Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/31/2015 11:31:59 PM EDT

Well, my family picked up the mystical Jack Daniel's No. 27 Gold for me in a duty free shop overseas.  This is twice charcoal filtered, like Gentleman Jack, but it is also "twice barreled" - once in charred new oak barrels, and secondly in maple barrels.  Honestly, I am currently just afraid to drink it, but I'm sure that will pass.  Supposedly, JD only produced 500 cases of it, worldwide, so far.  It's supposedly as smooth as a baby's bottom - we're talking, reportedly, "put some of the finest Scotch to shame" smooth.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:33:40 PM EDT
[#1]
tear into that shit!  what good is it just sitting there?
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:34:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Hell no, I didn't buy it not to drink it.

I will, however, fight the urge to pee so that I may get my money's worth.

Be sure to post a AAR about it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:35:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Mix it up with Rocky Top Cola and city tap water ice.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:36:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Whats something like that cost?
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:36:49 PM EDT
[#5]

That looks quite yummy!

I'd say, start your evening with a taste or two if that quality liquor, and then switch to the regular stuff. It'll make it last longer and also allow your palate to appreciate the quality as well.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:37:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

tear into that shit!  what good is it just sitting there?
View Quote

Trust me brother, I will, in due course, and I'll provide a full report.

If this were to REALLY take off overseas, I suspect JD might consider releasing it as a super premium state-side expression.

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:39:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a bottle of JD gold medal edition that I purchased at the distillery on my 21st Bday. It was signed by the master distiller who was about to retire. I wont drink that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:39:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

I think they paid somewhere in the general neighborhood of $100-$200, but it was a gift, so I did not ask.

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:40:15 PM EDT
[#9]
That should mix really well with diet root beer!
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:40:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think they paid somewhere in the general neighborhood of $100-$200, but it was a gift, so I did not ask.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:41:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I have a bottle of JD gold medal edition that I purchased at the distillery on my 21st Bday. It was signed by the master distiller who was about to retire. I wont drink that.
View Quote

You lucky fucker.

Speaking of - since you are in TN - would you know anyone that is a Tennessee Squire?

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:41:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got a bottle of Ardbeg 17 I bought back in '99 or '00 I'm waiting for the right occasion to open:

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:42:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Whiskey too good to drink? Stop and think about that for a moment.

My old boss gave me a bottle of Macallan back in the 90's. I stashed it in a cabinet and forgot about it. Then I found it, and looked it up. Very expensive bottle. Considered selling it, then realized he gave those out for us to enjoy. Thanks for the reminder, I'll have a glass right now.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:43:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think you would be doing him a disservice. The man spent years and years perfecting his craft and made sure that his last batch as the best damned batch he ever created, he wanted you to enjoy the passion in his life and all the hard work he did. I get why you're saving it, I most likely would too, but I bet he wish you wouldn't.

Fuck now I want some good whiskey. Yet all I have at the house is 18yr Jameson's and regular Jack. Dammit. I know, first world problems.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:46:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

My old boss gave me a bottle of Macallan back in the 90's. I stashed it in a cabinet and forgot about it. Then I found it, and looked it up. Very expensive bottle. Considered selling it, then realized he gave those out for us to enjoy. Thanks for the reminder, I'll have a glass right now.
View Quote

Carpe Diem.

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:46:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Is this going to involve ex-girlfriends, lesbians, sliders, ex-wives best friends or hookers?
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:53:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Drink it already. Good whisky is God's gift to man.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:55:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Carpe Diem.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carpe Diem.

indeed!

Here's to good times and old friends.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:56:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a bottle of Jack that still has the tabc tape over the top. My neighbor died about 6 years ago. She was 93. Her husband had died about twenty years prior.  My mom and dad bought the house and this bottle of jack was hid in the return air duct by her husband.  He never got to open it and I won't be opening it either.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:59:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a bottle of Jack that still has the tabc tape over the top. My neighbor died about 6 years ago. She was 93. Her husband had died about twenty years prior.  My mom and dad bought the house and this bottle of jack was hid in the return air duct by her husband.  He never got to open it and I won't be opening it either.
View Quote

We need pics! Please!?!
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:01:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
HEATHEN. That thar suff izz fer sippin'!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:02:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

pretty please pics!
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:04:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh hell. Sippin is for bitches. Just drink the stuff.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:11:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Oh hell. Sippin is drinking, you just get to taste it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:11:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sippin second or third best to it right now:

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:17:36 AM EDT
[#26]
If it ain't bourbon, it ain't shit.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:19:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Still have 12 bottles of Bushmills Millennium Malt. Not afraid to drink it, quit drinking. Just Sayin'...
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:22:13 AM EDT
[#28]
I would be at least half way through that bottle by now.  There will always be more.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:22:31 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I've got a bottle of Ardbeg 17 I bought back in '99 or '00 I'm waiting for the right occasion to open:

https://img.thewhiskyexchange.com/900/abgob.17yo.jpg  
View Quote
There is rare one. Had a bottle years ago. Was one of the top five single malt scotch's I ever drank. Just Sayin'...

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:23:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Interesting...really intrigued what the maple does to it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:28:31 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

https://img.thewhiskyexchange.com/900/abgob.17yo.jpg  
View Quote
You just fixed this thread.

I've had to settle for Uigeadail and fuck is that stuff good.  Having had the 10yr, I bet the 17 is incredible.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:29:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:30:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You get to taste it if you drink it, just more of it.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:32:00 AM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sippin second or third best to it right now:

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae29/littleredman888/20151101_000724_resized_zpsxv1zwqhd.jpg

Good. Whisky is meant to be drank or sipped or whatever. It does no good sittin on a shelf.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:34:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:34:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Never heard of that iteration.  I'd love to try a glass.

Please do give us a review once you crack the bottle.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:37:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Heathen. Are you too good to partake?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:38:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Just think of what you could do in a distillery with free run of the place.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:39:53 AM EDT
[#39]
No

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:40:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Just remember where it comes from.

That's right the best state.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:42:24 AM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

On my way south. Be there in 6 hours.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:46:57 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fine Tennessee whiskey, technically, easily meets the legal definition of Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey (aged at least two years - four years with an age statement - in new American charred oak barrels, with at least 51% corn mash, etc).

The utter beauty is the addition of the beautiful "Lincoln County Process", which essentially adds charcoal filtering of the spirit - usually, but not always, drip filtering through at least 10 feet of sugar maple charcoal.

Usually, with say Old No. 7, the spirit is charcoal filtered before it goes into the barrel/cask for aging.

As I understand it, with Gentleman Jack -  and the magical No. 27 Gold - the spirit is charcoal filtered once before barrel aging, and once again before the dumping/bottling.

Fine Tennessee whiskey - we are blessed to have it.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:49:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

We need pics! Please!?!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We need pics! Please!?!

IMG_0574 by Lon Glaze, on Flickr

IMG_0572 by Lon Glaze, on Flickr

IMG_0571 by Lon Glaze, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:49:31 AM EDT
[#44]

Do the extra 18 years finally make it taste like a single malt?

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:51:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll partake just not this one.  See pics above.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:53:33 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Just remember where it comes from.

That's right the best state.
View Quote

No shit, beautiful cave water with essentially NO iron in it.

I'll reiterate, if any Arfcom TN brothers here are, by chance, a Tennessee Squire, please consider IMing me.  I'd be so grateful,l beyond description, to someday become an esteemed member.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 1:00:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Fine Tennessee whiskey, technically, easily meets the legal definition of Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey (aged at least two years - four years with an age statement - in new American charred oak barrels, with at least 51% corn mash, etc).

The utter beauty is the addition of the beautiful "Lincoln County Process", which essentially adds charcoal filtering of the spirit - usually, but not always, drip filtering through at least 10 feet of sugar maple charcoal.

Usually, with say Old No. 7, the spirit is charcoal filtered before it goes into the barrel/cask for aging.

As I understand it, with Gentleman Jack -  and the magical No. 27 Gold - the spirit is charcoal filtered once before barrel aging, and once again before the dumping/bottling.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last Jack I had was Sinatra.  It was good.  Just good.  

Proper bourbon is perhaps the greatest expression of the distillers art.   The mash and yeast play a huge role, as does both the toast and char of the barrel.  Bourbon is so specific and yet every distiller does it a little bit different.

OP, enjoy that whiskey.  #7 is some of the worst shit ever but jacks premiums are usually on point.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 1:05:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BLASPHEMY!!! If it ain't from Bourbon County it ain't bourbon!!

It still just Tennessee sippin' whiskey.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 1:10:16 AM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

You win.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 1:14:29 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Proper bourbon is perhaps the greatest expression of the distillers art.   The mash and yeast play a huge role, as does both the toast and char of the barrel.  Bourbon is so specific and yet every distiller does it a little bit different.

OP, enjoy that whiskey.  #7 is some of the worst shit ever but jacks premiums are usually on point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you.  I plan to soon pull the trigger on some local/domestic Sinatra Select here, and I will report back in due course on it (we're talking $170 per 1 litre bottle).

Also, please don't discount the beauty of the current 86 proof "Master Distiller Series" out right now, as a limited release - IMO, it's some awesome tasty JD, for just a song.

*edit, I am a JD Single Barrel WHORE, and the Master Distiller Series, as an 86 proof limited release dumping, REALLY gives the Single Barrel a run for the money, at about $20-$25 less per 750ml bottle.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top