Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2015 7:37:06 PM EDT
Hypothetical numbers of course since I am ER based

Say you are providing care to 1000 patients in an HMO system and have a budget of  $1,500,000.00
Ten patients have hepatitis C and sign up for treatment at $100,000 each which uses $1,000,000 of budget

Do you treat them

One of my old residents I taught asked me this last night

I don't have an answer
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd consider how they got hep c as the normal is IV drug use, and snorting IIRC. If it was due to a transfusions prior to 1992 they would get first, IV drug users last if at all.  Is there a way to ascertain which ones will have the best outcome.  If so those first others too bad.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:49:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Lets look at this from the Affordable Care Act viewpoint. You should put them on the now cheaper old treatments like pegasys, ribavirin, and victrelis. If they complete the treatment, then great. If not, then In a few years, the cost of a liver transplant might come down, or they might die from something else. Either way, the ACA just saved your budget.

(no, I am not kidding you about this answer, either...)
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hypothetical numbers of course since I am ER based

Say you are providing care to 1000 patients in an HMO system and have a budget of  $1,500,000.00
Ten patients have hepatitis C and sign up for treatment at $100,000 each which uses $1,000,000 of budget

Do you treat them

One of my old residents I taught asked me this last night

I don't have an answer
View Quote

I don't think you have a choice, brah.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:36:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Bump for night crew
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:40:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Crowder did a video years ago on socialized health care

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:06:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Morning bump
I fail to believe there are folks without opinions

There will be some painful choices in healthcare the coming years
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:09:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Is there currently an option not to treat them?  (legally speaking)

Or is your question more about the morals and ethics of treating them at the expense of others?
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:52:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there currently an option not to treat them?  (legally speaking)

Or is your question more about the morals and ethics of treating them at the expense of others?
View Quote

My question has more to do with ethics and morals

Should this Dr treat 500 pts with Diabetes and hypertension or one with Hep C?

Kind of along the thoughts of the mothers at Stalingrad who let the weakest child die of starvation so the lesser weak child might live

And there is always an option to not treat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top