Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2015 2:39:55 PM EDT
TL/DR CSB version. Landlady is a drunken pill head, demanding money when money isn't due, wants to change due date, showed up at house, cops called, harassment charges pressed by me.

Rented this house in April. The contract states rent is due the 15th cause the last tenants stayed past the 1st.

After a month it becomes apparent the landlady is a drunken pill head and the only reason she has this house is cause her father left it to her with a stipulation that she can't sell it. So she rents it out and lives in a single wide made in the 70s across town.

I would take her the check but it became a problem. She needed cash, and wanted me to give her cash for rent or rides to the bank to cash it. None of which I would do, I want proof I paid her.

So I start mailing the check. This leads to her showing up without notice via a cab, demanding cash. Then she wants rent a week early. Then she decides that she thinks we should pay on the 1st, not prorated or anything, basically trying to get more money quicker.

We refuse all this bs and begin ignoring her calls and will not answer the door when she shows up.
This leads to voice mails of her cussing us and making threats to come get her money.
Then one weekend my wife's car is in the shop, me and my kids are out shooting, so it looks like nobody is home. The bitch tried to open the door and come in, not remembering I changed the locks. My wife snatched open the door and threatened to have her arrested. After another set of 15 cussing and threatening calls I come home after one such threat and find a key broke off in the door.

Up to this point we have avoided calling the police cause we expected to get the "this is a civil issue and gray area" speach.

Halloween day, we get more cussing threats about coming over to get money or she's going to break every window out, of her own house.
I leave with the kids, my wife will leave 15 minutes later in her car to go get our niece. I get to the end of the neighborhood and see crazy bitch in a cab heading to our house. I call and warn the wife and tell her to record video, then I call the police.
I pull up and see the crazy lady trying to open my side door but the police pull up so I decided to explain things to him and let them handle it.
The idiot starts off immediately with civil issue talk. Then the crazy lady walks around through the gate to the backyard. I tell the cop she's trying to break in and at that moment we both hear her slamming something into the back glass door. At that point I tell the cop fuck it get back your car I'll handle it. He runs ahead of me and tells me to get back in my car, which I didn't. We both round the corner to see crazy lady flip over a garden wagon full of my tools.
The cop runs her name talks to her but refused to arrest her for anything as expected.

So I spent my Monday at the courthouse filling out paperwork to press charges for harassment. Thinking about filing a lawsuit as well for all the bs she's put us through and moving expenses when we do move. Only reason we are still here is that we might be moving out of state by years end, so finding someone willing to rent for 2 months probably isn't going to happen.

Btw rent has always been paid on time, per the contract, only exception was a single day late cause my job kept me out of town longer than expected. This woman literally starts calling us for rent a week or more before it's due.

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:43:48 PM EDT
[#1]
You know what you got to do Munson.

Kidding aside. Good luck and start shopping for another place.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:46:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Whats the contract look like?
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Got injunctions against harassment in your state? Get one, have it served, then mail your checks as the rental agreement allows.

Or just move the fuck out.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh hell yeah!  

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:49:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Got injunctions against harassment in your state? Get one, have it served, then mail your checks as the rental agreement allows.

View Quote

The court clerk said she will file a order of protection or something like that. I need to check on the progress on that and the warrant.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm President Charlie!

First thing that came to mind. Sorry. Continue....
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#7]
One whiskey, one shot and one beer.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#8]
She's crazy. She's just waiting for you to leave so she can break in and steal all your stuff. Get out now.

Do you go to church? Heck go to any church, explain your situation, see if they can hook you up with some place you can stay for 2 months, especially since you'd be willing to pay and are not looking for a handout.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#9]
You need to get a PPO against her, next time she shows up police will have to arrest her.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't just move out, you could be in breach of contract and be liable for damage/$.

You are doing the right thing. Too bad you have to deal with such a shit head, especially with kids in the house.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#11]
If she is not in costudy stay armed,  stay close, to your family and make your wife arm herself.

I'm not even joking. There will be retaliation
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Put your stuff in storage and stay at an extended stay motel for two months if you have to. It doesn't sound like staying there is any better option.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Normal generic rental agreement, I think my wife got it from her law firm as the owner didn't have one. She is completely unstable as a landlord, no contract or rules on her end.

Her father owned a pharmacy and invested in lots of commercial and residential property. He didn't trust his daughter to carry on at life without wasting everything on drugs. So he left her this house only, then millions in property and trusts to her son that has disowned her.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
One whiskey bourbon, one shot scotch, and one beer.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Marlboroman79 thread

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Video the final walkthrough.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 3:01:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

FIFY
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One whiskey bourbon, one shot scotch, and one beer.

FIFY

Damnit, i knew that didnt sound right.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 3:03:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Normal generic rental agreement, I think my wife got it from her law firm as the owner didn't have one. She is completely unstable as a landlord, no contract or rules on her end.

Her father owned a pharmacy and invested in lots of commercial and residential property. He didn't trust his daughter to carry on at life without wasting everything on drugs. So he left her this house only, then millions in property and trusts to her son that has disowned her.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good lord.  Well, it's a good thing he knew enough to not let his daughter burn through his entire fortune on drugs.

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 3:05:08 PM EDT
[#20]
File a restraining order.  Your family fears for their safety, right?  
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Don't just move out, you could be in breach of contract and be liable for damage/$.

You are doing the right thing. Too bad you have to deal with such a shit head, especially with kids in the house.
View Quote

We have an appointment with a lawyer next week. But in my looking online I believe she broke the lease with the first harassing call, no 48 hour notice of a visit, etc.

Haven't heard if she's been arrested yet or not, so far no contact from her since Halloween. But I don't if it's cause she figured out we aren't playing trailer trash games or she's still in the jail, I don't think any of her family would post bail for her.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I bet if you split early she won't have the fortitude to sue.  Kiss the deposit goodbye anyway you look at it--unless you sue  
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Just sounds like a bad situation.  Id file a restraining order and have it served the day you leave and go to another place.  Something tells me crack pot isnt finished yet
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#24]
That sucks! Move out as quick as you can.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 3:38:57 PM EDT
[#25]
When you move out eventually, be sure to take video and pictures of the condition of the house.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#26]
LOL
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Watch this movie and get some pointers on how to proceed.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 4:02:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Is she three feet tall?

Is her name Pearl?  

Did you give her the MONEEEEEEEEEEEE?
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 4:07:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Kidding aside. Good luck and start shopping for another place.
View Quote

"What is it about good sex that makes me have to crap?  You really knocked something loose."
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Keep everything documented w/LEO etc.  Take pictures and keep a log of encounters.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 4:18:20 PM EDT
[#31]

Came here to post this... ROFL
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
When you move out eventually, be sure to take video and pictures of the condition of the house.
View Quote

Yea I've been keeping everything, move in walk through video, threats on voice mail, letters.

Wish I knew how to post voice mails, some good drunken material in them.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

best choices
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
The court clerk said she will file a order of protection or something like that. I need to check on the progress on that and the warrant.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, and when she shows up again or even calls she goes to jail, second time she might get a year.,

My Family owned a lot of rental properties , we were usually on the other end of the crazies.

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#36]

You guys understand that "Munson" could not pay the rent so he had to give it to the bag.
OP's issue is a little different
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top