Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2015 11:07:18 PM EDT

I have an unanodized upper to put on one of my 80% lowers.  Might as well finish it off with a stainless barrel and unandozed rail.

Anyone?

I know the anodizing is there for protection against wear.  But I still wanna do it.  Maybe I'll polish the whole thing up too.  It'll be a unique piece to bury in the safe.

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:10:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Anodizing isn't for wear. It is for corrosion.

There are ones out there and ones in other colors. One was in the industry section here and I picked up a lightweight free float from them.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have an unanodized upper to put on one of my 80% lowers.  Might as well finish it off with a stainless barrel and unandozed rail.

Anyone?

I know the anodizing is there for protection against wear.  But I still wanna do it.  Maybe I'll polish the whole thing up too.  It'll be a unique piece to bury in the safe.

View Quote

Go get any rail you like, then take it an appropriate metal finisher for clear ano. Not as durable as a typical hard anodize, but better than raw aluminum.
Likely, whoever can do the finish, will include a strip of the original in their minimum cost to you anyway.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:12:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There are ones out there and ones in other colors. One was in the industry section here and I picked up a lightweight free float from them.
View Quote
It'll be a safe queen for the most part.  I have others that get abused.  Not worried about corrosion.

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:14:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Go get any rail you like, then take it an appropriate metal finisher for clear ano. Not as durable as a typical hard anodize, but better than raw aluminum.

Likely, whoever can do the finish, will include a strip of the original in their minimum cost to you anyway.

A.W.D.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone?

A.W.D.
Strips that easily?  That's surprising.  Will clear anodizing bond well with a polished surface, or does it need some texture?

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:16:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

It'll be a safe queen for the most part.  I have others that get abused.  Not worried about corrosion.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless you live in a zero humidity environment, when you put the Al rail onto the steel barrel nut, it is going to literally flake away the aluminum over time. Search galvanic corrosion.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:19:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Unless you live in a zero humidity environment, when you put the Al rail onto the steel barrel nut, it is going to literally flake away the aluminum over time. Search galvanic corrosion.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I suppose that's correct.  

Looks like clear anodizing will be the way to go if I want something along those lines.

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:20:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But its a safe queen.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:32:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Strips that easily?  That's surprising.  Will clear anodizing bond well with a polished surface, or does it need some texture?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone?

A.W.D.

They usually use an acid to strip the aluminum away. Or sandblasting but that's a lot more aggressive. ALWAYS get the clear coat, as others have said galvanic corrosion is a bitch.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top