Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2015 10:10:30 AM EDT
I have an 'in sink erator' garbage disposal.  It's a Badger 1 and is probably 12 years old.  It just makes a electrical "hum" when switched on.  I have made sure nothing is jamming it.  It turns freely by hand or by the allen wrench on the underside of the unit.  The power reset is ok (it's getting power anyway).  Is there another way to confirm it's dead?  Or, is it just dead?
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#1]
You did everything that I know to do.

Check this link

Disposal problems
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Get you Sig out. You want to make sure it's dead!

Seriously, check Fixya or one of the other DIY sites. They helped me a number of times.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:14:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Drive to Home Depot with $80
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:14:51 AM EDT
[#4]
12 years? The motor is probably toast. If you confirmed power is going to it which it sounds like it is, then the only thing I can think of would be to pull it out and test the motor on a bench. Probably easier to just go get a new one.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:15:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Probably dead. Get a newer, larger unit you will thank yourself. My house came equipped w/ the lowest hp Badger, and while it ground stuff up it did it poorly and the pipe would clog. I upgraded to a larger model and it is like night and day. It grinds fast and with less noise. It can eat Chix bones, do a good number on green scrub pads (dont ask) and I have yet had a clog due to food particles not being ground up.

Installation took 45 minutes.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Get a broom or something like that and stick the handle down in the sink hole and use the broom handle to manually turn the grinders.
Make sure its off when you do it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Drive to Home Depot with $80
View Quote

Although everyone has confirmed my suspicions, I think this is what I'll do.  Thank you everyone.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:25:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Same thing happend to me. There was a small measuring spoon stuck in there and once i cleared the spoon it was back to normal. Sounds like you have a jam. Look in there with a flashlight.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Same thing happend to me. There was a small measuring spoon stuck in there and once i cleared the spoon it was back to normal. Sounds like you have a jam. Look in there with a flashlight.
View Quote

I had this issue this week. Wife ran a plastic spook through it and jammed it up. If it turns freely from the bottom, but won't run.....Dead.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Do yourself a favor, save a shitload of money, and buy a Waste King off Amazon.

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:15:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I had this issue this week. Wife ran a plastic spook through it and jammed it up. If it turns freely from the bottom, but won't run.....Dead.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have a reset button on the bottom of the unit?
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:09:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL, just came here to post this.  Looked at HD and they wanted $279 (~$300 after tax).  I checked Amazon while I was there and found the Waste King L8000 for $133.74 delivered.  I opted for next day delivery and they included that for free.  So, I have the 1 HP Waste King being delivered today.  Lifetime warranty.  Boom.

Waste King L-8000

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:26:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

LOL, just came here to post this.  Looked at HD and they wanted $279 (~$300 after tax).  I checked Amazon while I was there and found the Waste King L8000 for $133.74 delivered.  I opted for next day delivery and they included that for free.  So, I have the 1 HP Waste King being delivered today.  Lifetime warranty.  Boom.

Waste King L-8000

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Waste King L-8000

They stand behind their warranty as well.  Mine died, 2 minutes on the phone, and a day or two later the local appliance shop was out to replace it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Evolution Excel is the one I have in my house and the one I recommend at work.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top