Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/26/2015 5:29:58 PM EDT
A friend asked me this.  He loves him some Wolf and Tula ammo, presently shoots AKs.  He's thinking about an AR, but wants one that handles the steel cased stuff.  Suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Every ar Ive ever shot eats the stuff up.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#3]
My Smith and Wesson M&P sport will eat steel cased all day long without issues...
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Used to hear that the lacquer on the steel case stuff would gum up in chambers after a while. But that was probably 15 years ago this rumor was going around. Also heard that it's hard on extractors. Both claims almost certainly BS.

I've shot thousands of rounds of steel cased stuff through AKs and ARs and never a problem. It's a great choice for blasting ammo because of the price. Smells like ass though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 5:44:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A friend asked me this.  He loves him some Wolf and Tula ammo, presently shoots AKs.  He's thinking about an AR, but wants one that handles the steel cased stuff.  Suggestions?
View Quote

For shooting weaker ammo a carbine buffer and a carbine gas system are probably preferable to make sure that the action gets enough energy.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a friend who has two rifles with DD barrels. They both jam with steel ammo. I think the chamber is on the low end of tolerance. It handles brass just fine but it gets stuck in battery after firing.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#7]
My LMT and BCMs eat it right up.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 6:01:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Uh, any of them?
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I have chf OSA 14.7 and it runs fine with wolf
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 6:17:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I think the problems were due to chronically underloaded and sooty Wolf/Tula failing to expand fully and carboning up the chamber.  I've always used Barnaul for Russian ammo.  Pretty hot stuff and burns clean.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#11]
As long as it's quality it'll run it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My Smith and Wesson M&P sport will eat steel cased all day long without issues...
View Quote
Mine too.  In fact, it eats anything without issue.  Even processed meats!

Link Posted: 10/26/2015 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
Pretty much.  I wonder how well a 416 barrel will hold up compared to 4150 barrel?  http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

Link Posted: 10/26/2015 6:22:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Used to hear that the lacquer on the steel case stuff would gum up in chambers after a while. But that was probably 15 years ago this rumor was going around. Also heard that it's hard on extractors. Both claims almost certainly BS.

I've shot thousands of rounds of steel cased stuff through AKs and ARs and never a problem. It's a great choice for blasting ammo because of the price. Smells like ass though.
View Quote

Not bs. About 15-20 years ago the steel cased ammo has laquer on them. If the chamber got warm and you left one
in the chamber. After you fired it you needed a cleaning rod to hammer it out.

Never had a problem after they went to polymer coating.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#15]
My buddy brought some steel cased ammo to shoot this weekend. Mine ran fine.

So literally  any AR.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I shoot a lot of steel cased ammo with a Stag Arms AR- 1:9 barrel and carbine gas system.  It's never malfunctioned.  I don't really clean it, either.  Just hose it down with oil if I've been out in the rain.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Never had a problem with it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
As long as it's quality it'll run it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/26/2015 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#19]
All of them?

I train with steel 3x a week using my Colt, Stag and KAC.

Zero issues across the board.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 6:56:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I shoot a lot of steel cased ammo with a Stag Arms AR- 1:9 barrel and carbine gas system.  It's never malfunctioned.  I don't really clean it, either.  Just hose it down with oil if I've been out in the rain.
View Quote

My Stag was the first I started using steel with while under the impression that it won't work well, it'll gum your gun up, etc. Stag is my beater rifle with the most rounds on it so figured what the hell.

Shot all steel like a champ, just like my Colt and KAC do.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#21]
If your "friend" is worried, get the chamber loosened up just a tad bit. Probably a good polish would do it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I have an armalite that gets stuck cases occasionally after hundreds of rounds of steel, I have an M4 close I put together with a DSA upper, shoots steel fine, as does my M&P15 and a 16" CAR I built from a M1S kit. Just picked up a ruger AR556, so far it doesnt like steel case ammo at all. First round, stuck case with the stuff, and several over the course of 40 rounds of tula. It did shoot 200 rounds of brass case stuff fine, I am hoping it just needs broken in.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd hope all of them. I'd be pissed as hell if any of my AR's couldnt handle any ammo I shot through them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I have never seen an ar that doesnt run steel cased ammo.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'd hope all of them. I'd be pissed as hell if any of my AR's couldnt handle any ammo I shot through them.
View Quote

I've seen more than a few ban-era shorties that were overgassed and wouldn't run it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#26]
No problems with tula in my del-ton upper
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 7:34:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

My BCM 14.5 midlength was a single shot with steel cased ammo and a standard carbine weight buffer and FA BCG.

Some gas port/barrel length/buffer/BCG combinations don't like steel cased stuff. Most will work fine. The beauty of an AR is that most are fairly easy to troubleshoot and fine tune your rifle so that it feeds whatever you want it to feed.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Hmmm.  My 20" Armalite doesn't like steel cased at all, nor does my PLR-16.  I generally don't run steel cased in any of my ARish guns.  

Another question: how do the PSA ARs do with the stuff?
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 5:40:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I keep the steel in rifles designed for it, AKs. Plus Wolf and Tula 7.62x39 is 10x better than their .223 offerings.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#30]
I shoot it in one that has a $99 barrel. Eats it all day
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 5:44:27 PM EDT
[#31]
If your rifle doesn't run steel cased ammo, you should get it fixed.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Hmmm.  My 20" Armalite doesn't like steel cased at all, nor does my PLR-16.  I generally don't run steel cased in any of my ARish guns.  

View Quote
When you say "doesn't like steel cased", what kind of malfunctions are you seeing?

Link Posted: 10/28/2015 5:45:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2015 5:47:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Best?

You could argue the S&W AR15 chambered in 5.45x39 is the best, since it was designed to shoot steel case ammo.  

On a serious note, I wouldn't have an AR that wouldn't shoot it.

Link Posted: 10/28/2015 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#35]
I get nervous shooting steel through an AR.  

My bushmaster hated Wolf ammo when that was all I could afford to shoot.  I'd get stuck cases in the chamber all the time.  You can't give me Tula.  That stuff short strokes my SBR and a friend's 20in A2.

Although the boxer primed steel case is easy enough to reload.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#36]
AR-180 eats it like candy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
When you say "doesn't like steel cased", what kind of malfunctions are you seeing?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, the usual failures to eject, sticky cases, etc.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2015 5:50:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Neither DPMS rifles I've owned have liked steel cased ammo. Failures to extract every 20 or so rounds, but smooth sailing with brass.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not bs. About 15-20 years ago the steel cased ammo has laquer on them. If the chamber got warm and you left one

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's funny because you can take a torch to lacquer coated cases and it won't melt.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 5:55:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it definitely is BS. Has been debunked quite a few times by now.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#42]
I got some Wolf steel case to stick in my new AR build but I think it's because of a weak extractor.  Otherwise I've always shot the stuff and never had any issues.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've tried everything I could imagine to make mine jam with steel and couldn't.  If it were me, I'd be looking for something wrong with my rifle and less at my choice in ammo.  I won't own an AR that won't shoot steel case.  YMMV.

Link Posted: 10/28/2015 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

PSA freedom kit, DPMS lower, generic BCG bought from Midwest Industries, Slidefire. And a smile.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9pdbxd8tmon634c/Slidefire_x264.mp4?dl=0
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 5:57:43 PM EDT
[#45]
i don't shoot as often as i should but when i do, it's always steel cased. I don't even remember the last time my ar had brass in it's chamber. If i had an ar that wouldn't fire brass on the reg, i'd sell it fast.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 5:59:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Only time I have ever seen it be a problem was at the first carbine class I went to. The old guy next to me was using a bushmaster full of wolf and it choked.

Then he got out another bushmaster from his car and it choked. By then the class was almost over though. A bunch of people had brought some really high speed gear but the only guns without issues of some sort were my AUG and a suppressed LWRC SBR. Really nifty little gun.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

My BCM 14.5 midlength was a single shot with steel cased ammo and a standard carbine weight buffer and FA BCG.

Some gas port/barrel length/buffer/BCG combinations don't like steel cased stuff. Most will work fine. The beauty of an AR is that most are fairly easy to troubleshoot and fine tune your rifle so that it feeds whatever you want it to feed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had the same issue.  The only upper out of probably close to 20 that I've owned that didn't like the stuff (BCM 14.5" Middy).  Only happened with Tula as well (which seemed, at the time, to be the weakest of the steel case offerings).  

Everything else has ran steel cased commie shit like a champ.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I keep the steel in rifles designed for it, AKs. Plus Wolf and Tula 7.62x39 is 10x better than their .223 offerings.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have a friend who has two rifles with DD barrels. They both jam with steel ammo. I think the chamber is on the low end of tolerance. It handles brass just fine but it gets stuck in battery after firing.
View Quote

My DD MK18 barreled AR eats up whatever steel case I put through it. All my ARs have no problems with dirty steel.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

My DD MK18 barreled AR eats up whatever steel case I put through it. All my ARs have no problems with dirty steel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same with my 10.3" DD barrel that I had chopped down from 12.5" by ADCO.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top