Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2015 9:07:07 PM EDT
I have a bunch of rusty AR parts

So I started soda blasting, but I need to work on it some more.

I have a few questions. WTF happened to that barrel that it became crenulated, the crown was rusty when I found it, is it trashed?

What would you do with these parts, What kind of AR would you build? I was thinking SBR 300 BLK and chop the rail.This will not be a defensive rifle due to lack of forward assist, a no name chepo BCG and a UTG buffer tube

Would cerakote hold up on the barrel nut? I plan to cerakote all the things.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like the perfect excuse for a budget build. The stuff near the crown is normal carbon/copper build up. Normally its not seen because the flash hider is in place. For about $100 more in parts you will have a good truck gun or panic profit gun.

A little cerakote and that gun will look brand new.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like the perfect excuse for a budget build. The stuff near the crown is normal carbon/copper build up. Normally its not seen because the flash hider is in place. For about $100 more in parts you will have a good truck gun or panic profit gun.

A little cerakote and that gun will look brand new.
View Quote

That's what I was thinking... I probably work on soda blast some more tomorrow and attempt to cerakote it

I think Ill dedicate this gun to running steel and being an all around beater
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The stuff near the crown is normal carbon/copper build up. Normally its not seen because the flash hider is in place. .
View Quote

Seconded. I've seen what looks like a washer of fouling come out when the FH on an older rifle was removed.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The stuff near the crown is normal carbon/copper build up. Normally its not seen because the flash hider is in place. .
View Quote

Seconded. I've seen what looks like a washer of fouling come out when the FH on an older rifle was removed.
View Quote

Ah cool

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Dibs on the oatmeal bread
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:01:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Dibs on the oatmeal bread
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm no expert, but floridas humidity + steel = rust if you don't wipe them down with some type of oil.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:15:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm no expert, but floridas humidity + steel = rust if you don't wipe them down with some type of oil.
View Quote

Yup that is true

But I keep my house at 40% percent humiditity so it will be fine for now with out oil

I don't want to grease it up just yet because I am going to blast it in a few day again and carakote it in a few weeks

Also do I have to get rid of the anodizing to properly apply cerakote?
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:32:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Is that a Troy rail?

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is that a Troy rail?

View Quote

Nah its UTG

I have never given one dime to those scum at troy
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yup that is true

But I keep my house at 40% percent humiditity so it will be fine for now with out oil

I don't want to grease it up just yet because I am going to blast it in a few day again and carakote it in a few weeks

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup that is true

No just needs degreasing. And you shouldn't have to blast the barrel either unless there is deep pitting, just give it a good rub down with fine steel wool and CLP to get rid of the surface rust, then degrease. Hard coat anodizing and parkerizing are great surfaces for cerakote application.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:38:18 PM EDT
[#12]
DT
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Bump for day crew
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top