Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2001 1:18:33 PM EDT
There have been lots of posts lately regarding permits. I was wondering how many states require some sort of permit process for the owner or weapon.

Here in Virginia, the buyer needs nothing more than to have a clean record, proof of age and residence, and the money.  If you have that, you can walk out with it the day you buy it.  (assuming the NICS system is up)  The gun itself requires no official paperwork.  However, we do have a 1 handgun a month law.

Yeah Yeah!, I know that the NICS, etc... can be seen as defacto registration, but that's not what I'm getting at!
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 1:50:28 PM EDT
[#1]
In MA, all firearm _transfers_ have been registered since 1968.

As of 1998, an FID card is required to own 'low capacty' rifles or shotguns (.22s, or 10 rounds or less for rifles and 5 rounds for shotguns).

An LTC-B is required to own 'low capacity' pistols, and 'high capacity' rifles and shotguns.

An LTC-A is required to own 'high capacity' pistols, and to carry concealed if issued with no restrictions.

Ammo purchasers must have the correct license, i.e. if you are buying pistol ammo you _must_ have an LTC, an FID won't work.

There are no waiting periods other than NICS, ammo components are treated as ammo and thus illegal for anyone without a license to posses.

Link Posted: 4/25/2001 1:56:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Driftpunch  Im in Pa and its just like Va  but no one hand gun a month  As many as you want
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 2:13:20 PM EDT
[#3]
US COUNTRY BOYS IN BAMA GOTTA HAVE A CLEAN RECORD,AND FILL OUT THE YELLOW SHEET,AND IF ITS ALL GOO WALK OUT THE DOOR.ALSO NO GUN LIMIT.I GUESS THERE IS WORSE PLACES TO BE.[pistol]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#4]
In Iowa you need a permit to purchase or a CCW for handguns. Or you have to go through the NICS check for rifles and shotguns.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm with you driftpunch - I keep reading in the NRA mag about "owner dispatched intruder with legally licensed handgun" and so forth and wonder what the heck they're talking about....

Shazbat - you have officially nixed any plans I ever had to go to MA.  If this is anything like what we're all facing I'm even more afraid for our future.  License to OWN ammo?!?  Low capacity .22??  Wow.

Here I've been commiserating about the anal inspection I just went through for class III.  I feel like I contributed to this crazy system by paying $200 & submitting to an Unconstitutional background check.  I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't feel justified questioning anyone else, when we all submit to this garbage in one form or another (random roadblocks, CCW's, permits to purchase or even worse).  I just don't understand why we do it sometimes.

Black Fox
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 4:07:22 PM EDT
[#7]
nys                                
nyc

galaxies apart
handguns in city = jail if unlucky
handguns in state = easy(er) to get permit, if you are a perfect specamin or maby jail if caught.

rifles in city = no
rifles in state = who cares

assault weapons in city = jail if lucky
assault weapons in state = who cares (as long as its not full auto)

basically it all sucks. i would love to live in a state like pa.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 4:12:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
nys                                
nyc

galaxies apart
handguns in city = jail if unlucky
handguns in state = easy(er) to get permit, if you are a perfect specamin or maby jail if caught.

rifles in city = no
rifles in state = who cares

assault weapons in city = jail if lucky
assault weapons in state = who cares (as long as its not full auto)

basically it all sucks. i would love to live in a state like pa.
View Quote

And how do think Californians feel? Can't even legally buy or own the LEGP in the state, fer cryin' out loud! [V]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 4:34:34 PM EDT
[#9]
IN is a shall issue state, meaning that a personal protection concealed carry license cannot be deined without reason.
Firearms are NOT registered in Indiana and you don't need anything but proof of age to buy ammo.
A NICS check is run on any firearm purchase (of course)unless you have a CCL, then no NICS check is run. A lot of times when I go to gun shows dealers will only sell to CCL holders because they don't want to mess with the NICS check.
A license is required to transport a handgun unless its back and forth to a dealer or smith and a different type of license (hunting & target) will allow you to transport a unloaded and non accessable handgun back and forth to the range or hunting (a CCL supercedes a hunting & target license). In other words it is leagle for you to own any firearm unregestered, as long as you keep it in your house. It is also leagle to transport longuns without licenses (except class 3) and as long as the class 3s' are leagle you can transport them too (unloaded and unacessable).
My CCL says (may transport on his person or in a vehicle any handgun which he leagaly possesses. Note that I could borrow one if I wanted to.

Please forgive my spelling errors, spelling is not my strong suite.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Black Fox - yeah, MA is awful for gun-owners.  And to add insult to injury, the AG last year enacted regulations on handguns that are completley asinine.  I won't go into details, but unless it was made before 10/21/98 you can't buy it from a dealer.  Exceptions are S&W and Sig.

So many FFL's have been run out by the state, or gone out of business it's frightening.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Nevada is a shall issue state for CCW.
Open carry of hand guns is allowed.
FullAuto is ok to have (if ya got that kind of cash)
Clark county requires a registration (not a permit) for handguns.

Anyone can conceal a gun in their car (not on person).

Come on down, lets go chootin.[:D] [heavy]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Utah is a shall issue, preemptive, state.  If you have CCW a 3 or 4 min. phonecall to the state office an dyou are on your way.  If not, it takes 5 to 10 mins.  whether NICs is up or not.  (State does own checking).  In either case, you walk out with the firearm you are buying, at maybe 30 mins at most.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top