Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/25/2015 12:07:42 PM EDT

So let's talk about tequila.  Unfortunately when most people think of tequila, they think of that bottle of Cuervo gold they got sick on in high school/college.  Despite the fact tequila can be as varied and amazing as bourbon or scotch, they never touch the stuff again.  This is like saying, "No thank you.  I don't want that free Ed Brown 1911.  I swore off pistols after shooting a Kel-Tec that had a broken extractor 10 years ago.".

Now my favorites are anejos, so that is where I will concentrate.  Although I do have repos in there that I really like.  Some of these notes are mine, some are ones that I think are accurate.

Reposados (aged from 2 to 11 months)

ArteNOM Seleccion de 1414 Reposado

Aroma: A nice agave, wood and spice mix.  Very pleasant smell.

Initial taste: Agave sweetness with hints of vanilla and spice.

Body: A nice medium and easy to drink body.  The wood becomes more evident as it gets to the back of the palate.  All of the flavors mix nicely.

Finish: A long finish that lingers a while with the alcohol and spice.  Maybe a bit too much for some, but it was fine for me.  

1921 Tequila Reposado - My favorite repo

Aroma: Cooked agave, vanilla, nuts, spice and light fruit.  Very complex and inviting.

Initial Taste: A very pleasant entry with agave, fruit and a bit of spice.

Body: Very rich/oily and complex.  The oak element comes through a bit more, but compliments the agave, caramel, fruit and spice (cinnamon) nicely.  

Finish: A pleasant, but medium-short finish.  Notes of oak and spice are most prominent with just a light sweetness to round it out.

Anejos (aged at least one year)

Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia Anejo Tequila - Don't let them name fool you.  This is Cuervo's way of letting everyone know that, despite the cheap shit they sell, they can (when they want to) make a world-class tequila.  This is wonderful stuff.  They just charge about $30.00 too much for it.  But, it's worth a try at least once.

Aroma: Great agave smell with some woody and caramel notes.

Initial Taste: Agave taste with plenty of wood and spice notes.

Body: Thick mouth feel with a nice smooth flavor throughout.

Finish: Pleasant finish and burn with the aging really coming through.

7 Leguas Anejo - One of my favorites.  Amazing taste and its named after Pancho Villa's horse.  How could you go wrong?  I only wish they'd use a cork instead of a screw-top.  Doesn't change the juice, but it takes away from the presentation.

Aroma: Sweet and spicy.  Nice agave and spice nose.

Initial Taste: Sweet on the tip of the tongue with a bit of sizzle as it moves on your palate.

Body: The wood and spice notes make this tequila really complex and enjoyable.  There's also hints of vanilla and roasted nuts.  Lots of flavors mixing...and doing it very well.

Finish: The spices really linger nicely for a long finish that reminds you of how good this tequila really is.

Casa Noble Anejo - My second-favorite.

Light golden mahogany color with excellent clarity.

Aroma: It has a very elegant and very robust aroma. Agave, heavy oak, caramel, honey, and vanilla.  These flavors are all very pronounced and distinct.

Initial Taste: A very nice oak and vanilla initial flavor with the other flavors lingering and complimenting each other.  Each sip was a wow!

Body: Medium-light body with light tears in glass; but not oily in the mouth at all. The flavors are balanced and compliment each other.

Finish: Medium-long finish with sweet agave forward and then the oak, honey, and vanilla flavors are strong on the finish.  It leaves you with a taste of something that has been well aged.

Price: This is an excellent anejo for the price.

Don Julio 1942 - This is the tequila I take to the desert island.  It's pricey, but well worth it.

The nose is all butterscotch and vanilla.  With just a hint of oak and some agave.  The initial taste is more of the same with some caramel, maybe toffee and agave at the end.  The body is a little thin, but the amazing taste more than makes up for it.  The finish carries on and on.  Which drives the enjoyability.  The price is high, but I'm not sure this one isn't worth it.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm allergic to the stuff, makes me break out in handcuffs
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:11:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm allergic to the stuff, makes me break out in handcuffs
View Quote

Same.

I'm generally a happy drunk, but tequila makes the mean come out and Bad Shit happens.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I really want to try a pechuga.

A little off topic, I know.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:13:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I've grown very fond of tequila in the past two years, mostly anejos. Most people I know share the perception that tequila is nasty stuff, I agree it's because they haven't tried enough good tequila. Spot on with your comments.

I'll be checking out your suggestions.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is one of my personal favorites

And I agree fully, tequila gets it's reputation from the night you did shots of Cuervo until you passed out and spent 12 hours of the next day puking and dry heaving.
Cuervo Gold is swamp water compared to a true sipping tequila.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I've passed by the fields where they grow the agave for Siete Leguas, but never tried the Tequila.

In Mexico the most popular ones are Herradura and Centenario.  I like both of 'em.  

Noventa Mil Horas is a good one too.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#7]
While I can agree that tequila is a most wonderful thing I must wholeheartedly disagree that anejos and reposados are the best representation of the spirit.  In fact, anejos and reposados are a complete bastardization of what the spirit should be.  They are an abomination.  If you are a tequila lover and truly wish to experience the spirit then silver or "plata" tequilas are a must.  There are truly great ones out there.  Start with Kah or Milagro Select Barrel Reserve.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia Anejo Tequila is $130 not $30. It is very good tequila and I have quite a collection of boxes to prove it.

Don Julio 1942 is about as good as it gets.

Look for El Tesoro Paradiso for a treat that can be found for less than $100. I have found it as low as $49 and I stock up when I do. Excellent tequila. FWIW, this one is a blend of different ages that leads to perfection.

For an everyday tequila Hornitos anejo and Cazadores anejo are good choices.

For that extra special occasion try: Herradura Selection Suprema I received a bottle for my birthday and it was amazing. This one is so smooth and complex it will blow your mind. It is almost chewy, slightly sweet with an very flavorful finish.

While you are at it try the assorted Mezcals from Del Maguey. They have village specific mezcals that will rock you taste buds. Each one is unique so you have to try them all!
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I love me some 7 Leguas. My wife bought a bottle to take to my father. I stuck it in the back of the cabinet and forgot about it. Saw it one day and thought "Hmmm, I don't remember buying this." Cracked it open and loved it. Wife saw it open and reminded me it was for him and was a little pissed. Picked another bottle the next time I was in Guadalajara.

I also grabbed a bottle of Extra Anejo Herradura on that trip for about one third the price of what you would pay in the states. Good luck even finding it here. Can't bring myself to open it. Luckily I'm not a huge anejo fan and the extra anejo is more like cognac.

My go to costs about $20 and I pick it up once every couple of months when I go south. I forgot the name, but it is as good as any $50+ brand in the states, if not better. I'll post up the name later.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#10]

YAY  Tequila thread

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia Anejo Tequila is $130 not $30. It is very good tequila and I have quite a collection of boxes to prove it.

Look for El Tesoro Paradiso for a treat that can be found for less than $100. I have found it as low as $49 and I stock up when I do. Excellent tequila. FWIW, this one is a blend of different ages that leads to perfection.

For that extra special occasion try: Herradura Selection Suprema I received a bottle for my birthday and it was amazing. This one is so smooth and complex it will blow your mind. It is almost chewy, slightly sweet with an very flavorful finish.

While you are at it try the assorted Mezcals from Del Maguey. They have village specific mezcals that will rock you taste buds. Each one is unique so you have to try them all!
View Quote

You're correct about the price.  I meant to say $30 too much.  Someday I will see if I can sneak up on a Seleccion Suprema.

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's a hell of a gift.

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's a hell of a gift.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a hell of a gift.

Better than socks...
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is what I mentioned earlier. Good stuff.

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Don Julio drinker here.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I like tequila. Now that said, I'm relatively new to it.

Subscribed.

OP, are any of the ones you have in your post good for margaritas? Or would that just be wasting something meant to be had straight?
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#18]
thanks for that!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

My first post on ARFCOM

Jose Cuervo De La Familia Reserva is very good sipping tequila,not cheap,but your relatives will not be disapointed.I keep a bottle on hand for my guests that enjoy tequila.For the ones that ask for lime and salt I have a 6 dollar bottle of mezcal and they can fight over the worm.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I've yet to have the money for some of the fancier ones listed, but I'm impressed with Tres Generaciones. I try to keep all grades around.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I've yet to have the money for some of the fancier ones listed, but I'm impressed with Tres Generaciones. I try to keep all grades around.
View Quote
Yep, I like Tres Generaciones Añjeo.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#22]
For the price, this is by far my favorite.

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Last time I drank tequila I woke up with a brand on my arm.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I stopped drinking tequila December 7, 1991.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Where is Tila?
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Here is one of my personal favorites

https://s.yimg.com/fz/api/res/1.2/QLLpLj9UcQ7bqgC_ur_j2A--/YXBwaWQ9c3JjaGRkO2g9Mzg2O3E9OTU7dz0zODY-/http://www.normansliquors.com/cw4/images/product_full/088352124797.jpg

And I agree fully, tequila gets it's reputation from the night you did shots of Cuervo until you passed out and spent 12 hours of the next day puking and dry heaving.
Cuervo Gold is swamp water compared to a true sipping tequila.
View Quote

I've given that as Christmas gift
Very well received by my tequila loving buddy.

ETA. Family camarena is also nice.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've grown very fond of tequila in the past two years, mostly anejos. Most people I know share the perception that tequila is nasty stuff, I agree it's because they haven't tried enough good tequila. Spot on with your comments.

I'll be checking out your suggestions.
View Quote

Scotch is nasty also  until you get the right stuff. Then it's great.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I like Don Julio 70 and 1942. The 42 is only 112 a bottle so it's not that bad.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Subscribed.
OP, are any of the ones you have in your post good for margaritas? Or would that just be wasting something meant to be had straight?
View Quote

A great tequila for margaritas is KAH repo. It's good enough to drink straight, serve to friends and, combined with lime juice and 43 Liqueur, makes an amazing margarita. Plus the bottle is cool as hell

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 8:40:50 PM EDT
[#32]
You got any idea where to lay hands on one of the worm tequila bottles?  I've never come across it in a store.

I'll see if I can find a picture and add it....

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

A great tequila for margaritas is KAH repo. It's good enough to drink straight, serve to friends and, combined with lime juice and 43 Liqueur, makes an amazing margarita. Plus the bottle is cool as hell

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Subscribed.

My favorite tequila for margaritas is Hornitos. That is a proper margarita, 1/3 tequila, 1/3 fresh squeezed lime juice and 1/3 simple syrup shaken of course. Hornitos has a nice peppery flavor that goes very well with the other ingredients. My wife likes to put a splash of Gran Marnier (sp?) on top.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 8:45:29 PM EDT
[#34]

The Añejo is my favorite tequila, as well as the Don Julio's Añejo.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You got any idea where to lay hands on one of the worm tequila bottles?  I've never come across it in a store.

http://pacificonlinespirits.com/images/products/detail/casta.gusanoanejo.wormbottle.tequila.2.1.jpg
View Quote

I see them in the stores here. If you want one let me know.
EDIT: posted before I saw the picture, thought you meant a bottle with the worm at the bottom. I will look around for a worm bottle.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Just not sure about the legality of shipping liquor. ATF isn't an agency I want to piss off.

Looks like it may be available online at $124 per bottle (750 ml)

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Where the hell were you guys yesterday?

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Do you have feelings of inadequacy? Do you suffer from shyness? Do you sometimes wish you were more assertive?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist about Tequila®.

Tequila® is the safe, natural way to feel better and more confident about yourself and your actions. Tequila® can help ease you out of your shyness and let you tell the world that you're ready and willing to do just about anything. You will notice the benefits of Tequila® almost immediately, and with a regimen of regular doses, you can overcome any obstacles that prevent you from living the life you want to live. Shyness and awkwardness will be a thing of the past, and you will discover many talents you never knew you had. Stop hiding and start living with Tequila®.

Tequila® may not be right for everyone. Women who are pregnant or nursing should not use Tequila®. However, women who wouldn't mind nursing or becoming pregnant are encouraged to try it. Side effects may include dizziness, nausea, vomiting, incarceration, erotic lustfulness, loss of motor control, loss of clothing, loss of money, loss of virginity, delusions of grandeur, table dancing, headache, dehydration, dry mouth, and a desire to sing Karaoke and play all-night rounds of Strip Poker, Truth Or Dare, and Naked Twister.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#39]
I am a big fan of Reposados and enjoy Don Julio and Casa Noble for sipping.

El Mayor and Corralejo for making top shelf Margaritas.

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Just not sure about the legality of shipping liquor. ATF isn't an agency I want to piss off.

Looks like it may be available online at $124 per bottle (750 ml)

View Quote

Low flash point parts cleaning solvent.

I doubt I will find a $124 novelty bottle around here.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 9:17:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So let's talk about tequila.  Unfortunately when most people think of tequila, they think of that bottle of Cuervo gold they got sick on in high school/college.  Despite the fact tequila can be as varied and amazing as bourbon or scotch, they never touch the stuff again.  This is like saying, "No thank you.  I don't want that free Ed Brown 1911.  I swore off pistols after shooting a Kel-Tec that had a broken extractor 10 years ago.".

Now my favorites are anejos, so that is where I will concentrate.  Although I do have repos in there that I really like.  Some of these notes are mine, some are ones that I think are accurate.

Bought my father in law the don julio 1942 when I asked to marry his daughter. It's now our go to tequila for special occasions. There are many great tequilas out there that nobody knows about. Drink it like you would a good scotch and they'll surprise you.

Reposados (aged from 2 to 11 months)

http://www.tequila.net/media/reviews/photos/original/7f/c0/59/1817_arteNOM-tequila-reposado_1329539840.jpg

ArteNOM Seleccion de 1414 Reposado

Aroma: A nice agave, wood and spice mix.  Very pleasant smell.
Initial taste: Agave sweetness with hints of vanilla and spice.
Body: A nice medium and easy to drink body.  The wood becomes more evident as it gets to the back of the palate.  All of the flavors mix nicely.
Finish: A long finish that lingers a while with the alcohol and spice.  Maybe a bit too much for some, but it was fine for me.  

http://www.tequila.net/media/reviews/photos/original/ed/d1/ee/312_tequila-1921-reposado_1319914394.jpg

1921 Tequila Reposado - My favorite repo

Aroma: Cooked agave, vanilla, nuts, spice and light fruit.  Very complex and inviting.
Initial Taste: A very pleasant entry with agave, fruit and a bit of spice.
Body: Very rich/oily and complex.  The oak element comes through a bit more, but compliments the agave, caramel, fruit and spice (cinnamon) nicely.  
Finish: A pleasant, but medium-short finish.  Notes of oak and spice are most prominent with just a light sweetness to round it out.

Anejos (aged at least one year)

http://www.tequila.net/media/reviews/photos/original/62/78/dd/185_joe_cuervo_reserva_de_la_familia_1171751732.jpg

Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia Anejo Tequila - Don't let them name fool you.  This is Cuervo's way of letting everyone know that, despite the cheap shit they sell, they can (when they want to) make a world-class tequila.  This is wonderful stuff.  They just charge about $30.00 too much for it.  But, it's worth a try at least once.

Aroma: Great agave smell with some woody and caramel notes.
Initial Taste: Agave taste with plenty of wood and spice notes.
Body: Thick mouth feel with a nice smooth flavor throughout.
Finish: Pleasant finish and burn with the aging really coming through.

http://www.tequila.net/media/reviews/photos/original/ed/4d/4f/767_7_leguas_tequila_anejo_1195923744.jpg

7 Leguas Anejo - One of my favorites.  Amazing taste and its named after Pancho Villa's horse.  How could you go wrong?  I only wish they'd use a cork instead of a screw-top.  Doesn't change the juice, but it takes away from the presentation.

Aroma: Sweet and spicy.  Nice agave and spice nose.
Initial Taste: Sweet on the tip of the tongue with a bit of sizzle as it moves on your palate.
Body: The wood and spice notes make this tequila really complex and enjoyable.  There's also hints of vanilla and roasted nuts.  Lots of flavors mixing...and doing it very well.
Finish: The spices really linger nicely for a long finish that reminds you of how good this tequila really is.

http://www.tequila.net/media/reviews/photos/original/4a/29/8f/1048_casa-noble-tequila-anejo_1261341068.jpg

Casa Noble Anejo - My second-favorite.

Light golden mahogany color with excellent clarity.
Aroma: It has a very elegant and very robust aroma. Agave, heavy oak, caramel, honey, and vanilla.  These flavors are all very pronounced and distinct.
Initial Taste: A very nice oak and vanilla initial flavor with the other flavors lingering and complimenting each other.  Each sip was a wow!
Body: Medium-light body with light tears in glass; but not oily in the mouth at all. The flavors are balanced and compliment each other.
Finish: Medium-long finish with sweet agave forward and then the oak, honey, and vanilla flavors are strong on the finish.  It leaves you with a taste of something that has been well aged.
Price: This is an excellent anejo for the price.

http://www.tequila.net/media/reviews/photos/original/6b/31/67/14_don-julio-1942-anejo-2_1303965747.jpg

Don Julio 1942 - This is the tequila I take to the desert island.  It's pricey, but well worth it.

The nose is all butterscotch and vanilla.  With just a hint of oak and some agave.  The initial taste is more of the same with some caramel, maybe toffee and agave at the end.  The body is a little thin, but the amazing taste more than makes up for it.  The finish carries on and on.  Which drives the enjoyability.  The price is high, but I'm not sure this one isn't worth it.  

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#42]
This one is also pretty good.

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 9:52:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
For the price, this is by far my favorite.

http://catadores.com.mx/sites/default/files/articulos/14/05/09/olmeca1.jpg

View Quote

Great bang for the buck. 100% blue agave.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 9:55:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Thought it might be like that. Buddy of mine has one of the bottles we keep full for music night.

I'd like to find an empty for the same purpose, but I'm not down with the price.

Maybe eBay is my source.

I just re-read that and I guess you aren't talking about the quality of the tequila. If it's good quality, I can live with the price. I just hate paying that much for turpentine.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Another fan of The Don, here!
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Tequila tastes like charcoal to me. What am I doing wrong?
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Old reliable.....

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#48]
I just don't savor the flavors like I do whiskey.

Been plenty sick on both, but it's just not as good
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

http://pacificonlinespirits.com/images/products/detail/casta.gusanoanejo.wormbottle.tequila.2.1.jpg
View Quote

Gimmicky bottles usually equal lousy tequila. Not familiar with that one, so I can't say. One exception to the gimmick bottle rule would be Milagro Barrel Select. That stuff is delicious.

Milagro is also also excellent starter stuff in any style. Cheap and good.

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#50]
x5 for Don Julio Anejo. Excellent sipping tequila.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top