Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2001 8:11:09 AM EDT
I'm thinking on getting a 700PSS but I can't decide between the 7mm or 308? Any opinions on accuracy, recoil, effective distance and what games they are best suited for?
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 8:38:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Any ting the 7mm Mag will do the .308 will do.  For the wieght range of 7mm bullets available the 7mm Mag will do it better.  

Larger selection (heavier) bullets in .308.

If it's just North American big game the 7mm is propably the better coice.  It's a flatter shooter.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 8:42:31 AM EDT
[#2]
in terms of availablity 308. kills good to
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I prefer and recommend the 308 Win. But like anything else that involves comparing two firearms, two types of powder, or two different calibers everyone has their own opinion.  I live in Kansas and do a lot of whitetail hunting.  Most shooting is between 50 and 400 yards.  There are some longer shots availible at times, but climate conditions and the experience of most hunters in my area make these types of shots very difficult.

Most of the guys where I live swear that you cannot kill a whitetail with anything less than a 7mm or a 300 Win.  To me, shot placement, not caliber, is the name of the game.  If you hit the animal in the vital area, then you will harvest it, end of story.  

If you are planning to reload, consider that the 308 round uses 38-40's grains of powder, while the 7mm uses 70+ grains.  Something to consider if you want your reloading dollar to go further.

The 7mm is an accurate cartridge, don't get me wrong, but I think that you need to carefully consider the application that you will be using the rifle for.  It's been a while since I've been behind a 7mm Mag, but the recoil is somewhat greater than the 308.  This isn't something you may notice in a few shots, but if you are planning to use this rifle as a long range varmint rig, then the recoil may take its toll on you.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 9:12:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got a 700BDL in 7MM and positively love it.
I enjoy the extra bit of recoil; it feels good!
Also, there are Barnes bullets in the Original series at 195-gr.  Heaviest in the caliber.
Lastly, a PSS in 7MM may be a little more rare down the road.
The .308 is common and a great choice.  But, I love that 7MM.
I'd prefer to have the .308 in a semi-auto, like a DSA FN/FAL style rifle.
For a bolt-action, I'll take the 7MM.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I think they guy meant 7mm-08 vs .308. The 7mm is a better bullet as far as ballistics are concerned. The 30cal will give you more selection in bullets. If you don't reload, then go .308 as there will be more available. If you reload then the 7mm would be a better choice. YMMV, JMHO & all that sh!t.
Scott
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#6]
There is a lot more 308 ammo to be had in tough times than 7mm.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#7]
wanst 7mm08 just baslicy a 308 for countrys that had banned military calibers to private citizens
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
wanst 7mm08 just baslicy a 308 for countrys that had banned military calibers to private citizens
View Quote

Yes, however it has been found to be a great combination. We all should spend a bit more time learning about balistics. Certain calibers out perform others all things being equal. The 7mm bullet in the same config, weight & velocity as a .30 cal will out-perform the .30.
There are other reasons to have a rifle other than a SHTF scene, therefore it doesn't matter if you can get .308 off a sympathetic Humvee gunner. The 700PSS is a surgical rifle and should be fed handloads to get the goodie out of it.
Scott
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Remington 700 Police LTR with a 20 inch barrel. I shoot 168 gr. Remington BTHP out of it and get dime size groups at 100. The ammo for this gun is way cheap compared to 7mm. Since the 308 was the NATO round, you can find some real good deals on surplus ammo.  Of course in the PSS you want to shoot the good match grade stuff though. I myself prefer the 308, however, I al considering the PSS in either 300 Win Mag or the 7mm. I already have the LTR in 308 and the PSS in 223. I love my LTR, what a tack driver!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Freedom Fighter

I couldn't make up my mind either, so I bought both.  Both rifles are Remington 700s.  I like both of them, but if I had to pick one it would be the 7mm (mag).  The recoil is enough to roll your eyes back in your head, but it is highly accurate and shoots flatter than the 308.  If you can afford it get both!

NCSHOOTER
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 10:10:43 PM EDT
[#11]
The thing about .308 is that the ammo is cheaper. There is tons a surplus ammo out there which would allow you practice more, Practice make a good shooter great. I but guns to shoot and shoot alot. Just my 2 cents.

Six
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top