Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/3/2015 4:17:13 PM EDT
In my search for a new wallet, I keep getting these new, trendy sort of things recommended to me that are pretty much just card holders with a money clip on them.
I like to be able to quickly flip through a wallet and find the bills I need without unwravling a "wad".
Also, I notice that almost always the only one at the register with cash.
Nothing against cards, until I get behind someone that forgets their PIN, or keeps swiping and swiping hoping that their card will work.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I use cash almost exclusively.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:20:53 PM EDT
[#2]
go to macys

walk to the men's section

grab black bi-fold wallet

buy it

throw out the big plastic photo holder booklet or other weird crap in the wallet

done

get a credit card

buy stuff with the card

go on your bank website and transfer money from checking to the card every couple of weeks

or pay the amount when the bill comes due

/thread
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I use cash all the time. I prefer it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I use cash exclusively for hookers and blow.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:25:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In my search for a new wallet, I keep getting these new, trendy sort of things recommended to me that are pretty much just card holders with a money clip on them.
I like to be able to quickly flip through a wallet and find the bills I need without unwravling a "wad".
Nothing against cards, until I get behind someone that forgets their PIN, or keeps swiping and swiping hoping that their card will work.
View Quote

I got nothing against people that use cash, until I get behind someone that has to sift through 50 bills and figure out which ones to use to pay for their stuff and wait for the cashier to find their counterfeit pen so they can check every 20 they accepted for a $200 purchase, then hold them all up to the light to look for the watermark and security strip.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:25:32 PM EDT
[#6]
In this thread, people show their age.

Can't wait to see what happens if all those pay-with-your-phone services take off and get rid of credit cards, too.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:27:49 PM EDT
[#7]
nope. the nature of my business is such that I usually get tipped out pretty well so the cash from tips tends to be my "walking around" money

for the record. I'm 26, not all young folk are opposed to cash. not sure where GD gets some of their "facts" about millennials
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  The only time I don't use cash is at the pump.  Otherwise I always pay with cash.  No wallet, just a wad of cash in my pocket.  I usually have a good amount on me also.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Can't wait to see what happens if all those pay-with-your-phone services take off and get rid of credit cards, too.
View Quote

30ish

Uses cash almost all the time
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:31:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I haven't used cash in years

Swipe credit card
Get credit card statement
Pay off balance every month
Reap CC rewards

Cash is for chumps
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hookers in Canada take credit cards and EMT.

I hate cash, just tap my card and peel out.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I use it a lot but not around my wife.

She thinks all I should carry is the credit card and a little cash.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:31:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I use cash or credit.

Never debit.

Having cash on hand has helped on several occasions.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Cash is king.  Has always been king....will remain king.  

If folks are too dense to figure out the obvious advantages.......
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I use cash from time to time, particularly when I'm trying to keep my expenses down.  Using cash helps with this vs using a card.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#17]
i like cash for small frivolous items
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I keep a couple larger denomination bills on me in case I need it for something (like card machine is down or power out etc) other than - card.

I stopped using cash when I had to go in an PAY for gas before pumping.  No thanks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#19]
You are the one who used idiot in your thread title.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
i like cash for small frivolous items
View Quote

like hookers and blow
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:39:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

30ish

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

30ish

50ish

virtually never uses cash ever

uses credit cards for everything

back in ancient times, if you used a credit card, they would go thru this big routine with this machine that would make a carbon paper print of your card and then you'd have to wait until the statement came to see everything you bought

it was just a big waste of time

nowadays, you swipe your card, the deal is done in seconds, you can see your purchases on the computer 5 minutes later, and you can transfer money over the computer every day if you like

plus you get points, which add up to some serious money, I'll bet they give me $1000+ a year in statement credits

but apparently counting out germ covered pieces of paper fascinates some people, so have at it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

nope. the nature of my business is such that I usually get tipped out pretty well so the cash from tips tends to be my "walking around" money

for the record. I'm 26, not all young folk are opposed to cash. not sure where GD gets some of their "facts" about millennials
View Quote

You must have missed the tweet.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Old guy here. My stuff has been hacked a couple of times but I keep a close eye on things and have caught it so far.
Cash for most things.  Credit card online.  Debit card very, very rarely.  I'm extremely leery of the phone pay thing.  I'll wait and see what kind of scams, fraud and theft shows up first and let them work out the bugs.  When I receive cash as payment (not as change) I check the bills as best I can.

I pay all of my regular monthly bills online (mortgage, utilities, etc.), so I am not averse to technology.  
eta  Trust no one.  Everyone is out to take what you have.  You have it, they want it.  
lol

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

Amazon.com doesn't accept cash.  

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:43:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I use cash for most purchases under $5 and for tips.  Everything else goes on the credit card.

Oh, and it's handy for splitting a single food bill among a group for things like delivery orders.

I like to keep some cash on me and an emergency $20 bill in my truck just in case.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me know when you can roll up a credit card and snort blow with it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

apparently
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Maybe you could carry around a sack of gold coins?  
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

50ish

back in ancient times, if you used a credit card, they would go thru this big routine with this machine that would make a carbon paper print of your card and then you'd have to wait until the statement came to see everything you bought

nowadays, you swipe your card, the deal is done in seconds, you can see your purchases on the computer 5 minutes later, and you can transfer money over the computer every day if you like

plus you get points, which add up to some serious money, I'll bet they give me $1000+ a year in statement credits

but apparently counting out germ covered pieces of paper fascinates some people, so have at it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

30ish

50ish

I think they like finding change under car seats, in couch cushions and on dressers.  They must consider it a payday of sorts.

Also, bitching about how cashiers can't make change anymore is an important small talk topic for them.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#30]
It's a rare occasion that I use cash.

About the only time is at a coffee shop or bar.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#31]

I do occasionally

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

30ish

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

30ish

30ish, I use a mix of cash and card.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#33]
According to this thread you are not, "the only idiot that uses cash in public."  

Me, I prefer to get free money to use my credit card (points), convenience, and to have extra purchase protection while at it.  It doesnt take some sort of special level of intelligence to understand that you are spending real money when using plastic and to not spend more money than you have.  It is really simple.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cash is king.
I almost always carry between $30-$80 on me.
Sometimes even more.
And yes I still use a CC at times and basically only use a debit card at the pay at the pump or the grocery store.

Funny story that happened a few months ago here.
Our mail room keeps a small amount of petty cash so employees can make change purchasing stamps for their personal mail which actually includes bills with checks inside.
So we had some young milleniel gal come down and needed a little over $3 in stamps and tried to use here fucking debit card...at work... for the purchase.
Mail guy says we can't do that.
Her ...I don't carry cash.
Him..Sorry,no stamps.
Frankly I am astounded people don't even carry $5-$10 on them.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#35]
I typically pay for lunch/dinner out with cash.  Typically saves time, esp. if you're eating with coworkers and everyone else has a card.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:57:05 PM EDT
[#36]
yes, you are

I use cash for specific transactions that are preplanned. If I need a $2 trinket at the gas station or a $9 hamburger downtown, it goes on the card.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#37]
I rarely use cash.  Why would I?  I can use my debit card and since I'm not a fucking idiot, I'm able to keep accurate track of what I take out.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#38]
I use cash, but sitting on that big, fat wallet?  

Hellooooo sciatica!
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:04:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Almost never use cash. In fact, I rarely even carry any cash, outside of my "emergency" money.

Now, if someone wanted to pay me to use cash, then I'd use cash.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:05:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Things in the wallet.  Some cash in various denominations, DL, CPL, condoms.  Except for the CPL, same as when I was in high school.  Some things never change.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Cash dont pay me cash back rewards or magically appear back in my pocket if my wallet gets stolen.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:06:48 PM EDT
[#44]
iuse my credit card for online buying and at big buisnesses.  walmart/ costco/ olive garden etc.  i pay cash for small restaurants and usually anything under $20.  both times i had my number compromised it was after eating at a small mom and pops  place.  never used debit cards in my life.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#45]
I use cash on occasion
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm in my late 20s. The following assumes you're responsible enough to pay off your CC monthly.

I usually like to carry a couple hundred bucks worth of cash for the times when the saying "cash is king" really rings true. However, 90+% of what I buy goes on the Avion Visa, pretty much, if the place takes visa, that's what I use. Why would I pay in cash when I can get points on a credit card? Whether you have a cash back card, air miles, some other travel rewards type card, you might as well be getting some sort of reward for spending your money. In my case, I've got enough points for several flights anywhere in the world that can also be used for hotels/whatever. That's probably close to $10K worth of "free" stuff that I wouldn't have had if I paid cash for everything.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Dislike cash. Rarely carry any.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would imagine it's been at least 7 months since I paid cash for anything.
I have nothing against it, its just that I don't seem to end up using it. I have had the same $20 note in my wallet for somewhere around 7 months.

Either....
Credit card 'paywave' , Normal debit card swipe, instant bank transfer from the phone or I have a couple of cash equivalent proximity cards. (pre-loaded cash, mostly used for transport and parking etc)
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I haven't used cash in years

blah, blah, blah

Cash is for chumps
View Quote

Well Cletus it's kinda hard to buy guns at a yard sale, flea market, or FTF with a card.

With cash in hand you are always in the game instead of running to a ATM when you happen upon a deal.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top