Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2001 11:53:37 AM EDT
on ak-47.net we were talking about different bullpup designs.  someone mentioned that imi is going ot sell its tavor rifle to civilians.  i'm looking for any information someone might have on the status of this.  is it really going to happen?  

all i found was the following story, it seems to indicate that an american firm is going to be making a model of the tavor.  anyone know who this company is?  any input would be great.  thanks, sloth

IMI To Transfer Tavor Assault Rifle Production to US for Sale to IDF in Dollars

Dror Marom
28.09.2000 17:56

Israel Military Industries (IMI) is negotiating with a US company in order to transfer manufacture of its planned Tavor assault rifle to the US.

IMI management decided that its partnership with the US company would not be confined to manufacturing and marketing the weapon, but would also involve purchasing a stake in the US company.

IMI chairman Yaacov Lifshitz told “Globes”: “The US company with which we are negotiating is eager to manufacture the advanced assault rifle, which is suitable for armies and special forces. I will manufacture the rifle in a plant in which I am also a partner.

”Transferring the manufacturing to the US is due, among other things, to the defense establishment’s shekel budget crisis. This way, we can sell the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) rifles with US aid funds. US manufacturing is also likely to open the local market to us; we will be able to supply the rifle to various branches of the US Armed Forces”

The Tavor assault rifle opens the IMI light weapons division as its flagship assault product.

Transferring manufacturing to the US will cause a reduction in activity and number of employees in IMI’s light weapons plant.

Published by Israel's Business Arena on September 28, 2000

Link Posted: 4/25/2001 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I WANTS one of them!

Heard about it in Popular Science a while back, here's their website, for all interested... [url]www.imi-israel.co.il[/url]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool gun,it also take M16/ar-15 mags
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 12:22:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I like 'em better than the AUG.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#4]
If a US civilian version is true that's the best news I've heard in a long time, especial if it takes a common/cheap mag. We really need to break Bushmasters monopoly on civilian bullpups (Not to say the M-17s isn't a great gun, I love mine)

[rail]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#5]
to update this, i believe that alex on the vepr forum over an ak-47.net that said he thought imi was looking to sell the tavor here in the us.  using imi's numbers the tavor bullpup rifle would have a over all length of 28" and a barrel length of around 18".  is that oal considered a sbr?  also the weight is suppost to be around 6 pounds without loaded magazine.  sloth
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#6]
SBR = 26" overall length

Minimum barrel length = 16"

All is well...
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 7:59:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Must......have.....Israeli......bulpup....[:D]

mattjedi[x]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Must......have.....Israeli......bulpup....[:D]

mattjedi[x]
View Quote

What.......he.......said
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 9:07:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Do I see a place for lefties to convert that gun?  Now I have to save more change.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 11:43:03 PM EDT
[#10]
sounds way too good to be true
that gun is slick. seen it in some gun mag a while back
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 8:24:04 AM EDT
[#11]
sasquatch and i will start praying to the healing power of the baby elvis now.

steve
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top