]
I just sent a big 'thank you' to my two Senators (Georgia) who are co-sponsoring the bill, one of whom is a Democrat.  [^]

It's important to let the good guys know when they're being good!!

Thanks to Saxby Chambliss and Zell Miller!!
Link Posted: 4/11/2003 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I guess the Mods do not think this worthy of a tack so... BTT.
Link Posted: 4/11/2003 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#20]
sorry, not much chance of my FL liberal lacks going for this.  they are party line to the end.
I am frustrated at wasting time/stamp/envelope on them, but i keep trying. [>Q]

we were able to muster some support in the House. [:D]
Link Posted: 4/11/2003 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#21]
This thread [b]really[/b] needs to be tacked, and here's why...

- The House of Reps. version of this bill was passed with broad bi-partisan support (over 100 Democrats voted for it.) In other words, it's a popular bill, who's time is now.

- Pres. Bush has publicly stated that he will sign this bill if it graces his desk. Two down, one to go!

- This legislation has much support in the Senate (52  Co-Sponsors / eight of which, are Democrats). In other words, it already has the votes to pass!!!

[b]The only thing standing in the way of this much needed legislation becoming law is the threat of a filibuster by the radical left wing of the Democratic party!!![/b]

Guys... [i]the time is right for this bill to pass[/i]. The far lefties are becoming increasingly marginalized by their absurd accusations & opposition to a popular President & a popular war.

We need to call them on their threats, and drive this issue home. A barrage of letters & faxes will tip the scales in our favor.  We have the momentum, and they are on the defensive. They are desperate. They are hanging on by their fingernails, and all we need to do is give them the final push off the cliff.

A major victory for our side is well within our grasp. All we need to do is reach out & grab it!

[red]Write, write, & write again!!![/red]  
Link Posted: 4/11/2003 1:01:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Where can I find Sen. McCain's Fax #?
Link Posted: 4/11/2003 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Faxes away [red][size=6]TACK PLEASE[/size=6][/red][0:)]
Link Posted: 4/11/2003 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/11/2003 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#25]
It is odd, I was looking at the lists to see where my POS senators were, and I noticed something.

One of the lists looks a lot different than the other. On one of the lists about 1/3 of the names are people who, just from their last names, would support arms being carried in Israel.

Why don't they like them in America? There aren't any of them on the first list. Odd...
Link Posted: 4/11/2003 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks like my Honorable Sens. Schumer and Clinton are doing a great job representing me. [rolleyes]

Emails sent, for what it's worth...
Link Posted: 4/11/2003 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Ohh how my state ever elected it's two Senators is beyond me.. Neither of them are currently supporting the bill.. [banghead]

I'll gladly send them both a letter but I'm pretty new at this.. What should I say exactly? Or would someone be so kind as to lend me a very well written letter and I'll tag my name along with it? The chance to bring two more votes to our side would be well worth it..

Thanks..
Link Posted: 4/11/2003 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ohh how my state ever elected it's two Senators is beyond me.. Neither of them are currently supporting the bill.. [banghead]

I'll gladly send them both a letter but I'm pretty new at this.. What should I say exactly? Or would someone be so kind as to lend me a very well written letter and I'll tag my name along with it? The chance to bring two more votes to our side would be well worth it..

Thanks..
View Quote

Heh, your state gave us Jumpin Jim Jeffords, and gave the Demos the idea that they could be in power again (the fact that they LOST the Nov election seems to have went right over their heads, as they are acting like they're still the majority)...

I would HOPE that VT has dug up a good loyal GOP candidate to oust Jumpin Jimmy in 04... Any names yet???
Link Posted: 4/11/2003 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I emailed my two thanking them for cosponsoring.  Man its great to live in a level-headed state.
Link Posted: 4/11/2003 8:46:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Guys... It's great that you want to get involved, but it is a well known fact that elected reps. largely [b]ignore[/b] E-mail or even delete it unread in many cases.

In the game of influencing politicians, [b]typed, hand signed letters, faxes, and personal phone calls still reign supreme!!![/b]

Take the extra time & spend the postage. It's worth it in the end.

BTW... here is a quick & easy tool to find the contact info for your elected reps. [url]www.congress.org/congressorg/dbq/officials/[/url]
Link Posted: 4/12/2003 8:13:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/12/2003 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#32]
E-mail Sent!

Printed and sending via snail-mail as well!!!

[VidClipFromStarshipTroopers] [b]Everyone is doing their part. Are you?[/b] [/VidClipFromStarshipTroopers]

[%(] [red]Support BUSHMSTER[/red], and all of our excellent firearms manufacturers!

EricE

Link Posted: 4/12/2003 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#33]
[i]What the hell??? This very important thread was tacked for what...a day? A day & a half tops?!?!?![/i]

I don't know if you guys realize it, but we are a cunt hair's width away from "persuading" the Senate to bring this legislation to a vote, and make it the law of the land, & we can't even keep it on top of General Discussion long enough for it to get more hits than a "who the hell is Imbroglio" or "what's your favorite movie" thread???

C'mon folks... this legislation is two thirds of the way home, & the Senate has the votes to slam dunk it into the law books.

We need to keep the pressure on. We need to create a buzz around this issue (and not just on [b]this[/b] web site.)  [b]Every single fucking registered member of AR15.com should be writing letters to their Senators & to the Senate majority leader before they even think about starting another mundane, soon to be forgotten thread about what they should name their dog, or some such nonsense!!![/b]  

God... if we can't muster the enthusiasm for a bill that is this close to being passed, what makes you think that we are going to rise to the challenge of killing the AW ban?!?!?!  
Link Posted: 4/12/2003 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/12/2003 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Much thanks Sweep! [^]
Link Posted: 4/12/2003 11:53:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Any Ideas as to how this bill could help kill the AWB?
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 9:32:20 AM EDT
[#37]
I am shocked to see that both my senators signed on.[shock]
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Posted by OregonShooter...
Any Ideas as to how this bill could help kill the AWB?
View Quote

Sure do...

- Regardless of any AW ban, there will be no new military style sport utility rifles made if all of the manufacturers are litigated out of existence, & new companies are deterred from even being created.

- Passage of this bill by law makers gets them acclimated to voting for pro-2nd. Amendment legislation, & it shows them that, in spite of what the hard core leftists threaten, there is no political fallout from standing up for the rights of gun owners.

In a sense, it emboldens our reps. to vote pro gun in the future.

- It provides us (2nd. Amendment activists) a real chance at a moral building victory, and gets us in the habit of taking a more proactive roll in the protection of our rights. Trust me... the more often you write, fax, & call your elected reps., the easier it becomes!

- The actual text of The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act contains language that further bolsters and supports the individual rights / guns are for defense, not hunting argument.  This could prove beneficial in future legal challenges to gun control legislation.

So... are you going to write???    
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 4:11:54 PM EDT
[#39]
NYPatriot,
Thanks for posting your well written letters.  I just modified one a bit and emailed it to Sen. McCain.  I also printed one and faxed it to him.  I can't wait for the next election.  I hope that somebody good runs against him.  The only problem is that he has a lot of seniority and that goes a long way in elections.
Thanks again.
Clint
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#40]
I emailed my sorry ass senators from SD.  Looks like Johnson is on board.  I'm sure Daschle is just waiting to see which side will benefit him best.  Man am I pissed that these bastards stole the last election with the deceased Native American vote.
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#41]
GIJoe...you have the right idea, but your execution is a little off, sorry to say.

I realize that sending off a quick E-mail has become second nature for many of us, but trust me when I say that they are not taken nearly as serious as a typed, hand signed letter (in fact, many are deleted, unread)!

The reason is that it [i]is[/i] so easy to send E-mail. A real snail mail letter requires time & effort to write, print, stuff in an envelop, slap a postage stamp on, & drop off at the post office.

In other words, it shows that you are seriously committed to an issue & that you will actually show up at the polls on election day to vote the bums out of office if they don't listen to your opinion, & act accordingly!!!

Please don't take my comments as a slight. They are merely constructive criticism.

Keep up the good work!  
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 5:07:03 PM EDT
[#42]
NYP,
I usually do he written letter deal, but I was under the impression that this bill was on the fast track for a vote.  I totally agree that a no kiddin' written letter is the way to go.  And I alway let the the intended reader know that i VOTE and support those that protect my rights!

Link Posted: 4/13/2003 9:40:09 PM EDT
[#43]
A couple more pointers...

- Don't just write to a Reps. Washington offices... Send copies of your letter to 1 or 2 of their home district offices (you can always find these addresses on a particular Reps. web site.) I doubt they cross-reference the names on the letters, so this tactic is a good force multiplier.

- Follow up is very important!!! Sending a couple of letters is just the beginning. A few weeks after I send out letters, I like to fax an identical copy of the letter to the Reps. office as a pleasant reminder that the issue is still important and that I am not going away.
A couple of weeks later, follow up with a polite phone call to your friendly Rep. Ask for their position on the issue. Voice your opinion, tell them how you want them to vote, and thank them for their time.

Wait a few weeks, and start the process over again!

Keep the pressure on!!!
Link Posted: 4/14/2003 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#44]
 I get to be lazy, since Sen. Craig helped push the bill to the floor in the first place.  Both my Senators are onboard by default.
Link Posted: 4/14/2003 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Sorry, AgentFork... You [i]don't[/i] get to be lazy.

Have you written...

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist
                           461 Dirksen Senate Office Building
                           Washington, DC 20510

... I didn't think so!!! [:)]
Link Posted: 4/14/2003 8:33:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Thank GOD I'm from TEXAS.
Link Posted: 4/14/2003 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#47]
 Aw damnit...now I have to do something.  Thanks for nothing!!![;)]
Link Posted: 4/16/2003 8:42:12 AM EDT
[#48]
I sent my "iffy" senator Sen. Max Baucus (D-MT) an email about this and he responded with this email morning.

"Dear Mr. Walker:

Thank you for contacting me regarding S. 659, the "Protection of
Lawful Commerce in Arms Act."  I appreciate hearing from you on this
issue.

As you know, this bill addresses the growing problem of lawsuits
filed with the intention of penalizing the firearms industry by attempting
to hold manufacturers and dealers liable for the criminal acts of third
parties.  The legislation addresses this problem by creating a system by
which the Secretary of Commerce compiles a list of manufacturers or
sellers, and those entities are protected from restrictions arising from
these lawsuits.

In the past, I have supported common sense efforts to curb violence
when those efforts have not infringed upon the rights of the American
people to keep and bear arms.  Regular, law-abiding Montanans that
purchase firearms should not be unduly burdened with regulation, or have
their privacy infringed upon.

I feel that gun manufacturers should not be held responsible for the
misuse of their products.  I feel that criminals should take
responsibility for their own actions rather than lay blame elsewhere.  For
these reasons, I have decided to cosponsor S. 2268.  The bill is currently
pending with the Senate Committee on the Judiciary.

We must be careful that efforts to prevent crime do not infringe
upon the constitutional rights of sportsmen and women, and other
law-abiding gun owners to purchase and use firearms.  As a gun owner, I
know this is especially important in states such as Montana where hunting
and shooting sports are an integral part of our life.  I will continue
working for common-sense efforts to reduce violent crime in ways that will
not infringe on the rights of Americans.

Thanks again for getting in touch, and please don't hesitate in the
future to let me know of your views or concerns on issues of importance to
you.

With best personal regards, I am
Senator Max Baucus"

My other senator, Conrad Burns, supports this legislation and it always progun. So, we'll see if Mr. Baucus puts his vote where is mouth is.
Link Posted: 4/16/2003 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#49]
I sent an e-mail AND 3 copies of the same letter to three different offices of Sen Warner today. Will post if I get a reply.
Link Posted: 4/16/2003 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#50]
My senators are in my cell phone's speed dial!!!

DeWine AND Voinovich (BOTH are fence-sitters) have been called!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top