Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2001 3:47:56 PM EDT
I heard a rumor that the federal assault weapon ban has to be renewed or reenacted in 2003. Is this true? Never heard of it before. [?][?][?]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#1]
basicly yes
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#2]
it can sunset.  which means, and guys please correct me if i'm wrong, that if no action is taken on it, then it will just die a quiet death.  however, i doubt that will happen.  lots of laws are like this.  the clean air act or clean water act or both had to be "re-negotiated"
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#3]
It will sunset.  However, being a total pessimist when it comes to anti gun legislation, I doubt the gun grabbers will let it die without new legislation to replace it.
Just my opinion....
z
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#4]
An election year, which IMHO means that there's a very good chance that it wil be continued. [:|]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 4:21:57 PM EDT
[#5]
unless we make our viewpoints known, than maby we have a chance.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#7]
The real question is how are you going to vote in 2004 should GW renew the ban or increase its scope?  We need to let GW know he will likely loose the support of many gun owners if he does not veto the bill.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I tell ya what guys....If the republicans hold the house and get a decent majority and the can keep the senate and gain a clear majority, that ban will not get renewed.  We have to do our part though, and that means writting and calling your congresscritter and senators and let them know you vote pro-gun.

Yes it is a political issue, but remember this.  The Dems lost control of the congress, in large part for passing this AW legislation.  The facts are clear, that these weapons are not used in crimes.  They have no facts on their side to continue with this nonsense.  It is up to our side, to make sure all the sheep know what is what.

patriot-dave, you make a good point and I will say that if GW signs any anti-gun legislation or renews this ban, I will not vote for him again...period.  And I am a staunch republican.  But I am tired of these spinless so-called leaders going along to get along.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't tell me that you guys think that voting will do any good whatsoever................ Politics is about power, and in no time in history has a ruling oligarchy voluntarily relinquished power.  If you think that there is any difference between the two parties, look to NAFTA, GATT, World Bank, etc.  
 It will take a second revolution or civil war, depending who's side you're on and who wins.  If you don't think that there is a second revolt bubbling away on the back burner, you are deaf, dumb. and blind.................[uzi] [grenade] [uzi]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Is the Hi Cap ban apart of that?
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#12]
You better realize that many pro-gun types will support a further ban.  If the ban goes away, that ragged out pre-ban Colt you just paid $1500 for is now worth $400 maybe.  Do you think the gun industry will like that?

What if Bush does have to support an extension to hold the line and stay in office?  You'd rather vote for a Gore/Clinton type Democrat who is guaranteed to push worse anti-gun laws into effect?

I do agree that the ban sucks and should be abolished.  When the time comes we need to do several things.  We all need to ring our Congressmen and Senators phones off th hook on the issue.  We need to fill their e-mail to capacity.  We need to overflow their mailboxes and make them see the light!  We also need to demand that the NRA and all these other pro-gun groups we donate money to pressure these policticians.  Tell them to wine and dine them, buy them whores, buy them a house if that's what it takes, but get it done!
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 5:39:31 PM EDT
[#14]
VIVA LA REVELUSION![sniper]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 1:08:14 AM EDT
[#16]
The chances of the ban going away are between slim and none. And slim has just left the building.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 4:33:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Gentlemen, make no mistake - the 1994 Clinton Bill will be reinstated in 2004.  There is absolutely no way the Dems or the Repubbies will allow this to sunset and just wither away.

Picture this newsflash on the front page of every major newspaper (with the TV to follow):

[b]"Republicans and Bush want to put assault weapons in children's hands!"[/b]

It will happen.  It will be reported like this and the politicos will not be able to withstand the media bombardment.

Keep collecting those "standard capacity" magazines.  The new ban may even be more restrictive.

CMOS
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 4:38:27 AM EDT
[#18]
"Keep collecting those "standard capacity" magazines. The new ban may even be more restrictive."

Exactly correct.  You have been given a gift of a few years to get the job done.  

The current law WILL sunset, only to be replaced by something MUCH more restrictive.  As long as the workplace/school shootings continue we will be lucky to hold on to what we have.

Link Posted: 4/26/2001 4:54:09 AM EDT
[#19]
As one bill sunsets.......a new dawn is breaking on another.......
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 5:05:07 AM EDT
[#20]
I really wish you people would vote Libertarian.

Link Posted: 4/26/2001 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Why? Voting Libertarian is just throwing your vote away?  If you would just wake up and vote republican they will let you keep your guns a little longer than the democrats. Gun control on the installment plan if you will.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#22]
throwing my vote away fdont give that crap
im showing em im not going to take there CRAP anymore by not voting for em
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 11:33:10 AM EDT
[#23]
I think you guys put too little faith in W and republicans in general. Anyone whose watched c-span when the dems are pushing for a gun bill knows that lots of republicans fight tooth and nail to defeat said bills. Name one peice of federal anti-gun legislation that has passed since the republicans took control (even while komrade clinton was in office.) I think any new bill will just get bottled up in a House committee.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 11:40:35 AM EDT
[#24]
It will expire, then be replaced with a more restrictive law.  

Even if it does sunset, most states will eventually have their own bans that [i]do not sunset.[/i]

What we really need to do is organize a peaceful march of gun owners; about 100,000 or so would be great.  That would show W and the Republicans that we are a force, and our votes DO matter.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#25]
BTW, the reason you can't buy a new Steyer AUG has nothing to do with the 1994 crime bill.  G. Bush Sr. signed an executive order banning a lot of cool guns from importation.  A republican president, and the father of our current president, did what the other two branches of government could or would not do up to that point.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#26]
dont foget get Reagons Black monday

kinda like a AW ban but with true AW and other MG's
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 4:26:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I agree that it will be difficult to get it to sunset but not impossible. Look at how public opinion has swayed since the million mom march. Many people aren't buying into their bs as quickly as before and some have abandoned them altogether. But vote Libertarian! Don't be an idiot. Do have any idea how hard it is to sway  moderates more toward the hard right! You will never get the Lib. Party off the ground and you will destroy your rights in the process by handing elections to liberals. Think about it! It is far easier to slowly move the republican party further our way while dragging the majority of them (present Rep.) with us. Don't think so? Then answer this- Gore was basically handed the election--incumbnent, school voilence, a BOOMING economy, and as an adversary a man whose father was not reelected by the people that he was now asking to support him. Gore basically had most of the black vote, most of the women votes, most every true hearted union member and the vast majority of seniors. Who were really against him--TRUE Christians, Gun Nuts ( as the media would call us), and anti-abortionists. Also when your thinking about this remember all the people you know that own guns and/or hunt that voted for Gore and all the people that are against abortion but still voted for Gore. Tell me we are not gaining ground and I will call you a liar. So hang in there and VOTE, BUG the crap out of whoever will listen, and put your voice in your reps ear be it state,local or federal.Sorry for the Rant but Libertarian! give me a break!!!! Vote Smart! Then let them know why they are there.

Oh and one other thing. Some of you who were speaking of a revolution, if we cannot stick together in a political party then how in the hell are we gonna stick together in a revolution. Things start to get a little out of your scope on where they should be headed so you jump ship and start a new force. Now I know what you are gonna say, "well if we all vote libertarian then we will be a strong party" GUESS AGAIN! If that were true then we would not be here discussing this because things would never have been allowed to get here in the first place. The truth of the matter is that we NEED moderates to understand our side of the coin and not be afraid to go along on the ride.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You better realize that many pro-gun types will support a further ban.  If the ban goes away, that ragged out pre-ban Colt you just paid $1500 for is now worth $400 maybe.  Do you think the gun industry will like that?
View Quote

[b][red][size=4]YES![/size=4][/red][/b]
Being able to sell their wares in the configurations the public want will increase sales of new merchandise vs. driving up the prices of used, "ragged out" weapons. Manufacturers can't stay in business unless they sell new - used doesn't make them a dime.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Death by alzheimer's or death by ebola, wow.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
the reason you can't buy a new Steyer AUG has nothing to do with the 1994 crime bill.  G. Bush Sr. signed an executive order banning a lot of cool guns from importation
View Quote

Actually only Chinese AK's. Clinton was responsible for all the further executive orders dealing with the "Sporting Purposes" provisions of the GCA68.

And to answer the question, Yes, the ban sunsets. But it may be replaced by a simular or worse bill.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 10:43:03 PM EDT
[#32]
and the usas 12 and all that other crap that
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 7:01:14 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm almost certain that the Bush EO dealt with 12-15 firearms and that the AK's, Uzi's and AUG were on it.  I'm not willing to bet my life on it, but I'm pretty sure.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

VIVA LA Spell Check
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 8:17:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Yep voting Republican "just because" for the last 100 years has worked real well so far I  see. They are really swaying to our side now guys. I wouldn't be surprised to see them dump the "new world order", Free trade agreements and gun bans next week. Not to mention the rest of the constitution that has been tossed out the window.

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result does not make much sense.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 8:28:26 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

I sure hope that is not true.  If it is, then I will lose all faith in everything.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 3:17:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By world wolf:
I heard a rumor that the federal assault weapon ban has to be renewed or reenacted in 2003. Is this true? Never heard of it before. [?][?][?]
View Quote

It would end much sooner if Americans WOULD STAND AGAINST THE TYRANTS!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top